PDA

View Full Version : Exmark really disappointing!

HenryB
06-12-2009, 09:24 PM
I've run so many exmarks I've lost count. I run multiple Turf Tracers 60 inchers. Great units but they are seaping oil around the tops of the hydro pumps. Not good.:cry: Left a message a month ago No reply no return call nothing. So I called earlier this week. Explained the issue and that it's a common problem. Asked what I could do not looking for a freebie Just, is there an updated gasket? Etc? They said they'd get back to me nothing. I've already paid to have the seals fixed and they leak again within 200hrs. With their recent price increase and these WB's going for over $7g's COME ON BE A LITTLE MORE PROFFESSIONAL. YEA WITH ALL THE MONEY I'VE SPENT ON EXMARKS I'M A BIT PO'D

Icepuck72
06-12-2009, 09:25 PM
If you've always had trouble with them, why do you continue to purchase them????

tacoma200
06-12-2009, 09:30 PM
I've run so many exmarks I've lost count. I run multiple Turf Tracers 60 inchers. Great units but they are seaping oil around the tops of the hydro pumps. Not good.:cry: Left a message a month ago No reply no return call nothing. So I called earlier this week. Explained the issue and that it's a common problem. Asked what I could do not looking for a freebie Just, is there an updated gasket? Etc? They said they'd get back to me nothing. I've already paid to have the seals fixed and they leak again within 200hrs. With their recent price increase and these WB's going for over $7g's COME ON BE A LITTLE MORE PROFFESSIONAL. YEA WITH ALL THE MONEY I'VE SPENT ON EXMARKS I'M A BIT PO'D

You could call Exmark and try to get the bottom of it. My dealer said Exmark wouldn't fix the seeping hoses on my 05 Lazer Z but Exmark let him know there had been a recall on them because they used the wrong connectors or they didn't crimp correctly to the hose. It's worth a shot.

HenryB
06-12-2009, 09:32 PM
If you've always had trouble with them, why do you continue to purchase them????

There a great unit. But they should not be leaking around the pumps.

TMlawncare
06-12-2009, 10:18 PM
I have 3 Turf tracers. Most seals start leaking at around 800hrs. We have had one machine resealed at 1600hrs, and one machine at 900hrs. Our other machine has 1100hrs and still has not leaked. Total cost to reseal the pump $70 or $140 for the pair. Really not a bad price if you think about it. It just maintenance. Some machines eat belts or spindles, the Exmark TT's leak around the pumps as they age. In my eyes its not a big deal. Still one of the best machines ever made.

HenryB
06-12-2009, 11:11 PM
I have 3 Turf tracers. Most seals start leaking at around 800hrs. We have had one machine resealed at 1600hrs, and one machine at 900hrs. Our other machine has 1100hrs and still has not leaked. Total cost to reseal the pump $70 or $140 for the pair. Really not a bad price if you think about it. It just maintenance. Some machines eat belts or spindles, the Exmark TT's leak around the pumps as they age. In my eyes its not a big deal. Still one of the best machines ever made.

Totally agree with you. But I think they should have better customer support. Also I've run many other brands and only the Exmarks have this issue. In my are it's $100 per pump not so cheap. In the tri-state area everything is more.

viper00085
06-13-2009, 10:06 AM
if they are within the 2 yr wty then of course , exmark has never turned our dealership down on resealing any leaking pump, and we have seen a lot of them.

A big factor in the leaks we were told was the decline in quality of the mobil 15w50 oil over the years and customer not changing the hydro oil every 250hrs or once yearly as directed in the manuals. And I have to agree, I have one big natl customer who was not so good on maintence and as soon as there units hit 300-350 hrs and still did not change the hydro oil, they had leak issues. The oil gets so thin and sheared, the pumps run hotter and we have expansion issues and the top head seals of the pumps get rock hard and brittle from being cooked basically.

this is why toro and exmark came out with there own hydro oil, too try and get back to a more durable oil. instead of having to change it at 250 like with the mobil oil, now on the new next gen lazers they can go 500hrs when using the exmark branded oil.

so the best thing to do is stay on top of hydro oil, filter maintence and use the exmark oil and i think you will eliminate or at least cut down on your pump leaks in the future.

