PDA

View Full Version : Best truck for solo northeast lco

eastportstar
06-14-2009, 06:03 PM
What have any of you solo guys found to be best truck ? I use a dodge ram 1500 4x4 6 1/2' bed extended cab. This thing is useless. my old 77 f250 was better. I'd thought i'd trade "up". Bed is too small to have much loaded. Suspension too weak for top soil. Back seat just collects crap. I'm thinking older standard cab 2 wheel drive with small dump / rack body 3/4 ton.
What do you guys have that really works without being 3500 diesel dually. I usually work alone except for cleanups and mulch jobs. Tow trailer with 2 walk behinds. Mow 15-20 lawns a week. No bagging. I have a couple college students i get for cleanups (never more than 3 of us).

1993lx172
06-14-2009, 06:25 PM
A Dodge ram 2500 reg. cab, long bed and 4X4 with tow package and/or plow prep should suit your needs just fine.

eastportstar
06-14-2009, 08:49 PM
my dodge is a 1999 also. i don't like it. 5.9 with 150k. doesn't feel that powerful . i thought the old ford had much more power (351), held over 1 ton. f250 camper special. i think i'll look for another like that. i only go about 20 miles round trip 2 days a week for cutting, so an older truck is ok. maybe get a dump trailer instead of rack/dump body. wonder if i could haul my mowers in a dump trailer . can't imagine why not.

Whitey4
06-14-2009, 09:30 PM
Sounds like you need more beef and hauling capacity than I do. I have a 3 week old 2009 F150. Pulls my 10X6 enclosed great, no trailer sway at all, and I can do full yards of bulk soil or compost or mulch no problem. I put a yard and a half on it my first time, and that WAS too heavy.

If you want to haul bulk over a yard, then I'd guess you need a dump, maybe a 350.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-14-2009, 09:35 PM
i use a 03 ram 2500 hd and it is about just enough for everything. i also have a f350 ford 2000 with a v10 and it is also perfect for anything i do. they are both 8ft box reg cabs. i dont tow a wicked lot of weight. when plowing they are better than a diesel i have diesel trucks with plows i can use but they arent as quick and are sluggish seem to get stuck very easy. when i use a hemi or v10 i can crash into banks with authority! and i never get stuck and can always wiggle my way out on my own. i have been burried in a 7 foot storm we got one year but i seemed to get unstuck with a shovel in no time flat and that was using the ford. i run bfgoodrich mud terrain km2 tires on both trucks tall and skinny 255/85/16 on the ford and 255/75/17 on the dodge only complaint i have is wear they wear out iin 10000 miles and they are about 800 a set. any ford with a set of leaf springs in the front is a ultra good truck and is proven to out work and last any truck i have seen and i am a mechanic with 4 uncles than own big garages plus i own my own! ford has a reat chassi up to a certain year. therir diesel engine are another story and i dont recomend any of them! i dont care what model, they are all junk! dodge is also junk i have alot of problems with mine and i blew the tranny twice and i still have problems that they cant figure out. i have only had one thing with my ford go wrong i blew a sparkplug out of the cylinder while plowing, funny thing is i kept plowing for a few hours before i brought it in the garage and put a heli coil kit in. had more than enough power to keep going it just was really loud. she still runs great till this day.

i cant wait to hear about how a diesel is better! lol
ask any one you want arround here the only diesel i would look at is a chevy and i still think they cant get out of their own way! too bad its true cause if they werent so heavy in the front i would buy one! i would buy any truck that is better than what i have and i really havent found a better truck than a ford reg cab 1 ton with a v10 for all arround work they always run they never break and when they do they still will work and never give up. some v10 motrs though are known for the cam guide followers to fall right out of the head they will still run but evntually blow under stress if you hear one ticking like a bad lifter beware!

1993lx172
06-14-2009, 09:56 PM
my dodge is a 1999 also. i don't like it. 5.9 with 150k. doesn't feel that powerful . i thought the old ford had much more power (351), held over 1 ton. f250 camper special. i think i'll look for another like that. i only go about 20 miles round trip 2 days a week for cutting, so an older truck is ok. maybe get a dump trailer instead of rack/dump body. wonder if i could haul my mowers in a dump trailer . can't imagine why not.

Mine has been great, Mine is set up for plowing so my power train is set up differently than yours is so I am probably getting more power to the ground than you are. My truck had an eight foot fisher plow on it before we got it, used as a maintenance truck at ware house of the company that my dad used to work for, so the 5.9 has some kick to it. What ever you get the three things you'll need are the 8' bed,4X4, and a trailer prep package, but if i were in you shoes I'd add a plow prep as well but that's just me.

