PDA

View Full Version : the Scag Turf Tiger and the next Ex-mark

FromtheGroundUp
06-13-2009, 10:49 AM
I took them both out for a test this week.
I have ran Dixie Chopper for 7 years. my current dixie has about 1000hrs on it. and i fed up with this mower. not to mention the only dealer in the area is an hour away. So i plan to buy one of the following
1. Scag TT 61" 29hp LC fuel injected Kaw. $11,800
2. Next Ex-mark lazer z 60" 27hp koler $10,400
3. hustler super z 30hp koler $9600

the hustler is the only one i havent taken for demo yet. i dont expect this mower to preform as well as the scag or ex-mark. maybe it will suprise me!

The scag was a tank. the dampners were stiff making it hard to change direction(sore elbows at the end of the day).The ride was great. If you have back problems this mower is for you. the seat comfort is like no other.also it cut like a dream. i put it on a huge 4acre lawn thats fertilized and irrigated. this lawn grows 10inches a week. the Scag ate it up, and left no grass un-cut.

I liked the Lazer as well. the deck handled wet grass very well. i just wonder if the 27 koler isnt enough motor for some of my thick yards? the seat is better than some ive been on but its not even close to the TT.
Is anyone else worried about the new design of Hydro/wheel motors on the next lazer?

if any one can give me their opinion on the hustler super z, i would love to hear it.

tacoma200
06-13-2009, 03:27 PM
Nice review, you can get the full suspension seat on the Lazer (like the one on the Scag, made by Michigan Seat) for $600 or so. That helps the ride some but the Lazer will still have a shorter wheel base. The Hustler if equipped with flex forks and the extra suspension accessories will ride very well, better than the Scag. The Hustler doesn't cut as well here but it might there. You get used to the handling of the Scag and it becomes second nature but it's a tank no doubt, better suited to larger jobs. I was worried about the integrated pump/motor on the New Lazers but so far it seems to be doing great. Of course you won't be able to buy parts as easily for it like the older models that used standard pumps and motors. You will have to go directly through Exmark like John Deere because the parts will be specialized. You should test a 34 hp Kaw on the Exmark. The price is a little high on the Scag and I don't like the 30 hp Kohler but I like all other Kohlers.

djagusch
06-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Basically a 10 year design next to the latest and greatest. The Turf Tiger was way ahead of it's time back in 1998 when it came out. Besides engine, hydro, and deck combo's it's basically the same frame design. The fact that people are still comparing it's design to the newest says something great. I would go with the 10 year proven machine in a heartbeat.

fergman
06-14-2009, 11:56 AM
my 34hp on the next lazer..... the crank shaft was eat up and kawasaki is having the dealer fix it.
other than that it has unreal power. there really should never be any reason to need more power than what it has.
mow up steep hills full stick cutting off enough grass that its leaving streaks between the blades and it cant hardly spit the grass outta the deck and all you hear is the governor kick in. rpms hardly changes at all. just hope itll last after this.

GravelyGuy
06-14-2009, 12:04 PM
If you get the Lazer, I wouldn't pay $600 extra for the Michigan seat. You can get the Exmark suspension platform that goes under the existing seat for like $250 or just get your dealer to give it you and he probably will to make the sell.

The scag is a good machine, but you won't be disappointed with the Lazer. I wouldn't let the one piece pump/motors scare you, they seem solid.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-14-2009, 01:00 PM
if you buy a lazer z you should go for a bigger engine if you cut heavy and wet. i have a 34 kawi and i like it. if you worry about fuel consumption it isnt the way to go as mine eats fuel ! i think the turf tiger is a better machine for deep grass and fuel economy. i think a fuel injected hustler would really work good for you. try one out and let us know how you like it!

tacoma200
06-14-2009, 02:33 PM
If you get the Lazer, I wouldn't pay $600 extra for the Michigan seat. You can get the Exmark suspension platform that goes under the existing seat for like $250 or just get your dealer to give it you and he probably will to make the sell.

The scag is a good machine, but you won't be disappointed with the Lazer. I wouldn't let the one piece pump/motors scare you, they seem solid.

I have used both the add on and the full Suspension seat. I really like the design of the new Exmark seat but prefer the full suspension seat by a large margin. It rides better and you sit a couple of inches lower (estimate). That's just my opinion. No more ZTR's with out the full suspension seat and one reason I won't consider a JD. I would trade the old seat in on a suspension seat or keep the old one and sell it on ebay. I really don't like the feeling of sitting up higher and the way the add on suspension feels (better than nothing) but that's purely opinion. We have some rough lots though.

tacoma200
06-14-2009, 02:38 PM
my 34hp on the next lazer..... the crank shaft was eat up and kawasaki is having the dealer fix it.
other than that it has unreal power. there really should never be any reason to need more power than what it has.
mow up steep hills full stick cutting off enough grass that its leaving streaks between the blades and it cant hardly spit the grass outta the deck and all you hear is the governor kick in. rpms hardly changes at all. just hope itll last after this.

