PDA

View Full Version : Toro Grandstand Review.....

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-13-2009, 05:29 AM
I bought a 23hp 52" GS on Thursday. I have to say that the machine is built very well. The ride is very nice and above all the cut quality is fantastic.

I have been mowing with Wright Standers for 6 years... I really love the agility and speed of those machines but I finally had enough with the poor cut quality when mower conditions were not perfect.

I mowed 17 lawns on my first day out on the machine. My overall rating would be an A, with some small areas that have room for improvement.......many of which I think I can make some adjustments and solve.

Things I like:
1. the cut quality - I mowed in a drizzle in the morning and had no problems with clumping.....With the Stander I probably would have been cussing.... As conditions improved things just got better.... Eventually I adjusted the baffle closed and was very impressed with the dispersion of the clippings..

2. The ride was very comfortable. I got to do some hill mowing and it did just fine once I got the "feel" of it.

Things I could like better...

1. the speed - I am gonna mess around with this a little......I am sure this can be adjusted up....

2. the control panel is at what I think is an awkward angle. the control ar kinda in the way of easily getting to the throttle, etc... this is something I will just have to get used to...

3. Control levers were VERY stiff......hoping to adjust those as well.....

Overall I have very happy...... I think as I get more time on it, and the controls before more "sub-conscience" it will get even better.....

delphied
06-13-2009, 09:31 AM
Whats the word on the striping? I am going to demo one next week. Do you know if there is a huge difference between a 52 and 48 on uneven lawns, etc.?

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-13-2009, 09:56 AM
it stripes well with out any type of kits..........but I will probably add a rubber flap as I have on all my mowers, the wheel base on this mower is so wide that I cant see how you would need to go small than a 52"

Lawn Enforcer
06-13-2009, 10:42 AM
What did you pay for it? (if you don't mind me asking)

metro36
06-13-2009, 02:08 PM
My dealer has quite a few of them that I druel over every time I go in to his shop. I have only driven one on his lot but it seem to be a sweet machine.

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-13-2009, 04:35 PM
I have not paid a single penny yet, I took the 36 month 0% interest loan., but the price was $8019.00 out the door......you can get a good discount if you mow for a church, school, gov. office etc......

Unfortunately I do not.......

ToroLandscaper
06-13-2009, 04:41 PM
I bought a 23hp 52" GS on Thursday. I have to say that the machine is built very well. The ride is very nice and above all the cut quality is fantastic.

I have been mowing with Wright Standers for 6 years... I really love the agility and speed of those machines but I finally had enough with the poor cut quality when mower conditions were not perfect.

I mowed 17 lawns on my first day out on the machine. My overall rating would be an A, with some small areas that have room for improvement.......many of which I think I can make some adjustments and solve.

Things I like:
1. the cut quality - I mowed in a drizzle in the morning and had no problems with clumping.....With the Stander I probably would have been cussing.... As conditions improved things just got better.... Eventually I adjusted the baffle closed and was very impressed with the dispersion of the clippings..

2. The ride was very comfortable. I got to do some hill mowing and it did just fine once I got the "feel" of it.

Things I could like better...

1. the speed - I am gonna mess around with this a little......I am sure this can be adjusted up....

2. the control panel is at what I think is an awkward angle. the control ar kinda in the way of easily getting to the throttle, etc... this is something I will just have to get used to...

3. Control levers were VERY stiff......hoping to adjust those as well.....

Overall I have very happy...... I think as I get more time on it, and the controls before more "sub-conscience" it will get even better.....

I would absolutely NOT adjust the speed, it is going to void your warranty. It really is just not a good idea, this stuff is commercial equipment and it comes from the factory with the "prime" settings. You pay 8,000 for a machine because it has been engineered to perform at its peak. I can not stress enough that you should not tweak your speed.

As far as the control levers, on every new/newer machine I have had they are always stiff and tight from being new, they normally loosen up a bit.....

