PDA

View Full Version : BAD Check from customer last week???

Okielawman28
06-14-2009, 05:42 PM
I got a bad check from one of my regulars that I picked up a little earlier in the year.

He wrote me a check last week and it came back through my bank as a closed account.

I want to approach this with tact, but I am kinda peeved. I always do a little extra for them and they always pay me a little extra. But I am kinda irritated about the check coming from a closed account.

I mean come on, if your account is closed you have to know, duh dont write checks on it. I think I am just going to tell them to pay me in cash from now on or get some one else to do their lawn. Any advise?? I also think they should pay me what my bank charged me also?

Chris

Hell on Blades
06-14-2009, 05:58 PM
Depends on the situation. He may have closed the account immediately after writing the check due to a theft or lost book. See what he says before dropping him -- the good ones are too hard to come by.

W.L.M.
06-14-2009, 05:59 PM
I would ask them nicely what happened. Might be a reason, banks screw up all the time so it may not be your customers fault.

kb9nvh
06-14-2009, 06:05 PM
Yep, I would let it ride and not let it get to you. I have renters and its about 50/50 on bad checks being bad or just cutting it close mistakes. Lots of folks live on the edge of their checking accounts and so I think bad checks are just a fact of life on the rare occasion. Now if it becomes a habit then demand payment with Money orders.

david shumaker
06-14-2009, 06:12 PM
I've only gotten 1 bad check. The customer had some kind of mixup with his account. He paid me right away after I contacted him. Anyone can make a mistake, so I would just contact him and let him know. If it was an honest mistake, you will probably get paid right away or work something out.

kaferhaus
06-14-2009, 06:19 PM
If their checkbook was stolen, the appropriate thing to do is too call everyone who you've written checks too that haven't yet cleared and let them know.

We have a "one strike" policy on bad checks UNLESS the customer called and let us know something happened before we get the check back. I'm not running a collection agency or even a billing dept (we have only a very few residentials on billing)

Even though we rarely get a bad check, it really pisses me off when we do and the customer hasn't taken the time to call us. The other thing is the customer almost always knows the check was returned unpaid before you do as they get a automated letter from their bank the day it bounces but you don't know about it until the check is physically returned to you by your bank. So even if they "wrote" it by mistake they knew several days before you that it bounced....

Toy2
06-14-2009, 06:27 PM
Someone told me in 2010 banks will do away with checks all together, everything will be debit.......heck I had my carpets cleaned yesterday, the girl called someone on her cell to confirm I gave her a "good" $240.00 check.........so some service must red flag checks as you get them......

kaferhaus
06-14-2009, 06:34 PM
Someone told me in 2010 banks will do away with checks all together, everything will be debit.......heck I had my carpets cleaned yesterday, the girl called someone on her cell to confirm I gave her a "good" $240.00 check.........so some service must red flag checks as you get them......

There are several services that will guarantee any check you take (that they approve over the phone) but they charge you for it and you have to go through a bunch of crap when you take the check (drivers license number, alt phone numbers, place of employment...) way too much of a hassle.

Okielawman28
06-14-2009, 06:35 PM
Thanks for all the imput I will keep it all in mind as I try and deal with the situation.

It is weird they are a gay couple, so it is an adventure dealing with the couple any ways, lol. They are good folks seems like and I dont judge, money is money.

It is just funny who I get to deal with when I go over there, I either get the feminine one or the manly one, it is a trip but like I said they are nice folks, and accounts are hard to get.

Anyways, I will simply go by there tomorrow on my way to class and see what the deal was. Could have been anything.

Chris
PS. I am still irritated about the whole mess

kb9nvh
06-14-2009, 06:43 PM
OK, as long as they don't try to trade you a back rub for a mow I think you'll be OK :-)

Thanks for all the imput I will keep it all in mind as I try and deal with the situation.

It is weird they are a gay couple, so it is an adventure dealing with the couple any ways, lol. They are good folks seems like and I dont judge, money is money.

It is just funny who I get to deal with when I go over there, I either get the feminine one or the manly one, it is a trip but like I said they are nice folks, and accounts are hard to get.

