PDA

View Full Version : Clean Up Rates

bigslick7878
06-15-2009, 04:25 PM
I'm sure this has been gone over before,but how much does everyone charge for basic clean up per man per hour?

Have a pretty extensive job that will require lots of tree/shrub removal and just general clean up of a forest that surrounds a house that hasn't been taken care of in YEARS.

I was over there today trying to price it out but I came to the conclusion that is going to be pretty much impossible with the condition of the property.

Talked to the customer and they said the hourly rate will be fine,but at how much?

Lots of weeds overgrown areas,possible poison ivy who knows where and all that good stuff.

I have an idea of how much I will charge them but wanted to get some feedback into what the market rate is.I don't want to tell them a rate and have it too high and risk losing the job,just whatever the market will bear.

Haven't done one of these in a while.

david shumaker
06-15-2009, 06:20 PM
On a job like that where its hard to figure how many hours it will take, I give a daily rate and shoot for about $300.00 a day or more depending on what kind of equipment I have to use. If it runs into another day, I prorate the second day if it's less than a full day.

If I'm not busy like in the winter, I just take what I can get if it's reasonable.

FYS777
06-15-2009, 08:48 PM
I'm sure this has been gone over before,but how much does everyone charge for basic clean up per man per hour?

Have a pretty extensive job that will require lots of tree/shrub removal and just general clean up of a forest that surrounds a house that hasn't been taken care of in YEARS.

I was over there today trying to price it out but I came to the conclusion that is going to be pretty much impossible with the condition of the property.

Talked to the customer and they said the hourly rate will be fine,but at how much?

Lots of weeds overgrown areas,possible poison ivy who knows where and all that good stuff.

I have an idea of how much I will charge them but wanted to get some feedback into what the market rate is.I don't want to tell them a rate and have it too high and risk losing the job,just whatever the market will bear.

Haven't done one of these in a while.

45 an hour per guy, plus dump haul fee if needed, that here, for average. don't know what your market is????

FYS777
06-15-2009, 08:53 PM
On a job like that where its hard to figure how many hours it will take, I give a daily rate and shoot for about $300.00 a day or more depending on what kind of equipment I have to use. If it runs into another day, I prorate the second day if it's less than a full day.

If I'm not busy like in the winter, I just take what I can get if it's reasonable.

a daily rate of 300 hun, is low, figure if you mow 20 places for 30 bucks a place is 600 per day why charge less????

shovelracer
06-15-2009, 09:01 PM
It costs me 300 just to start work for a day let alone actually making money.

bigslick7878
06-15-2009, 09:28 PM
45 an hour per guy, plus dump haul fee if needed, that here, for average. don't know what your market is????

I figured my market is about in the $40-50 range,but rather than me making 10 phone calls to find out I wanted to get some general responses here....lot easier.I was going to charge about $45 and hour plus hauling fees,but am worried about someone who is desperate coming in lower than that.It is probably about 60-80 hours of work so I might just tell them $40 to be sure...just dont want to cut myself short if I can get more.

I definitely don't have the overhead that it costs me $300 before I started working every day,so it isn't going to be anywhere close to that much before labor.

I know one thing,I am having an allergic reaction to something in their yard and have red bumps all over my arms from where I brushed up against a pine tree today.Its giving me chest pains and everything and I can almost feel it running through my body.

After the initial visit on Friday I was covered from my knees to my armpits with these bumps,thought it was from something I ate but went back today 1 time completely covered up to measure( no issues) and back a second time NOT covered (big mistake) and the bumps reappeared within an hour of me coming home the second time.Up until last night they were all over,but I took some Benadryl and 8 hours later when I woke up this morning completely gone like nothing was there.....I was in shock.

I think I might need to charge the extra $5 for hazard pay,this stuff is a nightmare.

Cuttinitclose
06-15-2009, 09:42 PM
I know one thing,I am having an allergic reaction to something in their yard and have red bumps all over my arms from where I brushed up against a pine tree today.Its giving me chest pains and everything and I can almost feel it running through my body.

After the initial visit on Friday I was covered from my knees to my armpits with these bumps,thought it was from something I ate but went back today 1 time completely covered up to measure( no issues) and back a second time NOT covered (big mistake) and the bumps reappeared within an hour of me coming home the second time.Up until last night they were all over,but I took some Benadryl and 8 hours later when I woke up this morning completely gone like nothing was there.....I was in shock.

I think I might need to charge the extra $5 for hazard pay,this stuff is a nightmare.

