PDA

View Full Version : Moving 9 tons of dirt...by shovel?

Shpigford
06-15-2009, 12:49 AM
So I'm putting in a paver patio that is ~500 sq/ft. I'm planning on doing 4 inches of roadbase and so 4 inches of roadbase for ~500 sq/ft adds up to ~9 tons of needed roadbase.

The way my yard is situated, there's really no way for the truck to bring all of that dirt and dump it right beside the patio. The best I could do is have it dumped 40-50 feet away.

So, am I completely out of my mind (and body) to think that I might could move and lay 9 tons of dirt with just a wheelbarrow and shovel? I honestly am having a hard time imagining how much dirt that really is so I'm wondering if it's an impossible feat.

Obviously the other option is to rent a skid steer for a few days but I risk seriously tearing up my yard (though that might be worth it for the saved energy/muscle/time).

Thoughts? What would you do?

Bru75
06-15-2009, 01:16 AM
Dirt? Do you mean the gravel?
Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather fix the yard later than move 9 tons of anything with a wheelbarrow.

mdlwn1
06-15-2009, 01:21 AM
I once told my 2 18 yo employees that I would pay them for the day...no matter what time they finished. They moved 16 tons of stone in 2 wheel barrows by like 2:00.

Ric3077
06-15-2009, 01:49 AM
Sounds like its only 4-5 cubic yards...not too bad with a wheelbarrow...if you are feeling lazy just rent a dingo or Md-52 (any sort of walk behind skid steer will do). Will probably run you $90 or so for 4 hours which will be plenty of time and it wont damage the lawn.

Stillwater
06-15-2009, 04:09 AM
when your the go to guy for hardscape, this arises all the time, jobs that are inappropriate for a skid or dingo or truck travel is limited due to weight limits of septic systems or sensitive landscape. Hello wheel barrow and shovel...
it sucks but that is taken care of in the slip of paper that you hand the customer that says amount due. material staging is factored early in the est.

600rrpilot
06-15-2009, 10:43 AM
where theres a will theres a way. I just finished a job that involved moving 35,000 lbs of mini creta by wheelbarrow from the street. my back hurts. lol

Mid-Ohio Scaper
06-15-2009, 12:15 PM
You can handle this, It's time for you to man-up, pull up those boot straps and hire yourself some spot labor. Obviously you didn't completely think this threw ahead of time otherwise you wouldn't be on here knowing what options you have now. Then wanting us to make the decision for you????? Next time hire a professional that not only knows you do not, I repeat. Do not use "dirt" for a paver patio base, but also knows how to stage the job site.

Isobel
06-16-2009, 12:34 AM
Obviously the other option is to rent a skid steer for a few days but I risk seriously tearing up my yard (though that might be worth it for the saved energy/muscle/time).

Well obviously. Go rent the machinery, yards are easy to fix...

P.Services
06-16-2009, 12:39 AM
grow a set and move it. myself and two other workers moved 48 tons of sand down the steepest mother effer of a hill i have ever seen. all in one day. made big $$ though

doubleedge
06-16-2009, 02:52 AM
grow a set and move it. myself and two other workers moved 48 tons of sand down the steepest mother effer of a hill i have ever seen. all in one day. made big $$ though

At least you weren't moving the sand up the hill :laugh:.

AztlanLC
06-16-2009, 08:31 AM
Is the patio going to be 500sqf or that is the area for the base, are you accounting for compaction cause you base calculation seems a little low.
Is the area already excavated? do you have to haul out the dirt as well? rent a dingo or skid steer and be done with it.

Sardean
06-17-2009, 12:03 PM
it's less than half a day's work for two guys. we do it by hand alot, just can't justify the added time to pickup and return a machine. now if i owned one, it would be a different story. but really, nine tons is not that much. just don't forget,like i think someone else mentioned, you should have that much coming out as well.....

hardscaper
06-26-2009, 12:06 PM
No brainer.