What did the dealer do to fix it? Hopefully Kawasaki replaced the engine and didn't try to go in and fix it. I would insist on a new engine. I would appreciate it if you would go into detail about this repair because a friend of mine got the 37 Kawasaki and it is already using oil and smoking. If there is a trend, which I doubt, it would be helpful for us to know on Lawnsite because it affects a lot of people getting ready to buy ZTR/engines. No way would I let a dealer basically overhaul a new engine when it's that new. Please let us know the story. Thanks!

tacoma200
06-14-2009, 02:42 PM
Basically a 10 year design next to the latest and greatest. The Turf Tiger was way ahead of it's time back in 1998 when it came out. Besides engine, hydro, and deck combo's it's basically the same frame design. The fact that people are still comparing it's design to the newest says something great. I would go with the 10 year proven machine in a heartbeat.

That's what I was thinking. The Tiger design is very dated but is holding it's own very well considering. I does look like Exmark did it's home work on this new one but time will tell. Actually they probably borrowed some idea's from other ZTR's like the tank under seat idea. The old dinosaur is holding on.:)

FromtheGroundUp
06-14-2009, 04:27 PM
thanks for shareing some input. Its tough to change brand but its time for Dixie to go for me.
i like both the tt and the lazer. i dont wont to rule out any other mowers though. i will demo a super z next week sometime. i hope it impresses me its like a grand cheaper.

SNAPPER MAN
06-14-2009, 04:48 PM
Scag has done something right with the turf tiger. The design has been out for over ten years and they are not changing it every few years like other ztr brands do. Scag must've done something right to not redesign for over 10 years. I bought a 61" turf tiger with the 27hp kohler a month ago and it is a great combo. The 27hp kohler is plenty of engine for a 61 and runs very very smooth. It sips enough has as is so I couldn't imagine having the bigger 31 and 35hp engines, its just not nescessary for a mower imo. I used to have a cubcadet tank and the scag is sooo superior. I also have used a toro and it is a totally different feel. Once you get used to the dampened hydrolics of the scag you will love it. You won't mess up stripes on long runs if you hit a dip like you would on a touchier lazer or toro. I am sold on scag and plan on buying more when the work comes. Try out the 27hp kohler and save yourself a few thousand bucks. It is a great engine and is not underpowered unless you plan on using it for a bushhog.

GravelyGuy
06-14-2009, 04:51 PM
I have used both the add on and the full Suspension seat. I really like the design of the new Exmark seat but prefer the full suspension seat by a large margin. It rides better and you sit a couple of inches lower (estimate). That's just my opinion. No more ZTR's with out the full suspension seat and one reason I won't consider a JD. I would trade the old seat in on a suspension seat or keep the old one and sell it on ebay. I really don't like the feeling of sitting up higher and the way the add on suspension feels (better than nothing) but that's purely opinion. We have some rough lots though.

I do like that the Michigan sits a little lower, but the Lazer seat has very nice useable armrests and the heavy padding makes it more comfortable for me.

One other nice thing about the Michigan is that it has a hard back (the part by the engine). My Lazer seat already has a small hole it it from a tree limb that got stuck on the ROP. The Lazer seat is soft on the back.

fergman
06-15-2009, 09:26 PM
What did the dealer do to fix it? Hopefully Kawasaki replaced the engine and didn't try to go in and fix it. I would insist on a new engine. I would appreciate it if you would go into detail about this repair because a friend of mine got the 37 Kawasaki and it is already using oil and smoking. If there is a trend, which I doubt, it would be helpful for us to know on Lawnsite because it affects a lot of people getting ready to buy ZTR/engines. No way would I let a dealer basically overhaul a new engine when it's that new. Please let us know the story. Thanks!

told you wrong. it was the camshaft.the dealer put a new camshaft and valves in and i mowed with it today. i agree they shoulda gave me a new engine.
the symptoms of that 37hp kawi is what mine was doing. sometimes i could mow for 30 yards turn around and there would be a cloud of smoke. other times wouldnt do anything. there was also a weird clicking sound and the speed changed with the throttle. when it lost 80% power i took it in cause i thought the governor wasnt working. governor was fine.

tacoma200
06-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Thanks fergman, I hope that takes care of it. Kawasaki,s have such a good reputation that a bad camshaft suprises me. But my Dad sold new cars for years and new ones fail somtimes.
Posted via Mobile Device

puppypaws
06-15-2009, 11:28 PM

The best ride on the new Exmark is with the Michigan suspension seat.

Comfort Upgrade Matrix

Operator Comfort
Level Lazer

GOOD 1 Standard Lazer Seat
(Includes 3D Iso System)

BETTER 2 Add CRSS to Standard Components

BEST 3 Mount Michigan Full-Suspension Seat
to existing 3D Iso System components