PDA

View Full Version : WB woes on steep hill

IAFFbuckeye
06-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Hey all new to using WB in general and have a few questions. I have a pretty steep front yard which is very large. I bought a Scag 36 WB and have been mowing it mostly side to side. I have noticed when the right side is facing the top of hill I am battling to keep it straight and having wheel slippage at times. But going back the other way its a breeze. Not sure if that makes sense, but I have to crank down on the right pistol grip when the right side is high just to keep her straight. But when left wheel is high I barely have to touch the pull grip and there is no wheel slippage. Is it due to the weight of the machine being heavier on one side or is it as simple as having to tighten some belt. It has me really stratching my head. Hopefully someone can point in the right direction :dizzy:

hitechlm
06-15-2009, 06:54 PM
is it a dual hydro, or a single hydro. If its dual check the hydro fluid for the side that seems to give you trouble.

IAFFbuckeye
06-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Its not a hydro its a belt drive, sorry should have mentioned that.

hitechlm
06-15-2009, 08:57 PM
im not familiar with belt drives, but you might have a worn or stretched belt. Im probably
wrong though,

STIHL GUY
06-15-2009, 09:03 PM
your brake could be looser on that one side??:confused::confused:

kaferhaus
06-15-2009, 11:43 PM
The discharge chute is on that side, all the rotating mass and airflow is pushing the mower left. On a steep hill it takes very little "thrust" to put the mower off balance.

IAFFbuckeye
06-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Thanks guys for the replies, that makes sense with the chute and airflow making it off balance to the one side, guess I will just have to work around it then.

ALC-GregH
06-17-2009, 03:25 PM
The discharge chute is on that side, all the rotating mass and airflow is pushing the mower left. On a steep hill it takes very little "thrust" to put the mower off balance.

that's a good one. :D I think it's the longer left front caster arm that causes the issue. It's the only thing that is not equal from side to side. The air flow coming from the discharge is not going to push the mower up hill.

kaferhaus
06-17-2009, 04:18 PM
that's a good one. :D I think it's the longer left front caster arm that causes the issue. It's the only thing that is not equal from side to side. The air flow coming from the discharge is not going to push the mower up hill.

It's not pusing it up hill, Greg. It's pushing down hill when it's already at it's "balance point". I had one that did the same thing when you got it on a steep enough hill. Chute down it tracked fine, chute up and it lost grip.

david shumaker
06-17-2009, 06:09 PM
My 36" belt drive Exmark does the same thing.

hitechlm
06-18-2009, 12:28 AM
i dont think it because of the discharge. I guess you pay to have your wb's wind tunnel tested?

kaferhaus
06-18-2009, 12:31 AM
The way we confirmed it was to put a mulch plate on it. It immediately quit doing it. Now I'm "assumng" that the bank has the mower tilted to near it's balance point in the first place. At that point it takes very little for it to lose grip.

topsites
06-18-2009, 12:36 AM
I'll tell you a little something coming from someone who's lost more than one mower on hills.

Whatever you do, don't find yourself down slope of that machine.
Side to side is fine, but when turning go DOWN!
Do not turn going UP because at some point in that turn you'll end up below the machine!

Going down the hill, most any which way should do all right.
But coming up you want to come in at some kind of an angle,
you want to find yourself at least some kind of aside so don't go straight up.

Because if that mower ever comes loose, several ways it can happen, one is tire slip and is self-explanatory.
The other thou is sudden tire GRIP, when for some reason it grabs hard traction and maybe a power surge but then
the front rears itself in the air and the whole thing about turns itself up and over, if you are below it ...

So when either of that happens the last place you want to be is underneath.
Always stay aside or on top.

Peace out

kaferhaus
06-18-2009, 12:43 AM
I'll tell you a little something coming from someone who's lost more than one mower on hills.

Whatever you do, don't find yourself down slope of that machine.
Side to side is fine, but when turning go DOWN!
Do not turn going UP because at some point in that turn you'll end up below the machine!

Going down the hill, most any which way should do all right.
But coming up you want to come in at some kind of an angle,
you want to find yourself at least some kind of aside so don't go straight up.

Because if that mower ever comes loose, several ways it can happen, one is tire slip and is self-explanatory.
The other thou is sudden tire GRIP, when for some reason it grabs hard traction and maybe a power surge but then
the front rears itself in the air and the whole thing about turns itself up and over, if you are below it ...

So when either of that happens the last place you want to be is underneath.
Always stay aside or on top.

Peace out

yeah I was that stupid.... once! funny now but it wasn't then.

IAFFbuckeye
06-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, maybe I will have to try the mulching plate idea, I will try anything so I dont have to squeeze the right pistol grip to death. Good point on not going directly up the hill, didnt think about it before and hate to admit that I did go directly up the hill a few times luckily without incident.