PDA

View Full Version : Life in Colorado

FastMan
06-14-2009, 04:39 PM
For you guys who are feeling the heat at work these days, here's a visual for you. I was cutting grass today, and my string trimmer was throwing snow on me as I trimmed up to left over foot deep piles from last nights snow fall.

After landscaping back East for many years, this was a new one for me mid June. We ain't in Kansas anymore, Toto!

tacoma200
06-14-2009, 10:49 PM
It sure looks beautiful up there. I've been through Colorado but never got to see Pike Peak. I understand you had a bad drought there a while back?

FastMan
06-15-2009, 12:20 AM
It is beautiful here, Tacoma. I have to pinch myself everyday, I feel so lucky to live here. I love the mountains. Pikes Peak looms large in all it's splendor, right out the picture window of our house. I've been out here 3 years. When we first arrived Colorado was in the midst of a multi year drought. Since then that major drought has broken. We've had two very wet years and a dry one. This year it's quite wet, reenforcing that desire I had for the volocity deck.

Thing is, even with the rain, the air is so dry the grass drys out quickly once it stops, and there's hardly ever any dew on the grass in the morning. So while it would be nice, the volocity may not be as much of a necessity as in the East. I struggled through Buffalo weather doing landscaping for 20 years, so I have a good handle on the contrast.

tacoma200
06-15-2009, 01:29 AM
It is beautiful here, Tacoma. I have to pinch myself everyday, I feel so lucky to live here. I love the mountains. Pikes Peak looms large in all it's splendor, right out the picture window of our house. I've been out here 3 years. When we first arrived Colorado was in the midst of a multi year drought. Since then that major drought has broken. We've had two very wet years and a dry one. This year it's quite wet, reenforcing that desire I had for the volocity deck.

Thing is, even with the rain, the air is so dry the grass drys out quickly once it stops, and there's hardly ever any dew on the grass in the morning. So while it would be nice, the volocity may not be as much of a necessity as in the East. I struggled through Buffalo weather doing landscaping for 20 years, so I have a good handle on the contrast.

Oh man, Buffalo! I used to drive a truck and got a sick feeling every time they sent me to the North East. Met some great people but from Pennsylvania, New Jersey area all the way to Maine was a nightmare in a big truck. At least Buffalo was flat, but the interstate going to Albany (90?) cost a fortune. New York and New England have some beautiful places but getting there was a nightmare for me. And Winter, love those lake effect snows. I bet you do love Colorado.

KCfireman
06-15-2009, 01:50 AM
Hey I like Kansas!

tacoma200
06-15-2009, 01:55 AM
Hey I like Kansas!

Been there too. Corn, grass, corn, grass, grass, corn, barn, farm house, corn. That will save some of you a trip. :laugh:

Just joking KCfireman.:)

KCfireman
06-15-2009, 01:59 AM
Been there too. Corn, grass, corn, grass, grass, corn, barn, farm house, corn. That will save some of you a trip. :laugh:

Just joking KCfireman.:)It's a good thing I live in Kansas City. I do like goin out to western kansas. Beautiful country out there.

tacoma200
06-15-2009, 02:16 AM
It's a good thing I live in Kansas City. I do like goin out to western kansas. Beautiful country out there.

Yes it is, I love the plains. Just joking with you there. I think I saw where Custard had been, lots of pheasants, big farms, etc. That is one thing I liked about driving a truck a few years. I really appreciated how beautiful this country is, and met lots of nice people. I kept waiting to meet a rude person in NY state or NYC but actually they were great also. I can remember being on some isolated road out west and just shutting the truck off on the shoulder of the road. No lights, no sounds, just a big sky full of stars. It doesn't get any better than that, for me anyway. Saw a few elk and antelope also, New Mexico I think. Hoover Dam, Las Vegas, Death Valley, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, etc it's all beautiful in it's own way.

