PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Station at the shop?

ExecutiveLawns
06-14-2009, 06:42 PM
What do you guys do about fueling up your trucks and equipment? (This question is for the guys that run more than a truck and a few mowers) The way I do it right now is we have 6 6+gal fuel cans and a 4 2.5gal fuel cans that get filled up at the gas station every few days and 3 trucks that get filled up at least once a week. we go through around 80 gal of gas per week for the mowers and around 100 gal per week for the trucks. My guys top the mowers off every night when they get back to the shop from the gas cans and the trucks get filled up when they get around a 1/4 tank. Gassing the mowers at the gas station is out of the question as for it takes too much time out of the day. What im getting to is do any of you guys use a fuel service that comes to you shop or is there some other type of fuel storage that is easier and more time efficient? Keep in mind that we have to keep our truck and equipment fuel amounts separate because in Iowa we get the state and fed. road taxes back on the equipment fuel.

gtmorgan89
06-14-2009, 06:46 PM
If you go through a lot of fuel, this little gem is a lifesaver.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_43467_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1

ExecutiveLawns
06-14-2009, 07:23 PM
I am looking for something that can go in our shop and not take up bed space in a truck. I am thinking of calling a fuel service tomorrow morning and see how much it costs to have them fuel us up if i had a large tank at the shop

kaferhaus
06-14-2009, 07:46 PM
We have a 1200 gal above ground tank. I have a independent distributor fill it up every thursday. Trucks and mowers are refueld every evening along with the cans for the trailers.

JB1
06-14-2009, 07:48 PM
I own two 500 gallon tanks and the company I get fuel from brought me out another 500 gallon tank for me to use, it works out well and saves a lot of time.

Kelly's Landscaping
06-14-2009, 07:54 PM
It's our dream to fuel at the shop but I do not see that happening anytime soon. Would need a secure and safe approved place on our land before we could do that. But as our fuel use increases I think we will look more seriously at doing this I just can not justify it with only 5000-6000 gallons of gas and diesel a year atm.

Mowingman
06-14-2009, 08:13 PM
You had better check your local building and fire codes before installing a fuel tank at your shop. There are usually some very stiff regulations on them, especially if you are inside the city limits.
You can bypass most safety codes and regulations by mounting a storage tank on a trailer. This makes it a portable tank, and as long as it is under about 300 gallons, you are exempt from DOT regulations. However, a tank full of gasoline or diesel on your property is still a big safety and environmental liabillity.

Kelly's Landscaping
06-14-2009, 08:24 PM
You had better check your local building and fire codes before installing a fuel tank at your shop. There are usually some very stiff regulations on them, especially if you are inside the city limits.
You can bypass most safety codes and regulations by mounting a storage tank on a trailer. This makes it a portable tank, and as long as it is under about 300 gallons, you are exempt from DOT regulations. However, a tank full of gasoline or diesel on your property is still a big safety and environmental liabillity.

Yes it wasn't not lost on me the guys who posted all live big open states I would have to jump through a lot of hoops to get that through zoning. And I would need to wait to after the elections this year the new zoning board from 2007 ie (dems) say no to everything.

heather lawn sp
06-14-2009, 09:32 PM
Is there any gas station nearby with a card lock system? (works like a ATM, card goes into a machine, fuel comes out, bill goes to office). 4 trucks 5 mowers using 200 US gallons a week. One truck is designated to top off the cans when they get low. The others fuel their on board mowers and their truck. It works out to about once evey 4 days