PDA

View Full Version : work truck

Mark B
06-15-2009, 12:30 AM
Are any of you working out of an old bread truck or Mac tool truck? There is one for sale right down the road from me. It would need to be painted then lettered or wrapped. It is a 14ft long box. Keep in mind I do irrigation service and lighting. I think it would be great moving advertising. The price seems to fair or a good deal as well.

David Gretzmier
06-15-2009, 10:09 AM
I've looked at several of those and almost purchased a 18 foot freightliner with a cummins engine. I had a big semi truck place check it out and they did an oil and trans fluid test for 95 bucks. they basically knew how long the trans and engine were going to last based on the amount of metal particles in the fluids. They reccomended not buying it. It was a very nice '99 model with around 125k on the Odometer for around 5000 bucks.

Also, I'd encourage you to test drive and compare it to a boxvan with a pass through door. I have 2 of those, and my experience is they are way quieter and easier to train employees to drive.

On the flip side, you can find many decent running versions for 1500-2000 bucks or so, and the aluminum body UPS type trucks you are looking at are worth several hundred in aluminum at the end of thier life.

Pro-Scapes
06-15-2009, 12:36 PM
Make sure.

No oil leaks. Clients frown at sludge left on street or driveways
Runs quite no smoke or exhaust probs.
Respectibly clean

A bread truck would be a bit to big for me. I preffer my enclosed trailer and pick up altho we are in the search for a 3/4 ton van with racks in it now. I found a nice e250 with the full set of weather gaurd boxes in it. No frills just AC... clean inside and out with 30k on it for around 8k

Mark B
06-15-2009, 03:42 PM
I have not drove the truck yet. The asking price is 4k. I'm sure it would be a arm & leg to have it wrapped or lettered up. It is a 350 gasser. It already has shelves & cabinets inside, along with a propane furnace and A/C. It has a propane genny as well. I would remove& sell the Propane genny and put my honda 3000eu inside for the A/C. Along with a booming sound system.

BrandonV
06-15-2009, 03:53 PM
don't forget the disco ball

Lite4
06-15-2009, 11:43 PM
I love my sprinter box van. I couldnt' imagine ever going back to a pickup or trailer ever again. Just a fantastic rig all the way around.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-16-2009, 01:11 AM
If they ever make the Sprinter in a 4x4 configuration I will probably get one, but without 4x drive we get pretty much no-where in the winter. I just love my 09 Toyota Tundra... Best Pickup I have ever driven. It hauls the trailer just fine and there are a lot of advantages to not having to pull your entire rig back and forth to job sites everyday.