PDA

View Full Version : My new BadBoy!

brucec
06-13-2009, 02:56 PM
Started another thread about this but it was hijacked. Here are the pics I promised. Worked my ass off to walk in and pay cash for this, and it felt really good!!!

brucec
06-13-2009, 03:20 PM
A few more. This mower is much more to me than just a mower. In the recession of the early 80's my dad lost his job and at 11 I started mowing lawns to help support the family and eventually my Dad and I built it into a business that supported us for many years. We were the ones that some people on here like to make fun of because we didn't have the best equipment and I'm sure we were called lowballers, we did the best we could with what we had. That business kept us off of welfare and kept us feed, I learned many of lifes lessons behind a mower. I remember my dad always kept a brochure of a bobcat ztr in his briefcase. It was tattered and ratty but he would show it to any one who would listen and tell them someday... Well he died and never got it. I moved on and a few years ago the bug of lawncare bit again, but I told my self I wanted to do it right. I have worked my ass off and payed cash for everything. I think of him every time I climb on, its not a bobcat but somehow I think he would approve! I plan on climbing on this fathers day and mow until I can't take it any more as a tribute to my Dad. Those of you who still have your fathers with you don't take them for granted. Happy Fathers Day! And here's a big middle finger to those who look down upon those who have less than they do, we all got to start some where!

brucec
06-13-2009, 03:24 PM
oh yeah my that's my property in the background...my dad has to be somewhere, proud as hell I hope!!!

nosparkplugs
06-13-2009, 03:51 PM
That's real life glad to hear you have done well. Their are no mistakes in life only lessons. You story almost brought tears.Good for you
Posted via Mobile Device

brucec
06-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Didn't take you long to find this post nosparkplugs, jk. I did have tears.

W.L.M.
06-13-2009, 03:58 PM
Well done bruce! Thats a sweet new mower. I like the split rail dual exhaust, never seen that on a mower before.

brucec
06-13-2009, 04:04 PM
Thanks, I like the exhaust as well! Put some good hours on this today and it is fast as hell and mows great.

1st class grass
06-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Looks real nice!!!! I sent you a message did you get it?

freshprince94
06-13-2009, 04:13 PM
Great mower. I can't even imagine how it felt to walk in and buy that mower.

brucec
06-13-2009, 04:16 PM
No I didn't get your message first class. Not sure what happened

1st class grass
06-13-2009, 04:18 PM
Il resend it.

DaddyRabbit
06-13-2009, 05:02 PM
Congratulations to you on a very fine mower and work ethic. Job well done!! :drinkup:

ferris09
06-13-2009, 05:35 PM
OUTSTANDING JOB !!!

I am sure your dad would be very proud indeed.

MJB
06-13-2009, 05:43 PM
Good for you ! How about some pictures of the stripe and cut quality. You have some nice turf to practice on. Good choice.

JB217
06-13-2009, 05:49 PM
Nice mower....Congrats on paying cash cause i know it wasnt cheap. and without a doubt your dads proud. Again nice job.

ed2hess
06-13-2009, 06:10 PM
I can't tell if this deck is mounted with a solid linkage or does it have chains that can't be seen?

Apples
06-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Very nice mower,and story! I will be taking a BB diesel for a demo next week. And that is some very good advice about fathers! I'm lucky, my Dad is 87 and still mows and sprays.

tacoma200
06-13-2009, 09:08 PM
Nice story and work ethic. I think this is the first time I have had a look at this model and the big vertical Briggs. Nice pics also.

I have some questions if you get the time. It looks like it would be very easy to work on and get to most parts. Does the rear shroud? come off easily if you need to get to the rear of the engine? It looks like the pumps are sticking up behind the fuel tanks, what brand are they and is that a fan on top of each. Your pictures are actually better than the Bad Boy site. I can see a lot more detail. What do you think of the 32 Briggs?

This part of the state has almost no grass that nice, of course just a few miles North in the Blue Grass region it is very nice and fertile.

flyboy
06-13-2009, 10:07 PM
Awesome story. The mower looks great. Let us know how that 32 Briggs works out for you.

FastMan
06-13-2009, 10:44 PM
Bruce, well done. I'm with sparky, in that I found your story truly moving. Never pay mind to the slights of the ignorant. You know in your heart if your giving your best, and that's where true personal pride and satisfaction is best founded. I'm sure your dad is looking down on you today with pride for you overflowing. In the end he got his Bob-Cat,,, and much more. Your tribute to him is made everyday, in your living by the ideals he taught you. The man he was lives on in the man you've become.

tacoma200
06-13-2009, 10:59 PM
How about a picture looking down at the engine from above, I want to see the engine, pumps, etc a little better.

lifetree
06-13-2009, 11:01 PM
Started another thread about this but it was hijacked. Here are the pics I promised. Worked my ass off to walk in and pay cash for this, and it felt really good !!!

What did it set you back ??

... I moved on and a few years ago the bug of lawncare bit again ...

What were you doing before you came back to lawn care ??

