PDA

View Full Version : Sarlo mowers? dependable or not?

tr2
06-14-2009, 12:52 PM
As posted on another thread, I am looking for a gas powered push mower with an overhanging deck for close trimming around deeply trenched flower beds. A member sent me a link to Sarlo Mowers suggesting this mower...
SARLO 621-2
Considering this line is manufactured in Florida, I am wondering if any of our southern members have experience with this brand. Tell me your experiences with this line of equipment

Greg78
06-14-2009, 01:09 PM
I've never used one. I see them all over. My uncle has one and loves it. Our Exmark dealer is also the Sarlo dealer. They look like nice units.

xtreem3d
06-14-2009, 05:25 PM
i have one that is a 30" 11hp (i think) cut. it cuts good , has 3 forward speeds, big rear tire/wheel combo so it rolls easy..just a fwiw ,
i'm going to sell it because it's too heavy to lift onto terraces at a condo i cut, sell for 400.00...not sure but new they may be 1700
steve

khukman
07-15-2009, 03:59 PM
I have used a 10+ year old Sarlo 24" 6 HP mower on 6-10 lawns a week for the last year. I picked it up on Craigslist for $75, stripped and painted it, and have just used it and used it. It is a hoss! It fell off the back of my van (oops, put that strap THROUGH the frame, not around it...) at about 20MPH, I watched it do flips, etc. in my side-view mirror. I was sure that it would be toast, but all that happened was one of the tires came off the rim, and the little plastic cap on top of the pull-start came off. I pushed the tire back on, snapped the cap back on, pulled it twice, and it fired right up!

Although it is heavy, and not self-propelled (my model that is), once you get it rolling, it is very easy to push. Because of the weight-distribution, it turns very easily with minimal effort.

The cut is supreme, it cuts tall, thick grass like it has no business, and I'm looking for another to replace my Craptsman back-up mower. I would highly recommend these mowers to anyone. The folks at the factory are quick to help with parts look-ups, etc., and it's American made! What else could you want?

Rob

lifetree
07-15-2009, 09:03 PM
I have used a 10+ year old Sarlo 24" 6 HP mower on 6-10 lawns a week for the last year. I picked it up on Craigslist for $75, stripped and painted it, and have just used it and used it. It is a hoss! It fell off the back of my van (oops, put that strap THROUGH the frame, not around it...) at about 20MPH, I watched it do flips, etc. in my side-view mirror. I was sure that it would be toast, but all that happened was one of the tires came off the rim, and the little plastic cap on top of the pull-start came off. I pushed the tire back on, snapped the cap back on, pulled it twice, and it fired right up!

Although it is heavy, and not self-propelled (my model that is), once you get it rolling, it is very easy to push. Because of the weight-distribution, it turns very easily with minimal effort.

The cut is supreme, it cuts tall, thick grass like it has no business, and I'm looking for another to replace my Craptsman back-up mower. I would highly recommend these mowers to anyone. The folks at the factory are quick to help with parts look-ups, etc., and it's American made! What else could you want?

Rob

Sounds like a very satisfied customer ... this is the best review I've seen for Sarlo mowers here on LS !!

mpinola
08-12-2011, 03:40 AM
I had an older Sarlo 21" push mower. Only mower of that size I have ever seen with steer spoked high-wheels on the back with fully pneumatic tires! Easiest pushing mower EVER. Not only that, but it is built with a tube steel chassis which the deck is attached to. Built like an old body of frame car!! Absolutely indestructable and cut ANYTHING like a champ. All mowers should be built so well. I would recomend one to anyone, anytime.

khukman
08-12-2011, 08:30 AM
Here we are a few years down the road. I am still using the same Sarlo that I bragged about before. I just got it out of the shop for its "Spring" tune-up". I have a great guy that will sharpen the blade, change the air filter, oil and fuel lines, clean/re-build the carb and give it the once-over for $29.99! It had started to bog down in the tall stuff, and was getting hard to start.

After its little refresher, it starts on one pull again (maybe 2), and yesterday I cut through (at little reduced speed) the tall grass (about 18") that creeps into my yard from the woods with hardly any bogging at all. Yes, I did say 18" tall!!! This is still the most amazing mower that I have ever used or owned. Outside of routine maintenance, it has required nothing of me, and gives me anything that I ask of it!

Still satisfied,

Rob

FastMan
08-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Does the 30 inch have a cutting height adjustment, and how?

xtreem3d
08-28-2011, 03:00 PM
spacers on the front yokes...there may be a way to unblot the rear frame and adjust that way..i just don't remember. I think the spacers may have been about 1/2 inch each,
Steve

FastMan
08-28-2011, 03:06 PM
Thanks, Steve.