PDA

View Full Version : Silver Creek

ParkviewNursery
06-15-2009, 10:46 AM
Heres a job in progress.......rain today is holding it up, my only thing is i know the lights arent attached yet, the reason why, is i am not happy with the look of the round versus the square look. let me know what you think. she wanted three steps......so no comments on that tripper step.

Mid-Ohio Scaper
06-15-2009, 11:22 AM
I know you said "no comments" about the "tripper step", but since she wanted three steps why didn't you take the elevation and divide it three ways evenly so that you have three steps that are consistent???

ParkviewNursery
06-15-2009, 11:31 AM
The main reason why is that there is an exising concrete step under the final step at the door. Also to keep grade out of the back corner by the door it needed to slope out and away. I had 16 5/8" in differences from FFH to the grade of the driveway. It is what it is ........

CertPro
06-15-2009, 02:51 PM
I think it's incredibly dangerous. Imagine coming down those steps...it's like an optical illusion.....where does the next step start? there is no real deliniation.

cudaclan
06-15-2009, 04:34 PM
I would not like to shovel snow (steps) with the current light arraignment.

ParkviewNursery
06-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Optical illusion is what he wanted, he was an art professor at a college here.........its not as bad as it may seem

FYS777
06-15-2009, 06:50 PM
Optical illusion is what he wanted, he was an art professor at a college here.........its not as bad as it may seem

I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about this , but I like the round lights, and I would have extended the stone out about two feet on the left of the steps also with the boarder, instead of the dirt.

wurkn with amish
06-15-2009, 07:56 PM
what's that bottom light really gonna do? Its like 1/8 off the patio. This winter when it freeze/thaws it could come right off.

Mid-Ohio Scaper
06-15-2009, 08:23 PM
I like the idea.... Just not liking the uneven steps.
Have you ever tried Integral lighting?? I think with the limited space you have on the risers it would not only look better, but work a bit better too.....JMO

FYS777
06-15-2009, 08:24 PM
The main reason why is that there is an exising concrete step under the final step at the door. Also to keep grade out of the back corner by the door it needed to slope out and away. I had 16 5/8" in differences from FFH to the grade of the driveway. It is what it is ........

all in all I think the work you did is really good!!!!!!!!!

doubleedge
06-16-2009, 02:03 AM
Im not an expert, but I think it looks good. What stone is that?

ParkviewNursery
06-16-2009, 08:49 AM
The lights were placed when we put the steps on due to the wires, so when we came to do patio/walk when we were screeting.....found out the hard way that it was going to be a tight SOB with that light.

As far as extending it, theres plant material and mulch yet to go in.

Its a Silver Creek Slate, Iron Mountain. Made by RCP/Rockwood.

Mid-Ohio Scaper
06-16-2009, 09:25 AM
The lights were placed when we put the steps on due to the wires, so when we came to do patio/walk when we were screeting.....found out the hard way that it was going to be a tight SOB with that light.

As far as extending it, theres plant material and mulch yet to go in.

Its a Silver Creek Slate, Iron Mountain. Made by RCP/Rockwood.

For future reference so you can at least sound like you know what you're doing, it's screed not "screet".......

ParkviewNursery
06-16-2009, 03:55 PM
For future reference, i do know whats going, so spelled a word wrong.....cry me a river.........my portfolio speaks for itself.

Mid-Ohio Scaper
06-16-2009, 04:32 PM
For future reference, i do know whats going, so spelled a word wrong.....cry me a river.........my portfolio speaks for itself.

Didn't mean to touch a nerve, only reason I pointed it out is because I've met quite a few so called "contractors" who don't know things like that. So you can never be too sure!

I've never seen your portfolio......Just the pics on this thread. I like the abstract design, the choice in material. But like I said before the awkward steps and that choice in lighting just aren't doing it for me.

ParkviewNursery
06-16-2009, 05:38 PM
No i understand, just along day, we had 4 inchs of rain in a total of 2 hours, and that project right there i had to rip some slate up to get water away from the window......wasnt happy at all.......but what do you do when your midway in a project and they say slight chance for sprinkles!

No the lighting i am not happy with and some people have said they liked it and some havent, i just wanted an outside opinion on the lights.

Did i mention i hate rain

Bru75
06-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Your work looks good, but those steps are a lawsuit waiting to happen, and possibly a code violation.

amscapes03
06-16-2009, 08:37 PM
That first riser is a bummer. I hate it when forced to work with fixed dimensions that don't work with the materials being used. I'm pretty sure 30" or less and you don't need a railing. Local codes vary. The design is very cool. Nice to see someone thinking outside the box. Square, rectangle and radius landings/steps are so friggin boring! Nice job.

Bru75
06-16-2009, 11:41 PM
Not a railing, but (here at least) all step risers need to be within 3/8" of each other. Since these steps are attached to the house and not out in the yard somewhere, I would think the codes would apply.
He most likely did not need a permit for this, so no problem with an inspection. But if somebody does trip and sues the owner who in turn sues the builder, this could be an issue. The owner is not likely to admit that they wanted it this way. Besides, it is our obligation as professionals to know these things and not let the owner dictate things that are wrong.