LB1234
07-03-2009, 11:08 AM
some type of walk behind TRACKED mini-skid will do this job easily. If you are that concerned about the lawn then lay some cheap plywood down over the lawn/landscape and drive over that. Just make sure you pick it up after you are done or it will make it worse.

we do this alot with our dingo. it really minimizes repair/cleanup.

Crash
07-24-2009, 11:23 PM
When did landscapers become such babies? Another employee and I moved 26 yards of screened black dirt down a driveway, through the woods and back to a burm in less than 7 hours...by hand. You can do it.

DVS Hardscaper
07-25-2009, 10:37 AM
We have a really nice patio that we built 6 years ago. It's a job that we use on much of our advertising.

When I initially met with the home owners, the man told me he would dig out the soil and break the rock out from under they deck and he wanted us to haul it away.

Ok, this property is on very rocky ground. I thought to myself "no way will this guy move all this soil out from under this 5' high deck and no way will he break the rock out".

Sure enough - HE HAD EVERY BIT OF WHAT HE SAID HE WOULD DO COMPLETED by the time we arrive to start. Probably the equivilant to 8-10 yards. In most cases - 1 yard weighs 1 ton. Although, I'm not so sure the home owner realized how much soil it would be. I think he just had the mindset to get it done before we started.

With the right attitude - anything is possible.

If someone has the ambition to do something theirself - WONDERFUL!

Also, we move soil and aggregate by hand all the time. We usually come up with some sort of system to make it go easier.

kootoomootoo
07-25-2009, 12:27 PM
Its been a month......wonder if they have finished moving the dirt yet.

LB1234
07-27-2009, 01:16 AM
Its been a month......wonder if they have finished moving the dirt yet.

dude you crack me up. Some of your comments are just priceless.:waving:

Pro-Scapes
07-30-2009, 11:10 AM
I agree. When did landscapers become wusses. Pony up... By the time you ponder how to move it or go pick up a machine and all that ply wood you could have done it with a helper or 2.

We hauled 30 yards into a back yard with 2 helpers and 2 wheelbarrows in about 6-7 hours with frequent water breaks. If you cant take a powered dumper in the back then your biggest time saver will be having a dingo or similar machine to load the wheelbarrows

Hope to it. Factor it in and get paid for an honest days work.

DeereHauler
07-31-2009, 12:41 AM
i own a compact utility tractor with a loader. its not an overly heavy tractor. i have it for light duty work around the house. i just recently installed a wall, and patio, and had to cross 300 feet of grass to get there, we brought in all the stone, block, and pavers across the same 8 foot wide stretch the entire time, and never left ruts, or anything. the grass was obviously a little run down, but it greened back up in a couple days after we finished. i wouldn't use the tractor for excavation, but it saved a whole lot of time. i could've used the skid steer, but there would've been more involved in repairing the grass then the rest of the job. and if all else fails i have 3 guys, at least 3 shovels and 3 wheel barrows, and i'm sure we would've found a way. :)

Pro-Scapes
08-01-2009, 04:09 PM
We are getting a new TYM this fall just for that. More for around our land but it will sure come in handy on some jobs involving alot of bulk materials.

zedosix
08-02-2009, 12:05 PM
The guy who started this thread must be the laziest sob around. 9 tons of dirt are you joking buddy. I could do that after drinking all night and have countless times. Bunch of friggin wimps out there today.

PatriotLandscape
08-02-2009, 11:48 PM
I had teeo guys move 14 tons on friday they did it in about 6 hours. about 250 feet round trip maybe a little more.

suck it up and move it.

Bru75
08-03-2009, 12:06 AM
Has anybody else noticed that this guy hasn't been back since he started the thread? Seems odd.

wurkn with amish
08-03-2009, 07:32 PM
what's odd is you guys still getting mad 2 months later over this lazy hindend.
Myself and a midget could move 9tons up a mountain in the rain in two hrs with buckets!

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
08-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Myself and a midget could move 9tons up a mountain in the rain in two hrs with buckets!