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-13-2009, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the input.

I have always tweaked the RPMs on every commercial machine I have ever owned (12-13) and never had a problem getting warranty work done....

anyway I brought the RPMs up to 3600, this morning and found the machine to be quite a bit more responsive and overall quicker....

johnnybravo8802
06-13-2009, 11:05 PM
I have not paid a single penny yet, I took the 36 month 0% interest loan., but the price was $8019.00 out the door......you can get a good discount if you mow for a church, school, gov. office etc......

My dealer has a 19/48 for $6700 and that's a steal. I wrote a review also and was very impressed. The thing I disliked the most was the lack of traction while in the WB mode. It needs some weight and wouldn't pull too well until I started standing on it again. It is much better in riding mode but a good compromise overall.

lifetree
06-14-2009, 12:06 AM
... you can get a good discount if you mow for a church, school, gov. office etc ...

How ?? I dodn't know any dealer or manufacturer that will disocunt for that !!

lifetree
06-14-2009, 12:09 AM
... The thing I disliked the most was the lack of traction while in the WB mode. It needs some weight and wouldn't pull too well until I started standing on it again. ...

Interesting, first time I've heard that !!

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-14-2009, 08:41 AM
you just have to produce proof like a signed contract that you work for one of those organizations.....the discount was somewhere in the $1300 range...

johnnybravo8802
06-14-2009, 09:46 AM
you just have to produce proof like a signed contract that you work for one of those organizations.....the discount was somewhere in the $1300 range...
I do a church. Does that apply everywhere? Toro doesn't tell you about these things.

ohiogreenworks
06-14-2009, 02:38 PM
DRM, if you don't mind what dealer did you get your mower from? Also, I talked with a lady at Gravely in Centerville and she said there are ground speed and motor speed adjustments? Like you can run the motor at full throttle but back down the ground speed so you don't spin tires etc while trying to go slow? Something I am not familar with, I am sure you have probably figured it out by now, just though I'd offer a heads up.

TXNSLighting
06-14-2009, 03:42 PM
The Grandstand is a bad ass! I got to demo one a few months ago and wow. I was so very impressed with it. Will definitely be purchasing one in the future.

FastMan
06-14-2009, 04:10 PM
you can get a good discount if you mow for a church, school, gov. office etc......

I talked to a dealer about that Toro program. I mow for the local non-profit historical society. Dealer told me the machine would have to be purchased by the non-profit. That sound right?

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-14-2009, 04:10 PM
I do a church. Does that apply everywhere? Toro doesn't tell you about these things.

as far as I know it applied everywhere....you may have to press your dealer a little.....

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-14-2009, 04:11 PM
I talked to a dealer about that Toro program. I mow for the local non-profit historical society. Dealer told me the machine would have to be purchased by the non-profit. That sound right?

according to my dealer that is false.....the first thing he asked me was if I mowed for one of those so I could get the discount......

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-14-2009, 04:14 PM
DRM, if you don't mind what dealer did you get your mower from? Also, I talked with a lady at Gravely in Centerville and she said there are ground speed and motor speed adjustments? Like you can run the motor at full throttle but back down the ground speed so you don't spin tires etc while trying to go slow? Something I am not familar with, I am sure you have probably figured it out by now, just though I'd offer a heads up.

other than the throttle I dont know of another engine adjustment that doesn't require tools........yes there is a ground speed adjustment but that is a joke.....makes very little difference on ground speed

I got mine through Bellbrook Lawn Equipment

FastMan
06-14-2009, 04:16 PM
according to my dealer that is false.....the first thing he asked me was if I mowed for one of those so I could get the discount......

