PDA

View Full Version : Sprinkler damage and firing a good customer

Whitey4
06-13-2009, 10:38 PM
Last year...new account. VERY old sprinkler system, 15 to 20 year old heads, and not installed to code, the lines are less than 2"s under the turf. Last year I cut through two lines going into the beds while using my stick edger. These lines were not even 2 inches deep. I told Tom if he got them repaired (just those two lines) I'd split the cost ( I am not licensed as a plumber, and I only go legit.... no unlicensed work).

Fast forward to this year.... Tom had a stroke. I really like this guy... borderline friendship relationship. So he is out of commission, enter his wife, who had also always been very nice. Prompt payers.

She gets a irrigation guy to come in. He charges 30 bucks per broken head. He gives her a bill of $240, and she tells me she thinks it's only fair that I pay half. I'm very unhappy, but I know it has to be hard with all the medical and rehab bills for Tom, so I reluctantly agree, while letting her know I think it's a crock.

The next words out of her mouth? "How come the next door neighbor's bill is ONE dollar a month less?" I just gave this wanker $120 that I did not have to, and she is going to complain about 25 cents a week?

I told her to go back into the house, and I was steamed. I mowed, but that was all, and knocked on the door. I told her "You owe nothing to me for May ($120) and nothing for June. It wasn't the $120, it was the $1. Find another landscaper." She got quite nasty. Did her best to make me look like the bad guy with my other accounts on the block (which I circumvented very well, explaining what really happened)

My new contracts will spell out that sprinkler head damage is NOT my responsibility. 20 year old heads get brittle and crack just by being stepped on.

How do you folks handle such issues? My concern was that the old Belgian block borders were starting to fall apart... was that the next thing she would blame on me and want me to pay for?

I figured fighting this in court would have cost me more than the $160 or so it cost me....

ed2hess
06-13-2009, 10:47 PM
We repair the stuff even if we think we shouldn't. Found out over the years it just isn't worth fighting with customers.

Whitey4
06-13-2009, 10:52 PM
We repair the stuff even if we think we shouldn't. Found out over the years it just isn't worth fighting with customers.

Normally, I would agree, but $120 in costs I did not cause? And the belgian block thing? I ran....

Florida Gardener
06-13-2009, 11:07 PM
Just wondering....why didn't you replace the heads??? a head is a couple bucks and we double it for the install part. $30/head is rediculous. Also, I don't know why you gave her 2 months for free?? I would have cooled down and discussed when some time passed. I tell my customers, if i brake a head, i replace it at no cost to the customer. it is easy to run over one or damage one, it's just part of the business. now, if your dealing with a 15-20 yr old system and heads, prob a different story.

I'm not coming off as im putting you down, just might have handled the situation a little differently. I def. understand why you were steamed though.

Keith
06-13-2009, 11:17 PM
I thought you cut through two lines? Did the irrigation contractor fix that, or just replace malfunctioning heads?

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-13-2009, 11:24 PM
Just wondering....why didn't you replace the heads???

Look at where he lives. His hands are tied.

Florida Gardener
06-13-2009, 11:27 PM
^In NY, you have to be a licensed plumber to change sprinkler heads???if so, that is a crock.

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-13-2009, 11:31 PM
^In NY, you have to be a licensed plumber to change sprinkler heads???if so, that is a crock.

Yes it is. Welcome to NY.

Whitey4
06-13-2009, 11:36 PM
Just wondering....why didn't you replace the heads??? a head is a couple bucks and we double it for the install part. $30/head is rediculous. Also, I don't know why you gave her 2 months for free?? I would have cooled down and discussed when some time passed. I tell my customers, if i brake a head, i replace it at no cost to the customer. it is easy to run over one or damage one, it's just part of the business. now, if your dealing with a 15-20 yr old system and heads, prob a different story.

I'm not coming off as im putting you down, just might have handled the situation a little differently. I def. understand why you were steamed though.

I am 100% legal. I can't touch an irrigation system without a plumber's license, although 90% of the guys here do it anyway.