KCfireman
06-15-2009, 02:23 AM
Yes it is, I love the plains. Just joking with you there. I think I saw where Custard had been, lots of pheasants, big farms, etc. That is one thing I liked about driving a truck a few years. I really appreciated how beautiful this country is, and met lots of nice people. I kept waiting to meet a rude person in NY state or NYC but actually they were great also. I can remember being on some isolated road out west and just shutting the truck off on the shoulder of the road. No lights, no sounds, just a big sky full of stars. It doesn't get any better than that, for me anyway. Saw a few elk and antelope also, New Mexico I think. Hoover Dam, Las Vegas, Death Valley, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, etc it's all beautiful in it's own way.I love to go storm spotting in central kansas. You can't believe the size of these t-storms that form out there.

FastMan
06-15-2009, 02:52 AM
Oh man, Buffalo! I used to drive a truck and got a sick feeling every time they sent me to the North East. Met some great people but from Pennsylvania, New Jersey area all the way to Maine was a nightmare in a big truck. At least Buffalo was flat, but the interstate going to Albany (90?) cost a fortune. New York and New England have some beautiful places but getting there was a nightmare for me. And Winter, love those lake effect snows. I bet you do love Colorado.

Yep, your memory was correct,,, the thruway from Buffalo to Albany was 90.

I was on that thing every weekend during the winter, taking the team to ski races. 81 from Syracuse to Watertown was the worst. Frequent whiteouts as the storms came off the lake. Don't miss those drives, with a van full of racers under my guard.

It was treacherous for truckers too, those roads. Over the years I saw more jackknifed trucks off the road than I can count. Even had one going sideways down the highway right in front of me, until it finally headed off the road and flipped. I empathize with your hesitation back then to do that assignment.

The winters out here seem tropical in comparison. It's a well kept secret out here how mild they are on the front range. Yep, I'm glad to be out here!

FastMan
06-15-2009, 03:07 AM
Hey I like Kansas!

KC, I meet quite a few people from Kansas in the winter who come to play in my mountains. Every place has its virtues, and there's no universal Utopia,,, just differences in how individuals envision it.

Richard Martin
06-15-2009, 06:27 AM

That's kinda like Eastern Carolina except it's Corn, grass, pine trees, grass, tobacco, corn, cotton, farm, cotton.

We have some old barns left but most of them are falling down. Barn builders need not apply around here.

Colorado sounds like a nice place to visit in the summer. It's too cold in the winter for me.

MJB
06-15-2009, 09:20 AM
I love to go storm spotting in central kansas. You can't believe the size of these t-storms that form out there.

I did too. I grew up in western Kansas off interstate 70. Tornado alley, loved to watch the storms. Seen many a tornado pass by our house, missed us everytime, thankfully.

MJB
06-15-2009, 09:25 AM
For you guys who are feeling the heat at work these days, here's a visual for you. I was cutting grass today, and my string trimmer was throwing snow on me as I trimmed up to left over foot deep piles from last nights snow fall.

After landscaping back East for many years, this was a new one for me mid June. We ain't in Kansas anymore, Toto!

I used to live in Colorado Springs and we would get a freak snow storm every June. Love Colorado, but back then early 80's the economy got bad and pushed me on down the road.

Lawn City
06-15-2009, 01:24 PM
We had a heat index of 110 Saturday in DFW. I'm surprised I didn't have a heat stroke. I've never felt anything like that...humidity is a killer.

topsites
06-15-2009, 01:39 PM
Been there too. Corn, grass, corn, grass, grass, corn, barn, farm house, corn. That will save some of you a trip. :laugh

That is so not true, you know darn well the entire landscape consists of rolling hills, too.
And don't forget the derricks, thou I do admit much West of Missouri those start to get sparse,
then evidently you missed the Buffalo herd thou I also admit those are few and far in between.

You gotta love that one town thou, Kanorado, I also recall at least two rest stops and several fuel stations.

tacoma200
06-15-2009, 02:26 PM
That is so not true, you know darn well the entire landscape consists of rolling hills, too.
And don't forget the derricks, thou I do admit much West of Missouri those start to get sparse,
then evidently you missed the Buffalo herd thou I also admit those are few and far in between.

You gotta love that one town thou, Kanorado, I also recall at least two rest stops and several fuel stations.

I was just teasing KCfireman... It's not very exciting here.
Grass, forest, grass, horses, cows, tobbaco, lake, field, river, forest, mountain, cypress swamp, cave, soybeans, corn, lake, out house, shack, line at the wefare office, strip mine. That wraps up a trip across the state.