PDA

View Full Version : First ever outdoor project with paver blocks

coldfusion11
06-13-2009, 01:09 AM
So i just did my first ever landscaping thing at my new trailer I bought here in michigan.

I put a 6' x 3' patio paver thing in front of my shed becuase there used to be gravel there and it was ugly and they shot all over the yard.

I dug about 7" in the ground and used about 13 bags and filled in about 4" of step one paver base and then 7 bags about 2" of leveling sand step two. Al compacted with one of those 8" by 8" square things with the handle on the end.

It turned out great I think after I swept the cracks full. I am proud of myself!!!!

THe one question I have is how do you make the grass level with the pavers? I have that cheap green landscape edging to put around it I was told to do at the end but not sure how to do it with the grass line so high?

Here are some pics...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/coldfusion11/100_2447.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/coldfusion11/100_2448-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/coldfusion11/100_2449-1.jpg

kabrac
06-13-2009, 11:52 AM
Good job, but you dug to deep for that little area. You don't have to go that deep on something like that, but you did it right, good. Your grass is higher because, like I said you set your pavers too deep, should have been a little higher than the grass roots to compensate for a little settling and to help with water drainage. When it rains you may have an issue. You could just pick up the pavers and add 2''-3'' more inches of base.

kabrac
06-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Oh, Wait a minute, I looked at the picture again and if you added more fill base then the pavers would block your shed doors from opening. You could dig out and try and slope the area slightly downward. Take the sod and fill in some bare spots if you have any.

GMTA
06-13-2009, 12:59 PM
Shed is too low

cudaclan
06-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Shed is too low

No, lawn is too high. :laugh:

Bru75
06-13-2009, 03:17 PM
I think you may need to dig a drainage ditch away from your pavers. Not only will the rain puddle there, but it might also run into the shed.
Looks good, though.

coldfusion11
06-14-2009, 01:01 AM
Yes, the shed sunk in the ground so the grass is higher than the shed you can even see it on the sides.

I had to dig that deep because I lost the recipt and couldnt return the extra bags so I said hey il just dig it deeper to compensate.

Yes the doors clear the pavers by about 1/4" so i couldnt go any higher.

I need to know how to properly level out the grass the right way so i dont just get a chainsaw out and pretend im trimming the hedges.

Either way there was nothing I could do about it cuz the grass is higher than the shed because it sank because in the trailer park here there is not good water drainage into the storm drains so the ground water stays wet for a while.

please help. Im trying to just make it look nice So I can incresae the value of the home.

GreenLight
06-14-2009, 03:08 AM
Getting the grass to match up with the pave stone isn't a huge chore, the problem is you will still have a drainage issue. Honestly that drainage issue isn't a huge factor if you don't mind digging a small trench and directing the water away with a catch basin on one side or a french drain that basically bridges the face of the pave stone at the front and then goes somewhere else. That being said it would still have certainly helped to have a 1/2 to 1 inch slope on the pave stone going in the direction you wanted away from the shed doors. Oh well, to late for that considering you don't want to redo it I think you will probably survive..Sorry, anyway simple solution for grass..(This is going to sound like a bit of work, but honestly it shouldn't take more than 2-3 hours).

1) Line out a perimeter off the pave stones outer edge about 5-7 feet all the way around, cut the grass out with a straight edging shovel with the intent to replace the grass when finished (basically, you want to save the grass, so try to cut it out with subsurface dirt on the roots much like a piece of sod).

2) After that it just a matter of light excavation and regrading. Obviously it's going to flow directly toward the pave stone now, but at this point you are pretty much stuck with that unless you raise it.

3) Ultimately you want to recreate a smooth flowing grade that starts at the outer perimeter and then breaks gently down and finishes about 1/2 - 1 inch below the top of pave stone. If done right its going to have a slight bowl effect but you shouldn't have a hard break.

4) Replace your grass, cut in like sod if necessary.

** The biggest drawback here is you are still channeling water straight towards the door and some form of drainage will probably become a necessity.**

4)