Aside from that, she got this guy to come in without asking me about it first, got his bill and demanded half. I had talked about this with her husband, and only agreed to share the cost of the cut lines which were not installed to code in the first place. She had the whole system fixed and thought I should pay half.

Let me ask this... if a head gets broken, why? I use a 300 pound Quick, and that weight is spread over four wheels. I never make turns over a sprinkler head. If a head cracks, even if it was because a mower went over it, that is either:

1. An old head that would have boken if a 200 pound man stepped on it (like stepping out of a car where two of the broken heads were at the curb)

2. A head that malfunctioned and didn't go down or was otherwise faulty.

I repeat... I agreed to eat the 120.... then she bitched abour 25 cents a week in the next sentence. THAT is what set me off. I have 4 other customers on this street.... let them get the message. I'm a nice guy, too nice, too many freebies, but don't take advantage thinking I'm some weakling. I'm the highest quality LCO in this tiwn, and still a bit uinder the average pricing in year two. Let this ***** pay more for less. And again.... her belgian block is starting to fall apart. The next "bill" might be for that, unless I put my foot down.

W.L.M.
06-13-2009, 11:38 PM
Yes it is. Welcome to NY.

Haha, I live on the NY pa border and have heard so many horror stories about the regulations in NY especially the big apple. Absolutely rediculous up there, I can't imagine trying to run a business there.

birdman0494
06-13-2009, 11:44 PM
that sucks orlando is way more relaxed with permits if i remember florida law says you can put down the fertilizer if they buy it. wow ny sucks

topsites
06-13-2009, 11:45 PM
Yeah, it sucks when a riser busts, but I just make the best of it I can.
On that note, it's a little cheaper to diy.

Whitey4
06-13-2009, 11:46 PM
Haha, I live on the NY pa border and have heard so many horror stories about the regulations in NY especially the big apple. Absolutely rediculous up there, I can't imagine trying to run a business there.

Sometimes I can't imagine running a biz here either. I can GUARANTEE that that belgian block would have cost me if I didn't drop her. Her husband Tom was a gem, but with the stroke, he's out of commission. She's broke with rehab bills, and will do ANYTHING to get some $$$ now. I was willing to give the $120.... it was the one dollar a month that broke this camel's back.

Think about it.... I agreed to pay for repairs I was not responsible for.... and THEN she bitched about 25 cents a week?!

I fired her, and I'm still glad I did.

LushGreenLawn
06-13-2009, 11:48 PM

$30 a head is ridiculous? most guys won't mow a yard for $30, and you think its riduculous to drive to someones house to replace a head and charge $30. What do you charge? In my area head replacements are usually $100+ per head.

Whitey4
06-13-2009, 11:53 PM
$30 a head is ridiculous? most guys won't mow a yard for $30, and you think its riduculous to drive to someones house to replace a head and charge $30. What do you charge? In my area head replacements are usually $100+ per head.

I need to get a plumber's license. A new head costs what, 6 or 7 bucks, an you charge $100? :laugh: You sir are the master of rip offs if you get away with those knds of charges... .my hat is off to you, although I would have some trouble sleeping at night.

ed2hess
06-14-2009, 12:12 AM
Normally, I would agree, but $120 in costs I did not cause? And the belgian block thing? I ran....

Well it cost you the account......do you feel better:confused: You might as well said no I am not paying you didn't give me a chance to see the damage or fix it. That way you would have got your money and not have paid the $120.

Whitey4
06-14-2009, 12:26 AM
Well it cost you the account......do you feel better:confused: You might as well said no I am not paying you didn't give me a chance to see the damage or fix it. That way you would have got your money and not have paid the $120.

My greatest talent in in fact sales, being able to read and react to people. She was going to character assasinate me with her neighbors who are still customers. I sized up what was going on. After the conversation, I still mowed her lawn, and took time to cool off. THEN I went back and fired her. It was partially an emotional decision, but still, the right one.

