PDA

View Full Version : Making the Hustler WB perfect

Doc Pete
04-08-2002, 04:15 PM
Somehow I screwed up and this original post got buried in another topic. Here's the original post:
From the first day I used my Hustler WB I knew it was the best machine going. However, by the end of the week I also realized, someone forgot something. Where was the adjustable top end limit which every other manufacture has on their machine? Sure you can adapt to carefully not rolling on too much throttle, but why bother? And, why is it on all other machines. We all know the Hustler can "one hand" it through a bunch of rose bushes, but if you jerk your hand, the machine is now going 5 mph and off to God knows where.
I know the other 2 friends of mine who bought Hustlers had a Devil of a time making sure they didn't accidentally add too much throttle and end up running after a machine doing 5 mph, when we walk at 3 mph. After watching me mow, and remembering how smooth and easy my machine was, which is why they bought a Hustler in the first place, they finally asked, "How come your machine is so smooth??"
It was then I let them in on my secret. I added an adjustable top end limiter. It works using the "same spring system" which is already on the machine; therefore, it will take daily use without breaking. Very simply, I employed the exact same principle Hustler uses to stop the machine at zero ground speed, and modified it to limit the top end the same way.
In operation, two thumb nuts hold a plate which limits the throttle springs just as Hustler does to "detent" zero ground speed. To change the top end limit, all that is required is loosening the two thumb nuts and moving the adjustable plate. The great part of this upgrade, is, just like adding more speed during going backwards, even though the top speed has been set, "if" you need more speed to go up a hill, or quickly go move to another lawn, "overriding" the spring tension is all that is needed. Then, when you want to go back to normal walking speed, just relax your grip, and you're right back walking the lawn at 3 mph or whatever you've set the top speed to.
With the ability to roll on the throttle, knowing the machine won't accidentally jump to 5 mph, but always stop at 3 mph, mowing can fun again, and anyone with absolutely no experience can instantly become a safe and productive operator. I know my dealer has mentioned more than once that guy's would try the Hustler, but would walk away from it, not saying "why", but just that didn't feel comfortable using the H bar steering. I know my wife, mowing partners, Dad and brother, "all" shied away from the Hustler, until I made the upgrade to a top end limiter. Now, at 88, my Dad actually feels comfortable using the Hustler.
I can be emailed if you guy's have any questions, plus I have plenty of pictures of the upgrade. This part now makes the Hustler WB "Perfect", which until now was only "the best"!!! Pete
For Pete's Sake

PWM
04-08-2002, 09:33 PM
Pete,

Our Director of Engineering and myself are going to be in the Philadelphia area on April 22nd maybe there is a chance we can get together so we can see your modification. Email me at pmullet@excelhustler.com and let me know where you are located and I will try to make it work. I am very interested to see what you have done.

Paul

olddog
04-10-2002, 10:27 AM
I drove a wb around a dealer's lot, and I was supprised that there was no resistance to forward speed increases. I told myself I could get used to it, and besides there's always the presence controls for backup, but that doesn't guarentee that you won't run into or over something first. Just my 2 cents.

yorkpaddy
04-25-2002, 03:59 PM
so when you let go of the control bar the mower keeps going 3mph? that sounds dangerous to me. could you set up two detents , or have hustler do that?

Doc Pete
04-26-2002, 12:02 AM
Since you may not be familar with the machine, even the stock machine stays where you leave it. My upgrade, just offers a "feelable" stop at 3 mph, rather than letting you accidently twisting the grip right to 5 mph, which is bit hard to walk at. However, as soon as you let go of the bar the machine stops. Hustler has done a great job of designing it's deadman's switch.
FWIW, all pistol grips will "runaway", for lack of a better description, unless you phyically pull the levers back to neutral. So, to make myself clear, the Hustler is the exact same in that respect, which is to return to the stop position you must roll back the twist grip bar. The nice part is you automatically feel the spring pressure at that point and the machine instantly comes to a stop. Frankly, even though I'm just a regular consumer. the Hustler control idea, with my upgrade is and will be the "state of the art" in WB control for some time.:angel:

motodude
05-08-2002, 03:14 AM
I have to agree. Hustler makes the best WB period. The H-Bar steering is truly amazing. I can out mow any other WB, any rider, and even some ZTR's, with same size deck of course. I love it. Your idea does'nt sound bad Switchless. I personally am able to walk at 5mph or my machines top speed, and like the feel and responsiveness of the controls sans detents or the like. But I have an uncle that can't use it for that very reason, so now he claims he does'nt like Hustler's H-bar, when in fact it's the most user friendly system out there. Go figure.:confused:

Doc Pete
05-08-2002, 07:20 AM
Well, if you want to out mow "ALL" the ZTR's then all you need to do is add the "Wheel mod" I posted in another topic. This smooths the machine out, so you can then change the pump linkage and get over 7 mph with a cut that's better than you're getting "now". Also, both my machines have the wheel rim reversed for another 6 inches of track width. This gives a more stable machine and wider stance that allows the wheels more leverage for zero turning. Last I added motorcycle "Jell" grips which are much fatter and softer. Finally, I cut an inch off of either side of the H bar, giving me more clearance for mowing near hedges and a bit faster response.
Pete