KCfireman
06-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Get the 2006. It's only $100 more.

Cuttinitclose
06-13-2009, 08:48 PM
But nearly twice the hours.

jkingrph
06-13-2009, 09:09 PM
In the pictures you post the front forks on the 06 look to be forged heavy duty, where the 05 looks to be a much lighter weight stamped steel. Are you sure they are the same model?

1993lx172
06-13-2009, 10:26 PM
Just by looking at the pictures and not having seen or inspected these mowers in person, I would go with the 05. To me the 06 looks like it came from some guys rig when he traded up so I would expect more wear due to the nature of commercial cutting and the higher hours is also an indication. The 05, to me, looks looks like it came from a homeowner, as evidenced by the lower hours and over all better physical appearence of the unit so you can expect a mower that has not been beat up over the years. The 06 has more than twice the hours aculmulated in only three years where as the 05 has 160 hours over four years that translates to only forty hours a year as opposed to the eighty hours a year that the 06 has on it. Go with the 05 the age of the unit dosen't matter as much as hours do.

Roger
06-13-2009, 10:54 PM
Any assessment on engine maintenance? The engine hours are low. You don't say your intended useage (e.g. expected hours of use per year). The 240 hours wouldn't scare me, if the engine had been maintained well.

I have run mine nearly 300 hours per season (same machine, 717A) for three seasons. Nothing on the machine seems used at all, excepting the deck belt. I'm still running the original, and it is starting to show signs of wear. The engine now runs just as well as the day I brought it home.

Where are the chute deflectors? In my experience, using the rubber deflector in the full down position provides the best distribution of clippings. Running with it up, or off the machine, will leave a slight windrow effect. I have mine on a chain and hook, so I can position it in any position, fully down, or fully up, or anywhere between. I've done so much experimenting, but for typical lawn mowing, fully down works the best. I hook the chain to put the deflector in the full upright position for trailering.

I really like my 717A - one of the best decisions I made to buy.

Cuttinitclose
06-13-2009, 10:58 PM
In the pictures you post the front forks on the 06 look to be forged heavy duty, where the 05 looks to be a much lighter weight stamped steel. Are you sure they are the same model? Yes.

Just by looking at the pictures and not having seen or inspected these mowers in person, I would go with the 05. To me the 06 looks like it came from some guys rig when he traded up so I would expect more wear due to the nature of commercial cutting and the higher hours is also an indication. The 05, to me, looks looks like it came from a homeowner, as evidenced by the lower hours and over all better physical appearence of the unit so you can expect a mower that has not been beat up over the years. The 06 has more than twice the hours aculmulated in only three years where as the 05 has 160 hours over four years that translates to only forty hours a year as opposed to the eighty hours a year that the 06 has on it. Go with the 05 the age of the unit dosen't matter as much as hours do.
Thats what I thought.

Any assessment on engine maintenance? The engine hours are low. You don't say your intended useage (e.g. expected hours of use per year). The 240 hours wouldn't scare me, if the engine had been maintained well.

I have run mine nearly 300 hours per season (same machine, 717A) for three seasons. Nothing on the machine seems used at all, excepting the deck belt. I'm still running the original, and it is starting to show signs of wear. The engine now runs just as well as the day I brought it home.

Where are the chute deflectors? In my experience, using the rubber deflector in the full down position provides the best distribution of clippings. Running with it up, or off the machine, will leave a slight windrow effect. I have mine on a chain and hook, so I can position it in any position, fully down, or fully up, or anywhere between. I've done so much experimenting, but for typical lawn mowing, fully down works the best. I hook the chain to put the deflector in the full upright position for trailering.

I really like my 717A - one of the best decisions I made to buy. No, I'll call about it monday the 05 has the deflector.

bighaydenslawn
06-13-2009, 11:18 PM
I would say 2005 because of less hours. Same mower, so that only makes sense.

DLCS
06-13-2009, 11:35 PM
I would go with the 06. In 06 Deere came out witht he 7 Iron II decks, which has greater blade tip speed. But both decks are excellent, just that the 7 IronII is superior. Those hrs are nothing, they aren't mowing much at all with that machine. As far as the forks, either one is ok, never had a problem with either style.

Cuttinitclose
06-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Thanks Guys!

KCfireman
06-14-2009, 05:27 PM
240 hrs is nothing for a mower. Kinda like 160,000 miles on a diesel truck.

1993lx172
06-14-2009, 07:55 PM
240 hrs is nothing for a mower. Kinda like 160,000 miles on a diesel truck.

True, but every hour it has acculmulated is one less hour of life that you can expect out of it. Think of it this way, every time you start your truck that is one less time that the starter and all the other components will work in the future. The 05 has less use over a longer period of time instead of more use over a shorter period of time which often means more wear on components. He needs to talk to the dealer and get information and the history of both mowers.

ps. KC how do you like your stander as opposed to a rider (ZTR or other wise)? I'm going to college this year and I need to be able to get my yards done faster, ie; in one day instead of three, and I am considering either getting a stander or trying to find a 48" or 44" deack for the 172.