Your post also indicated that you do not understend in NY I am not a licensed plumber. If I were to repair the irrigation system, I would be breaking the law. No license, no insurance for plumbing work. You also failed to understand that I agreed to half the cost of ONLY the two sub standard lines that I had cut.... not to share the cost of an entire system rehab.

Whitey4
06-14-2009, 12:34 AM
Oh, by the way Ed....due to referrals, I picked up two new accounts yesterday. Lost one, a problem account, and got two, and yes, I feel "better" about that. I am flat out the highest service quality LCO in this town. This customer is already regretting what they did. I'm cherry picking now.... and have replacemnt customers lined up.

It's good to be the king. :laugh:

kaferhaus
06-14-2009, 01:23 AM
Our agreements release us from any damage to sprinkler systems, hoses and anything left laying in the yard (toys etc.)

I NEVER pay for anything that we didn't break or damage and of course never pay for sprinkler damage. If the system was installed properly, a lawn mower or trimmer isn't going to damage it.

It's just like doing something "extra" that you're not being paid for.... sounds all warm and fuzzy but next thing you know they ask you to do something extra and EXPECT not to be charged for it. I stopped that 20yrs ago after it happened to me twice in one week.

HOOLIE
06-14-2009, 01:34 AM
Next time if you break something requiring outside assistance, call and setup everything with a contractor yourself. Don't let the customer handle this, you have no idea then what they are asking to have fixed. Just get your own guy and he can deal with you directly.

Man, people can tick me off but I don't give hundreds of dollars away. You should have just handed her a dollar with a smile and said "Here ya go!" :laugh:

topsites
06-14-2009, 02:10 AM
I need to get a plumber's license. A new head costs what, 6 or 7 bucks, an you charge $100? :laugh: You sir are the master of rip offs if you get away with those knds of charges... .my hat is off to you, although I would have some trouble sleeping at night.

I'm not disagreeing but a wide-area 360-radius riser costs a lot more than that, the heads you're likely thinking of are the small
area coverage ones like for flowerbeds and the like, but... It still only costs a fraction of what those irrigation folks charge.

And y'all irrigation folks say what you want but it ain't right and I realize we don't drop the gate for under $30
but then y'all don't need no dang expensive equipment to replace the stupid riser, you don't need a trailer,
I don't even know why y'all drive a van when you can fit all that you need in the passenger side seat of a
4-banger compact car, open the trunk and you can fit ALL the tools and parts to service 10 or 20 locations
at a time AND you could be getting 40+mpg!
Talk about all the overhead, my butt.

It takes 15-20 or 30 minutes to replace one, the work itself is almost as hard as driving
out there other than you're outside of the A/C.

But those risers that irrigate the lawn areas usually do cost closer to $15, each.
So $30 is not outrageous, 40 is all right and 50 might be a bit steep but $80 and up is way out there.
I would have trouble sleeping at night too, that *&%^ ain't right.

CGlisson
06-14-2009, 02:36 AM
Next time you're mowing up the street she'll come crying for you to come back to her. You did the right thing. It's always unfortunate, but people get spoiled when you're nice to them and expect the extra stuff. Maybe she'll be nicer to the next guy.

And P.S.- NY does suck. My accountant told me to hang onto 30% of what I make for taxes......UHHHHHHH will do?

lawnguyland
06-14-2009, 07:44 AM
I only replace heads i break with a thatcher or aerator- everything else is spelled out in the contract- I'm not paying to replace heads that get clipped by a mower.

Also- I know you have to be a plumber to do the irrigation system work that is on and in the house and those pipes, but not to change a head-- could be true, but I never heard it. would believe it though. stupid ass ny.

and...good decision too.....you are fired lady! I agree

Florida Gardener
06-14-2009, 10:42 AM
In Florida we don't need to have a plumber's license to put on a sprinkler head. Yes, if it is a customer of mine and I am ALREADY at their house, I would NEVER, i repeat NEVER charge them $30 to put on a head that takes me no more than 10 minutes. If someone calls me to come to their house and make sprinkler repairs, well that's a totally different story. At that point, they will get billed at my $50/hour(which I don't tell them of course). Having said all this, we aren't regulated in Florida like other states so changing a head for a current maintenance customer while I am at their place and have the part on me for the head price doubled is what I charge them. That's how it is in Florida. Yes, $100/head is absolutely rediculous. That is highway robbery and YOU yourself would be pissed off if someone charged you that.

