PDA

View Full Version : 10 watt 60 Degree MR-16

jshimmin
06-15-2009, 01:20 PM
Anyone know of a manu that produces a 10 Watt MR-16 in a very wide flood? I've used linear spread lenses,but would prefer the correct bulb to begin with.

JoeyD
06-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Ushio only makes it to a 32deg.

jshimmin
06-15-2009, 01:39 PM
38 is the widest I have seen. The 20/60's cover this particular area fine, but are too hot on the white paint.

Alan B
06-15-2009, 01:50 PM
If you can't find a 10 w 60 degree MR-16, an option maybe to use a 10w Bi pin which will give you a wider beam spread then a 60 degree mr16.

Most of our fixtures that take Mr16's will also fit the jc bi pins we have (or you could get a new wallwash fixture designed for bi pin bulbs.

The wallwashes we have produce a very wide spread (since its a round shallow dish fixture and you can use a 10w bi pin)...however I personally am not keen on them as they are aluminum fixtures.

We are switching to all brass fixtures as we wind down our stock of aluminum.

Pro-Scapes
06-15-2009, 02:21 PM
unique stellar is a good choice and coppermoon has one coming out. Tom Williams turned me on to screening. Try putting a couple of layers of stainless screening over the 20w 60 degree to calm it down or try to 20w 60 with 1 or 2 frosted lenses in it if you can fit em.

What fixture are you using ? Maybe try multiple fixtures at 10w to produce the wider area your trying to acomplish or back the fixture off the subject if possible.

jshimmin
06-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Need them for some gutter mounted bullets hitting 5 dormers. Works well with (2) 20/60's crossed on the outsides. The bullets let me turn the shroud to eliminate the glare bomb from below. The wall washer fixtures allow to much of the source to be seen.

I'm going to try the stainless screen idea...

JoeyD
06-15-2009, 05:27 PM
Remember with any of our Odyssey Brass FIxtures you will have a set of Designer Lenses including spread lenses included in the box!!

Let There Be Light
06-20-2009, 01:07 AM
Anyone know of a manu that produces a 10 Watt MR-16 in a very wide flood? I've used linear spread lenses,but would prefer the correct bulb to begin with.

Hello, I just installed (today) two 5 watt 60 degree warm white LEDS (MR-16) for a client with an indoor atrium. I used these to wash a mural painted wall. Just got off the phone with the client "we love it" was the response. Hope that helps somewhat.

Steve

jshimmin
06-20-2009, 08:22 AM
What brand of LED did you use?

If I had one that was a close color temp to the existing halogens, it would be an easy sell.

Jim

Lite4
06-20-2009, 09:16 AM
I'm not drinking the MR16 LED Koolaid just yet. They have a long way to go.

Let There Be Light
06-20-2009, 01:08 PM
What brand of LED did you use?

If I had one that was a close color temp to the existing halogens, it would be an easy sell.

Jim

Hi Jim, There's lots of MR-16 LEDS out there. Some good, some not so good. I get mine from Sprinkler World here in PHX. The BIG difference with this one is the actual LED is manufactured by CREE in NC. which makes me feel better about the actual end product. It also has a large area aluminum heat sink on it. The 60 degree lens is also frosted-nice touch. Email me at steve@lettherebelightllc.com and I can put you in contact with the right guy at Sprinkler World. I'm sure they can ship you one.

Steve

Mike M
06-20-2009, 05:15 PM
I'm not drinking the MR16 LED Koolaid just yet. They have a long way to go.

:laugh:

The Jonestown massacre. Subtle.

Pro-Scapes
06-21-2009, 09:41 AM
Ushio synergy lamps are out and last time I saw them fully dimmable but the coolr part was when you dim them they hold the same color. Keep in mind I do not yet have the released version yet in my hand and just have a few of the pre release test units but the synergy is now readily avalible.

Lite4
06-21-2009, 10:24 AM
Ushio synergy lamps are out and last time I saw them fully dimmable but the coolr part was when you dim them they hold the same color. Keep in mind I do not yet have the released version yet in my hand and just have a few of the pre release test units but the synergy is now readily avalible.

I wonder how many hours they will last in a fully enclosed bullet fixture with no air circulation inside...HMMM :rolleyes: I'm just sayin, they make claims about longevity without having these things in the field being tested under real world conditions for any real length of time. Those IC boards are going to get pretty warm being fully enclosed inside that fixture, I don't care how big your heat sink is. If you can get 5 years out of these 1st generation LEDs I will be surprised, (pleasantly though)

Let There Be Light
06-21-2009, 02:12 PM
I love the Ushio brand and almost exclusively use their halogen lamps. I have a sample synergy LED lamp and although they have a nice beam spread selection, the footprint of the lamp is too big to be a true plug and play for the various fixtures I use and it's too expensive in my opinion.

Lite4
06-21-2009, 04:42 PM
I love the Ushio brand and almost exclusively use their halogen lamps. I have a sample synergy LED lamp and although they have a nice beam spread selection, the footprint of the lamp is too big to be a true plug and play for the various fixtures I use and it's too expensive in my opinion.

Ushio makes a fine lamp, I prefer and have much better luck with the GE's but that is simply just my preference.

There is no doubt we will see a true direct replacement lamp for the MR 16 or par for that matter in years to come as soon as they can overcome the heat issue.

By the way, Welcome to lawnsite Steve. Looking forward to getting to know you more on this site.

Let There Be Light
06-21-2009, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the "welcome" Tim, glad to have found this site.

Pro-Scapes
06-22-2009, 08:07 AM
My go to bullet is quite large when compared to other standard uplights in the industry. I am hoping this will help with any heat issues. I am going to retrofit a friendly clients home pretty soon and I can always go back to halogens if need be.

I do agree the price is somewhat high still but its like anything new. I just picked up a new 55 LCD tv this weekend which would have run me 5 grand last year. This year 1600 and the picture is incredible.

Rememeber paying 6 grand for a computer that did squat ?

Lite4
06-22-2009, 09:28 AM
So true Billy, technology advances at a blistering pace these days.

Pro-Scapes
06-22-2009, 07:07 PM
So true Billy, technology advances at a blistering pace these days.

Yup it was outdated before I bought it. 600htz tv's are out now. Almost bought one but decided it would be outdated next month anyways

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-23-2009, 12:10 AM
I have a bit of experience in the realm of LED lamps.

1: The Ushio Synergy lamp is not actually made by Ushio at all. It is made by a little known company that was recently acquired by a huge lighitng company. The initial 18 month license to sell the product that Ushio originally entered into with the manufacturer is due to expire very soon (if it has not already) and the manu. is uncertain as to what relationship will be continued with Ushio in the future given it's new ownership.

2: The Kumho Luxxo LED MR16 lamp is a very good unit. However, there have been some massive supply issues with this series of lamp in the past six months and there is currently no inventory at all in North America. They have produced a few thousand units for a private label distributor in the N.E.

3: I have been busy. I have engineered and am currently having manufactured a full line of INTEGRA-LED LED MR16 Lamps. These precisely mimic the intensity, colour and beam spread of 20W halogen LED MR16 Lamps. Not even I can tell a difference! I am hesitant to provide any more details here as Mike Donovan from Lawnsite will simply edit my post out as say I was promoting my products here without sponsorship. You can PM me or send me an email for more information. I can assure you this; I have engineered an entirely new driver circuit that has the operating temperature of the lamps so low it is hard to believe... a full 35 Deg. Celsius BELOW the rating of the Cree LEDS that are used in the lamp, and that is while installed in a Lumiere 203 Bullet.

I have been using this particular lamp in my installations for over 6 months now with no issues whatsoever.

Regards.