PDA

View Full Version : Input on the JD ZTR diesel...

djflats
06-13-2009, 08:39 AM
Is anyone on here familiar with the JD diesel ZTR? I'm not sure of the model number(997?), it's supposed to be new.
I work at an electrical utility and during the cutting season I maintain around 35 or so substation yards. Our Kubota tractor is on it's last leg after 15 plus years of service. They are probably going to replace it with the JD diesel ZTR. Anyone have any comments on the JD? How it handles high grass(weeds @ times), slopes, different terrain, etc. Thanks for any help.
http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/GC/media/images/series/ztr/diesel/997_407651_2col.jpg

BCNU
06-13-2009, 10:43 AM
I run one and it is a great mower. Have 2 freinds that run them also. Plenty of power,great on fuel and leaves a great cut. The 997 is not a new model it has been out for a few years. Good luck on you purchase!!

djflats
06-13-2009, 11:56 AM
I know ZT's aren't made for steep grades but does it do ok on hills, slopes? I'm talking about gradual slopes. I run a TANK at home and cut some hills and know it's limitations. Thanks.
BCNU...what size deck is yours'?

BCNU
06-13-2009, 12:57 PM
I have the 72 inch deck. This is a heavy mower so I am always careful not to go to fast down slopes but this is the case with most ztr's, especially when a little wet.

KCfireman
06-13-2009, 01:00 PM
You'll love the quality of Deere. I've ran them for 4 years and haven't had any problems except for a flat tire yesterday.:( Excellent machines, cut quality at its best.

djflats
06-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I haven't ran a Deere before so I'm doing a little "research" of my own. I'll be using the machine 95% of the time. I've been using ZTR's for the last 7-8 years so I know how to use them, just curious how this one will handle. The substation yards I cut have all different types of terrain. As with any machine, I'll use it and get use to it. My choices were the Hustler Super Z or Z. There's a JD dealer close to our headquarters so I think they'll go with it. I've only used TANKs and a few Hustlers so I'm not familiar with a lot of them. I get a lot of my information from you guys on here. Thanks again.

heather lawn sp
06-13-2009, 01:35 PM
We have 2 60' and a 72" 2005 issue

Given their height they are not great slope machines. they function best in open terrain. Our smaller machine has been re-equipped woth Carlilse Trac Chief's this has helped with traction.

djflats
06-13-2009, 02:07 PM
We have 2 60' and a 72" 2005 issue

Given their height they are not great slope machines. they function best in open terrain. Our smaller machine has been re-equipped woth Carlilse Trac Chief's this has helped with traction.

That's one reason why I may have chosen the Hustler Z...you sit lower, lower center of gravity.

DLCS
06-13-2009, 04:09 PM
i use my 997 72" on slopes that will make you pucker, never had any problems yet. Great machine, I want another one.

djflats
06-13-2009, 04:32 PM
i use my 997 72" on slopes that will make you pucker, never had any problems yet. Great machine, I want another one.

Good, I like to hear that.:laugh:

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-13-2009, 04:38 PM
our city muni uses them on really crazy terrain, our city is a actuall ravine at the bottom is the mowhawk river and the medians and walk wasy are laid out pretty steep and curvy with a ditch going down the middle, these arent very wide sections of grass either. i saw a guy who looked like he never worked a day in his life mow all that crazy grass with a 72" deck lol i was really impressed. i was not close enough to see his setup but he did a good job and the mowr didnt get into any trouble!

Donald A
06-13-2009, 05:12 PM
After 15 years of Kubota, why aren't you considering Kubota?

djflats
06-13-2009, 05:18 PM
After 15 years of Kubota, why aren't you considering Kubota?
Well it's not my decision. I just work for the place. The Kubota sure held up though. It is a B1750(?)4x4 tractor w/ a 48" bush hawg. I think the main reason they're going w/ the JD is because the dealer is about 5 miles away plus the mechanic at our garage has a son that works at JD.

heather lawn sp
06-13-2009, 05:55 PM

You can have our little one, it blew an injector pump this spring. JD, Yanmar, the dealership and I were not impress with that price of re-fit:cry:

mowbizniz
06-15-2009, 04:07 PM
I know ZT's aren't made for steep grades but does it do ok on hills, slopes? I'm talking about gradual slopes. I run a TANK at home and cut some hills and know it's limitations. Thanks.
BCNU...what size deck is yours'?

Noticed your Cub Tank. Have you demoed the new I-Series Tank with the steering wheel? It's the most impressive mower I've seen on hillsides. If that is a major concern.

djflats
06-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Noticed your Cub Tank. Have you demoed the new I-Series Tank with the steering wheel? It's the most impressive mower I've seen on hillsides. If that is a major concern.

Nope. I haven't even seen one yet other than on their web site.

mowbizniz
06-16-2009, 08:44 AM
Nope. I haven't even seen one yet other than on their web site.

I'm sure there are some trade offs ex. foot pedal for fwd and rev, more moving parts than a typical ZTR, etc. But I've never ridin any ZTR that you could turn nose down on a steep wet grade that wouldn't slide down hill except the I-Series Tank. If your Cub dealer doesn't have a demo he should be able to get one. They are a little pricey though.

djflats
06-16-2009, 08:55 PM
I'm not sure if the JD dealer sells Exmark too but they dropped off an Exmark(used) today until the company decides on what they're going to do. I don't know what year or model the Exmark is, I'm not very familiar with them. It says Lazer Z, Triton on the deck which is 66". The engine is a Kohler but I couldn't see what hp. Hopefully it won't rain tomorrow so I can try it out. I don't know if this is a trade-in or a demo but I'm ready to start cutting again.