BTW, the guy who lives in Orlando, you can put down fertilizer in Florida without a license but you CAN'T put down any kind of weed and feed or anything that is a herbicide,persticide,fungicide without a license. The customer doesn't have to buy the fert for you to put it down.

LushGreenLawn
06-14-2009, 01:16 PM

That is just the going rate in my area. I don't actually do irrigation work, I refer it to someone who is always calling me with fert accounts.

Keep in mind though, that its not like irrigation guys are just slapping a head on. It needs to be adjusted, which I understand does not take that much time, but you do need the customer to be home, and you can end up driving way out of your way to be there when the customer happens to be. Its not like mowing where you can have a route that is tight and efficient, and it does not matter if the customers home. Drive time included, you can easily have an hour in a head repair.

These are guys that make there living installing and repairing irrigation systems, its not something they do on the side because they happen to be there mowing or fertilizing the grass.

Whitey4
06-14-2009, 03:23 PM
I should add this tidbit... not only did he charge 30 bucks a head, he tacked on about $100 in "labor" and told her he gave her a break on that!

She never cleared any of this with me before having the work done. She just demanded money. I saw 3 options.

1. Keep her and run the risk of more bills for damages I am not responsible for.

2. Refuse to pay and go to court.

3. Pay her and dump her.

Court would have cost me time and more $. No way I keep her, after this fiasco. Number 3 was my choice.

Florida Gardener
06-14-2009, 03:36 PM
I def. agree with dumping her, I just would have got paid for the cutting first. Oh well, a headache off your back.

larryinalabama
06-14-2009, 03:52 PM
Whitey MY HERO,

With the womans husband being down and out...................

Well she just wanted your BODY but she really doesnt know how to go about such a thing.

jameson
06-14-2009, 05:08 PM
I am 100% legal.

Given the ridiculous outcome, I can't help but wonder why you're peddling that refrain as a sane defense.

Where the law is an ass, treat it as such.

:dizzy:

Whitey4
06-14-2009, 05:27 PM
Given the ridiculous outcome, I can't help but wonder why you're peddling that refrain as a sane defense.

Where the law is an ass, treat it as such.

:dizzy:

As a "sane defense"? I am not defending anything... I just will not break the law, even if it is a stupid one. There are lots of stupid laws, and NY leads the Union in that category, but I for one follow them even if I disagree.

Some people think there should be no borders... or property lines. That doesn't give one the right to make up their own laws. I fight stupid laws through my LCO association and other legal means. I'll leave civil disobedience to those with a taste for it.

Larry.... this wrinkled old woman can dream... and that's about it! :laugh:

jameson
06-14-2009, 05:40 PM
As a "sane defense"? I am not defending anything... I just will not break the law, even if it is a stupid one. There are lots of stupid laws, and NY leads the Union in that category, but I for one follow them even if I disagree.

Some people think there should be no borders... or property lines. That doesn't give one the right to make up their own laws. I fight stupid laws through my LCO association and other legal means. I'll leave civil disobedience to those with a taste for it.

Illicit irrigation repairs as acts of civil disobedience? Oh, that's a classic :laugh:

Now, how exactly did you remove from replacing a broken pop-up to re-drawing your neighbors property line? I'd think even a New York stater could divine the difference between the two.

Whitey4
06-14-2009, 05:43 PM
Illicit irrigation repairs as acts of civil disobedience? Oh, that's a classic :laugh:

Now, how exactly did you remove from replacing a broken pop-up to re-drawing your neighbors property line? I'd think even a New York stater could divine the difference between the two.

I figured with your "sane defense" statement this discussion had gone into the abstract. Your lead, I just followed with another inane comparison.