It may be hot but, jeans, long shirt, hat, boots, long socks, saftey glasses and mask if needed. Id rather sweat than itch myself all night.

bigslick7878
06-15-2009, 10:20 PM
It may be hot but, jeans, long shirt, hat, boots, long socks, saftey glasses and mask if needed. Id rather sweat than itch myself all night.

I hear ya,I am going full commando style when I go back next time.I will be covered from head to toe.

At least I will drop a few pounds sweating like a pig.:laugh:

MileHigh
06-16-2009, 02:12 AM
charge 45 per man hour, and waive the debris hauling disposal charges if your worried about someone cutting your throat.

david shumaker
06-16-2009, 08:22 PM
a daily rate of 300 hun, is low, figure if you mow 20 places for 30 bucks a place is 600 per day why charge less????

Your're right. I don't go out looking for cleanups, but will do it in the winter or if it's slow. Most people around here won't pay much for cleanup work. The $300.00 is for me working by myself with no help.

Most of my yards are $40.00 to $50.00 so I can make more mowing, but I can't do 20 in a day working solo.

david shumaker
06-16-2009, 08:30 PM
I hear ya,I am going full commando style when I go back next time.I will be covered from head to toe.

At least I will drop a few pounds sweating like a pig.:laugh:

I take a bar of soap and wash my arms, face and hands often to help prevent getting poison oak or ivy and rashes. Soap up and wash often or you can end up going to the doctor and being out of work for awhile.*trucewhiteflag*

FYS777
06-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Your're right. I don't go out looking for cleanups, but will do it in the winter or if it's slow. Most people around here won't pay much for cleanup work. The $300.00 is for me working by myself with no help.

Most of my yards are $40.00 to $50.00 so I can make more mowing, but I can't do 20 in a day working solo.

well if you did 10 a day you still would make more and be easy on you then doing clean ups, so charge what it would be for your mowing

bigslick7878
06-16-2009, 09:16 PM
I take a bar of soap and wash my arms, face and hands often to help prevent getting poison oak or ivy and rashes. Soap up and wash often or you can end up going to the doctor and being out of work for awhile.*trucewhiteflag*

Yeah I have some Ivy block I haven't used from last year still laying around,I will put that on under the clothes "just in case"

Nothing worse than Poison Ivy,and I don't even have to touch the stuff just be around it and I get it bad.

JDiepstra
06-16-2009, 10:03 PM
It costs me 300 just to start work for a day let alone actually making money.

Wow thats a useless post! :hammerhead:

JDiepstra
06-16-2009, 10:07 PM
well if you did 10 a day you still would make more and be easy on you then doing clean ups, so charge what it would be for your mowing

The point is different jobs often bring different pricing. I would say that I'd charge about $50 per hour, but I guarantee if the person is getting multiple bids, someone will lowball that for sure. The goal will be to sell that you can do the job better and faster than someone charging less per hour because you have the experience and the tools to do the job properly.

terrapro
06-17-2009, 07:41 AM
I hate when customers ask me how much I charge per hour. $45+ per labor hour, they always freak out. I own a legitimate business that pays insurance, licenses, and taxes. What they don't understand is it costs me $32+ an hour just to get a guy on site to work. Multiple trucks and trailers on site all loaded up with equipment to do the job right and they think I should be charging $15 per hour :hammerhead:

Chrysalis
06-17-2009, 02:48 PM
Ok 300 per day is definitely fair per man. It just seems like a shocker when you give the person the invoice and its 3000+ for "two guys working for a couple days" They never think about insurance or anything else. Maybe tell them that so they will understand? :)

How about when you do that cleanup labor at your rate plus special services, lick squirt, fert?

Do you charge extra separately on the invoice for Fertilization, Pesticide, Pre- Emergent?

david shumaker
06-17-2009, 06:21 PM
Ok 300 per day is definitely fair per man. It just seems like a shocker when you give the person the invoice and its 3000+ for "two guys working for a couple days" They never think about insurance or anything else. Maybe tell them that so they will understand? :)

How about when you do that cleanup labor at your rate plus special services, lick squirt, fert?

Do you charge extra separately on the invoice for Fertilization, Pesticide, Pre- Emergent? I would add that separately on the invoice.

Some customers don't understand that you have expenses. They think that you keep everything as profit. I try to give a flat rate and don't tell them how long I think it will take. If I give them an hourly rate, they usually think I'm crazy. The customer doesn't know how long it will take to do the job, however, I did have one that timed me and accused me of trying to rip him off when he figured the hourly rate. He agreed on the flat rate to complete the job and then said I was charging too much per hour.