PDA

View Full Version : Who’s had a good or bad experience with a customer’s dog?

tradeyouraccounts
06-16-2009, 01:05 AM
Who’s had a good or bad experience with a customer’s dog? A while back I got bite on the butt by a Labrador and I thought these were friendly guys and seems the smaller the dog the crankier they are!!

LouisianaLawnboy
06-16-2009, 01:16 AM
Almost every encounter with an animal on a customer's property is negative.

topsites
06-16-2009, 01:17 AM
Almost every encounter with an animal on a customer's property is negative.

I would have to agree, because I'm there to do a job.

LBLC_LCO
06-16-2009, 01:19 AM
Trimmers make good weapons, if need be. But if you're mowing...not sure how you could make that work? Pop a wheelie and spin in circles?

MileHigh
06-16-2009, 01:21 AM
All the dogs I run into are scared chitless when I come racing in with the motor at full rpm's...as soon as the blades are engaged...I never see em again.

Smart dogs around here I guess.

Lbilawncare
06-16-2009, 01:24 AM
Years ago a customer came home extremely angry with us while we were in her back yard. She had a doberman pincher with her and she said we left the gate open and it escaped, luckily she found it three streets over while on her way home. She was ready to fire us, especially after I repeatedly told he that the dog was not there when we arrived. Five minutes after she went in the house she came back out with her head down and told us that the dog she found was not hers and her dog was in the basement the whole time. I wanted so badly to say "I told you, you stupid bi#@h"

LouisianaLawnboy
06-16-2009, 01:26 AM
I would have to agree, because I'm there to do a job.

WOW! Topsites agreed with me. That made my night, I'm going to bed.

blumpkinator
06-16-2009, 01:48 AM
im friends with every dog in town lol.. one white lab comes out and lays there while you blow him with the br600.. the other ones just distract me for 10 minutes wanting to be pet and played with..

tjlco
06-16-2009, 01:52 AM
I was VERY close to using the .38 one day....I managed to climb the fence instead

MS_SURVEYOR
06-16-2009, 03:03 AM
Years ago a customer came home extremely angry with us while we were in her back yard. She had a doberman pincher with her and she said we left the gate open and it escaped, luckily she found it three streets over while on her way home. She was ready to fire us, especially after I repeatedly told he that the dog was not there when we arrived. Five minutes after she went in the house she came back out with her head down and told us that the dog she found was not hers and her dog was in the basement the whole time. I wanted so badly to say "I told you, you stupid bi#@h"

I LOVE that story! That dobe 3 streets over must have though woman was CRAZY!!!:laugh:

I'm a land surveyor who cuts his own grass. I don't have many problems with dog. I see one and I try to make friends. If not, his owner. If that don't work I get some what ugly, not wanting to hurt the dog. Hoping there's only one of them, and the lady of the house don't come out to help me. Now when she comes out, the dog(s) are on the job!!!

ms

ps; my wife has a few stories about me, dogs, and her on the job. But I really don't think I was there.:laugh:

greendoctor
06-16-2009, 05:24 AM
Who’s had a good or bad experience with a customer’s dog? A while back I got bite on the butt by a Labrador and I thought these were friendly guys and seems the smaller the dog the crankier they are!!

Labs go psycho if they are not kept as part of the family. I have not had any bad dog experiences. Why? I think dogs are a reflection of their owner. Bad dog= PITA, @$$hole, B$%^&. Before I became self employed, I remember my employer taking work from people with bad dogs. In every case, the business relationship soon terminated on bad terms. People with crazy dogs can find another LCO, because I won't service them. Most of the dogs I meet think I am their new found friend. Makes things easy for me. One day, I had to spray trees in a back yard. Client told me to put the Rottie in the side kennel when I got there. That was easy because the dog was very well behaved.

TPnTX
06-16-2009, 05:51 AM
miscommunication between me and the home owner on a tree job. 140 lb german shepard steaming towards me @ 20mph. Bare handed I just stood there. He bit me on the butt once(because I pointed it at him) and then bit my hand three times. I stood there froze and bleeding until the home owner heard him barking and came to my rescue.

Think I did the right thing? If not think again, this was a very fit GS.

1 month later I knock on a door. Lady opens the door and a 140lb German Shepard comes steaming towards me accelerating fast. Bare handed I stood there. He licked my knee. Lady says "Youre affraid of dogs aren't you"? I replied "uh, maybe"

M&MLawn
06-16-2009, 10:21 PM
Last week I had a german shepard inside a gated area of this yard chasing the week wacker head. It was very friendly but very dumb. Dug up rocks,..big rocks and would carry them over to me as I was mowing. It was fun at first, then after stopping the machine about ten times to gather up the rocks to finish mowing I had enough. I tied it to the fence, at that point it chased the weed wacker,..a swift kick in the rear got it to stop but bottom line, dogs, pets, etc cost time good or bad behavior.

93Chevy
06-16-2009, 10:37 PM
WOW! Topsites agreed with me. That made my night, I'm going to bed.