Florida Gardener
06-14-2009, 06:51 PM
Why are you criticizing someone who is playing by the rules and doing things by the book??

If something is illegal to do w/out a permit, something as small as changing a sprinkler head, it is still illegal. You can justify it all you want, but at the end of the day it is wrong.

eastportstar
06-14-2009, 07:12 PM
hey whitey, i know you've been cutting a long time. i'm a few years into my solo gig on the island. i know the damage is done, but i've broken a few heads in the past and always had MY irrigation guy do the repair. I've always told the customer sorry i hit a head, i'll have it repaired asap, never been a problem. find a local guy for next time, he'll probably even get YOU some work.

Whitey4
06-14-2009, 07:37 PM
hey whitey, i know you've been cutting a long time. i'm a few years into my solo gig on the island. i know the damage is done, but i've broken a few heads in the past and always had MY irrigation guy do the repair. I've always told the customer sorry i hit a head, i'll have it repaired asap, never been a problem. find a local guy for next time, he'll probably even get YOU some work.

As a solo, if I break a head, I know it and will pay for it. I have zero issues with that... it's being held responsible for things I did not damage that I refuse to live with. If just rolling over a head breaks it, that is not my fault. My biggest machine is a 300 pound Quick WB. I know where the heads are and I don't turn on them. A person stepping on a head is more weight than my machine is. The rear wheels only bear about 100-115 pounds each. This is not a Wright stander I'm talking about... this is a light weight machine.

Good suggestion about finding an irrigation guy... I also want to find a good arborist for work referrals too. I'm not insured or equipped for tree work.

metro36
06-14-2009, 08:21 PM
As a solo, if I break a head, I know it and will pay for it. I have zero issues with that... it's being held responsible for things I did not damage that I refuse to live with. If just rolling over a head breaks it, that is not my fault. My biggest machine is a 300 pound Quick WB. I know where the heads are and I don't turn on them. A person stepping on a head is more weight than my machine is. The rear wheels only bear about 100-115 pounds each. This is not a Wright stander I'm talking about... this is a light weight machine.

Good suggestion about finding an irrigation guy... I also want to find a good arborist for work referrals too. I'm not insured or equipped for tree work.
Why can't you replace the heads you break yourself? Do you really need to be a liscenced plumber to unscrew an old head and replace it with a new one. No one will ever cause you trouble over that. I know about a liscence for installations but everybody out east carries heads on the truck and just replaces them.

LushGreenLawn
06-14-2009, 08:41 PM

Larry.... this wrinkled old woman can dream... and that's about it! :laugh:

I do recall in your new truck thread that you didn't care if you were over your weight limit, that it would be a rare occasion. Its still breaking the law here.

(its hard to convey it in print, but I'm trying to bust your chops in a friendly way:drinkup:)

eastportstar
06-14-2009, 09:37 PM
i have replaced heads before. i guess i'm not supposed to, though. my sprinkler guy is doing a new zone for one of my customers next week, he said i could help him and give me a cut. maybe i'll learn something , work under his license. you never know.

Whitey4
06-14-2009, 10:20 PM
I do recall in your new truck thread that you didn't care if you were over your weight limit, that it would be a rare occasion. Its still breaking the law here.

(its hard to convey it in print, but I'm trying to bust your chops in a friendly way:drinkup:)

Actually, it was a bigger problem than that. I can't park a commercial vehicle in the street overnight, but while it IS against the law, I do park my truck with commercial plates out there, and it isn't a problem. But... if I put DOT numbers on it, it just might be. The good news is I found out I am well under weight...

I'm not a completely anal idiot about the laws, but I do consider risk/reward. Some idiot accuses me of flooding a basment because I screwed up a head installation (don't laugh, it could happen, especially around here) that could cost big bucks. A ticket from the DOT? Finite risk. That only involves ME, not a customer. Apples and oranges.

