PDA

View Full Version : Redmax users helpful hints

TMlawncare
06-13-2009, 12:08 AM
Hey guys I have been using Redmax handhelds since 1994. God I miss the older stuff, damn EPA. Anyway I have several trimmers, hedge clippers, blowers, etc. The new stratocharged models have a few quirks that piss my employees and me off. First off the new trimmers have the guard so close you barely have any string to use, about 15," the old redmax trimmers gave you 18-20." Solution move the guard back about 1.5," you will not believe have much more control, balance, quality cut you will gain. Try it. Also, any Redmax owner will tell you that all the new, small trimmers, blowers are very cold blooded. When you start them they will bog, sometimes die and run like crap for the first minute or so. By doing this the machine is also carboning up. You will have to get it cleaned out in a couple months. Solution, well partial solution, my friend also a LCO told my about this and I just had to shake my head in disbelief. It could not really help. Well it really does. To cure the bogging or atleast help it get over its problem all you need to do is this. When you start it and it starts to bog, flip the machine upside down and hold it wide open. You will notice that it no longer bogs and runs extremely well. Let it run for a 10 seconds or upside down and your good to go. I still can not believe this works but hey my employees and I don't complain as much now.
One other things that is kinda strange is the bigger Redmax machines, backpack blowers, big chainsaws do not suffer nearly as bad with the bogging problems of the smaller displacement machines. Wonder why.
Anyway just thought I would share a few helpful Redmax tip with you. Remember move guards back 1.5" and if it boggs, don't worry just flip it upside down for 10seconds or so. Enjoy.

Btw, we bought one of the Stihl 4-mix models last year. FS100rx I believe. Crappy balance, good engine, short string, not easy to move guard back. My employees and I all have tried it and as of now it has less then 3hrs on it. No one will use it. They will grab the most carboned up Redmax before they will touch that machine. Then all say that the Redmax is just more comfortable to trim with, I agree 100%.

redmax fan
06-13-2009, 12:19 AM
thanx for info , i'll try the upside down move monday

maybe this might help you . you know how on redmax whips it can become hard to get the string to feed out . well besides washing all the dirt out of heads every day or two which is necesary ive also found that after washing and drying spray the entire insides of head / cap and the spool with furniture polish then let dry before stringing up . the polish / wax makes it slippery inside head which helps the string to feed out easier

TMlawncare
06-14-2009, 12:16 AM
If anyone else has some helpful tips let us know

Turf Dawg
07-18-2009, 11:18 AM
I would like to thank you for the "upside down" advice. It works great for my Shindy, Echo and Kaw as well. I start all of them at idle and then turn them upside down and pull the throttle for a few seconds. Works great.

Yater
07-18-2009, 01:10 PM
I wish my ebz7001 would start first pull like my kawasaki stuff. It takes 3 or 4 pulls on choke and then a couple of minutes to warm up before it'll take any throttle. It's no big deal but a pita when it's 107* out.

FastMan
07-18-2009, 01:32 PM
How long have the strato charged models been out? My red max is in its 4th season, and has always had a problem with initial startup bogging. Don't know if I have a strato or not. Either way, I'll try your tip anyway. Thanks.

HenryB
07-18-2009, 01:36 PM
How long have the strato charged models been out? My red max is in its 4th season, and has always had a problem with initial startup bogging. Don't know if I have a strato or not. Either way, I'll try your tip anyway. Thanks.

The Strato's are awful.

redmax fan
07-18-2009, 01:39 PM
i agree the stratos were a down grade , i miss my old bc225 whip

and in case dont know about stratos it helps by pulling the spark arrestor out of muffler , otherwise they clog up and suffocate motor down to low r's

FastMan
07-18-2009, 01:53 PM
The Strato's are awful.

Just went down to the shop and checked mine. Yep, it's a strato all right. :gunsfirin

It was a hell of a good ski when it came out though. :clapping:

Mike Blevins
07-18-2009, 02:34 PM
One thing I have found is that using Seafoam seems to keep all of my Redmax equipment running very strong. Don't have a Schedule just pic up a can now and then and mix it with the gas. I have a trimmer on its 6th season now and still runs great.

Alan0354
07-18-2009, 04:11 PM
I think RM is not the only one that use strato technology anymore. I think Kawi, Maruyama and Tanaka all have some sort of this kind of technology. I notice from the parts diagram, the new Kawi KGT27A has a new engine different from last year. You can see there is a cut off on the side of the piston like the RM strato engine. Tanaka have some sort of passage along the side wall of the crankcase at the surface of the two half bolted together behind the gasket. I think it's matter of time all will become like this.

When I bought my multi tool unit, I chose Shindaiwa M242 mainly because it is still a traditional engine with cat converter on it. I have absolutely no problem starting or cold nature. I am happy with it so far. I am just happy I bought it before Shindy change too.

Interesting though, I have the Maruyama BL8100 which is the Kawi KRB750. It is supposed to have some sort of strato stuff also. BUt there is no sign of cold nature at all, always 2 two pull start and no warmup.