BTW, nice work and congratulations ... very moving story !!

puppypaws
06-13-2009, 11:47 PM
oh yeah my that's my property in the background...my dad has to be somewhere, proud as hell I hope!!!

The beautiful grass you have want give that 32 Vanguard a chance to show you what it can do. That engine is virtually unstoppable, you would need to let the grass I am seeing get 3' tall before the engine would realize it was doing anything. Come back and tell us if you can mow at full stick, and how the ride and cut is. That new paint sure is pretty, they do a very good job with their component layout, swing the tanks open and show everyone how well the hinges are made and the component layout. Bad Boy has everything designed very simple, but strong.

MS_SURVEYOR
06-14-2009, 12:01 AM
Cool brucec! Nice Rig! Your dad just got a Bad Boy Catalog! He'll be riding with Ya come fathers day!

ms

brucec
06-14-2009, 03:41 AM
Thanks to everyone for the kind words, it means a lot.I will open it up and take some pics. Easy access to everything is another reason I bought it. I had a toro ztr last weekend and I would have a hard time working on it myself because of how hard things were to get to. I love the 32 and I have mowed wide open and it is scary fast. I didn't think it was possible to mow that fast. I was mowing a property today and when I looked up a friend of mine I used to work with years ago had just pulled in because he saw me mowing and wanted to check out the mower. He has his own pulling tractor and competes all over this area of the country with it, so he knows a thing or 2 about equipment. He has had several very nice grasshoppers. He checked out the bb and was very inpressed with it. He especially couldn't believe how well built the deck is. He asked me how much over $10,000 it was, and was shocked when I told him it was quite a bit less than that. The bb gave me several feel good moments today.

brucec
06-14-2009, 03:42 AM
What did it set you back ??

What were you doing before you came back to lawn care ??

BTW, nice work and congratulations ... very moving story !!

I have a great factory job that I have been at for over 20 years and I'm only 38.

brucec
06-14-2009, 03:48 AM
Nice story and work ethic. I think this is the first time I have had a look at this model and the big vertical Briggs. Nice pics also.

I have some questions if you get the time. It looks like it would be very easy to work on and get to most parts. Does the rear shroud? come off easily if you need to get to the rear of the engine? It looks like the pumps are sticking up behind the fuel tanks, what brand are they and is that a fan on top of each. Your pictures are actually better than the Bad Boy site. I can see a lot more detail. What do you think of the 32 Briggs?

This part of the state has almost no grass that nice, of course just a few miles North in the Blue Grass region it is very nice and fertile.

The shroud around the engine is held on with 4 bolts that are very easy to get to. I will open it up completely today and get some more pics. The 32 is incredible and probably a little big, not that I'm complaining.

greenred
06-14-2009, 04:32 AM
That is a awesome looking mower and very touching story. I love the bar tread tires they make the mower look so aggressive.

I wish we had a Bad Boy dealer around here so I could check them out, but all we have is Tractor Supply selling the residential ones. I dont know if you have any slopes but how does it feel on slopes if you tried it? I have used a Toro for years and it didnt hold slopes that well and the seat isnt mounted that high. I climbed up on a Bad Boy at Tractor Supply to see how it was from the operators position and it felt like I was sitting much higher then my Toro.

eatonpcat
06-15-2009, 07:41 AM
Congrats on the mower, looks great and already paid for!!

puppypaws
06-15-2009, 09:55 AM
I dont know if you have any slopes but how does it feel on slopes if you tried it? I have used a Toro for years and it didnt hold slopes that well and the seat isnt mounted that high. I climbed up on a Bad Boy at Tractor Supply to see how it was from the operators position and it felt like I was sitting much higher then my Toro.

Bad Boy mowers do very well on slopes, not as well as the Scag with the fuel tank underneath, or my lower profile Super Z, but not much difference.

The imagine your mind portrays when looking at the Bad Boy is a little deceiving. The bluntness of the front end exaggerates the height of the operator more than it actually is.

Here is a couple of good threads where I compared the Hustler Super Z and the Bad Boy Lightning. You will see the measurements that I did by hand very closely, and I believe it shows the BB seat being 5.5" higher than the Hustler.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=192778&highlight=hustler+bad+boy

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=192447&highlight=hustler+bad+boy

nosparkplugs
06-15-2009, 10:28 AM
PP for knowing so much about ZTR's why whould you compare a Hustler Super Z to a Bad Boy Lightning??, this is apples to oranges. Even with this comparion this Bad Boy lightning will hang with your Super Z, ALL DAY for less money.

You need to compare your Super Z to the Bad Boy AOS models; which you avoid.

The Hustler Mini Z VS the Bad Boy Lightning is apples to apples.

I would bet my title, that a Bad Boy AOS gas or diesel can & will eat your Super Z all day on hills.

Since you decided to Hijack the thread again here is some AMMO in defense of the Bad Boys inability to climb hills or having a narrow stance.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/nosparkplugs71/BBAOS2-1.jpg

Bruce, sorry I really get tired of this BS
Bad Boy mowers do very well on slopes, not as well as the Scag with the fuel tank underneath, or my lower profile Super Z, but not much difference.