That's LITTLE PEOPLE!:)

punt66
08-03-2009, 08:32 PM
what's odd is you guys still getting mad 2 months later over this lazy hindend.Myself and a midget could move 9tons up a mountain in the rain in two hrs with buckets!

And your joining in because? I agree 9 ton is nothing!

DVS Hardscaper
08-03-2009, 08:38 PM
yeah, the dude is long gone, but it makes me feel like a very very important bronze member when I share my super dooper looper dirt moving expertise.

kootoomootoo
08-03-2009, 09:17 PM

If it cant be moved with the skidder i aint moving it..

wurkn with amish
08-03-2009, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurkn with amish
what's odd is you guys still getting mad 2 months later over this lazy hindend.Myself and a midget could move 9tons up a mountain in the rain in two hrs with buckets!

And your joining in because? I agree 9 ton is nothing!

everyone else said something so I wanted to. GO MOVE SOME DIRT!

wurkn with amish
08-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Same here Koot!! Or a slinger truck.........I'm lazy:)

JimmyStew
08-06-2009, 09:19 AM
Suck it up and get to work. Thats not that much gravel. We move more than that by "shovel" all the time for projects. This last one was awesome. The homeowner was in charge of getting the gravel for the project. I made sure it met my specs and let him do it because "he knew the guy"!! I told him how much and where to dump it. I show up a couple days before the project to have pavers delivered and see a large pile of gravel dumped half way across his front lawn, about 100 feet from where I told him to dump it and right on the grass...no tarp! So we had to truck it by shovel and wheelbarrow an extra 100 feet to the patio, and then clean up the lawn AND fix the ruts where the delivery truck drove across the lawn (my dump site would have minimized the destruction). Then there is the age old question - do I eat the extra labor and cleanup time to make a happy customer, or make a stink and charge him for it............

zedosix
08-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Suck it up and get to work. Thats not that much gravel. We move more than that by "shovel" all the time for projects. This last one was awesome. The homeowner was in charge of getting the gravel for the project. I made sure it met my specs and let him do it because "he knew the guy"!! I told him how much and where to dump it. I show up a couple days before the project to have pavers delivered and see a large pile of gravel dumped half way across his front lawn, about 100 feet from where I told him to dump it and right on the grass...no tarp! So we had to truck it by shovel and wheelbarrow an extra 100 feet to the patio, and then clean up the lawn AND fix the ruts where the delivery truck drove across the lawn (my dump site would have minimized the destruction). Then there is the age old question - do I eat the extra labor and cleanup time to make a happy customer, or make a stink and charge him for it............

In a case like that I would charge him extra for stupidity then extra to have it moved and do the cleanup. Either way, I don't give a damn, those days are long behind me of having to shovel gravel to make a living.

kootoomootoo
08-07-2009, 11:23 PM
In a case like that I would charge him extra for stupidity then extra to have it moved and do the cleanup. Either way, I don't give a damn, those days are long behind me of having to shovel gravel to make a living.

Speaking of stupidity ...I had a chick just today go out before i got to site and mark every tumbled paver (brussels block) with a huge crayon in a star formation because they looked "chipped" .mam they are all chipped. theyre tumbled. you paid extra for that. The day b4 guy washes the pavers off..after i had cut them in but b4 they had been tamped. friigin killin me. I took pics.

redmax fan
08-07-2009, 11:26 PM
pavers are high maintenance , ide opt for a concrete patio

stuvecorp
08-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Speaking of stupidity ...I had a chick just today go out before i got to site and mark every tumbled paver (brussels block) with a huge crayon in a star formation because they looked "chipped" .mam they are all chipped. theyre tumbled. you paid extra for that. The day b4 guy washes the pavers off..after i had cut them in but b4 they had been tamped. friigin killin me. I took pics.

That's funny with the crayon - very appropriate. I'd cry on the patio deal, hopefully they didn't wreck it too bad.