PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts Encore ZTR's?

ztrworldnewbie
06-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Anybody have experience with Encore ZTR's as far as quality, service, etc?

Richard Martin
06-13-2009, 02:16 PM
I looked at them several times many years ago. I didn't care for the way they were built, kinda cheap or something. Their ZTRs were really long too.

The mayor
06-13-2009, 08:00 PM
Here is my take on them. Very well built and durable. I have the prowler with the kaw27 hp motor. About 2000 hrs on it now and still rocking strong. It is shorter than our toro 62" ztr. Just about everything opposite of the previous post. As for service...only as good as the dealer. Did have a hydro pump go out and was replaced right away.

ztrworldnewbie
06-13-2009, 10:41 PM
Here is my take on them. Very well built and durable. I have the prowler with the kaw27 hp motor. About 2000 hrs on it now and still rocking strong. It is shorter than our toro 62" ztr. Just about everything opposite of the previous post. As for service...only as good as the dealer. Did have a hydro pump go out and was replaced right away.

Thanks. I've been reading and hearing good things about them but I just haven't seen any in my area. I guess that could be because the nearest dealer is a county away. Mostly see exmark, scag, and hustler for the commercial guys.

KCfireman
06-13-2009, 10:46 PM
I've owned their walk-behinds and they are one helluva machine.

The mayor
06-13-2009, 10:48 PM
The only thing I don't like is the lack of grass discharge/dispersal. I have 2 dixie choppers that can toss grass quite far...even in the wet heavy grass. The encore will leave grass clumps in the wet thick grass.

ztrworldnewbie
06-13-2009, 10:57 PM
I've owned their walk-behinds and they are one helluva machine.

They look like they are when I run down the specs. I was looking for a Kawa motor and it has one; was looking for quality welded deck and it has that, wide back tires, quality front forks, etc.

My dilemma is this:

Brand new 42" Encore Fuzion ZTR with 18 hp Kawa motor, full warrantees, and mulch kit for $3,800 all inclusive and delivered to my doorstep.

OR

2006 Walker MBSD zero turn 42" mulching deck with 18 hp Briggs Vanguard motor and only 30 hours for $3,000 out the door (or maybe $2,900 if he's willing to dicker a little). This mower sells new in my local mower shop for $6,500 when I saw the same one last week. I've seen pictures of it and talked with the owner. In excellent condition and he just moved to a small lot and doesn't need it.

The Walker is kind of different from the Encore being that the Walker has the deck out front and has a drive shaft instead of belt drive for the blades. Being that haven't owned either type of mower, I was hoping for some advice from the experts here!!! :) And of course, money is always an issue so cheaper mower is looking better but I don't want to buy something I'll hate after I get a chance to use it.

Thanks!!

Mowingman
06-13-2009, 11:26 PM
The used Walker is ten times the mower that the New Encore is. The build quality and design of the Walker is far superior in every way to an Encore, that goes for the cut quality also.

ztrworldnewbie
06-13-2009, 11:44 PM
The used Walker is ten times the mower that the New Encore is. The build quality and design of the Walker is far superior in every way to an Encore, that goes for the cut quality also.

Thanks for your input. You wouldn't be concerned about the turning radius because the deck is out front and you've got that single wheel way in the back? I keep thinking that maybe when I try to turn in a tight area that wheel in the back will swing out and run over close bushes, etc.

Mowingman
06-14-2009, 12:34 AM
I ran a Walker for many years. They are highly maneuverable, and will turn within their own length. If you measure it, you will find it is not much longer than many midmount ZTR's.
The front deck is very handy for mowing under low trees and shrubs.It will also cut into the corners better than a midmount ZTR. I used my Walkers on all my small residential lawns and small commercial properties. Anything over 1 acre, I used the bigger ZTR's.

ztrworldnewbie
06-14-2009, 01:05 AM
I ran a Walker for many years. They are highly maneuverable, and will turn within their own length. If you measure it, you will find it is not much longer than many midmount ZTR's.
The front deck is very handy for mowing under low trees and shrubs.It will also cut into the corners better than a midmount ZTR. I used my Walkers on all my small residential lawns and small commercial properties. Anything over 1 acre, I used the bigger ZTR's.

My lot is only 3/4 acre so I'm good there. What about issues with driveshaft driven blades and timed gearbox? I've heard if you break a shear pin that you mash up and destroy blades and maybe more because the blades actually overlap with the gear timing? I'm thinking less maintenance since no belts to worry about changing and I love that the deck folds up to be able to get to the blades for changing. My three blade 48" rider is a b!tch getting that middle blade since I have no ramps or trailer gate, etc to ride up on.

metiernan
06-14-2009, 01:33 AM
I bought a new prolwer 27 hp kawi with a 61 inch deck I think, in 2003 and loved the machine but it always left a trail of grass coming out of the shute. I had to double mow every single thing I mowed with it. I had a heck of a time selling it and bought an exmark and have owned exmarks ever since.

Mowingman
06-14-2009, 07:07 PM
The timed blades are part of what give the Walker such a nice cut. You have to really whack some object hard, or get the deck into a very deep ditch (and in a bind) for the shear pin to break. When it does, it just lets the deck gearboxes spin free. It does not knock the timing out on the blades.
If you hit something like a ground rod, there are shear bolts on each blade that can break, that allows the blades to spin freely, and they can crash together. This will not hurt the gear boxes, but might ding up your blades to the point where you can not sharpen them good again.
In 8 years of use, I had shear pins fail maybe twice/year. I only had one time I broke the blades free and they did get dinged up pretty bad. However, this was using two Walkers daily for 8 years.

ztrworldnewbie
06-14-2009, 08:03 PM
The timed blades are part of what give the Walker such a nice cut. You have to really whack some object hard, or get the deck into a very deep ditch (and in a bind) for the shear pin to break. When it does, it just lets the deck gearboxes spin free. It does not knock the timing out on the blades.
If you hit something like a ground rod, there are shear bolts on each blade that can break, that allows the blades to spin freely, and they can crash together. This will not hurt the gear boxes, but might ding up your blades to the point where you can not sharpen them good again.
In 8 years of use, I had shear pins fail maybe twice/year. I only had one time I broke the blades free and they did get dinged up pretty bad. However, this was using two Walkers daily for 8 years.

Ok thanks. I really appreciate hearing about someone's first hand experience on this mower as I have none and even though it's used, it's still an expensive investment for me. Glad to hear that what I was told about destroying gears, etc was not true. It makes more sense for me (economically and practically) to get the Walker because a local mower shop sells and services the Walkers whereas the nearest Encore seller/servicer is a 35 min. drive, one way. It really does look good quality and well put together.