The imagine your mind portrays when looking at the Bad Boy is a little deceiving. The bluntness of the front end exaggerates the height of the operator more than it actually is.

Here is a couple of good threads where I compared the Hustler Super Z and the Bad Boy Lightning. You will see the measurements that I did by hand very closely, and I believe it shows the BB seat being 5.5" higher than the Hustler.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=192778&highlight=hustler+bad+boy

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=192447&highlight=hustler+bad+boy

brucec
06-15-2009, 10:55 AM
I know what you mean nosparkplugs. I just had the bb out playing with it and I have a crazy steep hill by my house and the BB went up it like a billy goat. I was at the local bobcat/hustler dealer this am to pic up some stihl oil and I looked at the Hustlers again and I'm REALLY glad I got the BB, and I have a couple grand extra in the bank! I was kinda' thinking about my dad and the way we started out looked down upon by the big guy and it dawned on me maybe that's why I run BB and Better Outdoor Prods equipment I guess I know what it's like to be the underdog and I like other underdogs to rise up and thump the big boys between the eyes now and then... What many people don't understand all of the competition between the manufactures is good for all of us regardless of what you run. Manufactues have to stay on their toes and bring their best to the table or we will go else where. The more competition in any business is good for the consumer. Companies like Better and BB keep the larger companies honest and give people like me a excellent product for their money. And when you really look at it all the manufactures put out some kick ass products! Just my .02.

brucec
06-15-2009, 11:00 AM
What tire pressure are you running in the rear tires NSP? My dealer already had those tires installed and threw in a set of the turf tires for free. I'm not sure if I will keep the lug tires on or not. I have been playing with the pressure the past couple of days, and I'm down to 12 psi from 15 psi when I picked it up.

JShe8918
06-15-2009, 11:03 AM
Man i understand what you are saying completely. I am proud there are people who appreciate all that they have. And the Statement you made about not taking your father for granted is ONE HUNDRED percent true.. I lost my dad in 2005 and i look back everyday and say darn i wish i had done this, and this, oh and that all differently when i had him. The mower looks excellent one of the first things i noticed was the dual exhaust you made an excellent choice in your purchase. I think Bad boy has more than proved themselves. I have looked into them a ton and almost wish that i had purchased one over my scag. If bad boy had more dealers i think it would be one heck of a brand. Almost makes me want to start a dealership for them. BUT i don't have the knowledge nor skill to work on any thing mechanical. Keep up and strong work ethic and God bless.

Jonathan

nosparkplugs
06-15-2009, 11:12 AM
:laugh: these lug tires are 8 ply vs 2 or 3 ply, so I have never had to check the pressure. I am guessing their 15-20PSI. I was going to ask you if you planned on keeping the Chevron's on yours. I am going to invest in a second set of rims & tire's for those delicate area's. But like I have said I use the diesel for wide area's or bushhogging. No real need for this mower in small area's, so the Chevron tires work great for me about 95% of the time so their is 5% where I could use a less aggresive tire, but not a true turf tire.

I have posted this pic before this drainage bowl was very steep, and the AOS diesel was like a billy goat

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/nosparkplugs71/Bowl1JPG.jpg

What tire pressure are you running in the rear tires NSP? My dealer already had those tires installed and threw in a set of the turf tires for free. I'm not sure if I will keep the lug tires on or not. I have been playing with the pressure the past couple of days, and I'm down to 12 psi from 15 psi when I picked it up.

nosparkplugs
06-15-2009, 11:27 AM
I was a loyal Scag Man for years, and the local Scag dealer seemed to think money grew on tree's for us LCO's. This Scag Dealer was High on their Walkers, and The Scag TT with the 28hp Cat diesel was $17,895 vs the AOS diesel with the 4 cylinder 35hp Cat diesel for $13,335. Cha-Ching!!! for Bad Boy. I don't think Bad Boy was ever a "underdog" to the contrary. The key to Bad Boy's sucess is they need to stay true, and NEVER forget where they have came from. What comes around, can go around

I lost my Father to cancer years ago, so I know what it's like to loose a Father, and when I was younger, I always wondered is he watching down on me??, Their was a time where I was angry at GOD for taking him so early:hammerhead:. As i have aged I realized, God tends to take those off this earth whom have earned their place next to him, those whom have passed on are in a better position to now watch over us now:waving: BruceC It is no accident you got this Bad Boy, your Father made sure you would do well.

While My Father does not directly change my daily life, their are to many case's of where things should have went bad, their is life after death, their is more to the human race than flesh & blood

Man i understand what you are saying completely. I am proud there are people who appreciate all that they have. And the Statement you made about not taking your father for granted is ONE HUNDRED percent true.. I lost my dad in 2005 and i look back everyday and say darn i wish i had done this, and this, oh and that all differently when i had him. The mower looks excellent one of the first things i noticed was the dual exhaust you made an excellent choice in your purchase. I think Bad boy has more than proved themselves. I have looked into them a ton and almost wish that i had purchased one over my scag. If bad boy had more dealers i think it would be one heck of a brand. Almost makes me want to start a dealership for them. BUT i don't have the knowledge nor skill to work on any thing mechanical. Keep up and strong work ethic and God bless.

