PDA

View Full Version : Transformers

Lightsonlyman
06-15-2009, 06:29 PM
Hello everyone, I am a newby to Lawnsite as I just found it on the net. I am a "lighting only guy." I am a licensed electrician and have been doing landscape lighting, security lighting, moonlighting and interior lighting for 16 years. I wonder if someone may be able to help me in finding a new supplier for low-voltage transformers. I have used many in the past, MDL, Nightscaping, Unique, Pantech, Hadco ...etc.

I like the affordability and ease of use of the MDL and Pantech and have had no problems with either. Also like the Unique, but they are a little pricey. Nightscaping xformers are o.k. but that's the only one I've ever had a problem with. I realize any transformer can have an issue, but I am merely looking for an easy to use, multi-tap with a good price.

Can anybody recommend suppliers? All responses are appreciated.

Thanks!

JoeyD
06-15-2009, 07:15 PM
You get what you pay for and you you know with Unque you are going to get a quality in house built unit that is easy to use, multiple styles of units including inverted, horizontal, in ground, Home Line and Multi Tap, Stainless Steel, Weathered Brass, secondary protection or none, etc....Most importantly every Unique unit comes with a life time warranty! They are all true single core units so no load ballancing on the common side, UL/ETL approved!

Of course I am a bit partial...hahaha

Welcome to Lawnsite!!! Lots of good stuff floating around here!! Let me know if you have any questions regarding Unqiue products!!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-15-2009, 07:36 PM
Vista's new line of transformers has been greatly improved over previous versions. You might want to take a look at them. Around the same price point as Nightscaping's and a bit less than CAST.

Lightsonlyman
06-15-2009, 07:36 PM
Thanks JoeyD, I appreciate your response. Does Unique offer a "recession rate?" LOL

Lightsonlyman
06-15-2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks James, do you recommend a supplier for the Vista trans.?

David Gretzmier
06-15-2009, 07:42 PM
LIGHTSONLYMAN-

I've reviewed a couple of trans in the past couple of months, check out the Volt and copper moon threads, along with a few ryco units a couple years back. I think the reviews speak for themselves.

I've installed more FX and Nightscaping than anything, and I too have had issues with Nightscaping, more voltage drop and timer issues, than anything else. FX makes an excellent trans, although it can be pricey when compared to Volt, Copper moon and Ryco.

Lightsonlyman
06-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks David, can you recommend suppliers for those units?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Thanks James, do you recommend a supplier for the Vista trans.?

Go to Vista's website and they will have links to their distributors. I know that John Deere Landscapes is a large distributor of Vista products.

JoeyD
06-15-2009, 07:57 PM
Thanks JoeyD, I appreciate your response. Does Unique offer a "recession rate?" LOL

hahaha No problem....I cant offer you a recession rate but I can off you great quality products and the best onsite, online, and phone service in all of the industry!!!!! :weightlifter:

Alan B
06-15-2009, 10:43 PM
Lightsonlyman,

www.LandscapeLightingWorld.com is where you can get the Volt transformers David G was talking about (DG, thank you).

We do have the lowest "recession buster" prices on professional transformers that I am aware of anywhere.

Volt transformers have:
-Toroidal cores (run cooler, quieter, are more efficient and last longer than laminated magnetic core transformers), stainless steel cabinets, 12-22 volt multitaps, separate circuits for each 300w with dedicated toggle switch breakers, built-in photocell and timer receptacles, each tap can hold up 6 runs. Very reliable (never had one returned or failed since we began selling them), consistent voltage, great professional transformer...and in my opinion the best value you can find.
10 year warranty
UL Listed

300, 600w, 900w, 1200w, photocells, timers, immediate shipping, lowest prices anywhere.

Give me a call and I would be happy to take care of whatever you need. (dedicated lighting pro's should always call me as we can always take care of things that are not listed or priced as needed on the website).

Sincerely,

Alan B

David Gretzmier
06-15-2009, 11:04 PM
Alan is a good guy, he has treated me well. I will buy from him again. To get to an FX trans, I know that Ewing irrigation sells them, but I do no know if there is one in your area. They also have a 10 year warranty. Ryco's you'll have to look for, and if you'll read my thread on them they have photo-cell issues, but they do have a replacement part available now. If you want to PM me, I can tell you where to get that part. I am not currently installing any more ryco's until I get another year on the 1/2 dozen or so I have out there .

