PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyway to increase blade speed on a 42" JD deck?

c3ucwb1
06-15-2009, 06:41 PM
I need faster blade speed to cut and blow clippings into my bagger. Are there any aftermarket pulleys or anything of that sort that I could swap out?

zman2307
06-15-2009, 11:08 PM
do you really want to be liable for modifying your mower? Buy a commercial mower that's built to run a bagger commercially. It's a whole lot cheaper than a lawsuit from rigging something to work such as overdriving your deck. Not to mention the spindles aren't designed to be overdriven.

4.3mudder
06-16-2009, 01:17 AM
Ya, spindles have a max RPM to be operated at, anymore they will likely fly apart.

Stillwater
06-16-2009, 01:24 AM
I need faster blade speed to cut and blow clippings into my bagger. Are there any aftermarket pulleys or anything of that sort that I could swap out?

running blades faster than manufacture spec. is dangerous

Tinkerer
06-16-2009, 03:55 AM
I did that on a Toro Groundsmaster mower I had. All it did was drag the RPMs down on the engine when it was in taller grass. Installing a 1/2" smaller pulley on the mower deck or a 1/2" larger pulley on the engine can increase mower deck speed a lot more than you think. An insurance company can deny a claim in some situations.

LushGreenLawn
06-16-2009, 08:29 AM
I would not put any money into modifying a residential mower thatr is being used for commercial use. It is going to need replacing before the end of the season anyway.

Richard Martin
06-16-2009, 10:37 AM
Just make sure the engine is turning the maximum allowable RPM. It should tell you in your engine's owners manual what the max RPM are. It's amazing how many homeowner type mowers come from the factory not turning enough RPM.