Jonathan

brucec
06-15-2009, 11:45 AM
I was a loyal Scag Man for years, and the local Scag dealer seemed to think money grew on tree's for us LCO's. This Scag Dealer was High on their Walkers, and The Scag TT with the 28hp Cat diesel was $17,895 vs the AOS diesel with the 4 cylinder 35hp Cat diesel for $13,335. Cha-Ching!!! for Bad Boy. I don't think Bad Boy was ever a "underdog" to the contrary. The key to Bad Boy's sucess is they need to stay true, and NEVER forget where they have came from. What comes around, can go around

I lost my Father to cancer years ago, so I know what it's like to loose a Father, and when I was younger, I always wondered is he watching down on me??, Their was a time where I was angry at GOD for taking him so early:hammerhead:. As i have aged I realized, God tends to take those off this earth whom have earned their place next to him, those whom have passed on are in a better position to now watch over us now:waving: BruceC It is no accident you got this Bad Boy, your Father made sure you would do well.

While My Father does not directly change my daily life, their are to many case's of where things should have went bad, their is life after death, their is more to the human race than flesh & blood

I know what you mean about how I got the BB and how I paid for it. I just "fell" into several situations that made me a nice chunk of change that I had not planned on or seen coming. It was like someone was helping me, I can't explain it. I still worked my ass of but something seemed meant to be about how this machine ended up on my trailer completely paid for. I looked in the rear view mirror several times on the way home smiled and had goose bumps. After I got it home I kept slipping to the garage just to stare at it not believing it was real. The wife is a little jealous I've been rubbing on the BB more than her, umm but not in a gay way. With that being said do you think those who have passed on before us can SEE EVERYTHING, boy I hope not, if so some of us have some explanin' to do! Nice to see you have a soft side NSP!

retrodog
06-15-2009, 12:51 PM
Congrats man, seeing that engine sitting on that small frame mower with the dual exhaust just pushed me over the edge to try one on our next order...maybe (this will be my first big-block vanguard I have ever had if we do order). I am very curious on the fuel consumption, because I have heard quite a few that contradict each other. My 31hp kawa eats it for lunch, I honestly checked under the tanks to make sure I didn't have leaks..... For part time commercial, and big yard homeowners, consumption matters very little, but when a mower gets used 12 hours a day 6 days a week, fuel ends up becoming a huge factor in the equipment purchased. I bet your dad has already been on that mower checking it out while it was in the garage.....

brucec
06-15-2009, 01:02 PM
It's not much to go on but it wasn't quite full when I picked it up and I have put over 5 hours on it and it still has over half a tank. I can't wait to see how it does on fuel as well. How bad was your kawasaki?

barlowlawncare
06-15-2009, 01:25 PM
beautiful mower! I hear what your saying also, we just bought our first new mower last year but everything else we own is pre owned! we up grade our ten year old stuff with someone elses 5year old stuff and that is the way my brother has been doing it since he started this business about 10yrs ago. It doesent matter to me wether the equiptment is old new or what ever, I try and do all the maint i can to keep it running until we can afford to replace it. Too me as long as the customers we have like what we do, who cares about the equiptment we use? From what I can tell it's only the other landscapers who care or look down upon! Ya know what though I still give a smile and a wave hello as we pass, cause at the end of the day we are all reaching for the same goal, and that's to make a decent life for our families, and hopefully make some customers happy along the way. I take pride in the job that I do, not the equiptment I use. I was wondering though how do you like the rear tires on that thing? they look like they would be much better than what comes on the exmark, and would prob turf a lot less, pls let me know what you think of them thks

puppypaws
06-15-2009, 01:34 PM
PP for knowing so much about ZTR's why whould you compare a Hustler Super Z to a Bad Boy Lightning??, this is apples to oranges. Even with this comparion this Bad Boy lightning will hang with your Super Z, ALL DAY for less money.

You need to compare your Super Z to the Bad Boy AOS models; which you avoid.

The Hustler Mini Z VS the Bad Boy Lightning is apples to apples.

I would bet my title, that a Bad Boy AOS gas or diesel can & will eat your Super Z all day on hills.

Since you decided to Hijack the thread again here is some AMMO in defense of the Bad Boys inability to climb hills or having a narrow stance.

Bruce, sorry I really get tired of this BS

You need to attempt to comprehend what you read before you start typing. As you can see from below "greenred" asked a question and no one answered him. I answered his question from experience I've had with the Bad Boy Lightning and a Hustler Super Z on the same 23° slope, this is a comparison you have never experienced, so there is no need to comment.
This is not me "Hijacking" a thread, only answering a question someone asked than no one answered, being what I would call courteous.

The Hustler Super Z is comparable to the Bad Boy Lightning not the Hustler Mini Z, if you knew as much as you think about mowers this would not need explaining to you. I have run the Lighning as well as the diesel powered AOS side by side with the Hustler Super Z. This is something you have never experienced so you have no knowledge of the differences. The Super Z will hold a steep slope when mowing horizontally better than any Bad Boy made. The Bad Boy will mow up a steep slope better than a Super Z because it has better power and does not need to pull the 21 cc pumps.

