PDA

View Full Version : Striping roller's vs. Flaps

4 seasons lawn&land
06-15-2009, 01:28 PM
The flap method seem's to be a bit more practical and issue free, not to mention cheaper. I'm considering one for my ferris 2000, ferris makes a striping flap. I'm thinking of going that route. Are the roller's way better?

4 seasons lawn&land
06-15-2009, 03:33 PM
anyone used both in the past???

newtostone
06-15-2009, 03:52 PM
A flap will work but not as well as a roller just that simple. A flap will be much cheaper than a roller, and never break....well it may but not as a roller can.

4 seasons lawn&land
06-15-2009, 03:56 PM
thank's, you have used flap style ones?

is it the general opinion that big league lawns makes the best rolers?

dwost
06-15-2009, 04:13 PM
I've run both and hands down the roller works better. You CAN get good results with a flap (or chains) but the roller will leave better definition.

hvphotog
06-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Curious why the roller works better when it seems the object is to force the grass into one direction which dragging something across it would do a better job than something rolling over the top of it?

4 seasons lawn&land
06-15-2009, 05:52 PM
^^^ that's what I was thinking.

newtostone
06-15-2009, 05:58 PM
The roller will only work better if you have it forced on the groud, holding the deck. Which isnt the best for the grass. Otherwise they are the same.

dwost
06-15-2009, 09:28 PM
The roller will only work better if you have it forced on the groud, holding the deck. Which isnt the best for the grass. Otherwise they are the same.

On my walk I had it 1/2" off the ground and it made consistent contact with the grass. On my Z I built a big league knock off which completely rolls on the ground. Either way there is plenty of force to push the grass down. If you go the flap route you want something thick (at least 1/2") and make sure it's resting against the ground when you mount it up. This will ensure plenty of contact with the grass.

tryin
06-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Here are some pictures of the flap I put on my new 717A. It works pretty good, you don't see any tire marks so I would say it is close to a roller. Roller probably work better but my ground is bumpy and I would tear it up.

Edit: You will have to see my just purchsed JD 717A thead to see the pics, it won't allow me to upload them again.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-15-2009, 10:03 PM
i just bought the powerchute design flap style striper for the exmark and i dont have it yet but i will post how i like it

Power Chute Design
06-15-2009, 10:18 PM
Yes, I made it today and will paint it tomorrow (when the paint booth is empty) and ship it first thing Weds.

Thanks...Norm

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-15-2009, 11:26 PM
awsome! i really like the way it looks i think it is a great idea for the new lazer z.

nobagger
06-15-2009, 11:46 PM
anyone used both in the past???

We have a Big League lawn roller for our 36 Exmark and both of our Gravely's have a rubber flap. In my opinion the roller leaves a better, lasting strip.

4 seasons lawn&land
06-16-2009, 09:39 AM
why would a roller tear up bumpy turf? Someone said this on the last page, dont understand why that would happen.

MJB
06-16-2009, 10:25 AM
He was saying the roller would get tore up on the bumpy turf.

Advantages of the roller is they also serve as a giant scalp roller.

Disadvantage is they can damage sprinklers if the sprinklers are sticking up to much.

Grasshopper uses a rubber flap on their decks and it works great for striping.
The rubber flaps are best with employees, the roller can do a lot of damage, or can be damaged by a careless employee.

Richard Martin
06-16-2009, 11:02 AM
I've used both on the same mowers and the roller that rides the ground like the Big League Lawns roller is better. The stripes are more defined and that leads to them lasting longer.

4 seasons lawn&land
06-16-2009, 08:14 PM
i have very bumpy turf. is that a big problem. should that push me over to the flap route?

timscherer
06-17-2009, 12:53 AM
If you have a flap system, you can double up the flap to increase the strength of downforce applied to the grass. This will increase the definition creating the "stripping effect". It is an improvement from using just a single flap. Also, make sure when you place and secure the height of the mounting brackets to the back side of the deck that the flap is making contact with the ground when the deck is in its highest position. This will provide enough preload or drag when cutting at the desired height.

Richard Martin
06-17-2009, 06:02 AM
i have very bumpy turf. is that a big problem. should that push me over to the flap route?

Nah. A ground hugging roller like the Big League Lawns will just roll right over anything.

dishboy
06-17-2009, 08:06 AM
My experiment with a flap resulted in many stragglers. Maybe mine was to stiff?

greenred
06-17-2009, 01:32 PM
My experiment with a flap resulted in many stragglers. Maybe mine was to stiff?

Im confused, if your flap is passing over the grass after its been cut then I dont see how you could get stragglers?

dwost
06-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Im confused, if your flap is passing over the grass after its been cut then I dont see how you could get stragglers?

Agree.......or maybe it was actually pulling up some of the grass that was tangled or matted down that the deck couldn't suck up to be cut?

cpa4t9r
06-17-2009, 06:22 PM
Made a BL knock-off and had fantastic results. Had to use a friend's Bobcat w/out roller as a backup with much bigger deck so I mowed in my "non-striping" directions. Still had defined diagonal stripes after a month.

Now, just use my Walker which stripes like it has a roller - so if anyone's looking for a BL knockoff.....

timscherer
06-17-2009, 07:09 PM
Made a BL knock-off and had fantastic results. Had to use a friend's Bobcat w/out roller as a backup with much bigger deck so I mowed in my "non-striping" directions. Still had defined diagonal stripes after a month.

Now, just use my Walker which stripes like it has a roller - so if anyone's looking for a BL knockoff.....

What type of rollers did you use and material to fabricate the Big League replica, and where did you purchase the rollers?

cpa4t9r
06-18-2009, 10:28 AM
What type of rollers did you use and material to fabricate the Big League replica, and where did you purchase the rollers?

