PDA

View Full Version : Brick Patios

Landscaping Fool
04-07-2002, 09:27 PM
HOW MUCH TO CHARGE FOR A BRICK PATIO JOB.

MuskTurfKing
04-07-2002, 09:30 PM
LOL! Give SOME kind of info, that is completely impossible without knowing anything.

I say $5.

Hank

Landscaping Fool
04-07-2002, 09:35 PM
Minimal excivating simpe patern what sould i charge per sq. ft. Small amount of cuts.

mxrdrvr3
04-07-2002, 09:58 PM
what will the job cost you to do? how many sq ft is it? what is considered a small amout of cuts? what is considered minimal excavation?

there needs to be much more info here

Lanelle
04-07-2002, 10:08 PM
Welcome to Lawnsite. Now, turn off your caps and lets talk pavers.

What kind of pavers are you using, clay or concrete? Is it in the backyard with lousy access or next to the street curb? Do you have crummy, unstable soil, thus needing a deeper compacted base? You really need to look at a number of factors to gain any idea about costs. If you haven't been doing these, its going to take you longer and you will have rental costs for equipment if you don't own the proper tools and equip.

DaveK
04-08-2002, 12:48 AM
The price for installs varies a lot depending on what state you are in, and even from county to county at times.
In Oakland county Michigan, for regular (not tumbled or "antiqued") concrete pavers (nobody here uses clay pavers) excavated for 6" base, average design, average pattern, moderate amount of cuts, not a difficult location, the going rate is $12 to $14 per sq. ft.

Wholesale cost of pavers - $1.95 to 2.33
Wholesale cost of base- $18.00 per cu yd (about 42¢per sq ft at 6" depth)

If you need material delivered 'cause your truck won't handle the weight or you need to rent equipment to compact base or cut pavers, that would have to come out of your profit. 'Cause you can't charge more than your competitors simply because of your added costs. The same goes for the length of time it takes you to install them, you are paid by the sq ft, not an hourly rate.

You need to find out what the going rate is in your area, cause you can only charge what the market will allow you. You can't base your price on all your costs. The only thing you can base a higher price on, is the cost of more expensive pavers, or a very difficult location.

I don't know what the market for pavers is like where you live, but here the market is pretty good. There is good money in installing pavers, provided of course that you do quality work and lay them quickly.

Stonehenge
04-08-2002, 09:32 PM
DaveK -

You using slag sand?

I'm glad I'm in Wisconsin (formerly from Detroit area) for two reasons when it comes to base material:

Limestone is plentiful (no need to use materials with lead and cadmium in them), and

Limestone is plentiful (can be purchased for $6/ton or less).

And I know, nobody does clay there. I didn't, either. And it's too bad, because there are some nice colors and textures you can only get with clay.

As for Landscaping fool: You need to give us volumes more information - we've done jobs for as little as $6/sqft and as much as $17/sqft, and everywhere in between. When you have information like:

Site access
Materials to be used
Exact square footage
Design

Then we'll have something to work with.

Landscaping Fool
04-08-2002, 09:41 PM
Ok i see what you guys are saying. My cost of Oberfield concrete pavers is $2.30 per sq. ft. 304 crushed limestone costs me $11.85 per ton. I have figuered on a 6 in base. I just purchased a Stone compactor with 4000 lbs of encentrical force, 5.5 honda. Hey thanks for you tips so far.

paul
04-08-2002, 10:03 PM
Recheck your paver costs, Holland stone here run $1.91, we're buying them for $1.71 or less.

DaveK
04-08-2002, 10:19 PM
I know Holland stone is cheaper. I can get Holland stone for 1.55 cash price or 1.63 on account.

But I was giving average pavers at average cost. Around here that's LaFarge romanesque or Unilock classico. IMO Unilock is far overrated though, so I avoid it like the plague.

SCL
04-08-2002, 11:59 PM
Okkay Dave, now you've peaked my interest. Why are Unilock's products overrated? I use many pallets of Unilock each year,(hell I don't know how much exactly, more than some, less than paul:) and haven't been disappointed. I will say that I don't like classico, but that's just me. Just curious:rolleyes:

DaveK
04-09-2002, 08:10 AM
SCL, mainly 'cause they cost more and are no better in quality than many others. They just have better name recognition, many home owners will ask for unilock or unilocking pavers when all they really are asking for is interlocking pavers.
A little bit like some one asking for kleenex when they want a facial tissue. Or jello when they want gelatine. :)

Landscaping Fool
04-09-2002, 11:44 AM
Will most places give you a contractors discount. Does it vary by how much you buy from them. When you bill these jods do you stick strickly to the sq. ft. price or do you break it down by supplies and labor.