I dont know if you have any slopes but how does it feel on slopes if you tried it? I have used a Toro for years and it didnt hold slopes that well and the seat isnt mounted that high. I climbed up on a Bad Boy at Tractor Supply to see how it was from the operators position and it felt like I was sitting much higher then my Toro.

What I told him is correct, he is not talking about going straight up a hill, but how it holds while mowing a steep vertical slope when mowing horizontally. The Bad Boy AOS or Lightning will not hold a steep vertical slope running it horizontal as well as a Scag or Super Z. I put the Lightning on the same 23° slope as my Super Z which did not move, yet the Lightning was slipping and sliding. I have compared them side by side, you have not, which means you have no gathered facts (as I do), to back up what you are saying.

I have also put my Super Z side by side with the diesel powered AOS cutting the same grass and they were dead even in speed. Where I will pick up the difference in cutting time is the Super Z is much more nibble in turn around and maneuverability, the hydraulics do not operate as well on a Bad Boy as on a Hustler Super Z this is a proven fact, not hear say. I would be willing to bet no matter what mower a person prefers or uses, if they operated a Super Z they will always prefer the integrated brake system and hydraulics operation as well as handling. You have heard "tacoma" mention this several times, that there is no better handling mower than a Hustler Super Z.

My dealer had a new diesel powered Bad Boy AOS at his farm mowing his personal grass. He sells and likes the Bad Boy line of mowers, so what he is saying is true, he is not biased to any colored mower. He told me he took a new Bobcat Predator Pro to his house because a boy wanted to buy his Bad Boy. He said, "I can mow my grass faster with the Predator Pro than I could with the AOS." I said Chad that makes absolutely no sense, the AOS is a 15 mph machine and the Predator Pro with the 37 Kawasaki is a 12.4 mph mower.
He said I have several things to mow around and the Predator Pro maneuvers a lot faster than the AOS did. He said, the AOS rode far superior to the Predator Pro and he felt assured in large open areas the AOS would cut more grass per hr., because of it riding better and the faster speed. The Predator Pro made up the difference in being able to cut around obstacles much faster.

There is differences in anything and everything, just attempt to keep you mouth from out running your brain. You know if you come at me you best have your facts line up to perfection, like making that crazy statement of comparing a Hustler Mini Z with a Bad Boy Lightning, that only proves you have no idea of what you are attempting to get across with your subject matter.

I will let you look at this, an educate yourself on the different features of the mowers you say are comparable. I don't think it will take you long to figure out you were totally wrong in your assumption. Now, we will see if you are man enough to admit it. :rolleyes:

Mini Z 52 Features
• SmoothTrak™ twin-lever steering with patented automatic park brake system
• Simplest maintenance in the industry - no daily lube points!
• Kawasaki, Honda, or Kohler engines from 19 to 24 hp• 52” side-discharge/mulching deck
• 28” seat height – lowest in the industry
• Best warranty in the business
• Wide stance and low center of gravity for unmatched stability on slopes
• 12.2 gallon fuel capacity
• Optional 9-bushel BAC-VAC™ catcher
• Rear mounted 2-bag catcher available

MODEL ENGINE DECK FUEL TANK SPEED

5200 Lightning Z 26hp Kawasaki LC 52" 14.5 Gallons 14 mph
6000 Lightning Z 26hp Kawasaki LC 60" 14.5 Gallons 14 mph
5200 Lightning Z 31hp Kawasaki 52" 14.5 Gallons 14 mph
6000 Lightning Z 31hp Kawasaki 60" 14.5 Gallons 14 mph
7200 Lightning Z 31hp Kawasak 72" 14.5 Gallons 14 mph
6000 Lightning Z 32hp Vanguard 60" 14.5 Gallons 14 mph
7200 Lightning Z 32hp Vanguard 72" 14.5 Gallons 14 mph

nosparkplugs
06-15-2009, 02:04 PM
Ok, Let me try it this way the BB Lightning is not a large frame ZTR the Super Z is a large frame ZTR, as is the Bad Boy AOS diesel or gasburner. So theirfore comparing the Super Z to the Lightning is not even apples to apples? or large frame ZTR to large frame ZTR.

The Hustler Super Z is Hustlers top dog ZTR, yes or no?.

The Bad Boy Lightning is not Bad Boys top Dog ZTR, yet your comparing it to Hustler's big Super Z. What is Hustlers next smaller frame ZTR the Mini-Z???

I have my facts straight:) Just compare the right ZTR's to each other

Comprehend this??? It's hard to stomach that Bad Boy has changed the rules, The BB Lightning gives you the power of a Large frame ZTR, in a smaller tough frame, for less money, no other manufacture does this the Lightning eats a Hustler Mini-Z on all specs, so you must take the Super Z to use.