Hmmmm,,,,, time for me to talk to another dealer.

lilweeds
06-14-2009, 06:08 PM
You need a signed contract from the non-profit/government institution and their tax id number. Technically the machine is only supposed to be used at that site. The discount is the full fleet 28%.

ricky86
06-14-2009, 06:14 PM

Actually, thats a good price. That finance program costs the dealer 3% of the total of your invoice. There is no free money. Some one has to pay.

ohiogreenworks
06-14-2009, 06:39 PM
other than the throttle I dont know of another engine adjustment that doesn't require tools........yes there is a ground speed adjustment but that is a joke.....makes very little difference on ground speed

I got mine through Bellbrook Lawn Equipment

How do you like dealing with them?

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-15-2009, 07:08 AM
Actually, thats a good price. That finance program costs the dealer 3% of the total of your invoice. There is no free money. Some one has to pay.

they told me that........and I offered to pay the the difference, because I was prepared to write a check and walk out with the mower.... But as far as my business goes the money is free...

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-15-2009, 07:10 AM
How do you like dealing with them?

honestly I didn't do much dealing, walked in filled out the paper work and walked out with the machine... I have been going there for 20 years....Stan is a straight shooter....he will tell it like it is.........

JKOOPERS
06-15-2009, 12:51 PM
Redmax does that also

robertsturf
06-15-2009, 01:22 PM
DRM, Have you had any problems with the throttle cables? We have had ours in several times because they are getting hot and the plastic cable cover is melting and causing the cable to slip. Our dealer finally trimmed the plastic cover off the cabel and so far has solved the problem. We feel the muffler cover is holding the heat in too much. I have thought about putting some fuel line heat wrap on the cables or a heat shield on the exhaust pipes. Other than the nit-picky issues these are exellent machines.

delphied
06-15-2009, 05:49 PM
I see nationallawncompany.com is $400 less across the board on all the Grandstands than my Toro dealer. They are based in NJ. My dealer would be deeply hurt if I showed that to him. They always say the prices are set by the manufacturer.

On another note, I saw a Wright Zkiller today on a lawn and the cut looked bad. Only lawn Ive seen cut by a Z killer so I dont know whats up.

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-15-2009, 07:25 PM
DRM, Have you had any problems with the throttle cables? We have had ours in several times because they are getting hot and the plastic cable cover is melting and causing the cable to slip. Our dealer finally trimmed the plastic cover off the cabel and so far has solved the problem. We feel the muffler cover is holding the heat in too much. I have thought about putting some fuel line heat wrap on the cables or a heat shield on the exhaust pipes. Other than the nit-picky issues these are exellent machines.

not as of yet.......why not just cut some holes in the heat shield

robertsturf
06-15-2009, 07:53 PM
I'm afraid that might create rust points or void the warranty? I am installing spark plug boots on them.

delphied
06-20-2009, 09:34 AM
I tested the 52 with 23 HP yesterday. I found out too late that the baffle should have been wide open for the wet conditons I was in. The mower left some patches standing. I was so impressed with the machine not bogging down that I may just get a 19 with the 48 deck if I get one. I too thought the controls were stiff. As a walkbehind, there isnt much traction if it is wet. It does hold inclines well.

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-20-2009, 12:09 PM
I installed a Qwikchute and got the Accelerator bagger yesterday......pics to come....

Bob_n_weave
09-09-2009, 12:00 PM
I installed a Qwikchute and got the Accelerator bagger yesterday......pics to come....

Pic's would be great ! Im thinking about buying both the Qwikchute and Accelerator for my Grandstand.

BTW: I have seen new Grandstands on e-bay for $7000. I payed $8000, but have A+ Service from my dealer.

thompson_lawncare
09-10-2009, 08:13 PM
I bought a Grandstand in early June and I love it. The throttle cable is a bit of a problem, we just tightened it down though and no real problems since. We have been breaking bolts for the wheels on the left side, probably due to turning because you always follow a building or property on the left hand side. Breaking the bolts is a pain, but an easy fix, but they should think of something better than holding the wheel on by two bolts. Overall we are very happy with the product and are going to purchase more in the future.