Pro-Scapes
06-16-2009, 12:12 AM
Lightsonlyman has to be with Southern Nights am I right ? Was that you I met at SOLD that day in Hattiesburg ?

I have not seen the Volt trans but I can speak up about the coppermoon unit. Its been a good unit(the new ones are made by Jefferson Electric) for us when we need a budget unit and in these tighter times it seems to be more often. Give Doug a shout on these. He is a great guy to deal with.

When I need a pool and spa rated unit I run to Unique and also if I need an in ground unit.

Still my go to unit when I have a need for custom controls and flexibility I go with the gambino units. I know some of you frown at the price but they are still less than cast units and the half volt steps make a huge difference.

I have had it with MDL issues from any supplier. I have got bad units out of the box from Kichler, Cast and coppermoon. Doug at Coppermoon is the only one who admitted there was an issue with the quality in recent years with MDL and made the switch to Jefferson Electric

PSUTURFGEEK
06-16-2009, 10:08 PM
Vista and Fx have very similar transformers, the advantage Fx is they are about 50-60 dollars less for a 900 watt for example and have way more room for wire, the other upside is you can load a Fx transformer up to full capicity without having to worry like so many other transformers.
The entire Fx line is now available at JDL I'm being told.

Lite4
06-16-2009, 11:11 PM
We just made the decision to go 100% Unique on everything we can and we raised our prices across the board.* We are not going to compete on price anymore.* We install a better product and we do things and add value that others don't and frankly can't in my local area.* Our presentation is education and helping our clients realize their need to overcome fixture fixation.* We approach our customers from the standpoint of buying design expertise and looking at the fixtures as merely just tools.* Tools to achieve the perfection they are looking for.* If they are looking for cheap or are still fixated on the fixtures after we try to educate them we will just refer them to another lighting company that "sells fixtures".* So far,* I haven't had to.That being said, from my experience, Unique makes the best transformers I have used, hands down.* I am intrigued with the Gambino unit and knowing Mike, I am sure it is an incredible unit.* Frankly I dont' think his prices are out of line at all for his units.

TXNSLighting
06-16-2009, 11:28 PM
We just made the decision to go 100% Unique on everything we can and we raised our prices across the board.* We are not going to compete on price anymore.* We install a better product and we do things and add value that others don't and frankly can't in my local area.* Our presentation is education and helping our clients realize their need to overcome fixture fixation.* We approach our customers from the standpoint of buying design expertise and looking at the fixtures as merely just tools.* Tools to achieve the perfection they are looking for.* If they are looking for cheap or are still fixated on the fixtures after we try to educate them we will just refer them to another lighting company that "sells fixtures".* So far,* I haven't had to.That being said, from my experience, Unique makes the best transformers I have used, hands down.* I am intrigued with the Gambino unit and knowing Mike, I am sure it is an incredible unit.* Frankly I dont' think his prices are out of line at all for his units.

Welcome to the all Unique world!! Its a great place!

JoeyD
06-17-2009, 10:45 AM

Might be the best thing I have ever heard on this site!!!

Welcome to the all Unique world!! Its a great place!

hahahaha.....Your an awesome supporter Ryan!!! :clapping:

TXNSLighting
06-18-2009, 12:18 AM
Might be the best thing I have ever heard on this site!!!

hahahaha.....Your an awesome supporter Ryan!!! :clapping:

You know it!! Man i should be on payroll!

JoeyD
06-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Speaking of Payroll! You guys in Texas now have an official Unique Lighting Factory Rep to beat up on!!! His name is Clark and he is based out of Houston.....Great guy!!!!!

On top of that we hired Ray Gonzalez in southern California who previously worked as the LA/OC Rep for FX Luminaire!!! Ray is a stud!!

I will make a more formal post on our Unique forum......

TXNSLighting
06-18-2009, 11:50 AM
Speaking of Payroll! You guys in Texas now have an official Unique Lighting Factory Rep to beat up on!!! His name is Clark and he is based out of Houston.....Great guy!!!!!

On top of that we hired Ray Gonzalez in southern California who previously worked as the LA/OC Rep for FX Luminaire!!! Ray is a stud!!

I will make a more formal post on our Unique forum......

Ha glad i could help!