You need to attempt to comprehend what you read before you start typing. As you can see from below "greenred" asked a question and no one answered him. I answered his question from experience I've had with the Bad Boy Lightning and a Hustler Super Z on the same 23° slope, this is a comparison you have never experienced, so there is no need to comment.
This is not me "Hijacking" a thread, only answering a question someone asked than no one answered, being what I would call courteous.

The Hustler Super Z is comparable to the Bad Boy Lightning not the Hustler Mini Z, if you knew as much as you think about mowers this would not need explaining to you. I have run the Lighning as well as the diesel powered AOS side by side with the Hustler Super Z. This is something you have never experienced so you have no knowledge of the differences. The Super Z will hold a steep slope when mowing horizontally better than any Bad Boy made. The Bad Boy will mow up a steep slope better than a Super Z because it has better power and does not need to pull the 21 cc pumps.

What I told him is correct, he is not talking about going straight up a hill, but how it holds while mowing a steep vertical slope when mowing horizontally. The Bad Boy AOS or Lightning will not hold a steep vertical slope running it horizontal as well as a Scag or Super Z. I put the Lightning on the same 23° slope as my Super Z which did not move, yet the Lightning was slipping and sliding. I have compared them side by side, you have not, which means you have no gathered facts (as I do), to back up what you are saying.

I have also put my Super Z side by side with the diesel powered AOS cutting the same grass and they were dead even in speed. Where I will pick up the difference in cutting time is the Super Z is much more nibble in turn around and maneuverability, the hydraulics do not operate as well on a Bad Boy as on a Hustler Super Z this is a proven fact, not hear say. I would be willing to bet no matter what mower a person prefers or uses, if they operated a Super Z they will always prefer the integrated brake system and hydraulics operation as well as handling. You have heard "tacoma" mention this several times, that there is no better handling mower than a Hustler Super Z.

My dealer had a new diesel powered Bad Boy AOS at his farm mowing his personal grass. He sells and likes the Bad Boy line of mowers, so what he is saying is true, he is not biased to any colored mower. He told me he took a new Bobcat Predator Pro to his house because a boy wanted to buy his Bad Boy. He said, "I can mow my grass faster with the Predator Pro than I could with the AOS." I said Chad that makes absolutely no sense, the AOS is a 15 mph machine and the Predator Pro with the 37 Kawasaki is a 12.4 mph mower.
He said I have several things to mow around and the Predator Pro maneuvers a lot faster than the AOS did. He said, the AOS rode far superior to the Predator Pro and he felt assured in large open areas the AOS would cut more grass per hr., because of it riding better and the faster speed. The Predator Pro made up the difference in being able to cut around obstacles much faster.

There is differences in anything and everything, just attempt to keep you mouth from out running your brain. You know if you come at me you best have your facts line up to perfection, like making that crazy statement of comparing a Hustler Mini Z with a Bad Boy Lightning, that only proves you have no idea of what you are attempting to get across with your subject matter.

I will let you look at this, an educate yourself on the different features of the mowers you say are comparable. I don't think it will take you long to figure out you were totally wrong in your assumption. Now, we will see if you are man enough to admit it. :rolleyes:

Mini Z 52 Features
• SmoothTrak™ twin-lever steering with patented automatic park brake system
• Simplest maintenance in the industry - no daily lube points!
• Kawasaki, Honda, or Kohler engines from 19 to 24 hp• 52” side-discharge/mulching deck
• 28” seat height – lowest in the industry
• Best warranty in the business
• Wide stance and low center of gravity for unmatched stability on slopes
• 12.2 gallon fuel capacity
• Optional 9-bushel BAC-VAC™ catcher
• Rear mounted 2-bag catcher available

MODEL ENGINE DECK FUEL TANK SPEED

5200 Lightning Z 26hp Kawasaki LC 52" 14.5 Gallons 14 mph
6000 Lightning Z 26hp Kawasaki LC 60" 14.5 Gallons 14 mph
5200 Lightning Z 31hp Kawasaki 52" 14.5 Gallons 14 mph
6000 Lightning Z 31hp Kawasaki 60" 14.5 Gallons 14 mph
7200 Lightning Z 31hp Kawasak 72" 14.5 Gallons 14 mph
6000 Lightning Z 32hp Vanguard 60" 14.5 Gallons 14 mph
7200 Lightning Z 32hp Vanguard 72" 14.5 Gallons 14 mph

dwost
06-15-2009, 02:25 PM
FWIW.......I'd compare the Lightning to the Hustler Z.........not the mini. http://www.hustlerturf.com/Web-content/ProductPages/HZXR7/HZXR7Configs/HZXR7Configs.html

I've not run the Hustler or Scag on major hills but I'd still give them the edge solely based on the lower center of gravity. The BB sits higher plain and simple. As a matter of fact, this was my only "advice" that I provided to the customer service rep when they called for my feedback on the mower. I expressed concern that it sits higher than other comparable models. It may "hold" just as well on a hill but I think overall for consistent cutting on large hills the other two would probably surpass it in overall performance.

nosparkplugs
06-15-2009, 04:00 PM
That is true also, but do not compare the Lightning to a Super Z??

