PDA

View Full Version : Renovating Back Yard

MeadowbrookYard
06-15-2009, 06:30 PM
This is my situation.

A little bit more than half my back yard is grass less. This is because of a raised flower bed and pool. They have both been removed. The rest of the yard has some nice area of grass and other areas where you can see the ground in between clump of grass. I just had all of the dirt hauled away from my back yard which left two nice big tractor impressions in the grass. They are about a foot deep and are raised up on the sides with dirt tracks in between. I dont have the money to just resod the whole yard. So I was told that the first thing I need to do is get a roller and roll the yard where the tractor drove back flat. Then fill in the tracks with some nice fill dirt and get the ground back to level. Next step is to rent aerator and aerate the whole back yard. After that rent a thatcher and thatch the whole back yard. At this point they told me reseed and over seed the whole back yard including the two places where there is no grass at all. Then fertilize and begin to water it like crazy. Is this on the right track or should I do something else?

Thanks for the help.

White Gardens
06-16-2009, 02:34 AM
Rent a heavy tiller, then re-seed. It should take a lot less time then all the steps you listed.

Stillwater
06-16-2009, 02:53 AM
I agree with white gardens

MeadowbrookYard
06-16-2009, 12:23 PM
Well I do have access to a big tiller. The guy that got rid of all the dirt in my back yard with his small tractor has the tiller on the back. My question with the tilling is, do you simply till the entire area, then re seed? Or do you have to roll the ground so its nice and flat? After tilling wont there be a lot of the grass thats already in the back yard sticking up out of the dirt? Is that ok? What do I need to do once I till up the yard and have the overturned dirt with grass sticking out of it? Just want to make sure I do it right. I like the tilling idea though, like you said it seems a lot easier then all the other steps as long as it produces and even grass yard.