Wobble rollers - I used the 5/8" size. Marine supply stores if local or online. I used:

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index....categoryID=200

The rest of the parts were bought at Lowe's using Superstrut parts/fittings from the electrical supply section. Google "homemade lawn striping kit" - there is another website similar to this one that has a post with the Lowe's item numbers and everything. Used 5/8" axle and PVC spacers and lots of washers. No welding or nothing - took a couple of hours and its adjustable and easy to take on/off with clevis pin attachments. Mine weighs about 50 lbs. and is about 33 inches wide. Used 9 wobbles rollers (3" wide) and spacers and end caps to make it all work.

timscherer
06-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Wobble rollers - I used the 5/8" size. Marine supply stores if local or online. I used:

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index....categoryID=200

The rest of the parts were bought at Lowe's using Superstrut parts/fittings from the electrical supply section. Google "homemade lawn striping kit" - there is another website similar to this one that has a post with the Lowe's item numbers and everything. Used 5/8" axle and PVC spacers and lots of washers. No welding or nothing - took a couple of hours and its adjustable and easy to take on/off with clevis pin attachments. Mine weighs about 50 lbs. and is about 33 inches wide. Used 9 wobbles rollers (3" wide) and spacers and end caps to make it all work.

Thanks cpa4t9r, I will check it out. I appreciate you sharing that information, do you have any pictures of your stripe kit?

cpa4t9r
06-18-2009, 05:44 PM
If not mine, I'll get you some of the pics from the plan I followed along w/the parts list. For some reason can't get to my bookmark.

timscherer
06-18-2009, 07:25 PM
If not mine, I'll get you some of the pics from the plan I followed along w/the parts list. For some reason can't get to my bookmark.

Thanks, that would be great. I googled for the parts list and could not find any good leads, but I did find the rollers you used through your link.

cpa4t9r
06-22-2009, 01:18 PM
Thanks, that would be great. I googled for the parts list and could not find any good leads, but I did find the rollers you used through your link.

Posted this in another thread - hope this helps:

Wobble rollers - buy these at a marine supply store - try to get smaller inside diameter holes. The rollers were 3" wide. Nine rollers = 27" width... a 1/4" gap between rollers adds 2".

Lowe's Parts - the Lowe's part number is in parenthesis... you should be able to find these parts at the store using this number. (Cannot say same for website.)

(71499) Axle, $6.97, Qty 1: 1/2" x 36" steel rod. Cut this to fit. $6.97

(20281) Strut, $11.97, Qty 1: Half Slot 14 Gauge Channel. Superstrut B-1400-HS. 10' section. Cut two pieces to length, one for the upper strut and one for the lower strut in the strut assembly. Bolt these together with 3/8" bolts, flat washers, lock washers and lock nuts.

(47816) Nylon Cone Nuts, $3.96 for 5-pack, Qty 3 packs: Nylon Cone Nuts, Thomas & Betts ZCM100 3/8", Lowe's describes as "Channel Cone Nut 3/8"". These are the nuts that fit inside the strut channels - and accept bolts to hold the brackets to the struts.

(45685) Inside Right Corner Bracket, $2.84, Qty 6 or more: Thomas & Betts ZAB205. These are right angle brackets that are pre-drilled with 1/2" holes (perfect for 1/2" axle) in each side. You need 6 of these for the strut - 4 to hold the axle and 2 to go to whatever mounting system you use. I used 2 on my tractor for mounting the striper, for a total of 8 on mine. Note that one side of the bracket is longer than the other - this comes into play later when you mount the wheels. The short side barely clears the wobble rollers, so you put the long side on the axle and the short side mounts to the strut. You'll see.

(138657) Clevis Pin, $2.82, Qty 2: 1/2" x 2" Clevis Pin. These are used on my striper to fasten the striper to the brackets I mounted on my tractor. The mounting system allows the striper to move up and down on an axis - the striper is not fixed in place. I think this is critical.

(138719) Hitch Pin Clip, $0.68, Qty 2: Also known as Hair Pin Cotter Pin. These lock the clevis pins in place and allow you to mount and dismount the striper with no tools.

(137271) Axle/Push Nut, $1.51, Qty 2: These are the last things that go on the axle assembly - the hold it all together. Mine are black and can be seen on the ends of the axle.

That is all the major stuff that really took me the bulk of time to find and purchase. Of course you need lots of other stuff. Your mounting system may be different than mine, requiring your own hardware solution. Make sure your striper doesn't sit too "vertical". I think mine is at about 45 degrees or maybe just a little more.

You'll need a good supply of washers, bolts, nuts, lock nuts, lock washers, etc. These are used all over the place.

Use 1” PVC as a spacer between rollers – this is how you keep the wobble rollers in place so they don’t move about on the axle. I think the distance between the insides of two side-by side wobble rollers was something like 3/4 inches… so I cut a bunch of spacers that would keep the wheels apart, allowing a gap about ¼”. When you assemble the whole thing, you’ll see what I mean. You start in the middle and work your way out to each end, spacing your wheels apart with pvc spacers and washers. You use some extra washers where the brackets mount to the axle rod.

This is the outline that I followed to get the majority down and modified for my specific application. I used 5/8" axle for more weight and can't remember if I got 5/8" wobbles or 3/4". Only thing is for the axle brackets (superstrut), the holes are 1/2" so you can to drill them out to fit. I used axle rings (tighten with allen wrench) because I couldn't find end caps for 5/8", only 1/2". These are also the pics that I used as a guide - all of the info made it really easy to do.

Hope that helps.

timscherer
06-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Thanks cpa4t9r, that is impressive. I will build it when I have some time, I will let you know how it turned out.

Thanks again.