PDA

View Full Version : GrandStand and Wright Stander side by side

brucec
06-13-2009, 03:44 PM
Here is a Wright I just sold next to the toro GrandStand I had on demo last weekend. Both are great machines. Side by side I would almost call it a draw but I had to give it to the toro because of the turbo force deck. With that being said I bought a 60" BadBoy with the 32hp Vangard. See pic in my other post.

brucec
06-13-2009, 03:52 PM
A few more.

Mowbizz
06-13-2009, 03:52 PM
The foot positioning on the Wright looks very restrictive (one position for your feet) whereas the Toro gives a wide open pad to vary foot position...That alone would be a deal breaker for me with my size 13 wide feet...:drinkup:

brucec
06-13-2009, 04:00 PM
for some reason I liked the wright platform better, and I have big feet as well

brucec
06-13-2009, 04:02 PM
The toro is a 48" that is all they had for me to demo, A 52" would have had more trim side.

W.L.M.
06-13-2009, 04:02 PM
The grand stand certainly looks like a lot more machine, what price did they offer you on it ? and what engine?

brucec
06-13-2009, 04:12 PM
$7490 tax included but I would have had to buy at least one weight for the front because the front end wanted to come up on me on moderate inclines. I am 6' 4" 270# though. I didn't really think it was right to have to pay $100 for a weight to keep the front end down, seems like a design flaw to me. The wright would climb some crazy hills and never begin to lose the front. I still REALLY liked the grandstand though! I bought a bad boy for $500 more and it is much more machine. I know it is apples to oranges but for $500 the bad boy was a no brainer. I will get another stander later.

brucec
06-13-2009, 04:13 PM
Sorry that was for the 52"/ 23 hp.

joef450snowplow
08-23-2009, 09:24 PM
i like the toro looks cool and u got more space for you feet

Smithco Lawncare
08-24-2009, 07:02 PM
thats a rh stander, I never knew it was SOOOOOOOOO much smaller than the regular oe.

Kutz Lawns
08-24-2009, 07:31 PM
I don't get why anyone would want to stand!

Smithco Lawncare
08-24-2009, 07:35 PM

You can duck from obstacles and shift your weight to maintain traction. You can go up 45 degree angles
Posted via Mobile Device

ohiogreenworks
08-24-2009, 08:46 PM

Seems like it wouldnt be any fun but it really is! It is so much more versatile than a Z and it will go on hills you can barely walk on!

Anyway, as for the grandstand and the rh stander, I am very used to the stander since we have been using it all year and I love it. But I did get to try out a grandstand the other day on one of our lawns and it is really nice. A lot smoother and not as jerky as the stander. Turns were a lot better and did not tear up as much grass in very wet conditions. I like things about both of them but think I would lean toward the grandstand if I had to buy new. So many nice features. Although, you really should compare the new standers that are coming out to the grandstand they compare a lot better...

Smithco Lawncare
08-24-2009, 09:18 PM

look at this!
http://wrightmfg.com/10reasons/
why would anyone buy a sit down ZTR?????????????
and why would you buy anything but a stander????

brucec32
08-24-2009, 11:15 PM
I noticed the Grandstand is only about 100 lbs lighter than a compact class (lazer hp, Gravely 144z) ZTR of similar deck size (w/o a ROPS installed).

Have users noticed if they do noticeably less turf damage? Any quicker to turn than a ZTR w/o damaging turf?

Lazer Cut
08-25-2009, 09:06 AM
I demoed a 52" 23 hrs Kawi on it. It did very well on my grass. Now what I cut was early morning due and still had rememnts of the previous rain. The grass was very wet and the nice wide tires did not rut or tear up the grass when turning. It did a lot better than my old lazer z did. My lazer would leave tracks this didnt. Had very little tracks from the tires and the grass did not clump up in the chute which was very nice. Although on some yards it scalped rather bad. Would be nice for some scapler wheels to maybe keep the deck from digging in so bad.

Next year I am going to buy a grandstand, they say the new models do not have the flaws that last year and this years model did. They had trouble with some of the spindles and watch for the throttle cable breaking and the gas container being loose on the front. Those were some of the flaws for this year...