Anyways, I will simply go by there tomorrow on my way to class and see what the deal was. Could have been anything.

Chris
PS. I am still irritated about the whole mess

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-14-2009, 07:27 PM
Yep talk to the customer and reconcile first. If it happens again, up the ante, or drop.

BadRancher
07-08-2010, 02:50 AM
I was gonna make a thread but I found this one. A lady wrote me one and it came back a few days ago. This same woman also left me cash under the door mat and left 25 instead of 45 and said it was a mistake. I got with her on both and she said she will square it up this weekend cut. I told her she has to tighten up. What makes it so bad is it is a fairly new account. I have a feeling I may have to drop her.

MikeKle
07-08-2010, 03:02 AM
I recently had a check stopped by my bank, but the lady had warned me it may be returned, she put a hold on one check and the bank though she meant to put stops on ALL checks she had wrote that week!! So she is calling everyone trying to get it cleared up! She is trustworthy though, I was happy to see she called me about it prior to it going to the bank though, she wrote me a new check and am picking it up in the morning! She is even adding an extra $20 for the hassle, but I told her she doesnt have to do that, but she insisted, that is just the type of person she is, wish I had 50 more customers like her!

Capemay Eagle
07-08-2010, 08:55 AM
I did this a few years ago, I wrote a check for a gift and forgot all about the check and closed the account and moved to a new bank. Talk about embarrassing. This kind of stuff happens for different reasons, probably an honest mistake.

topsites
07-08-2010, 09:10 AM
Excuses, excuses, it is against the law to write a rubber check, I wouldn't go
down hard on the customer but I also have little tolerance for it.

Jay Ray
07-08-2010, 10:12 AM
I have some folks that write me checks from two different accounts at the same bank. A check was bad several years back. If one account is empty the bank is automatically supposed to cover from the other account, but they didn't. Bank mistake. New check was good.

Baytownlawncare
07-08-2010, 10:29 AM
Chase where I bank will clear the check on the spot. I know if the check is good before I leave the bank. Even depositing it in the atm will show cleared funds when I get home. Not sure how they do it so fast but pretty neat. I have yet to get a bad check.

Charles
07-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Chase where I bank will clear the check on the spot. I know if the check is good before I leave the bank. Even depositing it in the atm will show cleared funds when I get home. Not sure how they do it so fast but pretty neat. I have yet to get a bad check.

You can't do that anymore in SC. Something to do with new privacy laws. Tried it last year. Bank said no can do.
I would just take the bad check and the notice back to the customer and trade it for cash.
You screw up too many times and banks can close your account ie over draw, bad checks etc. They can also blacklist you from opening checking accounts at other banks. Banks have their own credit rating system going

jbt79
07-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Just call them and nicely say that the check was returned. It may have been an honest mistake. I had that happen a month or two ago from a good customer on a $385 check! Called them and nicely said, there was a problem with the check, and the husband paid me cash as soon as he got home. Wife had grabbed the wrong checkbook. I ended up getting a wicked case of poision Ivy off that job, hate to think what I would have done if I didnt get paid! If this bad check cost you any fees definitely pass them along to the customer, if not and they pay up right away then let it slide this one time. I still accept checks from that customer. Mistakes happen as long as they dont let it happen again.

MOturkey
07-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Never assume anything until you check with the customer. No account checks are a big no-no, legally speaking, so most of the time, getting one from someone you know and can locate, is some kind of screwup. I got my share of no-account checks when I had a retail business, but for the most part they were from people you never saw again, and had no way to track down.

ed2150
07-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Check with your customer, most likely an honest mistake. I've had customers mistakenly use an old check before; just pass on whatever fee the bank charges you and forget about it as long as they fix it right away.

If they drag their feet fixing it, that might be a clue they did it on purpose. Here in Tennessee that's a big mistake. Writing an insufficient funds check is time consuming to collect but a closed account check is considered proof of intent and is a criminal matter.....you can go right straight to the courthouse to have the arrest warrant (or criminal summons) issued.

topsites
07-08-2010, 09:15 PM
I've had customers mistakenly use an old check before.

All right, I can kind of see that.

