PDA

View Full Version : straight lines?

laxative
06-14-2009, 01:18 AM
Everything I cut is junk. Utility cuts on foreclosures for banks or city. No need to make things look straight or nice for anyone, and doing so would be a waste of time.

Anyway, my own yard has a rectangular flat 1 acre back yard I've been experimenting with. Point is, I can't drive straight to save my life. Run a couple Exmark WBs, and an older Great Dane WB. All are hydro. Why can't I drive straight? Is there some stupid trick I don't know? Can pull maybe 2 straight lines by picking an object at the far end of the yard and concentrating on it, and going slow. But I lose patience and speed up and look down and the lines go crazy.

I've seen some of the ******s you guys hire, and they can drive straight at full speed fresh out of GED classes. Why can't I? Been cutting 40+ per year for several years so it can't just be practice. Why do I suck?

MileHigh
06-14-2009, 01:24 AM
40 years and cant operate a mower in a straight line?

I don't know what to tell you other that you can't teach a old dog new tricks.

laxative
06-14-2009, 01:31 AM
40 years and cant operate a mower in a straight line?

I don't know what to tell you other that you can't teach a old dog new tricks.

40+ yards for 6-7 years. I'm not THAT old. Just maybe ******ed.

siclmn
06-14-2009, 01:37 AM
When you start each row look way ahead at the end of the row and aim for where you are going. Don't look just a few feet ahead. It's called looking through the turn in motorcycling and driving.

WVDpoker
06-14-2009, 01:48 AM
once you get a set of straight lines, use them again so you can see the pattern each time you mow. I use two to three patterns each season,

laxative
06-14-2009, 01:49 AM
On every row, eh? Do that for the first couple, but then I chicken out and think I'm going to run over something.

Allens LawnCare
06-14-2009, 02:56 AM
When you start each row look way ahead at the end of the row and aim for where you are going. Don't look just a few feet ahead. It's called looking through the turn in motorcycling and driving.

I'm sure no real advice is needed here!!! Can't help anyone with an internet attitude.........Those ******s that people hire were hired because they aren't ******ed......as you mentioned, they can, cut a straight line

greenred
06-14-2009, 05:08 AM
When it comes to stripes I work very carefully to make my first pass as straight as possible then I find I can go much faster on the next stripes by using the last as a guide as I go across the yard.

Sammy
06-14-2009, 06:27 AM
Maybe 'cause your a Buckeye ?:usflag: :drinkup: :rolleyes:

xtreem3d
06-14-2009, 06:44 AM
circle your perimeter once or twice to give your mower room to turnaround then always start making your first line , the shortest line. it easier to make a straight 10 foot line than a straight 50 foot line.once you have your first "reference" line i tell my guys to use the front caster wheel as a guide to run along the next line using a little overlap. as your making your next line your not looking all the way across the property but just ahead of the front wheel but not directly at the wheel...sort of like looking 20 feet in front of you but "periferally"(sp) keeping an eye on the front wheel as a your guide. you will envariably hit holes dips ect that will get you a slight wiggle in your line but it's important on the next line to correct for this and get back to straight. when fixing a wiggle you may have to look ahead , not at the caster wheel, to know when to correct so you don't start following a wiggly line because it will only get exaggerated as you go. remember, start with the shortest line first.
steve

FYS777
06-14-2009, 08:51 AM
circle your perimeter once or twice to give your mower room to turnaround then always start making your first line , the shortest line. it easier to make a straight 10 foot line than a straight 50 foot line.once you have your first "reference" line i tell my guys to use the front caster wheel as a guide to run along the next line using a little overlap. as your making your next line your not looking all the way across the property but just ahead of the front wheel but not directly at the wheel...sort of like looking 20 feet in front of you but "periferally"(sp) keeping an eye on the front wheel as a your guide. you will envariably hit holes dips ect that will get you a slight wiggle in your line but it's important on the next line to correct for this and get back to straight. when fixing a wiggle you may have to look ahead , not at the caster wheel, to know when to correct so you don't start following a wiggly line because it will only get exaggerated as you go. remember, start with the shortest line first.
steve

ditto what you said

ALC-GregH
06-14-2009, 09:13 AM
I find going slow causes most of the wiggles in the straight line. If I'm cutting slow, the lines tend to move side to side a lot. If I get started and just speed up some, it smooths right out. When it's time to turn around, when I look at the line just cut, if it's curved, I'll try to guess how much it is off and compensate for it on the next pass.

xtreem3d
06-14-2009, 04:32 PM
agree...going slow is harder
steve

peahlybros.
06-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Ya slow is tougher.... And slow.... I agree with above, just continue to straighten you lines until you have it straight, should only take 1 or 2 passes, then just follow that line. How do you have 40+ accounts and can't mow in a straight line... I would kill for that many accounts and My lines are straight as an arrow.

STIHL GUY
06-14-2009, 10:24 PM
all you need is one strait line and then line up the mower to the edge of that for the rest of the yard

vincent1
06-14-2009, 10:28 PM
time to trade your mower for a welder

mississippiturf
06-14-2009, 10:44 PM
Perhaps its time to invent a lazer beam that mounts to the mower and a reflector that sets up on the opposite side of the yard for making that first "perfect" line. If the beam wanders off the reflector a shock is sent through the seat to alert the driver that he/she has veered off the straight line. :) :hammerhead: