PDA

View Full Version : Tricks to successful advertisement?

stevenf
06-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Really looking to build my business and go full time next year. I know its late in the season but any new customers would be next years clients also.
Ive tried road signs and I am trying fliers for the second year. They really don't work that well. I read about people on here that get A LOT of mulching jobs. What type of advertising do you do for this type of work? Should I start putting ads in the newspaper? What are some tips to keep my phone ringing?

TurfTechTN
06-14-2009, 11:47 AM
Just google BNI and see if there is a group that meets near you. I am a part of this organization and most of my business come from them. Awesome word of mouth marketing! If you need help I will be happy to get you more info or have someone contact you. I have tried postcards, flyers and other things with little success so, I understand your frustration. I promise if you get involved and give it some effort you will have a great return on your investment!

Horticulture Goddess
07-11-2009, 05:36 PM
I was approached by BNI in my area and wasnt sure that it was worth the investment. I have spent a mint on advertising my 1st season and wonder if this would've been a better investment. Thanks for the info.

BadRancher
07-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Really looking to build my business and go full time next year. I know its late in the season but any new customers would be next years clients also.
Ive tried road signs and I am trying fliers for the second year. They really don't work that well. I read about people on here that get A LOT of mulching jobs. What type of advertising do you do for this type of work? Should I start putting ads in the newspaper? What are some tips to keep my phone ringing?

On my postcards I put bed maintenance and extereme lawn and bed renewal. I have gotten all but one of my clean ups and mulch jobs from those cards. Try craigslist. I mailed my postcards. Out of all the flyers I put out I have only gotten one call.

Bunton Guy
07-11-2009, 08:42 PM
I get less than .5% return on flyers. Mine are professionally made and tons of people admit it catches their eyes.

Can't figure out for the life of me why when I put out 10,000 flyers why I might only get 7-10 calls back AT the most!

door hangers took me a LONG time to put out 1000 and I never got any calls back.

Yellowpages & yellow book was very expensive for me. I toughed it out for 2 years and never gained any decent clients...just a bunch of price checkers.

Coupon mailers was a big waste of money for us. We got two projects...can't remember how many was sent out but we had $1,200 into the coupon company and got 2 projects that grossed 600-700 total.

Advertisment works different in each area...its almost better to ask guys in your area what has worked for them. Most will say word of mouth is good...my clients are very tight lipped. They don't bragg about much other than their fancy cars and how many sq. feet their additions to their vacation homes are.

TurfTechTN
07-11-2009, 11:47 PM
I was approached by BNI in my area and wasnt sure that it was worth the investment. I have spent a mint on advertising my 1st season and wonder if this would've been a better investment. Thanks for the info.

I was a BNI member when I owned a sign business and BNI was a tremendous help. It had been about 5 years since I was part of the organization and thought it may work just as well with lawn care. Most of my clients of late have been a direct result of my efforts in BNI.
I have tried professionaly designed/printed postcards myself...large investment very poor results. Statistics for post card programs are historically low. A properly written and delivered postcard program will yield a 1 or 2 percent reply rate at best. That's maybe 10-20 replies, not all customers, per thousand pieces delivered at best. The reality is more like 1/2 of a percent. Seems like flyers and door hangers are not much better, I know I don't like getting that stuff at my house either.
My advice is to talk to as many people as possible be pleasant, don't be pushy, smile, be genuine. Let folks know that you have started this new business and that you could really use thier help. Don't ask them if they need someone to mow thier lawn, more than likely they will say no thanks. Do this instead, Ask " Who do you know" questions. Like, who do you know that travels alot and may need some help with thier lawn? or Do you know any seniors that are no longer able to do the lawn work anymore. Or, who do you know that just got married, or bought a new house or, got divorced or, works long hours. You will get more help and accounts when you ask the right questions. Do great work and be dependable. When you get a new account and they are happy with your work ask them the same question/s. People like to help just ask.
You can visit any BNI group twice before you would need to make a decision to join. Many times there is more than one in your area check 'em all out if you can and see which one may be the best fit for you and your business. Let me know if you need help finding a group or more info.

rnd
07-15-2009, 12:18 PM
Go to RNDSIGNS.COM (http://rndsigns.com)to see hundreds of print advertising ideas from lawn and landscape companys from all over the U.S. Request a FREE marketing handbook.

tinman
07-17-2009, 10:49 PM
Try several ad methods & track what works. Doing is the best lesson. Each city or county or state will yield different results from advertising. Good luck. Make more contacts. That is key to growing any business

Thebottomline
07-19-2009, 07:02 PM
And your going to have to spend money.

Ever heard... you get what you pay for?

RodSpots
08-02-2009, 04:18 PM
The message is much more important than the medium (print, radio, direct mail) or even the target demographic. As Roy Williams put it, "Say the right thing and it's amazing how many people suddenly become the 'right' prospects."

If your offer isn't strong, especially in today's challenging economy, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. (One simple test: would YOU be excited to receive and use your offer, if YOU were the client?)

Telling people how wonderful you are may make you feel good, but it doesn't go very far toward winning anyone's business.

Good advertising is about your customer, not about you.

The message is everything.

Cordially,

Rod Schwartz
Pullman, WA
Facebook | LinkedIN | Twitter (RodSpots)

coolluv
08-02-2009, 11:01 PM
Tricks to successful advertisements. Go take a picture of an illegal immigrant and put it on your door hangers, flyer's whatever. Then offer prices that are half of the going rate in your area and you will have more work than you know what to do with. This only works if your not paying taxes and insurance and are like most out there.

Dave...