PDA

View Full Version : Do I aerate or weed contrl first?

Tru
06-12-2009, 10:52 PM
I'm a new landscaper in the midwest and I have a customer who has a lawn that is 75% weed and clover. I have already de-thatched the lawn and I now need to Aerate, weed control and seed the lawn. I am looking for advise on the order I should proceed in. Do I aerate before doing the weed control - or after? Then if I do one before the other - how much time should I leave in between or I do them together? Also - I want to use Momentum to kill the clover - is this best - or is there a better product you can suggest? Advice appreciated.

ron mexico75
06-12-2009, 10:58 PM
I would kill first then aerate. I would imagine if using glyphosate (roundup) you could plant within a week or so after total die back or maybe sooner. I don't believe glyphosate leaches into the soil.

Not sure of the herbicide you mentioned so I won't comment on that. I do know out East where I'm at you only want to start a lawn from scratch in September when the days are warm and the nights are cool and weeds and crab grass aren't germinating.

Smallaxe
06-13-2009, 10:14 AM
Yes, get rid of the weeds first and see exactly what you got.
Dethatching was an unnecessary expense, especially if it turns into a renovation. (75% weeds does not produce thatch.)

Aeration is for what purpose? Compaction?

Unless you are very good at it - seeding now is a big crapshoot and you may likely have CG racing ahead of your lawn grasses.
However, if this lawn has been pre-m'd for a couple of years and you don't disturb the suface much, then overseeding and topdressing with a good topsoil or compost, you can expect more turf and less CG.