PDA

View Full Version : Losing lighting jobs :(

Ramairfreak98ss
06-15-2009, 07:47 PM
Well this past month has just stunk!

We had a couple lighting jobs slip away to other lowballers or just someone flatout underbidding us. I have no idea who they are though.

This year we purchased a Unique lighting demo kit and have offered free 12v lighting demos. We've done it in the past "using someone elses" but its been hard to get the kit this year.

The demo usually seals the deal with what the customer wants, expects, desires and they understand upfront the quality of what they are purchasing without us just mailing them a quotation for 1-3k and not knowing anything more than that they can buy 12v lights at home cheapo for $129 from Malibu lol.

This year we've pushed the lighting a lot stronger, longer demos, more lights at the homes, much more detail to the sales pitch and know how with the customer from start to finish....hate to say it seems its just not paying off.

We've done over a dozen light demos residentially in the last two months, which was more than we did all last year total. Yet one decided to keep his whole "junk" system and upgrade to a good transformer, theyre happy though :) ONE actually got lights installed, but the whole system was only 4 path lights and a 360w Unique iforce transformer, 1 run, 4 lights, simple install so it was a cheapy job.

we had one from last month that they just finally got back to us today by email after multiple emails, messages left after issuing a quotation and they said they decided to use another landscaper for the lighting work because it was much cheaper.

We were at $217 a fixture total for all brass fixtures, 840 transformer, lots of wire, two installed in different gutters, and NINE brass pathway lights, 5 on each side of the paver walkway around the side of the house with plants everywhere. Needless to say, very few of the lights would be a simple install.

We also gave them a quote of about $940 after a $200 bulk discount for all of their landscape trimming, 9 yards of mulching, weeding, a drain install and repair and repairing a frost heave in the paver walkway 1st turn that was caused by a clogged drain underneath.... THAT portion of the price was probably $500 less before the discount than i normally would have done it for but I'd rather him sign off for the $940 for all of that work plus the lighting. Someone else was enough cheaper that our free demo and nearly 5 hours worth of time with him and the wife was wiped out :/ Just a bummer, i guess its the economy, everyone blames it so i will too:confused: