PDA

View Full Version : chainsaws

hockeyman20
06-14-2009, 05:40 PM
I am looking to buy a new chainsaw. Does anyone have recomendations on saws. Thanks.

Cuttinitclose
06-14-2009, 05:50 PM
Stihl MS 290 Farm Boss is their #1 selling saw. I recommend anything Stihl.

chub
06-14-2009, 06:04 PM
Small saw 346xp 16" bar, middle saw 372xp 20"bar, large saw 395xp whatever size bar.

Nosmo
06-14-2009, 06:15 PM
I am a Stihl chainsaw owner and not sorry for buying the 2 saws I own.

MS 250C Largest of the homeowners/occasional use saw. Uses up to an 18" bar. I use 16" on mine. Around $300.00 retail.

MS 260 Pro The beginning of the Professional Series saws. Uses up to a 20" bar. I use 18" on mine.
Around $520.00 retail.

Both of those saws weigh less than 11 lbs. not counting the bar, fuel and chain oil.

The MS 290 is a bigger saw - classified as a medium use saw and weighs 13.0 lbs not counting the bar, fuel and chain oil.

If you consider a Stihl here is a link that shows the entire line, features and cost of each saw.

http://www.stihldealer.net/categoryinfo-dealer-043131-toplvl-2-catid-2.aspx

Nosmo

FYS777
06-14-2009, 10:44 PM
I am looking to buy a new chainsaw. Does anyone have recomendations on saws. Thanks.

before recommendation, for what purpose will you be using it for? light duty, heavy , medium use?? what is your budget for a saw

mississippiturf
06-14-2009, 10:47 PM
Stihl MS 290 Farm Boss is their #1 selling saw. I recommend anything Stihl.

Ditto what he said. Next would be to learn how to sharpen the chain after it dulls. Nothing sweeter than a good saw with a sharp chain.

FYS777
06-14-2009, 11:00 PM
Ditto what he said. Next would be to learn how to sharpen the chain after it dulls. Nothing sweeter than a good saw with a sharp chain.

sthil just a name and a price tag, depends what your application is and how much yuo use it, I have a craftsman saw with 20" blade, had for 20 years still runs great and used it today, dosen't miss a beat, and haven't had to do any work on it, and i've cut a lot of wood with it.

dtelawn
06-14-2009, 11:16 PM
Your old craftsman is a far away distant cousin of the new craftsman products. They used to make good stuff. There is a reason Stihl is the best selling chainsaw .

I have run the MS 270 and loved it and recently bought the Pro 260. It costs a little more but it is an animal. I bought a Farm Boss and took it back before running an entire tank of fuel through it. VERY VERY VERY heavy and the 260 will perform much smoother.

mdlwn1
06-14-2009, 11:16 PM
I have used both. Husky's and sthil.

Sthil is obv a great saw. Seems to be a higher rpm saw. Starting is relativly easy compared to old chain saws.

The husky seems to be lighter (or feels that way) and will start on the second pull after sitting for 2 days or 2 months. The husky feels stronger at low and mid range rpms where as the sthil needs to wind up a bit.

Dont really know why, but the tree guys around here seem to use only husky and we have every brand available.

FYS777
06-14-2009, 11:29 PM
Your old craftsman is a far away distant cousin of the new craftsman products. They used to make good stuff. There is a reason Stihl is the best selling chainsaw .

I have run the MS 270 and loved it and recently bought the Pro 260. It costs a little more but it is an animal. I bought a Farm Boss and took it back before running an entire tank of fuel through it. VERY VERY VERY heavy and the 260 will perform much smoother.