Stonehenge
04-09-2002, 03:42 PM
Dave, I'm not so sure I agree with you.

Now I haven't been in Detroit for awhile, but Unilock even then had a product that was better than any others I worked with. Who do you find to have equal/higher quality?

SCL, FYI, the Chicago Unilock guys say they make better pavers than Detroit. Could be machismo thing, but they said they do better with regard to size specs and consistent colors.

DaveK
04-09-2002, 07:25 PM
Landscaping Fool,
yes you should get a contractors discount. You will probably have to show your DBA the first time at the dealer.
We never break it down into material and labor for paver jobs.

Stonehenge
Of course a Unilock guy will tell you that. :D
In my honest opinion, LaFarge has a better paver. Especially the surface of the paver, nice and smooth.
The LaFarge corporation itself is huge, and dwarfs Unilock in comparison. Most contractors in the building trade have heard of LaFarge. And I am sure that most canadians at lawnsite know how big LaFarge is.

Here is a few links:
LaFarge Corporation (www.lafarge.com (http://www.lafarge.com))
LaFarge Pavers (www.lafargepavers.com (http://www.lafargepavers.com/))

And LaFarge has the best hats, hands down. :) Once you wear a LaFarge hat, you'll never wear anything but.

Another small canadian company that is making some darn good pavers at a real good price is Santsar. And their salesman Nino is one of the most intelligent, honest and nicest salesman you will ever meet.

SCL
04-09-2002, 07:30 PM
I've had experience with several brands of pavers. I like Pave Loc and Unilock. I deal mostly with unilock for their price and marketing material. Quality with these two brands is comparable as is price. Its more an accessability issue. Everything else has paled in quality.

Stone,
I think your right with the" My daddy can whip your daddy" thing. I've been through their plant and been there several times. Can't believe they'd buy molds from different suppliers. I do like their customer support and their rep has always treated me well.

diginahole
04-09-2002, 07:44 PM
I have to agree DaveK, LaFarge makes a great paver. Their colours are fantastic too (probably better than UNILOCK). LaFarge's pricing, last time I checked, was right in line with Unilock. Unilock's dedication to it's contractor's and dealers and their unbeatable customer service has kept me coming back for many many years. There are alot of paver manufactures here in Southern Ontario, it's where Unilock introduced the interlocking paver to North America, and LaFarge is the only manufacturer who holds a candle to Unilock in finished product quality. Unilock bought up the others that came close.

kris
04-09-2002, 08:11 PM
Diginhole...just curious ...have you ever used Brooklin Concrete Products ... I dont believe their quality is as near as good as Unilock ... like I said...just curious.

diginahole
04-09-2002, 08:28 PM
Brookiln is the closest manufacturer from my yard, they make great septic tanks, but landscape products leave alot to be desired. The only time I would consider using them is if a customer insisted on using it, many old timers from Brooklin (the name of the village where the plant is) often do.

They use enormous aggregates in their concrete (3/4") which makes the split wall blocks look terrible. They shotblast the coping which IMO looks awful too. The paver shapes are limited and dated, the colours look like they still use dry pigment. The packaging is difficult to handle. But of course this is only my opinion, many may disagree. Brooklin does sell a fair amount of product in this area.

Stonehenge
04-09-2002, 09:59 PM
Dave,

Interesting about LaFarge -

They had no presence in Michigan 15 years ago (And my mother had a retail shop in downtown Rochester for 20 years, so I was in your neighborhood). They have no presence in Wisconsin now, at least from where I sit.

Hey, is Fendt still doing business around there?

DaveK
04-09-2002, 10:35 PM
Oh yea, Fendt is still hanging in. Not many dealers in this area that I know of. One dealer I know will still order it in for you, if you have a large enough job.

LaFarge is getting closer to Wisconsin, still have to spread from Ohio through Illinois first. :) They have gone east all the way to NY and PA I think.

I did a little work plowing snow in and around Rochester this past winter. That hill on Rochester Rd. just south of downtown is a lot of fun when it's icy. :eek: