PDA

View Full Version : Power Chute installation pics

tacoma200
06-15-2009, 01:06 AM
Member "Greenred" was uncomfortable about installing the power chute on the Turf Tiger. I threw this on my new Tiger that I bought a few months back and did a quick unprofessional job because I was in a hurry. But these pictures may help some that are considering the Power Chute. This is an old Power Chute that I took off my old Scag because I can't live with out it or one like it. First let me say it has 3 wires and that the black wire is not used. Red is hot, blue is ground. Two bolts (circled green) hold it on, two wires (shown with green arrows) plug into the motor. I temporarily zip tied it to the floor plate and it works so well with zip ties I see no need to put screws in. It's raining and I went out and took these pics quickly on the carport with a flash light and camera so sorry if the quality isn't that great. I need to adjust the routing of the wires slightly as you can see but it has given me no problem. Hope this helps. I was supposed to install a fuse over a year ago, oh well!

greenred
06-15-2009, 01:38 AM
Thank you very much Tacoma. Appreciate all your help. :waving:

marcuslawnguy
06-15-2009, 03:40 AM
do you have any pics showing a side view with the plate down? I am wondering how well it fits covering the discharge opening. I look at the website but the pics are taken far away.

Richard Martin
06-15-2009, 06:33 AM
Looks like a decent enough installation to me. I would get that fuse on there quick. You know better!

tacoma200
06-15-2009, 02:32 PM
Looks like a decent enough installation to me. I would get that fuse on there quick. You know better!

Yes, that's all we need is another " My Scag burnt to the ground" post.:waving:

dwost
06-15-2009, 03:16 PM
Looks great Tacoma! I absolutely LOVE my powerchute.

tacoma200
06-15-2009, 04:51 PM
do you have any pics showing a side view with the plate down? I am wondering how well it fits covering the discharge opening. I look at the website but the pics are taken far away.

The plate is beat up a bit after some heavy use (came off older mower) but I went out and got you a picture. I got caught in the rain again. It is bent from various things such as having it down while trimming up against asphalt. There are some members that bend the back side around to cover the curve in the Velocity decks chute. I have had no problems with this unit what so ever. I would not recommend it for mulching because Power Chute Design does not recommend it for that application. Sorry, I keep taking pictures in the dark, or rain, with grass piled on it but that's the way it is here. Rains about every day and you have to cut any way. I am very easy on my mowers but this chute take a beating because I tend to trim with both sides sometimes. It looked a lot better a year ago and they come in black or unpainted for the Scag. You can buy the Scag orange paint.

ALC-GregH
06-15-2009, 08:16 PM
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/DSC01444.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/DSC01445.jpg

ALC-GregH
06-15-2009, 08:17 PM
I like the blower affect it has when lowered 2/3 to 3/4 down.

greenred
06-15-2009, 08:21 PM
Thanks ALC-Greg

Can you guys tell me what you wire on your Scags you used to provide power to your chutes.

tacoma200
06-15-2009, 09:21 PM
It comes with a wire that runs from the foot pedal to the battery. Another wire goes to the power chute motor from the foot pedal. You need to crimp some supplied conectors to the end of the wires to plug into the power chute motor.it's not that bad.
Posted via Mobile Device

Power Chute Design
06-15-2009, 09:30 PM
I will say that the amatuer appearance of the wires plugged into the motor with two small female spade terminals is a thing of the past. I was finally able to find the correct Packard connector so the wiring plugs securly into the motor with the correct fittings.

After doing some research with some local LCO testers on Skag units there was no real blow out problem at the rear of the decks where the Power Chute stays straight and the decks curves rearward. BUT, curving the PC chute inward to match the rear curvature of the decks does hinder entry thru narrow passages ways as the chute is now open outward when it is in the up position. You can see this in one of the photos above. "Hey, no harm intended."

Thanks..Norm

greenred
06-15-2009, 09:33 PM
It comes with a wire that runs from the foot pedal to the battery. Another wire goes to the power chute motor from the foot pedal. You need to crimp some supplied conectors to the end of the wires to plug into the power chute motor.it's not that bad.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cool I was under the impression you had to wire it into existing wiring and Im no electrician lol. :weightlifter:

Power Chute Design
06-16-2009, 10:46 AM
On the power end the wires are connected directly to the battery by almost everyone and I send along all of the needed terminals fuses and fuse holder, etc.