Here is my new contract clause:

Note on Irrigation Systems: White L&G is not responsible for sprinkler head damage unless it is observed during maintenance operations. Sprinkler heads age and get weathered, become brittle and can be broken simply by stepping on one. Our heaviest equipment weighs less than 125 pounds per wheel, and we do not make turns on sprinkler heads. If we knowingly damage one, we accept full responsibility for repairs and this includes faulty heads that failed to retract. If we broke it weíll fix it. If we didnít we wonít.

Not exactly legal terms.... LOL

jameson
06-14-2009, 10:43 PM
You can justify it all you want, but at the end of the day it is wrong.

Sheesh! You'd think that Moses himself gave a command!

And I'm not justifying my part, as my actions, given the same scenario wouldn't be in need of it.

I admire the boyscoutishness some of you wish to model, but at the end of the day, expecting some form stamped, shuffled and filed by a gov't apparatchik (over a $4.00 pop-up), I'd still have done nothing wrong.

Frontier-Lawn
06-15-2009, 12:55 AM
Why can't you replace the heads you break yourself? Do you really need to be a liscenced plumber to unscrew an old head and replace it with a new one. No one will ever cause you trouble over that. I know about a liscence for installations but everybody out east carries heads on the truck and just replaces them.

its so the new Governor of NY can have a paycheck :laugh::laugh::laugh:

AFD
06-15-2009, 01:09 AM
I'm glad I live in a small town. Just fix them and go on.

humble1
06-28-2009, 01:53 AM
I did a few repairs last year on some shallow irrigation systems. In my contract this year for fall aeration it will read something along the lines of the customer is responcible for marking out all sprinkler heads. Because aeration pulls a plug out of the subsurface up tp 3" in depth we cant be held responcible for any subsurface obstruction that wasnt installed to code. This is like asking the plumber to repair and paint the sheetrock wall because he had to smash a hole in the wall to reapair the leaky pipe.

topsites
06-28-2009, 03:22 AM
I'm glad I live in a small town. Just fix them and go on.

I know right, next thing you know they'll tell us we need a license to post here.

The question still is this...
What KIND of a license do you need to install a dang riser?
Now they can't tell us that :p

Stillwater
06-28-2009, 04:20 AM
[QUOTE=Whitey4;3041128]
How do you folks handle such issues? My concern was that the old Belgian block borders were starting to fall apart... was that the next thing she would blame on me and want me to pay for?QUOTE]

How do I handle it,.... thats easy.... anything I damage on my customers property I take responsibility for it 100% without question. If you called the cable company to have a additional outlet installed in your house and he drilled into a electrical line. would you expect the cable company to rectify the issue or would you be willing to pay for 1/2 the damage.

Your unwillingness to install a 24 cent union in the irrigation line for what ever reason is just plain silly and you deserve the bill, on the dollar discrepancy.... I would have came up with a justification for the extra weekly dollar in a nano second that would have more than satisfied her.

Why do you feel you are not responsible for damaging the line? if it is because it was only 2 inches deep? hell I would be embarrassed to use that excuse.

Whitey4
06-28-2009, 03:37 PM
[QUOTE=Whitey4;3041128]
How do you folks handle such issues? My concern was that the old Belgian block borders were starting to fall apart... was that the next thing she would blame on me and want me to pay for?QUOTE]

How do I handle it,.... thats easy.... anything I damage on my customers property I take responsibility for it 100% without question. If you called the cable company to have a additional outlet installed in your house and he drilled into a electrical line. would you expect the cable company to rectify the issue or would you be willing to pay for 1/2 the damage.

Your unwillingness to install a 24 cent union in the irrigation line for what ever reason is just plain silly and you deserve the bill, on the dollar discrepancy.... I would have came up with a justification for the extra weekly dollar in a nano second that would have more than satisfied her.

Why do you feel you are not responsible for damaging the line? if it is because it was only 2 inches deep? hell I would be embarrassed to use that excuse.

Slow down there big guy, you have just about every fact wrong.

