PDA

View Full Version : Experiences with box trucks versus trailers?

AllAmericanlawn
06-15-2009, 09:14 PM
I was considering buying a Isuzu NPR box truck. It seems like a no brainer. More security, no loading - unloading at start and end of day, free up space in the garage. Just wanted your thoughts and experiences with a box truck versus a trailer.

BJWLAWNCARE
06-15-2009, 09:44 PM
where do you put the clippings in a box truck?

AllAmericanlawn
06-15-2009, 10:09 PM
I never bag clippings. If i clean out the decks i dont have enough clippings to worry about. A small box would do.

ashelton
06-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Do you not trim hedges, or trees? That is the biggest down fall I could ever see.

AllAmericanlawn
06-15-2009, 10:14 PM
Oh, forgot to mention gas mileage. I would get about 15+ mpg with a NPR diesel. I only get about 9 mpg with my truck.

BJWLAWNCARE
06-15-2009, 10:20 PM
you couldn't do that in this area. In pa the grass won't allow you to mulch. It bogs down a 17hp kawasaki. I guess you would use ramps with a box truck to get in and out with mowers, or a lift perhaps? Good luck!

AllAmericanlawn
06-15-2009, 10:20 PM
The box truck would be strictly for lawn care use only. Dont do much landscaping. Still got a trailer for when i do. 95% of business is mowing.

Scotland Yard and Garden
06-15-2009, 11:14 PM
Hey. I have run a npr for 3 years now. Intially I had a lift gate that came with the truck. For landscaping that was great for loading and unloading but dangerous for mowers, you had to turn sideways on the gate and then raise/lower yourself. I since have had a dovetail installed. It is fantastic for lawn care. Everything for lawn work is stored in the truck so its ready when you are. I had extra racks installed to hold my extended hedge trimmers and ladders. That is crucial for the add on extras when clients ask (or neighbors). Also as far as clippings go. No problem. Just cary either brute trash barrels or heavy duty trash bags. Debris from pruning jobs goes in the front of the box with the mowers behind them, I can't tell you how many times we have gone to the landfill with the truck full top to bottom with debris/leaves/prunnings etc.

Also for transporting plant material there is no wind burn or chance of it getting stolen while at another job.

I used the truck and trailer bit for a long time and still do for heavy landscaping but for mowing, enclosed cabover is the absolute best. (Before any one ask I have had over 15 yards of mulch (by the bag) in the truck for mulch jobs - they cost more that way $5 more per yard but, your labor time is cut into half at least and there no mess to cleanup. Hope this helps
Posted via Mobile Device

hchase86
06-17-2009, 08:10 PM
I'd just like to suggest that if anyone is interested in purchasing a used box truck for use for their buisness, Uhaul sells out their old rental equipment and they are priced relatively good and inpretty good condtion. I got a used one for my lawn mowing business and have had nothing but ease since then!

AllAmericanlawn
06-17-2009, 09:33 PM
thanks for the tip. I was interested in the isuzu npr or cab over style. Does uhaul have those?

mpaq
07-25-2009, 03:57 PM
Hey. I have run a npr for 3 years now. Intially I had a lift gate that came with the truck. For landscaping that was great for loading and unloading but dangerous for mowers, you had to turn sideways on the gate and then raise/lower yourself. I since have had a dovetail installed. It is fantastic for lawn care. Everything for lawn work is stored in the truck so its ready when you are. I had extra racks installed to hold my extended hedge trimmers and ladders. That is crucial for the add on extras when clients ask (or neighbors). Also as far as clippings go. No problem. Just cary either brute trash barrels or heavy duty trash bags. Debris from pruning jobs goes in the front of the box with the mowers behind them, I can't tell you how many times we have gone to the landfill with the truck full top to bottom with debris/leaves/prunnings etc.

Also for transporting plant material there is no wind burn or chance of it getting stolen while at another job.

I used the truck and trailer bit for a long time and still do for heavy landscaping but for mowing, enclosed cabover is the absolute best. (Before any one ask I have had over 15 yards of mulch (by the bag) in the truck for mulch jobs - they cost more that way $5 more per yard but, your labor time is cut into half at least and there no mess to cleanup. Hope this helps
Posted via Mobile Device

What is "dovetail". I have a boxtruck also with a liftgate, but I am looking for solutions for loading a bigger z's on the truck. My liftgae is limited in size. What have you done on yours?
Posted via Mobile Device

pjonesco
07-26-2009, 01:56 AM
We put all of our trash in the front of the box truck. It can hold 4 times what one of those little tonka toy 6-8ft beds can hold and have plenty of room for the 60" and 36".

South Florida Lawns
07-27-2009, 01:35 AM
Down south they are the way to go. If you trim stuff all the time you really don't have enough to bag, for us all clippings are raked outta the beds and mulched by the mowers. For palms and tree trimmings they are picked up with an open trailer or in the dump truck.

Deffinately the way to go around here.

rusty_keg_3
07-27-2009, 06:06 PM
Well, i like the idea, something tells me that you will keep your truck, but keep the trailer too... If the truck breaks down you have no way to work...