Brad Ent
08-25-2009, 12:34 PM
Smithco,
Can you (or someone) post some video footage of your Wright holding a 45 deg slope.
Maybe we don't have the correct technique or optimal weight distribution to get one of these things to cut without sliding or tearing up the turf.
One other issue we had with the Wright demo was turning/tearing and loss of traction due to the lo pro tires.

RedSquareLandscaping
08-25-2009, 12:50 PM
for some reason the wright looks different
hmmmm???????

brucec32
08-25-2009, 02:45 PM
I demoed a 52" 23 hrs Kawi on it. It did very well on my grass. Now what I cut was early morning due and still had rememnts of the previous rain. The grass was very wet and the nice wide tires did not rut or tear up the grass when turning. It did a lot better than my old lazer z did. My lazer would leave tracks this didnt. Had very little tracks from the tires and the grass did not clump up in the chute which was very nice. Although on some yards it scalped rather bad. Would be nice for some scapler wheels to maybe keep the deck from digging in so bad.

Next year I am going to buy a grandstand, they say the new models do not have the flaws that last year and this years model did. They had trouble with some of the spindles and watch for the throttle cable breaking and the gas container being loose on the front. Those were some of the flaws for this year...

Those are some nice beefy rear tires. I have had the reservation about scalping that your experience seems to confirm. I sometimes have to mow stuff at 1.25" and can't have something that would dip a deck edge down and damage the lawn if a wheel went in a low spot. They can't put antiscalps on this machine as-is because I think the weight of the machine with the deck not floating would just dig the wheels into the ground rather than rolling up over it.

Hopefully they will make a 40" version with minimal trim edge for us Bermuda cutters. (ala Walker's 40" deck)

tacoma200
08-25-2009, 02:57 PM
Just a note, I did have a very short demo on a Wright ZK and it had much more room than the model shown. Depending on the models the Wrights don't all have the box between your feet. I am not knowledgeable enough to make a case for either brand but it is important to note Wright has several models that vary significantly.

Smithco Lawncare
08-25-2009, 03:11 PM
Smithco,
Can you (or someone) post some video footage of your Wright holding a 45 deg slope.
Maybe we don't have the correct technique or optimal weight distribution to get one of these things to cut without sliding or tearing up the turf.
One other issue we had with the Wright demo was turning/tearing and loss of traction due to the lo pro tires.

Yes I have a video actually. I'll post it tonight or tonorrow
Posted via Mobile Device

Jpeg lawn maintenance
08-25-2009, 03:31 PM
for some reason I liked the wright platform better, and I have big feet as well

i have a 48 rh stander and i have a size 15 boot and works fine for me IMO i would wait until all the bugs are worked out of the grandstand.

Tom'sLandscapeDesign
08-25-2009, 04:27 PM

I dont get why people would want to sit while mowing.

Its preference.

Smithco Lawncare
08-25-2009, 10:19 PM
for some reason the wright looks different
hmmmm???????

I thought the same thing. I was like WHAT THE F**K!! is that Stander? It looked tiny with a 52'' deck. It looked like a 32'' with a 52'' deck. Then I looked at the picture again. Its a Stander RH.

How bout they compare the fixed deck stander 52/23 with the grandstand 52/23. Make a video of the mowers doing the same thing, especially hills. The grandstand can NOT hold a hill

Smithco Lawncare
08-25-2009, 10:20 PM
Those are some nice beefy rear tires. I have had the reservation about scalping that your experience seems to confirm. I sometimes have to mow stuff at 1.25" and can't have something that would dip a deck edge down and damage the lawn if a wheel went in a low spot. They can't put antiscalps on this machine as-is because I think the weight of the machine with the deck not floating would just dig the wheels into the ground rather than rolling up over it.

Hopefully they will make a 40" version with minimal trim edge for us Bermuda cutters. (ala Walker's 40" deck)

If you dont want to hurt the grass, why would you mow at 1.25''
I dont mow anything under 3.25''

clcare2
08-25-2009, 11:18 PM
Please note that the RH is giant piece of crap and should be eliminated from all comparisons. It just gives people the wrong idea about wright mowers.

I bought an extra mower and started doing my own engine work just so that I didn't have to use the demo from the repair shop.