As for the dump insert vs. dump trailer issue, go with the dump trailer. From what I've seen they come with a set of ramps like those on a skid loader trailer so you should be able to get your mowers into it with out any trouble. In my opinion this is your best bet.

FastMan
06-14-2009, 10:03 PM
Not sure if many guys have done this, but I switched over from a pickup to a full size van many years ago, and would never go back. Tools, trimmers, blowers, etc. just stay in there, locked up if you want. Just come home, take the mowers off the trailer and you're done. Thought I'd miss being able to use the bed of the pickup for mulch and stuff, but instead I use my trailer and it works even better. Easier to unload, and carries more bulk. And when carrying plant material, you can put inside in the van where it's protected from wind damage.

GOOSEHANSON
06-14-2009, 10:07 PM
check my signiture...2003 Ford F-350 long bed, dialed up on the EDGE chip and it is putting out close to 500 HP and a ton of torque....sweet pulling up to a rice burner or Comaro(these guys are always thinking those 200 and some odd HP cars are fast) and eat there lunch in a whistlin' turbo turned to race mode...trucks are getting pretty cheap now...

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-14-2009, 10:11 PM
Not sure if many guys have done this, but I switched over from a pickup to a full size van many years ago, and would never go back. Tools, trimmers, blowers, etc. just stay in there, locked up if you want. Just come home, take the mowers off the trailer and you're done. Thought I'd miss being able to use the bed of the pickup for mulch and stuff, but instead I use my trailer and it works even better. Easier to unload, and carries more bulk. And when carrying plant material, you can put inside in the van where it's protected from wind damage.

that is a very over looked vehicle! that is a great thing to bring up i think this guy might actually be better off with a van and a dump trailer. he wants 2 whell drive so in that case a van is much better in the snow than a pickup and also the added security of the van also helps pluss it must give you a ton of space to keep all your stuff in like haveing two trailers!

i have a full size 2500 serries van ill sell for 300 if anyone is interested it runs great just has a cracked block it is a 87 chevy but is in better shape than anyone would think. if anybody is interested just say so and ill get a pic for you!

JDiepstra
06-14-2009, 10:19 PM
check my signiture...2003 Ford F-350 long bed, dialed up on the EDGE chip and it is putting out close to 500 HP and a ton of torque....sweet pulling up to a rice burner or Comaro(these guys are always thinking those 200 and some odd HP cars are fast) and eat there lunch in a whistlin' turbo turned to race mode...trucks are getting pretty cheap now...

You are not making 500 hp. I bet you are lucky to see 350. Unless you have a lot of mods you are not telling us about. Actually, lets figure it out......... Your truck has 325 hp stock. Subtract 20% for drivetrain losses and you are down to 260 at the rear wheels. Edge advertises 80 hp gain for your truck so you are up to 340 hp. At your power level an exhaust is not adding more than 10 hp so there you go, 350 hp.

Ford guys........... I tell ya.

GOOSEHANSON
06-14-2009, 10:48 PM
Edge w/ Attitude chip, K&N cold air induction, 5" stainless exhaust minus cat. and slightly bigger injectors...and of course beefier head bolts...should be close to 500Hp and 200 plus pounds of torque...deffinitly enough to pull a landscaping trailer loaded up...

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-14-2009, 11:14 PM
lol more than enough! i get some of the off road magazines for free subscriptions and they have a issue with all the diesels tutboed out doing drags and climbing pulling etc! they get like 1200hp out of some of them particularly isuzu/chevy and cummins but they show some of the 4 wheel drive burnouts at the drag stip and it is quite amazing how bad these trucks will light up all fours! they do a 1/4mile drag with 10000 lbs of water in tow and these truck are running 10 sec>!!! truly amazing!

did you do the work yourself to the truck or do you have a garage tune it and work on it for you?

JDiepstra
06-14-2009, 11:25 PM
Edge w/ Attitude chip, K&N cold air induction, 5" stainless exhaust minus cat. and slightly bigger injectors...and of course beefier head bolts...should be close to 500Hp and 200 plus pounds of torque...deffinitly enough to pull a landscaping trailer loaded up...