Sounds like a case of a non-sexual man crush.

LawnTamer
06-16-2009, 11:10 PM
Usually dogs don't give me any trouble at all. There are a few exceptions. I got knocked over once by an Irish wolfhound, which wouldn't have been a big deal, but I was wearing a full chest spreader, so 20 lbs of fert went flying everywhere.

I have one account, had it for 15 yrs, great account but they have a nasty little dog, if it gets out, it wastes no time barking, goes right for the ankles. They think the dog is cute, think it wouldn't hurt a flea, but it is a nasty little beast.

B&M
06-16-2009, 11:12 PM
Dogs are bad news on the job (I personally have two) . I was bitten on the leg once at an mulch estimate. Never have looked at dogs the same after that.

kaferhaus
06-16-2009, 11:17 PM
The only problem we have is one customer's pit bull tries to jump up in your lap while you're running the mower. That's not so bad except he'll keep trying to lick your face!

He NEVER gets in front of the mower or near the discharge chute though.... seems he realizes something is chopping the grass up under there. He'll trot along on the left side of the mower until he has a good shot at making your lap....

New guys always get the crap scared out of them the first time.

If you yell at him he'll go lay in his hole and pout.

W.L.M.
06-16-2009, 11:25 PM
Usually dogs don't give me any trouble at all. There are a few exceptions. I got knocked over once by an Irish wolfhound, which wouldn't have been a big deal, but I was wearing a full chest spreader, so 20 lbs of fert went flying everywhere.

I have one account, had it for 15 yrs, great account but they have a nasty little dog, if it gets out, it wastes no time barking, goes right for the ankles. They think the dog is cute, think it wouldn't hurt a flea, but it is a nasty little beast.

I have one of those too, and the people are so rude as to intentionally let the dog bother me. I am just hoping someday the dog gets loose and comes after me so my size 12 boot can send him to the moon.

cphillips0053
06-16-2009, 11:26 PM
A police officer was serving a warrant in town last week and as he was heading back to the car, the neighbor's dachshund came running at him and he shot the thing dead. BIG mess and alot of pissed off people around here right now. According to the law, he was within his duties.

Here is the link: http://www.wdbj7.com/Global/story.asp?S=10536546

FastMan
06-17-2009, 12:16 AM
Never had a problem with a dog. I like dogs. The can tell, and like me back.

FastMan
06-17-2009, 12:18 AM
The only problem we have is one customer's pit bull tries to jump up in your lap while you're running the mower. That's not so bad except he'll keep trying to lick your face!

He NEVER gets in front of the mower or near the discharge chute though.... seems he realizes something is chopping the grass up under there. He'll trot along on the left side of the mower until he has a good shot at making your lap....

New guys always get the crap scared out of them the first time.

If you yell at him he'll go lay in his hole and pout.

That's great!

kaferhaus
06-17-2009, 12:19 AM

I believe they can too. I've had customers give me grave warnings about their dog only to have them run up and lick my hand while the customer looked on with their mouth agape.

tradeyouraccounts
06-17-2009, 12:22 AM
The Dachshund was named "Killer." Must have had a reputation then, I wonder if the officer was aware of it…..

Scagguy
06-17-2009, 12:28 AM

Same here. I believe dogs can sense who's ok and who's not.

FastMan
06-17-2009, 12:36 AM
I believe they can too. I've had customers give me grave warnings about their dog only to have them run up and lick my hand while the customer looked on with their mouth agape.

kaferhaus, you're obviously a dog lover. I've found it goes a long way in building instant rapport with a potential customer. Dogs read people pretty well. When a customer's dog likes you, it often confidence inspiring for the customer. I've had it happen often,,, I bet you have too.

kaferhaus
06-17-2009, 12:54 AM
kaferhaus, you're obviously a dog lover. I've found it goes a long way in building instant rapport with a potential customer. Dogs read people pretty well. When a customer's dog likes you, it often confidence inspiring for the customer. I've had it happen often,,, I bet you have too.

Actually had it happen today. Went on a sales call and the folks dog was just slobbering all over me. the lady says, "well skippy likes you! when can you start?"

It's happend dozens of times over the years. Never complain about a customers pet or kid unless you don't like working there. Dogs AND kids are actually pretty easy to control if you're nice to them.

lyube
06-17-2009, 01:14 AM
I've never met a dog that didn't like me.

Heck, even the horses follow me and eat up the grass I cut. Cows too.

The only dogs that do bother me are feral dogs and the customer's neighbors dogs.

I'm dr doolittle

greendoctor
06-17-2009, 03:39 AM
Actually had it happen today. Went on a sales call and the folks dog was just slobbering all over me. the lady says, "well skippy likes you! when can you start?"

It's happend dozens of times over the years. Never complain about a customers pet or kid unless you don't like working there. Dogs AND kids are actually pretty easy to control if you're nice to them.