I agreed right up front to pay for the repairs. First bonehead comment of yours done. Secondly, I am NOT licensed to do ANY wotk on irrigation systems, one must have a plumbers license here. If I were willing to do unlicensed work, life would be easier and less expensive. Bonehead comment number 2 dealt with. Despite having told the customer that the damage was due to a sub-code installation, I would pay anyway. Bonehead comment number 3 answered.

The issue here is being held resposible for repairs required that were not caused by any action on my part. You seem to suggest I should pay for an irrigation system renovation that was long overdue, and just because I mow the lawn, I should pay for that?

I know damned well what I break and what I did not break. This customer's belgian block driveway borders are also very old, and falling into decline. I do NOT run my machine over them, but that might be the next thing this customer thinks I should pay for.

If I break it, I pay for it. If I didn't, I won't. You suggest I should pay for every single thing that needs repairs? Boneheaded comments.

Stillwater
06-28-2009, 05:52 PM
I guess whitey thinks I am a bonehead....

Whitey4
06-28-2009, 06:39 PM
I guess whitey thinks I am a bonehead....

Nope... actually, I have a fairly high degree of respect for you, and generally, your posts are spot on. Having said that... you failed to read what happened here, and made some boneheaded comments...

I direct my "boneheaded" rhetoric at your last post and said boneheaded comments, but not at you specifically or in general, just your commentary on this particular situation.

Sir, I do not believe you are a bonehead, and would hold that truth for at least 2 minutes under water boarding questioning. :)

THC
06-28-2009, 08:18 PM
I can see a law stating that you can't CHARGE for the service but if you're doing it for free because you broke it (or not) then I agree with the guy that thinks you're a boy scout. :laugh:

And if you really mowed her lawn and didn't charge you're also a sucker. If anyone ever gave me an outrageous bill for bs, I'd tell them to sue me. That's what courts are for. One time I got sued for $700 and after 20 minutes in court I only had to pay $100.

Whitey4
06-28-2009, 08:52 PM
I can see a law stating that you can't CHARGE for the service but if you're doing it for free because you broke it (or not) then I agree with the guy that thinks you're a boy scout. :laugh:

And if you really mowed her lawn and didn't charge you're also a sucker. If anyone ever gave me an outrageous bill for bs, I'd tell them to sue me. That's what courts are for. One time I got sued for $700 and after 20 minutes in court I only had to pay $100.

I've never been sued, and I won't be either. A boy scout? Let me be an Eagle scout, and run my company as I see fit. You don't mind wasting a half day traveling to court and paying $100 dollars, and call that a victory, fine. You shouldn't have F'd something up in the first palce! :laugh:

Stillwater
06-28-2009, 09:41 PM
Nope... actually, I have a fairly high degree of respect for you, and generally, your posts are spot on. Having said that... you failed to read what happened here, and made some boneheaded comments...

I direct my "boneheaded" rhetoric at your last post and said boneheaded comments, but not at you specifically or in general, just your commentary on this particular situation.

Sir, I do not believe you are a bonehead, and would hold that truth for at least 2 minutes under water boarding questioning. :)

Thanks Whitey! 2 minutes is a eternity waterboarding!

THC
06-29-2009, 12:29 AM
I've never been sued, and I won't be either. A boy scout? Let me be an Eagle scout, and run my company as I see fit. You don't mind wasting a half day traveling to court and paying $100 dollars, and call that a victory, fine. You shouldn't have F'd something up in the first palce! :laugh:

Are you admitting that YOU screwed up or assuming I did?

I didn't btw, I was rented an apartment where the previous owner had lots of pets that pissed all over the carpet. Carpet was cleaned when I viewed and all the windows were open, when I moved in and closed the windows the smell came up. City inspector said that the carpet had to be pulled and and something done to the wood underneath. I refused rent and moved out and actually won in court against claims against me.

If I was a boy scout like you, I would have paid first month, last month and gave them double my damage deposit for troubling them so much. You'd call that a victory? That's surrendering.*trucewhiteflag*

Yes I would have gone to court if faced with your situation, I would have ever filed a counter claim. It's not the money, or the time... can you guess what it's really about?