PDA

View Full Version : Who's your point of contact? The husband or the wife?

HOOLIE
06-14-2009, 01:57 AM
Interesting, I was looking over my customer base and about 65% of the time, I'm dealing with the lady of the house vs. the man. Then I went back and checked out cancellations over the past few years and it's the opposite...when the husband is the 'customer' it seems like they cancel service more than if the wife is the 'customer'

I tend to think, the wife has less interest in how the lawn actually looks. They just want their husband out on the weekend working on the lawn, when she could be dragging him off to Bed, Bath and Beyond :laugh: Or maybe there's some other explanation.

Anybody else with similar numbers?

topsites
06-14-2009, 02:29 AM
I never looked into this specifically but I have found similar oddities in terms of percentages,
not so much husband and wife stuff but other things, there does appear to be something to it
seeing how we know the numbers don't lie, still I wouldn't count on it being set in concrete.

Peace out

greenred
06-14-2009, 05:04 AM
The majority of my customers were residential. I dealt with the wives almost exclusively and on my commercial accounts I dealt mainly with female managers.

tacoma200
06-14-2009, 05:49 AM
The majority of my customers were residential. I dealt with the wives almost exclusively and on my commercial accounts I dealt mainly with female managers.

A lady's man huh........

greenred
06-14-2009, 05:56 AM
A lady's man huh........
:weightlifter:

Richard Martin
06-14-2009, 07:41 AM
My non business owning customers are female a huge percetage of the time. The business owning customers tend to be men about 90% of the time. I have quite a few of those. Strangely enough it worked out this way in MD too. My buddy that lives in MD has hardly any business owning customers and most of his are women.

It's strange how some people gravitate towards certain classes of people.

flyboy
06-14-2009, 08:32 AM
:weightlifter:

Funny!

I think if you have a lot of residentials that you are going to be dealing with the lady of the house more often because the man is out working (old stereotype I know). I deal with ladies a lot more than men. The pay is the same, but those fringe benefits...........:weightlifter:

:dizzy:

Think Green
06-14-2009, 10:38 AM
I picked up a new trimming customer this spring. She and her husband both are professor's at our local university. After finding out that they are biology and science teachers, I quickly became close to their knowledge. Anyway, the wife is the one who called up for her shrubbery and fert work. The first phase of their large job was done first.......of course, and when I submitted a bill her husband's name was first in the phone book. When she recieved the bill, the check was paid by her and a little note was attached to the check......................... It said--" Mr. Thompson, I am the one whom called for your recommended services by our Surgeon friends, so please on phase 2 to invoice the cost out in my name....ONLY!" After phase 2 was complete, I humbly told her that it wasn't an idea of who was in charge, it was merely a professional thing of getting the name from the phone book. She laughed and said, " Her husband only teaches marine biology and I teach hort. related biology". "This lawn and shrubbery belongs to me.................he doesn't care about the lawn..!!!" Point taken--butt chewing accepted!
So, usually we deal with the person who calls us. Whether it be male or female, whomever writes out the check is who we talk to. Most of the time it is the wife that we inform on things. It is not a sexist world anymore.....women have significant power of purchase and contract. When it comes to major work and contracts are conserned, both signatures are required on the bottom lines.........if it applies!

STIHL GUY
06-14-2009, 11:09 AM
i deal with the wives most of ther time as well

tallimeca
06-14-2009, 12:43 PM
The best is the husband books service. You call and ask for him and he's not there. The wife asks who's calling and tells you sternly that you can deal with her.....

Then you explain the whole situation to only have her tell you......let me have my husband call you back....... WHAT!!!!

Or........

The wife calls you and the husband is in the back yelling trying to tell her what to tell you or ask you. JUST PUT HIM ON THE DAMN PHONE!!!

W.L.M.
06-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Woman 90% of the time, i attribute it to the man feeling somewhat embarrassed in admitting he cannot take care of his own property. Maybe I am wrong and the woman just runs the house and finances.

Grass Happens
06-14-2009, 12:50 PM
Amen Tallimeca. That's why I like email for certain situations, but for new customers, it's like walking on egg shells. My percentage is slightly skewed towards men, but I do have a few single women customers that have said they like the way I deal with/treat them. (No double entendre here!) I attribute that to being raised by my mom and seeing how shitty she was treated because so was a "stupid woman".

Kelly's Landscaping
06-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Almost always women here and when it is a man then seem to be 30-50 and make hundreds of thousands a year and can't be bothered. Or they tend to be seniors but unlike the female seniors the men tend to wait till they are in there 80s to call some one to mow their lawns. Gota love that pride they wait till they can not walk anymore.

greenred
06-14-2009, 07:32 PM
Woman 90% of the time, i attribute it to the man feeling somewhat embarrassed in admitting he cannot take care of his own property. Maybe I am wrong and the woman just runs the house and finances.

I always got the impression from the wives I dealt with that they generally wore the pants in the family or were at least more assertive then most wives when it came to things traditionally taken care of by the husband.

brucec32
06-14-2009, 07:43 PM

I tend to agree with this. Not all, but some men seem to have a little bit of an attitude when it comes to letting someone else do the lawn. With some in the past I got the impression it was acting out to try to show dominance when they felt a little sissified not being able to handle the lawn. Let's face it, most guys who are in jobs doing "manly" stuff will probably cut it themselves(I have seen only one exception to that) as it's not really that big a chore to do one lawn a week. The ones who sometimes "act up" a little are white collar and maybe feeling a little metrosexual and want to counteract that.

When there are both a man and a woman in the household I seem to deal with them about 50/50, but then the nature of my business is that I don't have much contact with them once they sign up. Which is great. But overall there are no single men customers and several single women so it's probably 75
% women.

1993lx172
06-14-2009, 08:01 PM
I don't care who I deal with, as long as their check is in my mail box at the start of the next month I don't care who signed the check or what their gender is.