PDA

View Full Version : To much rain! (vent)

lazerPA
06-13-2009, 04:54 PM
I'm so behind it rains every day.

I'm about to get some nice rain-gear and just mow away right through the soaking rains and downpours we seem to get here everyday in eastern PA.

Mowbizz
06-13-2009, 05:43 PM

I'm about to get some nice rain-gear and just mow away right through the soaking rains and downpours we seem to get here everyday in eastern PA.

Yup...gotta bite the bullet and just do it! Sucks though...the thing that gets me is thet clogging of the ultra vac...what a wet green mess...:dizzy:

johnslandscaping
06-13-2009, 05:58 PM
Same here. We just have been cutting rain or shine also Had to break out the Aqua Boots. Some places are just swamps........

Lux Lawn
06-13-2009, 06:52 PM
We had a stretch like that not long ago, it really does suck. Just think in another month we will be begging for some rain because its to dry. Just never get enough rain when you need it.

SimonCX
06-13-2009, 08:41 PM
Sucks here too, everyday more rain. Some properties I can't cut for a couple days because the rider or walkbehind sink into the ground because there so wet.

Whitey4
06-13-2009, 08:51 PM
I've been able to stay one day behind on cutting, but my weed spray controls are way behind. Fungus problems big time, and even healthy truf has a boatload of all sorts of mushrooms coming up in it... cool weather, humidity and constant rain.

The rainfall has to be some sort of record this spring here.... HAS to be.

tacoma200
06-13-2009, 08:56 PM
There's probably a drought on the way come July.

topsites
06-13-2009, 09:17 PM
All you do is boot up the laptop, hike yourself into any unsecured Wifi and keep
the weather radar on, then with the GPS route yourself around any of that.

Or you can do like I do, and always kind of keep an eye on the clouds.
And keep watching them, because it takes time.

After 7 years of it I rarely get dumped on, it rains here every day too.
Now I don't guarantee success, but I do believe it really does help, over the years, to learn those clouds.

For those who are already good at it, there's more...
Weather works in patterns, every year is different but I can usually tell by the end of spring what the rest of the year is going to be like.
Again it doesn't work 100% of the time, but it does help, I frequently arrange my schedule accordingly.

Now, with daily thunderstorms?
Only once you become familiar with the various patterns does this work, but going to another part of the county can work wonders.
Dark thunderheads dumping cats and dogs on one end, sunny as can be on the other :p
The trick is to learn which way they move, where they come from, where they go, how it varies with the patterns.
Now it does take years, at least it did for me, just have to keep watching.

Because if nothing else, you may not know squat about the weather...
But look up because if you see a dark thunderhead moving your way from just over the next line of trees maybe it's time to re-arrange the work.
Saves my tail.

lazerPA
06-13-2009, 09:24 PM
All you do is boot up the laptop, hike yourself into any unsecured Wifi and keep

Now I don't guarantee success, but I do believe it really does help, over the years, to learn those clouds.

Weather works in patterns, every year is different but I can usually tell by the end of spring what the rest of the year is going to be like.
Again it doesn't work 100% of the time, but it does help, I frequently arrange my schedule accordingly.

Only once you become familiar with the various patterns does this work, but going to another part of the county can work wonders.
Dark thunderheads dumping cats and dogs on one end, sunny as can be on the other :p
The trick is to learn which way they move, where they come from, where they go.
And it does take years, just have to keep watching.

So what's the forecast???:confused:

STIHL GUY
06-13-2009, 11:27 PM
here its been raining at night and nice during the days. the rain has been good for the lawns

Scagmower48
06-13-2009, 11:36 PM
here its been raining at night and nice during the days. the rain has been good for the lawns

CT is not that big to get different weather patterns. What do you call Friday morning, Thursday morning, Wednesday morning, and tuesday all day?

W.L.M.
06-13-2009, 11:45 PM

It is the same way in NWpa if not worse, my accounts were just fertiliezed too and then this rain business started. Not a fun couple weeks.

Chilehead
06-13-2009, 11:54 PM

The trick is to learn which way they move, where they come from, where they go, how it varies with the patterns.
Now it does take years, at least it did for me, just have to keep watching.

Because if nothing else, you may not know squat about the weather...
But look up because if you see a dark thunderhead moving your way from just over the next line of trees maybe it's time to re-arrange the work.
Saves my tail.

You've got that right. I subscribe to data service for my cell phone, and check radar routinely on cloudy days.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-14-2009, 12:23 AM
There's probably a drought on the way come July.

Per above, well said. About the time you curse the rain, the spicket runs absolutely dry and then your mowing biz really DOES come to a grinding halt.
Be thankful you are getting the rain.

mowerdude777
06-14-2009, 10:42 AM
we have not had that much rain lately. I have on top of my routs

David Haggerty
06-14-2009, 04:19 PM
I've been worrying about not enough rain in June! May was rain all the time but in June it just quit. Then last tuesday they forecast afternoon showers. So I got up at 5:30 and went to work. By 8:00 it started to rain. I worked in the rain all day! Soaked completely thru the rain suit clear down to my underwear. Went back to the truck and changed clothes and put on the other rain suit. Gore tex is good but not water proof. It saturates after a while.
Mowed all day in the rain. Happy as a clam. It's going to save the month of June. HEY! It's raining right now! Money in the bank!
It rains so much here nobody's got irrigation. So if there's a dry spell the grass goes dormant. I'll mow wet grass but not dead grass.
But I'm used to mowing in the rain. I have the clothes and the right equipment.

Florida Gardener
06-14-2009, 04:32 PM
we had about 3-4 weeks of rain down here where it was raining about 3-5 days a week with at least one downpour. We have had our first week of no rain. I welcome it now b/c come July, it will be dry as hell. Every year at least down here we have 1 month where we get little to no rain. It doesn't matter b/c im getting paid either way and most of my customers have irrigation but i def. do not like cutting dried out grass and sand flying in my face.

Whitey4
06-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Per above, well said. About the time you curse the rain, the spicket runs absolutely dry and then your mowing biz really DOES come to a grinding halt.
Be thankful you are getting the rain.

Here, nearly every lawn is irrigated, and this location is rarely affected by drought as the aquifers are always full... it would take a 3 year drought to empty them, and that is not likely to happen. So, for me the rain means delays, getting backed up and lawn disease. I'll just go ahead and curse all this rain for myself.

My area does not suffer the way other parts of the country do with little rainfall... here this biz runs like the Energizer bunny.

South Florida Lawns
06-14-2009, 06:19 PM
I don't mind mowing in the rain, its a nice break from the hot sun.