I agree, still need to know what the app. is, don't need to buy a sthil or husky with the price tag if you only use it 30 minutes a week??? I like husky better though, I've run both in the logging industry, husky has been more dependable and less brake downs and repair.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-14-2009, 11:31 PM
Small saw 346xp 16" bar, middle saw 372xp 20"bar, large saw 395xp whatever size bar.

if you buy a 372 you would solve any problems you ever had. best all around saw ever made blows the 576xp out of the water they are junk sold 2 of them before i used them just becuase of hearing about the cranks going bad.

i recomend a dolmar ps5100 they are cheap dont break and use a 3/8 pitch chaing that most other 50cc saws dont use. they might have switched to 3/8th pitch now for the other saws so dont quote me on that but i would make that a think to look for. if you buy a saw get a 18 or 20 inch bar they are do it all size bars, you can drop a huge tree with a 20 inch bar and cut lots of fire wood with it too. http://www.oregonchain.com/38.htm#72LP super 70 oregon chain is also nice to have it is really hard tool steel and sharp as hell! i buy it off of ebay for cheap it is easeir to sharpen but i do that after i am done using my saws. while i am at work i will just throw a new chain on if i have a problem cutting. most guys will say that is too slow and sharpening is faster but i just hate cutting my hands up and going back to work, im not all that good at sharpening anyway.

if you can find a nice 362xp husky you cant pass it up they are a improved version of the 365 special and both of those saws are great!!! i personally use a old eager beaver 3.7cubic inch saw with a 24" bar and i must say it out cuts alot of newer pro saws i have owned!, beat my 288xp hands down everytime i raced, it made me get rid of the 288xp.

a 50cc pro saw is a good saw light and will do a big job plus wont kill you and kick back, stihl 260 pro, dolmar ps5100, husky 246xp, solo 651, etc any 50cc prosaw will probly do you fine!

Miket163
06-15-2009, 12:42 AM
what the purpose of the saw....? Modern craftman saws are not that great. I run a part time tree business w/ a buddy (we both have lawn services but do this on the side). I run an Echo CS-400 w/ an 18" bar for felling and general cutting and he uses a Stihl MS 290 w/ 18" for the same. Both are excellent for general tree service. For in tree work I would recommend an Echo CS-341 or Stihl MS200T. Also look at husky saws they are great as well.

PS if you're going to put your saw through hell do not buy an underpowered Stihl, Echo, or Husky you will be disappointed (just bc it has the "name" does not mean its great) buy one with the power and features you need. Also have a few chains on you, I recommend Stihl...but keep em sharp!

Nosmo
06-15-2009, 05:58 AM
The Sthil link was included in my original post. I included the link so he could look the entire line of saws over , possibly make a choice for his purpose and then ask for opinions of that saw.

I believe in my area which is not a logging country most of the Stihl dealers sell more MS250 saws than any others. We just don't have many professional wood cutters here -- except the tree removal people and a few firewood selling guys.
The city crew uses both Stihl and Huskie saws .But there you go again Stihl and Huskie - which saws and sizes?

Here is a link to a professional aborist website and there is a section there which discusses chainsaws .
You can get a nationwide opinion on just about any saw.

http://www.arboristsite.com/index.php

Nosmo

hockeyman20
06-15-2009, 07:08 AM
before recommendation, for what purpose will you be using it for? light duty, heavy , medium use?? what is your budget for a saw

I have $400 and will be using it for mostly light to medium work.

Nosmo
06-15-2009, 09:05 AM
Then I'd say read up on a MS250 or MS250C and see what you think. I've used mine on small trees and some 14" in diameter. It is a great bucking saw too.

The C model desiginates it needs no tools to adjust the chain tension and of course it will cost a little more money.

Nosmo

Miket163
06-15-2009, 09:29 AM
my only problem with Stihls are (in my case) when they are hot i have a hard time firing them back up...never had this problem with an Echo. My only problem w/ Echo is there lubrication system takes a while to adjust when you get it home from the shop, they tend to "throw" a lot of lub, but they run cooler and cut faster than any Stihl I have used (model against model...same weight class). Both are great saws though.

metro36
06-15-2009, 01:01 PM
Husky makes a sweet saw in my opinion. I would look at some of the ones above. I have a jonsered top handle saw which is the same as the husky and I love it. I put it through he!! and it keeps going.

mudbug250
06-15-2009, 01:31 PM
Just bought a Stihl 290 "Farm Boss" and man this thing can cut. It puts the old Poulan I used to use to shame. The Farm Boss is a little on the heavy side but the ease with which it cuts throught the wood it isn't an issue for me.

eatonpcat
06-15-2009, 02:47 PM

That's good advice, I bought a chain sharpening setup at Home Depot and never could teach myself how to use it. I have to take them to get sharpened or buy new chains (Gets expensive).