True, true, true. The fact that a prospective client's dog likes me is helpful. Again, that is a good indicator of the owner. But it also tells the owner something about me that cannot be faked or lied about. Bad dog=PITA means RUN! Conversely, if an otherwise good dog just hates a person on sight, there is a reason why. Horses and cows also like me too. Which is a good thing because a big part of my business is doing weed and brush control on pastureland. At one place I do, I had to ask about the signs put up on the fences "Keep Away, Horses Bite". Apparently, horses are very good about seeing what a person is inside. A dillweed is seen for what he is and gets bitten or kicked. Those horses never reacted that way to me. I am their new found friend. It also helps to have grown up with farm animals. Then knowing how to stay on their good side comes naturally.

tradeyouraccounts
06-23-2009, 01:42 AM
Seems that the majority have good experiences with Dogs and other animals. They can make a working day brighter and some are allot friendlier than their owners.

dwlah
06-23-2009, 01:52 AM
Ive had them gong both ways The ones that I couldnt get along with soon became former customers
The others are current customers

My rule is if you dont put the dog up and he gets out Im not going to go spend the afternoon chasing him all over the neighborhood

VirginiaLawnCare
06-23-2009, 02:31 AM
miscommunication between me and the home owner on a tree job. 140 lb german shepard steaming towards me @ 20mph. Bare handed I just stood there. He bit me on the butt once(because I pointed it at him) and then bit my hand three times. I stood there froze and bleeding until the home owner heard him barking and came to my rescue.

Think I did the right thing? If not think again, this was a very fit GS.

1 month later I knock on a door. Lady opens the door and a 140lb German Shepard comes steaming towards me accelerating fast. Bare handed I stood there. He licked my knee. Lady says "Youre affraid of dogs aren't you"? I replied "uh, maybe"

That's kind of your fault to a extent now the dog shouldn't bite you but gs's are VERY good at sensing fear and they take advantage of it.

Its more like dogs can tell when your scared and when your scared you get them nervous and they tend to want to bite because of it. That's why they always say if your somewhere and a dog starts to come at you stand your ground and not show fear because they can sense it. Dogs are my hobby I have trained a lot of them and trained a lot of people about dogs.

1993lx172
06-24-2009, 12:27 AM
I've got a client that I mow occasionally for has a BIG St. Bernard. That dog is the biggest goofball I've ever seen, I learned early on that when I see him start to shake his head, I need to back up about four feet unless I want to get sprayed. If I'm talking to the home owners and I leave the door to my truck open while I'm unloading or loading or whatever, he'll jump in the cab and make himself at home!

cphillips0053
06-24-2009, 01:01 AM
The Dachshund was named "Killer." Must have had a reputation then, I wonder if the officer was aware of it…..

Man there is still a huge ordeal about that whole thing! www.godanriver.com and there is like 5 or 6 articles about it. Just glance through the comments to the stories to see how some are handling it. I posted on one of the articles stating some facts about rabies. I would imagine that if the officer was serving 2 warrants to the neighbor, then it couldn't have been a good neighborhood. We have a leash law here in the city and I can understand why the officer took action. Maybe a little too far but none the less.

tacoma200
06-24-2009, 02:42 AM
The only problem we have is one customer's pit bull tries to jump up in your lap while you're running the mower. That's not so bad except he'll keep trying to lick your face.

That would be very cool if it was an attractive woman instead of a pit bull.

93Chevy
06-24-2009, 09:02 PM
That would be very cool if it was an attractive woman instead of a pit bull.

Eh, some of us just have to take what we can get.

lawncuttinfoo
06-25-2009, 10:01 AM
Like the second poster said, Good story about a dog? LOL

Customer's 80 lb dog snuck up on me from behind and bit my thigh once.

Have another customer who I have called numerous time to keep the dog inside they do for a few weeks then it is out again. If this dog bites me I am calling the police on them.

TPnTX
06-25-2009, 11:15 AM
That's kind of your fault to a extent now the dog shouldn't bite you but gs's are VERY good at sensing fear and they take advantage of it.

Its more like dogs can tell when your scared and when your scared you get them nervous and they tend to want to bite because of it. That's why they always say if your somewhere and a dog starts to come at you stand your ground and not show fear because they can sense it. Dogs are my hobby I have trained a lot of them and trained a lot of people about dogs.

LOL that's funny everyone is an expert. The dog didn't have a thought in his head other than to bite me
Posted via Mobile Device

tacoma200
06-25-2009, 03:08 PM

I always thought that way. The one time I was bit was by a dog I had been around for 5 years. They always barked but I paid them no attention and they left me alone, always. One day out of the blue one of them came up behind my while I was trimming and bit my calf really hard (he was fast). It lefts marks for months. I think the world of the owner and being from the country I've been bitten, scratched, or thrown off many farm animals so no big deal but I felt I needed to tell the owner. I could have been a child or a less friendly person with a good lawyer next time.

He hated that I was bit and got rid of the dog (r.i.p.). But something made the dog act different that day and it was from behind. I guess you never know with animals (or people for that matter).