PDA

View Full Version : Scag ZTR tip of the day

Rons Rightway Lawncare
06-15-2009, 06:55 AM
Not sure if it has been mentioned before, but a few years ago I was messing around with my Scag Wildcat, and found a way to improve control effort and make the mower easier to use.

On the frame of the mower, where the control sticks come out, and go in or out and then forward and reverse, there is a spring loaded device bolted onto the rear part of the frame in that area. What happens is when you try to move the control lever back, for backwards wheel travel, you end up pressing in this spring. I suppose the spring is there to try to give feedback that your in " Reverse " mode or something.

Anyway, I decided to remove the spring devices and use the mower to see if I liked it better. And I did. Makes the mower controls feel like they need far less effort. Try it, you will like it

iluvscag
06-15-2009, 10:23 AM
Good post, but to anyone running scag for awhile it's common knowledge.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
06-15-2009, 11:05 PM
Good post, but to anyone running scag for awhile it's common knowledge.

It is? I have yet to see anyone else with those spring devices removed.

marcuslawnguy
06-15-2009, 11:12 PM
Cool never tried that on my scags but I have talked to a scag and a gravely dealer and they told me that the shocks and springs are there on ztrs so guys are not moving the levers so fast in order to not damage the hydros. don't know if thats true

greengiant9963
06-15-2009, 11:20 PM
I have taken the dampeners competely off of my turf tiger. Just could not get use to the stiff controls.

dcgreenspro
06-16-2009, 12:24 AM
guys, I am all thumbs when it comes to this but I saw this post earlier and was wondering if you took off both for the forward and reverse???
The piston like device for forward and the spring for reverse?

Rons Rightway Lawncare
06-16-2009, 07:37 AM
I believe the spring device is there simply to make the controls return to neutral, from reverse, if you were going backwards and let go of the controls.

The shocks under the seat work in both forward and reverse.

Taking off just the spring device will cut down on the effort to operate the mower by a large margin. Taking off the shocks will make it almost effortless, but you have to be extremely smooth with your movements or else you will rip up turf and wear out your hydros quickly. I have tried it without the shocks on and I didn't like it.

I even tried drilling holes in the shocks on a mower a few years ago, to let the oils drain out, and that cut the effort but still had some dampening, but ultimately I ended up buying new shocks as it was too jerky without the shocks on the controls

FromtheGroundUp
06-16-2009, 08:56 AM
good posts. i am about to buy a new ztr. i realy like the Turf Tiger but hat the stiffness of controls. this sounds like a partial solution to this. I am used to dixie chopper which has virtually no damping. the tt may be the mower for me.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
06-16-2009, 09:31 AM
Stiffness is mainly due to the damper shocks and those pesky spring devices. Take off the springs and it will make a huge difference.

Another tip is for some reason, the levers are tight to move in and out ( as when your getting on and off the mower ). I spray a touch of WD-40 in that area and it frees them up nicely, making it alot easier to deal with. After a few hundred hours, the controls will wear in and you won't need to spray lube on it no more.

Another thing, try a Turf Tiger, then try a Wildcat. I did a week on a turf tiger a few weeks ago while my mower was in the shop for some engine work. That TT was a tank compared to my smaller, yet same sized deck Tigercub/ wildcat. I much prefer my smaller framed mower, far more manuverable and less weight on my lawns and less weight and bulk on my trailer, same deck and same exact cut. Cheaper too!