Nosmo
06-15-2009, 03:31 PM
I'm not trying to put you down but sharpening a chainsaw is really simple. I think it is much easier to sit down and sharpen one than to bend over and run one.

I have several guides and clamp on types but one I ran across this one earlier this spring and it is almost foolproof.

It has two different guides marked on the body 30 and 35 degrees. The file holder is V shaped and the file is clamped at the bottom of the V.

To use the sharpener and guide all a person has to do is lay the V part over on its side with the file in the gullet of the tooth and the other side of the V resting on the depth gauge. About 2 or 3 strokes on every other tooth and then change sides for the other every other tooth and it is razor sharp.

Found it in one of the Stihl dealer's shop but it goes by the name brand Green Machine. Tried finding this one on the internet but I can't locate one.

Nosmo

bluridge
06-15-2009, 04:04 PM
here is my short story. I originally was gonna buy the Stihl 260Pro or 260 but decided to buy the MS361. This is on the lower totem pole of the Stihl Pro saws and above 260. I looked at the Farm boss 290 and 270 and these appear to be fine machines but may the 290 is a sucker for weight. I mean I do not think I wanna lug these around too far and where I will be cutting sometime in the next 2 years it is a 400 yard drive through woods. I know I will have to carry the saw down that way. The 361 weights 12.2lbs and the 260 weights 10.3 so there like 2 lbs difference. Do yourself a favor and go to a Stihl and Husky shop and heft them. I also was looking at the Husky 353 which got rave reviews and is pretty lightweight.

Here are two main differences between the Stihl mid-range and pro saws. The midrange has the plastic crankcase (no I have not took mine apart but that is what the Pros are saying) and the Pro saws have the magnesium crankcase. How does this apply to real world? Well...the Pro saws can run for hours everyday throughout the year...they are expected to run forever and are what pro loggers use. The mid-range saw is not expected to run for hours everyday but that does not mean you cannot do it. It is just the pro saw is made to professional standards. And a pro...if his pro saw breaks down after 4 years of 50hrs a week use for 4 years...he is gonna want to rebuild his saw instead of buying a new saw. The pro saw are made for easy rebuildability.

For me...i liked the wood boss 270 but it was still gonna be $400 anyway...I figured for $200 more that is not a whole lot more...considerinf you can buy a case of beet for $25! I am happy with my purchase but I should also mention that the 290 was touted as #1 selling Stihl saw but I could not get over the weight of 13+ lbs and the bulkness of this saw. I need to be able to carry the saw. Yeah...I own some timber property so I cut a few firewood and willing to invest in a good saw.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-15-2009, 05:45 PM
I have $400 and will be using it for mostly light to medium work.

go to

http://www.amickssuperstore.com/Dolmar_PS5100S_18_p/dolmar%20ps5100s%2018%20chainsaw%20as.htm

about 400 and will do what you need plus they are very light!

chub
06-15-2009, 06:09 PM
For that purpose I believe a dolmar 5100 would be a good choice ,however you are very close to the price of a husky 346xp and in my opinion is just a all around better saw,the way it feels build quality ,ect the only thing I like better about the dolmar is the inboard clutch.I have never heard anyone complain about the old 346 or the ne346xp.