The thing that gets me...
The customer knows before I do that the check didn't clear,
and maybe it's just me because some folks might figure that once it
bounces the ball is in my court... But I feel like it's a dropped ball,
they dropped it, and now I have to pick it up.

Oh well, as was said, best to be nice.

corey4671
08-13-2010, 07:58 PM
got one right now that was written in February. Came back as NSF. I've called the lady. No answer. Been to the house. No answer. Sent bills certified mail. She signs for it but no response. Take the check to HER bank every Friday. Account is constantly overdrawn. Finally called the sheriff's department over it and they referred me to the magistrate who informed me to notify her one last time via certified mail that she has 10 days from the date of the letter to pay up or else. If she doesn't pay then she will be arrested and be forced to pay. Worst case I've ever dealt with. It was a one time job for a spring cleanup. She paid part of the job in cash and wrote the check for the balance. I may be wrong, but a friend of mine is a cop and he told me that if the account is CLOSED then writing a check on the closed account is a felony.

Bumpmaster
08-13-2010, 08:14 PM
None sufficient funds is one thing. Writing a check on a closed account is not good.

BINKY1902
08-13-2010, 10:04 PM
I had to drop a customer last month for bad checks. Quarter million dollar home, 60k Suv, but couldn't afford the 45 bucks for lawn care.

Will P.C.
08-13-2010, 11:02 PM
I had to drop a customer last month for bad checks. Quarter million dollar home, 60k Suv, but couldn't afford the 45 bucks for lawn care.

This is pretty common where I live. People with 500,000 homes, Range Rovers, and no money for lawn care.

OP- I would assume this is a mix up. Gay white men are some of my favorite people to deal with. They do a great job with their homes and landscaping/grass, and usually have a good bit of money since they have no kids. They are effortless to up-sale since they have a genuine interest in keeping their yards looking good.
However, I do not care for their lifestyle.

knox gsl
08-14-2010, 01:28 AM
When I worked retail it was my stores policy to call the banks and verify funds on checks over $300, and this would help, but didn't catch everything.

georgiagrass
08-14-2010, 01:34 AM
Be an adult. Call your customer and tell him what happened. It should be perfectly acceptable to ask him to pay you for the bank charges.

knox gsl
08-14-2010, 01:42 AM
Be an adult. Call your customer and tell him what happened. It should be perfectly acceptable to ask him to pay you for the bank charges.

I agree, its part of being in business.

jvanvliet
08-14-2010, 09:49 AM
OK, as long as they don't try to trade you a back rub for a mow I think you'll be OK :-)

Yeah... don't let em screw you out of your money:laugh:

TheC-Master
08-14-2010, 10:09 AM
This is why I use autopay. I've only had it happen once though, two years ago. But still I like my money on time and legit.

ALC-GregH
08-14-2010, 06:09 PM
I had a HOT looking woman write me a bad check. I had gone straight to her bank to cash it. When they told me I needed to talk to the woman about it. I called and she came right over. When she got there she was talking to her husband that's a dentist. She told me she didn't realize she over drafted her account. She then goes on to tell me her husband said to transfer 5k so it doesn't keep happening! Yes that's right, she's so dizzy that she doesn't even know how much money is in her "spending" account! She gave me cash and an extra $50 for the trouble. :) When I say hot, I mean HOT woman. Always at the gym and does yoga.

soloscaperman
08-14-2010, 06:46 PM
I had a HOT looking woman write me a bad check. I had gone straight to her bank to cash it. When they told me I needed to talk to the woman about it. I called and she came right over. When she got there she was talking to her husband that's a dentist. She told me she didn't realize she over drafted her account. She then goes on to tell me her husband said to transfer 5k so it doesn't keep happening! Yes that's right, she's so dizzy that she doesn't even know how much money is in her "spending" account! She gave me cash and an extra $50 for the trouble. :) When I say hot, I mean HOT woman. Always at the gym and does yoga.

That's a trophy wife. Good only for a few things though.

yardguy28
08-14-2010, 06:50 PM
That's a trophy wife. Good only for a few things though.

you mean wives are good for something???

LouisianaLawnboy
08-14-2010, 09:40 PM
Charge him a 50.00 NSF and take the extra and go get you something that will make you feel better.