HenryB
06-13-2009, 10:59 AM
if they are within the 2 yr wty then of course , exmark has never turned our dealership down on resealing any leaking pump, and we have seen a lot of them.

A big factor in the leaks we were told was the decline in quality of the mobil 15w50 oil over the years and customer not changing the hydro oil every 250hrs or once yearly as directed in the manuals. And I have to agree, I have one big natl customer who was not so good on maintence and as soon as there units hit 300-350 hrs and still did not change the hydro oil, they had leak issues. The oil gets so thin and sheared, the pumps run hotter and we have expansion issues and the top head seals of the pumps get rock hard and brittle from being cooked basically.

this is why toro and exmark came out with there own hydro oil, too try and get back to a more durable oil. instead of having to change it at 250 like with the mobil oil, now on the new next gen lazers they can go 500hrs when using the exmark branded oil.

so the best thing to do is stay on top of hydro oil, filter maintence and use the exmark oil and i think you will eliminate or at least cut down on your pump leaks in the future.

Thank you for the info. That would have been plenty for Exmark to tell me. But to tell me they have not heard of this issue until now is just shady and unprofesional.

tallimeca
06-14-2009, 12:49 PM
first off, exmark doesn't manufacture or build the hydro components, like with any piece of equipment. They rely on their vendors for information. I know it's frustrating, but would you call exmark about a problem with the Kawaski or Kohler engine? The answer is no. If Exmark didn't satisfy you needs, i would call hydrogear direct. I understand your frustration. Leaking and seeping pumps are a pain in the but. Especially if you are a stickler about keeping your equipment clean. Good luck. I have not seen any of these issues.

Log673
06-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Changing the hydro oil is one of the next items on my list. I have had the same leaking problem at only 270 hours.

HenryB
06-14-2009, 05:05 PM
first off, exmark doesn't manufacture or build the hydro components, like with any piece of equipment. They rely on their vendors for information. I know it's frustrating, but would you call exmark about a problem with the Kawaski or Kohler engine? The answer is no. If Exmark didn't satisfy you needs, i would call hydrogear direct. I understand your frustration. Leaking and seeping pumps are a pain in the but. Especially if you are a stickler about keeping your equipment clean. Good luck. I have not seen any of these issues.

Maybe it is only the ones in the NJ, NY CT area. Everyone I know running these has their pumps seaping at the seals. Other than that amazing machine.

brucec32
06-14-2009, 06:34 PM
Apparently not getting calls returned isn't that uncommon with some of these looney dealers.

This winter I went by a Toro/Gravely dealer and left my number and asked them to give me a call when Grandstands arrived (any day they were expected) so I could come see it as I was in the market for another machine. No call ever came.

Called same dealer a couple weeks ago and left my number twice (their message said to leave a message if they were not answering as they were away from the phone) to get a machine repaired and simply to call and leave a message to confirm it would be ok to drop it off the next day. No return call ever came.

The good thing for me is I got disgusted enough to not want to ever take it there (next closest dealer was a 2 hour round trip in traffic) as I figure if people can't treat you right when you're trying to hand them money they probaby won't do that great a job. So I troubleshoot it myself and after a few trials I fixed it myself for free. Meanwhile dealers are closing due to lack of business. Some just don't seem to get it.

Btw, drove by this place at noon on Saturday on the way to a movie and it was closed up tight. I guess they want more than their winters off! I'm curious if it occurs to them that LCO's and residential customers alike have better things to do weekdays than mower shop?

HenryB
06-14-2009, 07:26 PM
I called Exmark the company not a dealer.:cry:

sjessen
06-14-2009, 08:48 PM
I have 2 full sized tracers and both of them have this problem. Had one repaired and may do the other one this winter. Good to know the new oil helps with this issue.