PDA

View Full Version : shindawida or echo

hockeyman20
06-13-2009, 06:32 PM
i went to my local dealer today. I have narroweed it down to 2 options. Either the shindawida T242 or the Echo SRM 230. Is there any opions or comments on these trimmers would be helpful.

tjlco
06-13-2009, 07:23 PM
I will only use Shindaiwa...never had any luck with Echo hand equipment. I have never had the 242, however I have 5 t-260's that my guys can't kill

mowerdude777
06-13-2009, 08:02 PM
I have never used shindiawa, but echo SUCKS

rob7233
06-13-2009, 08:33 PM
No matter what Brand you get new these days, the EPA has choked them all off and are running leaner than ever. Echo has far more carb issues than Shindaiwa. Damn thing will run fine then take a crap on you.... Whatever you decide, I recommend 2 things -

1) Always use a fuel preservative (like Stabil) in addition to your mix. Especially now, with Ethanol (read Alcohol) based fuels. Alcohol attracts water and (the sludge)will settle in the bottom of the fuel tank and get sucked up first via the filter and wash away all the oil in the mix. This is really bad for rings and cylinders, gaskets and fuel lines.

Wanna know how can you help to prevent this? Shake your engines first thing in the morning or after sitting awhile, to mix the fuel back up. It's a really important habit to develop with all the humidity and heat of summer.

2) Spend the extra money and upgrade to the next larger size in either Echo or Shindaiwa. Something in the 260/261/265 range. They're just built better for commercial use and offer more power for the tougher jobs. Spend your money right the first time and you won't have to put more good money behind bad. Good luck. BTW: I'm a fan of Shindaiwa but have mostly the older stuff - T270/T260 EB630 etc.

djagusch
06-13-2009, 08:35 PM
I owned a M242 for 2 years now and loved it. I just picked up a T242 this spring. The 242 engine runs well and has plenty of power for trimming.

B.O.S.man
06-13-2009, 09:32 PM
I own both of those trimmers, carry them both every day, but I always grab the shindy. Why? its lighter and b/c of the speedfeed head, it can be reloaded in less than thirty seconds.

flyboy
06-13-2009, 09:40 PM
i went to my local dealer today. I have narroweed it down to 2 options. Either the shindawida T242 or the Echo SRM 230. Is there any opions or comments on these trimmers would be helpful.

I have used both and would 100% go with the Shindaiwa. I would especially get the Shindi if you are going to use it alot. I have Stihl, but if I didn't I would roll with the Shindi:cool2:

genesis215
06-13-2009, 09:48 PM
The T242 is a much better unit. It will last for many years. The Echo is good too, but doesn't have the power of the Shindaiwa. Also, Echo's get harder and harder to start after a few years of use, so unless you plan somewhat short-term use, I would definitely take the Shindaiwa. I owned a Shindaiwa T260 and it was always so reliable, and had good power.

J & D Greens
06-13-2009, 10:15 PM
I have a echo stick edger and both the 210 and the 230. But as they ware out I plan on going with either sthil or shindi for hand helds. But only when they are dead because they aren't that bad of units for the light use I give them.

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Can't comment on the Shindaiwa, but I find the Echo 230 to be a bit gutless. Works when things are nice and easy, but a real time killer when it's wet/thick.

Plus, I've never had an Echo survive even 2 full seasons...

W.L.M.
06-13-2009, 10:33 PM
I own both of those trimmers, carry them both every day, but I always grab the shindy. Why? its lighter and b/c of the speedfeed head, it can be reloaded in less than thirty seconds.

Bingo shindaiwas are a good bit lighter and run better. Shindaiwa is the only brand I am going to use moving forward.

Tray
06-14-2009, 10:40 AM
I just bought a Shindaiwa T242. Great unit! I bought based off of research and on the recommendation of a local groundskeeper. He maintains a college campus. His comments are that he can get 4 years of solid use (3-5 hours per day) from the T242 with no problem.
I looked hard at the T260 but decided on the T242 due to the weight. It is handling my needs fine so far!

jkilov
06-14-2009, 11:30 AM
Between these two there's no contest. Shindaiwa is better.