I agree 100% the Bad Boy seats are higher, A lower center of gravity is always good or better in defense of those model ZTR with a low center of gravity. I give the Bad Boy I have a 110% on the hill climbing ability, just the sheer size & width of the diesel makes it a billy goat. The Chevron tires will turn just about any ZTR into a billy goat. I would recommend adding a set of Chevrons to any ZTR.

I can cut all day long on steep hills,slopes, ditches's you name it wet or dry with the Bad Boy. the only limit is the 72" deck's width:cry: Many times I have scared myself going up hills.

FWIW.......I'd compare the Lightning to the Hustler Z.........not the mini. http://www.hustlerturf.com/Web-content/ProductPages/HZXR7/HZXR7Configs/HZXR7Configs.html

I've not run the Hustler or Scag on major hills but I'd still give them the edge solely based on the lower center of gravity. The BB sits higher plain and simple. As a matter of fact, this was my only "advice" that I provided to the customer service rep when they called for my feedback on the mower. I expressed concern that it sits higher than other comparable models. It may "hold" just as well on a hill but I think overall for consistent cutting on large hills the other two would probably surpass it in overall performance.

puppypaws
06-15-2009, 04:26 PM
Ok, Let me try it this way the BB Lightning is not a large frame ZTR the Super Z is a large frame ZTR, as is the Bad Boy AOS diesel or gasburner. So theirfore comparing the Super Z to the Lightning is not even apples to apples? or large frame ZTR to large frame ZTR.

The Hustler Super Z is Hustlers top dog ZTR, yes or no?.

The Bad Boy Lightning is not Bad Boys top Dog ZTR, yet your comparing it to Hustler's big Super Z. What is Hustlers next smaller frame ZTR the Mini-Z???

I have my facts straight:) Just compare the right ZTR's to each other

Comprehend this??? It's hard to stomach that Bad Boy has changed the rules, The BB Lightning gives you the power of a Large frame ZTR, in a smaller tough frame, for less money, no other manufacture does this the Lightning eats a Hustler Mini-Z on all specs, so you must take the Super Z to use.

You don't need to sell me on Bad Boy mowers, I have personally sold several myself, call Robert Patterson with BB and ask him.

This is Hustlers top dog!

http://www.hustlerturf.com/Web-content/ProductPages/4600/4600Rangewing/Images/RangeWing.jpg

Engine Specifications
Model Kubota
Horsepower 38
No. of Cylinders 4
Diaplacement 91.44 cu in
Max. Torque 68 ft lbs @ 2100 rpm

I don't know where you are coming up with your information. You cannot get a closer comparison than the Hustler Super Z and the Bad Boy Lightning.

This is as close as you can get comparing any two mowers!

The Hustler Super Z goes to a 31 hp engine and a 72" deck.

The Bad Boy Lightning goes to a 32 hp engine and a 72" deck.

nosparkplugs
06-15-2009, 04:35 PM
I have looked at that Hustler WAM:clapping: If I could only get more accounts:laugh: It still looks like a mower from the 1970's:waving: needs more curves & fiberglass like the JD WAM:rolleyes:

PP, the Lightning is not a large frame ZTR, I understand your rational for using the Super Z, but the Super Z is a Larger framed ZTR that is more equal to the BB AOS line-up.

How do you classify your ZTR's?? most are classed into: large frame, medium frame, small frame, with these new 36" midmounts fitting into the small frame segment, as well as the homeowner classification within the small framed ZTR's. Then you have Gas,diesel, gas EFI (open or closed), air cooled or liquid cooled gas, propane & now electric:dancing:

You don't need to sell me on Bad Boy mowers, I have personally sold several myself, call Robert Patterson with BB and ask him.

This is Hustlers top dog!

http://www.hustlerturf.com/Web-content/ProductPages/4600/4600Rangewing/Images/RangeWing.jpg

Engine Specifications
Model Kubota
Horsepower 38
No. of Cylinders 4
Diaplacement 91.44 cu in
Max. Torque 68 ft lbs @ 2100 rpm

I don't know where you are coming up with your information. You cannot get a closer comparison than the Hustler Super Z and the Bad Boy Lightning.

This is as close as you can get comparing any two mowers!

The Hustler Super Z goes to a 31 hp engine and a 72" deck.

The Bad Boy Lightning goes to a 32 hp engine and a 72" deck.

puppypaws
06-15-2009, 04:40 PM
How do you classify your ZTR's?? most are classed into: large frame, medium frame, small frame, with these new 36" midmounts fitting into the small frame segment, as well as the homeowner classification within the small framed ZTR's.:

Give me your definition between a large frame and medium frame ZTR?

nosparkplugs
06-15-2009, 04:53 PM
Give me your definition between a large frame and medium frame ZTR?