FYS777
06-15-2009, 06:15 PM
what i would do is go around and find two, two hunderd dollar saws and call it good. instead of buying one,

LoneToySoldier
06-15-2009, 06:33 PM
+1 On a ms290 farm boss. I cut down a tree with over a three foot diameter with the stock 16" bar. Limbed the whole thing and then brought it down. Went through two chains, but that was I because I got impatient. That saw was dropped twice from the top of that tree, only thing that broke was the black snap for the air filter. It's three years old and has been a great saw for what I need - some firewood, tree removal, fourwheeling. I had a homelite, an OLD craftsman, and a poulan wild thing. The 290 has been more saw than all of them put together, its been one of my better purchases. I will say that the craftsman only went on the junk pile because the main bearings went and eat up the engine block.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-15-2009, 07:23 PM
i like husky myself, just honestly the dolmar gets thrown arround all day and it always works and it is a really fast cut with a some super 70 chain. plus it came with 3/8 pitch sprocket and bar so i was really happy i dont like .325 or whatever size smaller doesnt seem to bite as hard.

i personally say run husky they seem to be the best all around saws, i have tried the stihl pro saws and just dont have a good feel for them, maybe it is for people with stronger hands or what not i just like a plastic husky or a dolmar. light and comfortable is what explains those brand pro saws.

Nosmo
06-16-2009, 05:46 AM
OK , everyone has his own choice of sizes and makes of saws for his own use. The orignial poster has answered the question - how will you be using the saw ?

He said from light to medium work. How many of you guys would tote a 13# saw with an 18" or 20" bar doing light to medium work ?

Nosmo

bluridge
07-09-2009, 05:47 PM
I would buy the medium line Stihl or even a Husky 353. The 353 has the magnesium case and last longer. But in reality I would get the medium range saws for the light to medium work. Or I would get a better saw used by testing it out first. I was originally going to get Stihl's med range saw wihc comprises of the MS270 - MS310 saws but I got a fairly good deal on the MS361 and its only around $100 to $150 more so I got something that will last me me life LOL>

Nosmo
07-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Glad to hear you got a good saw - lots of people on the Arborist site swear by the 361.

Nosmo

david shumaker
07-09-2009, 10:59 PM
go to

http://www.amickssuperstore.com/Dolmar_PS5100S_18_p/dolmar%20ps5100s%2018%20chainsaw%20as.htm

about 400 and will do what you need plus they are very light!

I went to the website and it says you can't order this saw off their website. It sounds like a good saw. I think I'll call and see if I can order one over the phone. There are no dealers very close to me.

Wizz
07-09-2009, 11:32 PM
if you buy a 372 you would solve any problems you ever had. best all around saw ever made blows the 576xp out of the water they are junk sold 2 of them before i used them just becuase of hearing about the cranks going bad.

i recomend a dolmar ps5100 they are cheap dont break and use a 3/8 pitch chaing that most other 50cc saws dont use. they might have switched to 3/8th pitch now for the other saws so dont quote me on that but i would make that a think to look for. if you buy a saw get a 18 or 20 inch bar they are do it all size bars, you can drop a huge tree with a 20 inch bar and cut lots of fire wood with it too. http://www.oregonchain.com/38.htm#72LP super 70 oregon chain is also nice to have it is really hard tool steel and sharp as hell! i buy it off of ebay for cheap it is easeir to sharpen but i do that after i am done using my saws. while i am at work i will just throw a new chain on if i have a problem cutting. most guys will say that is too slow and sharpening is faster but i just hate cutting my hands up and going back to work, im not all that good at sharpening anyway.

if you can find a nice 362xp husky you cant pass it up they are a improved version of the 365 special and both of those saws are great!!! i personally use a old eager beaver 3.7cubic inch saw with a 24" bar and i must say it out cuts alot of newer pro saws i have owned!, beat my 288xp hands down everytime i raced, it made me get rid of the 288xp.

a 50cc pro saw is a good saw light and will do a big job plus wont kill you and kick back, stihl 260 pro, dolmar ps5100, husky 246xp, solo 651, etc any 50cc prosaw will probly do you fine!

SfTD...check your PM :)