FastMan
07-22-2009, 12:42 PM
TMlawncare, thanks for the "turn it upside down" tip. Works like a charm. All that warm up bogging I've been dealing with off and on for 3 years now is gone for good in a about 3 seconds when you flip it over.

greenred
07-22-2009, 03:37 PM
One thing I have found is that using Seafoam seems to keep all of my Redmax equipment running very strong. Don't have a Schedule just pic up a can now and then and mix it with the gas. I have a trimmer on its 6th season now and still runs great.

Same here. Sea Foam is great. I have 2 Redmax trimmers going on 9 years old with the original carbs. They run as good as the day I bought them.

LuvMyFerris
07-22-2009, 05:13 PM
My mechanics advise about Redmax stuff is to avoid all fuels which are ethanol blended, if you have no choice but to use them, run some sort of additive in your fuel, any additive like seafoam, mmo, carb cleaner, stp fuel treatment, etc. He says the ethanol plays havoc on these engines. I will try the upside down thing too.

ltmarkb3
07-22-2009, 05:43 PM
I delt with all of these, the way I fixed it is BUY KAWASAKI

lawnboy dan
07-25-2009, 09:37 AM
my strato charger trimmer has run flawless . its the best i have owned so far

redmax fan
07-25-2009, 10:01 AM
weve been using the seafoam a month , and have also removed the mufflers and cleaned out built up carbon in the exhaust ports during that time as well (very east process) on all three of our rmax whips which are from 5 to 2 years old and boy are they running better . the oldest one isnt as smooth as new at low idle , but at high rpm's its got its top speed and power back . and we'd been wasting money / time on carb rebuilds / new carbs , while the problem seems to have always been the built up carbon in cylinder / exhaust port . the seafoan has also given our rmax blowers more power , it took about a month it seems for the seafoam to get everything cleaned out . and now all our motors are humming . and yes the upside down start up method works for me to , thanx for tip

Turf Dawg
07-25-2009, 08:09 PM
I delt with all of these, the way I fixed it is BUY KAWASAKI

Well my Kaw string trimmer is not bad, but my Kaw short reach hedge trimmer is just as cold blooded as the rest. So the upside down works on Kaw too.

Alan0354
07-26-2009, 02:21 AM
Well my Kaw string trimmer is not bad, but my Kaw short reach hedge trimmer is just as cold blooded as the rest. So the upside down works on Kaw too.

The short reach have strato type engine from the get go. They just change the KGT27a to strato this year. Last year was still the traditional engine. Disappointing. I was considering the short reach hedge trimmer until I check the parts diagram. I settle with the Shindaiwa M242 instead. At least it is traditional engine and it is not cold nature. It is perfect.

Just curious. Since the strato engine run so lean, anyone use extra oil to compensate for the lean burning engine?

Ben's Landscape
07-26-2009, 09:58 AM
I have no problems with my string trimmer. It starts on one pull most of the time if not two pulls.

My BP takes that 4-5 pulls even if it has just ran at the last job.

Haven't had a problem with the carbon. I think it is because i run it wide open most of the time.

Turf Dawg
07-26-2009, 11:31 AM
[QUOTE=Alan0354;3110027] I settle with the Shindaiwa M242 instead. At least it is traditional engine and it is not cold nature. It is perfect.

I guess we may have different starting procedures because my T 242 needs turned upside down also. I prime then choke and with no throttle I give it a pull or two then take off the choke and pull. So it starts on two or three pulls [usually two] then I hold it upside down and give it throttle for about 10 seconds. If I do not hold it upside down I either have to feather the choke or let it idle a minute or so. I will say that out of all my stuff that the 4mix Stihls are the only things that I do not hold upside down now, most of the time I try to start them without the coke on the first pull and allot of time they fire up.

Alan0354
07-26-2009, 02:40 PM
[QUOTE=Alan0354;3110027] I settle with the Shindaiwa M242 instead. At least it is traditional engine and it is not cold nature. It is perfect.

I guess we may have different starting procedures because my T 242 needs turned upside down also. I prime then choke and with no throttle I give it a pull or two then take off the choke and pull. So it starts on two or three pulls [usually two] then I hold it upside down and give it throttle for about 10 seconds. If I do not hold it upside down I either have to feather the choke or let it idle a minute or so. I will say that out of all my stuff that the 4mix Stihls are the only things that I do not hold upside down now, most of the time I try to start them without the coke on the first pull and allot of time they fire up.

I had a chance to have a second M242 for a few weeks, it was exactly the same. I prime a few times, close the choke all the way and pull. A lot of time it will fire up on the second or the third pull. If I am fast enough to open the choke all the way, they will keep idling. If I gun it immediately, it will die. If I just let it idle for 20 seconds, I can rev it up with no problem. Usually it take me longer after starting to walk to the spot to trim so it is really not a problem. I don't believe gunning the engine when it is cold anyway because this would build up too much heat differential in the engine where uneven expension of metal cause more stress and it is not good in the long run.

My Maru blower is a strato engine, but it is always 2 pull start and by the time I put it on, it is ready to go. I never try to gun it right after cold start because there is no point.