BAD BOY Lightning

retrodog
06-15-2009, 05:13 PM
BAD BOY Lightning

Pup, and lightning is the medium frame badboy, while I believe the z is the medium frame hustler. The Aos 27hp lc kawa, 35hp vanguard, and the cat diesels are Bad Boy's large frame mower, so yes the super z and the aos is more of a comparison, especially when you look at the price points! Hey, you guys give this guy a break, he already had to open up a new post because his last one was took over, let him shine, he just got a brand new bad azz mower, and you guys are just fussing about something else.....lol. I will open you guys up your own thread.

retrodog
06-15-2009, 05:45 PM
ok guys, here is your new thread http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=279038 You guys can have at it on here instead, just to add fuel to the fire, the 2009 Super Z Hustler 60" Kohler 28hp EFI retails for $12829, and the Bad Boy AOS 35hp 4 cylinder cat diesel 60" retails for $12495.....ummmm sounds more like apples to apples there.........

puppypaws
06-15-2009, 09:59 PM
ok guys, here is your new thread http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=279038 You guys can have at it on here instead, just to add fuel to the fire, the 2009 Super Z Hustler 60" Kohler 28hp EFI retails for $12829, and the Bad Boy AOS 35hp 4 cylinder cat diesel 60" retails for $12495.....ummmm sounds more like apples to apples there.........

Here it is, explain it to the people so they will understand about comparing apples to apples. I will let them look so they can figure it out for themselves.

I take you both to be objectively intelligent people, we are not discussing prices in any outline or form. We are talking about which mowers come together in a more equal comparison. Now try to remember, I like Bad Boy mowers and believe in their company 100%. I have personally sold several Bad Boys as well as Hustlers, I tell people at this time you by far get more mower for the money with Bad Boy.

This is the same thing I told a gentleman that called me Sunday night from Alabama talking to me about the differences in Exmark and Badboy. I actually told him I would arrange a demo with a 32 hp Lightning and I thought it would sell itself. I can buy a Super Z for one price and buy the BB Lightning with the 32 Vanguard for $3000.00 less, which way do you actually think I am going to direct people. You still must present the exact facts, not what you think or hear.

We do not want to puzzle people with confusing data, let's lay them on the table as to which mowers compare the closest. Get price totally out of your minds, we all know Scag, Exmark and now Hustler is over priced and this is why Bad Boy is selling mowers to the point they cannot keep up on the assembly line.

Hustler Super Z / 60" Deck / Total Weight 1212 lbs. / HP 23 thru 31

BB Lightning / 60" Deck / Total Weight 1110 lbs. / HP 26 thru 31

BB AOS Gas / 60" Deck / Total Weight 1278 lbs. / HP 27 thru 35

BB AOS Diesel / 60" Deck / Total Weight 1522 lbs. / HP 28 & 35

Look at weights and horse power and tell me which mowers compare the best.
This should not take a great deal of thought.

johnnybravo8802
06-15-2009, 10:16 PM
A few more. This mower is much more to me than just a mower. In the recession of the early 80's my dad lost his job and at 11 I started mowing lawns to help support the family and eventually my Dad and I built it into a business that supported us for many years. We were the ones that some people on here like to make fun of because we didn't have the best equipment and I'm sure we were called lowballers, we did the best we could with what we had. That business kept us off of welfare and kept us feed, I learned many of lifes lessons behind a mower. I remember my dad always kept a brochure of a bobcat ztr in his briefcase. It was tattered and ratty but he would show it to any one who would listen and tell them someday... Well he died and never got it. I moved on and a few years ago the bug of lawncare bit again, but I told my self I wanted to do it right. I have worked my ass off and payed cash for everything. I think of him every time I climb on, its not a bobcat but somehow I think he would approve! I plan on climbing on this fathers day and mow until I can't take it any more as a tribute to my Dad. Those of you who still have your fathers with you don't take them for granted. Happy Fathers Day! And here's a big middle finger to those who look down upon those who have less than they do, we all got to start some where!
I know how you feel. I lost my father 8 months ago to a massive heart attack at age 62. He had only drawn 7 retirement checks. He had to take an early out in 96' from Ga. Power and had to start mowing to make ends meet. I used to help him and my step mother on a lot of their jobs and it was some of the happiest days of my life. This is the first summer I've ever mowed with him gone and I have nobody to talk to about mowers, the industry, game plans, etc-man stuff. I mow the nursing home he enjoyed so much and everytime I ride across it on my Scag, I think of him also. My grandmother(His mother-she raised me) just passed away 2 weeks ago at that same nsg home(She was of sound mind and hadn't been there long) and today I mowed it. It was a really lonely feeling......I miss them and this will be my first Father's day without my father. Your right-don't take them for granted!!!!!Congratulations on your new BB and I know he would have been proud!!!:clapping:

saylorsdad
06-15-2009, 10:58 PM
my dad has been gone for two years now he was a truck driver and we loved to talk engines he would have loved to drive my new mower. best luck with the badboy just remember even the best mower needs maintained. I clean deck, check oil both hyd and engine, grease it, and sharpen blades like it is a religious service I expect years of service.
Posted via Mobile Device

brucec
06-16-2009, 12:01 AM
Way to get the tread back on track guys, it was never meant to be a pissing match. I guess BB and Better Outdoor Prods. brings that out.