PDA

View Full Version : Honda or Kawasaki?

timber132007
06-12-2009, 09:39 PM
I'm looking to purchase another Exmark Metro 21" mower and was wondering if the Honda GXV160 would be a better engine choice than the Kawasaki FJ180V. I know this has been discussed before but I'm looking for fresh opinions on which would be better.

I have a Metro 21" with the Kawasaki on it currently and have had pretty good luck with it. It seems to have sufficient power and cranks first pull every time. The only thing I don't like about it is it has a slight flutter sometimes. By flutter I mean it cuts out a little but never has cut off. It doesn't do it a lot so it hasn't been a major concern.

My dilemna is should I go with less power, fuel capacity but almost certain reliability with the Honda GXV160 or should I stick with the Kawasaki?

tacoma200
06-12-2009, 09:50 PM
I don't know that honda would be more reliable. If there are issues with Kawaskaki I was unaware. I have full confidence in the Kawasaki line, all sizes.

dishboy
06-12-2009, 09:54 PM
You will get years and years of service out of the Honda and use less fuel doing it.

timber132007
06-12-2009, 11:43 PM
I don't know that honda would be more reliable. If there are issues with Kawaskaki I was unaware. I have full confidence in the Kawasaki line, all sizes.

I've read a few older threads that mentioned problems with the Kawi 6hp before they went to the new air filtration system. I'm a big fan of Kawasaki and hope everything is worked out now with the 6hp engine.

The only thing that makes me nervous is the random minor cutting out mine does. I don't know if that is an indicator of problems to come. It seems like everyone is in agreement on the Honda 5.5hp being ultra reliable so its a tough decision.

Any feedback from others that have experience with these engines would be greatly appreciated.

birdman0494
06-13-2009, 01:18 AM
this mught be a little off topic but i got a little 21 troybilt with the onda engine i think ita 190 or 160 cc and dam that thing takes a beating excellent engine

tacoma200
06-13-2009, 02:04 AM
I've read a few older threads that mentioned problems with the Kawi 6hp before they went to the new air filtration system. I'm a big fan of Kawasaki and hope everything is worked out now with the 6hp engine.

The only thing that makes me nervous is the random minor cutting out mine does. I don't know if that is an indicator of problems to come. It seems like everyone is in agreement on the Honda 5.5hp being ultra reliable so its a tough decision.

Any feedback from others that have experience with these engines would be greatly appreciated.

I hadn't heard that. Honda definitely has a good reputation. No doubt I could sleep well at night knowing I had a Honda engine on anything.

joed
06-14-2009, 07:06 PM
I have a 2008 Exmark Metro 21" with the 6 hp Kawasaki FJV180 KAI series engine. It's been very good and much improved over the previous version that came out in 2004. Much quieter, more fuel efficient and more smoother so I'd vote for that engine but the honda gxv160 is excellent too though not as powerful as the kawasaki.

dishboy
06-14-2009, 07:58 PM
I wish they would spec the GSV 190 for that mower, most HP and torgue of any of these engines and 22 lbs!

BadRancher
06-14-2009, 08:34 PM
I'm not an expert in the mower world when it come to honda and kawi motors, but in the ATV world Honda is known for durability and not so much power and Kawi is known for power and not so much durability. On this forum it seems a lot of people like Kawi motors. I have them on my metro and my bobcat and I like them. I think when it comes to small (not small big bore V's) honda has the better quality.
Posted via Mobile Device