PDA

View Full Version : should I buy this aerator? and why

Baldwinslawnservice
06-15-2009, 11:12 PM
I am looking for ways to expand my business over the next year, so I would like to add some new services. I recently purchased a sprayer and spreader rig, and plan to start those services as soon as I take my license test. I have been considering purchasing an aerator and have located a turf aire 60" pull behind with hydraulic lift. It is is good working order and I am unsure of it's value, and how much work I may aquire with it in my rural market? what are some benifits to lawn aeration? how can I try to sell this service to customers?

Thanks in advance.:usflag:

kaferhaus
06-15-2009, 11:26 PM
You're putting the cart before the horse. Get the work then buy the equipment.

Before I ever bought an aerator I'd line up at least 4 jobs for one day and rent one. As I ended up doing enough of them each season to pay for a quality machine I went and bought one (cash).

I'd never buy a purpose built machine like that "anticipating" that it's going to pay for itself quickly. rookie mistake.

MileHigh
06-16-2009, 12:05 AM
Hey kaferhaus...he hasn't bought the aerator yet..

And good luck with the spraying..I too bought a lot of equipment before getting the work...can't always rent your whole life. It also made me more dedicated to what I needed to be doing.

Aeration is great for grass. Reduces thatch and soil compaction. Which allows the lawn to retain more water.

Easy to sell....

In a rural community?...I have no idea.

Baldwinslawnservice
06-16-2009, 02:38 AM
I guess I forgot to say that I could buy the aerator for $600.00. (cash) I feel this is a small investment to make to be able to add this service and equipment to my list. If the work really doesn't pan out I would assume a resale wouldn't be a big issue? Just curious of the acual value of a used aerator.