PDA

View Full Version : Need a grease gun

tryin
06-15-2009, 10:49 PM
Well since I have a mower of my own I need to purchase a grease gun. Any recommendations on a reasonably priced yet quality grease gun? Or do you just go to Tractor Supply and buy one and all is good?

WH401
06-15-2009, 10:58 PM
Lincoln makes the best and most reliable grease guns IMO. I had bought a grease gun from Advance Auto because I needed something with a squeeze handle so I could hold the gun and pump at the same time to grease the U-joint on my truck. The POS kept loosing it's prime between each use so I bought a Lincoln 1134 off Amazon for 31.00 including free super saver shipping. That's the best price I can find for that thing. On NorthernTools.com your looking at close to $50 including shipping for that same model. I've used it twice since I got it and it never lost it's prime, it's one of the nicest grease guns I've used.

Toy2
06-15-2009, 11:05 PM
I got one from VatoZone, under $10.00, small, takes small tubes.........I must have had a old tube of grease, because it was clogged, had to clean it to get it to work........you get what you pay for, it works for me, if I had more than one mower, I would spend the money on a nice one....

marcuslawnguy
06-15-2009, 11:09 PM
I got a lucas pistol grip gun from home depot or lowes and that thing is awesome. harbor freight has a grease gun hose/fitting kit that comes with 5-6 different kinds of attachments to get into tough spots and is perfect.

jeffham
06-16-2009, 12:36 AM
Picked up a battery operated lincoln last year under a $100 and love it. they make greasing easy. harbor freight has one on sale occasionaly for about $50. if you have much greasing to do they are worth it.
Posted via Mobile Device

CAT powered
06-16-2009, 01:03 AM
Heavy equipment guy popping in cause I saw a grease gun topic:

I like the Lincoln battery powered grease guns. With as many fittings as my equipment has it probably cuts my greasing time in half and makes it much less of a PITA to grease everything so it gets done more often and keeps the stuff in better shape. Just make sure to keep your battery charged up and keep a fresh battery on hand for a spare.

kaferhaus
06-16-2009, 01:12 AM
For just one mower I'd get one that takes the small cartridges WITH the flexible hose attachment

We use a ceiling mounted, air operated gun on a 100' hose connected to a 15 gallon barrel of grease. Lasts about 6 months.... but we have a few hundred grease fittings LOL

topsites
06-16-2009, 01:45 AM
Oh yeah I have an electric AND an air-powered one too, but I found neither of those work worth a crap,
to me they're all just a great (but expensive) invention that works great for a while and then no more.

So get a manual one, bit more labor but a whole lot less parts that can break and if it does, it can be fixed.
I say get a standard size one or you'll not only be replacing cartridges every day but you'll also spend a
dang fortune on grease, those 'few' dozen zerks can take anywhere from 2-4 to 8-10 squirts each, every single day.
Yes, you really want to grease that stuff frequently, unless it's a Ztr, if it's an open bearing it needs grease daily.

You want at least two guns in case one F's up you got another, they do last forever but you have to rebuild one
or the other every once a moon, if you have more than one you can set the broken one aside until you got time to deal with it.
I have 3-4, that way if I run out I usually have another one around that's already loaded, plus I can keep one in the truck.

This is what I use, doesn't look like much but all of mine that I bought my first year still work 7 years later:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_55453_55453

And this is the grease I use, compare that to the mini tube price:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200316998_200316998
Oh, and get at least a whole box!
Yes you will need it and then you don't gotta run to the store for a bit, I think there's twelve in a box, not sure, but you'll see.

Too bad the price went up, when I bought my cases they were 79 cents each...
I think I bought 60 of those tubes at the time. :p
Oh yeah sure, they all thought I was crazy, but I still got 30 or 40 or so left.

4.3mudder
06-16-2009, 02:03 AM
I think harbor frieght has ones with air pressure for 10 bucks.

Richard Martin
06-16-2009, 07:18 AM
I use a manually operated $15 gun from the autoparts store. It wasn't the cheapest one they had. Kinda the middle of the road.

I like the manual guns for a variety of reasons.

You can feel what's going on when you use them. If you have a plugged zerk you can feel it. With a powered gun you can't. I've seen people just keep trying to push grease into fittings with powered guns. When the zerk finally gave out there was grease everywhere.

You can also easily feel when the gun is out of grease.

You can hear what's going on a whole lot easier with a manual gun too. A lot of fittings will "pop" or make a crackling sound when they're full of grease. Blade spindles will almost always do this. That is the point where you should stop adding grease. With an electric or air powered grease gun it is a whole lot more difficult to hear the pop or crackle and people just keep adding grease way beyond what is needed or they don't add enough. This was the reason Exmark gave for their change to greaseless spindles. That people didn't ever grease them right.

About grease...

The reason a whole lot of people have trouble with grease coming out of grease guns is simple. They have old grease.

Grease is basically made up of two things. Oil and a binder usually made up of fibers. The oil keeps things lubricated and the binder keeps the oil in a semi solid form. When grease gets old the oil will usually either settle to one end of the tube or it will seep out of the tube.

I used to buy grease by the case and it would take me a couple of years to go through it. I only have 3 mowers and 2 cars that take grease. Since I don't overgrease my equipment it takes a while to use up a case of 24 tubes. Every once in a while I'd have to keep replaceing my grease gun because they would stop pumping the grease. It was driving me crazy. Then I noticed that this only happened when I'd get towards the last part of that case of grease. The tubes would be all oily on the outside when I'd go to put them into the gun and the box that held the tubes was all greasy and oily at the bottom.

So I did a quick web search on grease and found out about grease going bad with time.

Now I only buy grease tubes one or two at a time from the autoparts store. If the grease tube has dust on the top or feels oily on the outside I don't buy it.

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-16-2009, 07:22 AM
I have the battery one from Harbor Freight and it works fine...$58....

Pennington Lawncare
06-16-2009, 08:30 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ingersoll-Rand-5190-Ultra-Duty-Air-Grease-Gun-IR5190_W0QQitemZ390052957783QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad0f7ce57&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

I bought one of these Ingersoll Rand air grease guns a few months ago after taking back 2 of the Crapsman Professional series guns because they would not work. The Ingersoll is $38 shipped and was cheaper than the Crapsman and a lot better gun IMO.

tryin
06-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Thanks so much for the reply's guys. I think I'm going to go for the standard size manual Linclon gun off amazon.