Jpeg lawn maintenance
08-26-2009, 12:13 AM
Please note that the RH is giant piece of crap and should be eliminated from all comparisons. It just gives people the wrong idea about wright mowers.

I bought an extra mower and started doing my own engine work just so that I didn't have to use the demo from the repair shop.

i happen to have a rapid height IMO ithink it is an outstanding mower

Bob_n_weave
08-26-2009, 12:52 AM
I thought the same thing. I was like WHAT THE F**K!! is that Stander? It looked tiny with a 52'' deck. It looked like a 32'' with a 52'' deck. Then I looked at the picture again. Its a Stander RH.

How bout they compare the fixed deck stander 52/23 with the grandstand 52/23. Make a video of the mowers doing the same thing, especially hills. The grandstand can NOT hold a hill

Your joking right ? :nono: I have over 75 hrs on my Grandstand and it does hold a hill, some pretty step ones I might add in my backyard. Had my friend over just today with his walker and he did not want to try my backyard. Or would I with any sit down mower. The more I use it the more I like the Grandstand. But... I also think $7500. I too much money for it.

Now if you try to back up a hill with it, well... not good. Toro can you fix that ? Also my Grandstand did not lay good strips like in the pics here, until I bought a strip kit that Toro hasn't made for it yet.

Grandstand users if your looking for strip kit go too www.bigleaguelawns.com I was the genie pig (first to buy) and the kit works very good with 1 very small mode to bottom of platform .

brucec32
08-26-2009, 05:05 PM
If you dont want to hurt the grass, why would you mow at 1.25''
I dont mow anything under 3.25''

You're not mowing hybrid bermudagrass, either. With a reel mower it can be cut at .5". Very different growth habit than what you're mowing. Since that's expensive and slow, a rotary mower than can cut at a still-acceptable 1.25" to 2" w/o looking bad is a big plus.

I know some folks don't travel much, but this is a big country and there are very different types of grass in different places.

truckn
08-26-2009, 05:10 PM
You're not mowing hybrid bermudagrass, either. With a reel mower it can be cut at .5". Very different growth habit than what you're mowing. Since that's expensive and slow, a rotary mower than can cut at a still-acceptable 1.25" to 2" w/o looking bad is a big plus.

I know some folks don't travel much, but this is a big country and there are very different types of grass in different places.Why do you "have" to cut it at that height? Does the grass die or something at 3''?:confused:

integrityman
08-26-2009, 06:03 PM
I'd like to see some side by side picture of cut pattern and quality.

RedSquareLandscaping
08-26-2009, 08:06 PM
visit my thread Landscaping today in garfield

lilweeds
08-26-2009, 08:46 PM

You really outta be able to back up that comment. Now I don't have a camera, but I have a slope that is around a 50 degree angle and my GS holds that hill like glue. I've tried it before with a ZTR and slide down the hill, it sucked. Now I will say I have never been on a wright and I'm sure they are a good mower, but from what I'm told the cut quality is not as good. Also everyone talks about bugs, what bugs, I have number 438 or something, and with the exception of a couple hardware issues and now the throttle issue (which I'm told the fix will be out very soon) there aren;t any bugs.

tacoma200
09-19-2009, 02:57 AM
You really outta be able to back up that comment. Now I don't have a camera, but I have a slope that is around a 50 degree angle and my GS holds that hill like glue. I've tried it before with a ZTR and slide down the hill, it sucked. Now I will say I have never been on a wright and I'm sure they are a good mower, but from what I'm told the cut quality is not as good. Also everyone talks about bugs, what bugs, I have number 438 or something, and with the exception of a couple hardware issues and now the throttle issue (which I'm told the fix will be out very soon) there aren;t any bugs.
Sorry I don't think any stander will hold a 50 degree slope, do you realize how steep that is. Not even the specialty slope mower will hold at 50 degrees. Mowers made "especially" for slopes may go 30 -40 degrees or maybe more.

Merkava_4
09-19-2009, 07:56 AM
The foot positioning on the Wright looks very restrictive (one position for your feet) whereas the Toro gives a wide open pad to vary foot position...That alone would be a deal breaker for me with my size 13 wide feet...:drinkup:

That's exactly what I was thinking.