OK with the injectors I will give you 400.

lol more than enough! i get some of the off road magazines for free subscriptions and they have a issue with all the diesels tutboed out doing drags and climbing pulling etc! they get like 1200hp out of some of them particularly isuzu/chevy and cummins but they show some of the 4 wheel drive burnouts at the drag stip and it is quite amazing how bad these trucks will light up all fours! they do a 1/4mile drag with 10000 lbs of water in tow and these truck are running 10 sec>!!! truly amazing!

did you do the work yourself to the truck or do you have a garage tune it and work on it for you?

Yes diesels are the ultimate for making big power! Don't be mistaken though, 1200 hp is gonna cost tens of thousands of dollars in the engine and another $6000 in the tranny. Not a cheap hobby once you get to about 600 hp. And all of the listed mods can be done in the driveway in a day.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-15-2009, 12:06 AM
OK with the injectors I will give you 400.

Yes diesels are the ultimate for making big power! Don't be mistaken though, 1200 hp is gonna cost tens of thousands of dollars in the engine and another $6000 in the tranny. Not a cheap hobby once you get to about 600 hp. And all of the listed mods can be done in the driveway in a day.

you really think that with larger injectors he only runs 400? i can see if it is a 7.3 liter but if it is a 6.0 i would say maybe more, no??? in 03 they didnt have the 6.0 is probly what i am thinking, if it is a 7.3 than your probly right they were 175hp stock and if you bought the upgraded version i think they were 235hp, the v10 was on par with towing in those days, couldnt beat a cummins or a isuzu though with a allison! those trannies made a standard shift chevy obsolete!

GOOSEHANSON
06-15-2009, 12:35 AM
'03 was the first yr. of the 6.0...they had both during that year...he maybe right, 400 rear wheel hp is alot different then 400 hp from the engine...No the work wasn't done by me...it was my dads truck, he used it as his pull rig on his 4 slide out 36' 5th wheel before he passed away two yrs. ago....he was a serious hot rod guy and threw the kitchen sink at it...all the "bugs" have been worked out of it and has been a great work truck...Thanks Dad...you were the best!

JDiepstra
06-15-2009, 09:03 AM
'03 was the first yr. of the 6.0...they had both during that year...he maybe right, 400 rear wheel hp is alot different then 400 hp from the engine...No the work wasn't done by me...it was my dads truck, he used it as his pull rig on his 4 slide out 36' 5th wheel before he passed away two yrs. ago....he was a serious hot rod guy and threw the kitchen sink at it...all the "bugs" have been worked out of it and has been a great work truck...Thanks Dad...you were the best!

Ok you seem like a very nice guy. I'll go 500 hp! :laugh:

Gravel Rat
06-15-2009, 02:12 PM
If you are in the lawn business why not a truck with a cube van easy to work out of and its dry. No trailer to carry mowers on the cube van everything is out of sight and locked up.

If you need to move soil etc get a dump trailer.

genesis215
06-15-2009, 02:42 PM
A '91-'98 Chevy 2500 with the 5.7L 350 V8 should be great. Good gas mileage for a V8, excellent power (especially with the Vortec V8 of '96-'98), and will run for 300K or more miles easily. The Ford 351 is also a very good engine with great power, but doesn't have the good gas mileage of the Chevy 350. I have riden in both, and the 350 is significantly better with a little more power. Either one is an excellent engine over a Dodge. Just know that the automatic transmission is MUCH better on the Chevy, and from my experience that the Ford E4OD transmission is quite trouble prone, and will not last near as long as the Chevy transmission.

eastportstar
06-15-2009, 05:18 PM
All good ideas. I like the van idea with heavier trailer. Also, chevy 350. I've had a bunch over the years , always good. Also, my lco license here on long island is same for home improvements. In winter months i've been doing handyman stuff. Van would work great for that. Snow with tablesaws and lumber in truck is real p.i.a. I'm starting my search now. Stick "for sale" sign on dodge while looking. Thanks

Gravel Rat
06-15-2009, 05:38 PM
One of my landscaper friends bought a older used cube van its got a 14 foot box on it around a 88. He can't do without it now he used to work out of P/U trucks no more. Everything is in the van its dry easy to load.

Most landcapers here have gotten away from the trailers because the places they work are not able to get a trailer up or down the driveway. No place to turn a trailer around when you get to the house.

eastportstar
06-15-2009, 06:17 PM
I'll have to look into a cube van. I have 1 account i have to back down the street about 300 yards. I hate it. I'll bet i could even put a ramp on the side of a box truck (plus on the back ).