PDA

View Full Version : big lco'Swhat do you have invested in equipment???

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-16-2009, 01:06 AM
just wondered

MileHigh
06-16-2009, 01:13 AM
I don't think ValleyCrest, Trugreen, or Brickman are on this forum :confused:

kaferhaus
06-16-2009, 01:18 AM
On revenue producing equipment approx $275K If you include "shop" equipment like welders, blade sharpeners, grinders, fuel pumps, air compressors, cutting torches, lathe, tools etc then add about 20K

And the building that it all fits in.... add a whole bunch.

tjlco
06-16-2009, 01:55 AM
More than any of our customers would ever know....

capelawncare.com
06-16-2009, 08:49 AM
More than any of our customers would ever know....

Amen to that.

bohiaa
06-16-2009, 08:56 AM
more than employees will ever know.

I have one guy, "who this is his last week" he just wont stop bitching, I'm only making this, it's not fair. ya ya ya ya ya.......

hitechlm
06-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Im not a big company, but my setup is similar. My pics are some where on this board.
If you get a new f450 crew cab with a steak body, 24' enclosed trailer, trimmers, blowers, edgers, 2 wb's, and 2ztr's like i have it will cost around 80,000 to put that rig on the road. And thats everything new and with a little bit of a discount.

lawnjocky
06-16-2009, 12:27 PM

I have one guy, "who this is his last week" he just wont stop bitching, I'm only making this, it's not fair. ya ya ya ya ya.......

I make a point of letting the guys know. Especially the repair costs!!

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-16-2009, 02:41 PM
you guys got some good answers keep it comming!

i think alot of the guys who will and or do work for us need to see these answers to get a better perspective about how much money it takes to run a bussiness!. its alot easier to collect a paycheck at the end of a week and go home than to worry bout everything possible that you onw including the taxes and the irs!

delphied
06-16-2009, 03:17 PM

I know what you are saying but lets be honest. People in this country are in poverty when working full time for 8 or 10 an hour. We are turning into a third world nation.

bohiaa
06-16-2009, 04:03 PM
I know what you are saying but lets be honest. People in this country are in poverty when working full time for 8 or 10 an hour. We are turning into a third world nation.

Not third world, Just rich/poor. I'm wondering if you have ever been to another country. I just got back from Peru. people there are RICH or there poor. i too feel this is the way it's going.

however sometimes people do it to thereselves. lets face it . the more I can make the more I can afford to pay.

employees just dont get it. this guy I speek of. doesn't care. he's been with me for 2 yrs now and it seems that after that period of time. they develpoe an additude. Like I'm above doing this or that.

I have been after him for Quite some time to LEARN HOW TO TURN ON A MOWER,
he can do it. he just doesn't care. so once after he ripped the turff, and me bitching, I simply informed him of the cost involved with replacing it.
I told him it cost me around 80.00

well he didn't belive it. so I told him DONT COME BACT TO WORK UNTILL IT'S REPLACED.....
he had to take a day off, bum a ride. pay 40.00 in fuel to go get the grass. " were in the country"
then when he came back he told me it cost him 135.00 to replace that 1 square of grass.......

did he learn ?

delphied
06-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Not third world, Just rich/poor. I'm wondering if you have ever been to another country. I just got back from Peru. people there are RICH or there poor. i too feel this is the way it's going.

however sometimes people do it to thereselves. lets face it . the more I can make the more I can afford to pay.

employees just dont get it. this guy I speek of. doesn't care. he's been with me for 2 yrs now and it seems that after that period of time. they develpoe an additude. Like I'm above doing this or that.

I have been after him for Quite some time to LEARN HOW TO TURN ON A MOWER,
he can do it. he just doesn't care. so once after he ripped the turff, and me bitching, I simply informed him of the cost involved with replacing it.
I told him it cost me around 80.00

well he didn't belive it. so I told him DONT COME BACT TO WORK UNTILL IT'S REPLACED.....
he had to take a day off, bum a ride. pay 40.00 in fuel to go get the grass. " were in the country"
then when he came back he told me it cost him 135.00 to replace that 1 square of grass.......

did he learn ?

Dont get me wrong, Im not defending how the guy works. Im just saying he has alot to ***** about with regard to pay and that isnt your fault. You can only pay so much. Trouble is, nobody can get a good paying job anymore.

kaferhaus
06-16-2009, 06:36 PM
Ok, the thread is well off track but here's the long and short of it.

In no society is everyone "equal" nor can any society survive that tries to force that utopian dream upon it's members.

The reasons are simple and few.

People do not have the same values

People do not have the same skills

People do not have the same "drive" (some have none)

And all this "crap" about dis-advantaged this and that is just that, crap.

Successful people are driven, they will make sacrifices to attain a goal.

Average people have the motivation to feed their family, keep a roof over their head and raise their children well.

"Poor" people have little to no motivation are not goal oriented and expect others to do for them or support them.

There are a very small percentage of the above "poor" that only fit that definition due to circumstance beyond their control but that number is extremely minute in this country.

WE have FREE education. Anyone who goes to school and actually gives a crap can end up with a college education and a decent job.

It's all about decisions. Those who make the correct ones flourish and advance through the economic food chain and those who do not don't.

I never tolerate a employee that "bitches" about his pay. I cut most of this off before I even hire them by going over MY policies in the interview. I tell the prospective employee that this is "unskilled" labor, the pay is between this amount per hour and this amount per hour depending upon your performance, attitude, attendance and appearance. The chance of you making more than the upper amount mentioned is about zero. The chance of you keeping this job if you do not perform to my expectations is zero. I do not give pay advances, don't ever ask and no one has to get their feelings hurt. I do not tolerate tardiness or unexcused absenteeism.

A person with no marketable skills and no drive is always going to be "poor".

And in the vast majority of cases the only person to blame for that lack of skills is the person bitching. I don't want to hear it, will not "feel" for that person whatever. you are what you make of yourself. Society owes you nothing.

The further this country has gone down this road of trying to make everyone "equal" the further out of control it has become. People have no incentive to do for themselves when the govt is constantly pushing money at them to sit on their asses and make bad decisions. Be lazy and stupid and it's all good, here's your check.

Some stiff shoving burgers out of a window and the fast food joint should be able to support a family of 4?

Maple Wood
06-16-2009, 07:19 PM

In no society is everyone "equal" nor can any society survive that tries to force that utopian dream upon it's members.

Average people have the motivation to feed their family, keep a roof over their head and raise their children well.

"Poor" people have little to no motivation are not goal oriented and expect others to do for them or support them.

There are a very small percentage of the above "poor" that only fit that definition due to circumstance beyond their control but that number is extremely minute in this country.

WE have FREE education. Anyone who goes to school and actually gives a crap can end up with a college education and a decent job.

It's all about decisions. Those who make the correct ones flourish and advance through the economic food chain and those who do not don't.

I never tolerate a employee that "bitches" about his pay. I cut most of this off before I even hire them by going over MY policies in the interview. I tell the prospective employee that this is "unskilled" labor, the pay is between this amount per hour and this amount per hour depending upon your performance, attitude, attendance and appearance. The chance of you making more than the upper amount mentioned is about zero. The chance of you keeping this job if you do not perform to my expectations is zero. I do not give pay advances, don't ever ask and no one has to get their feelings hurt. I do not tolerate tardiness or unexcused absenteeism.

And in the vast majority of cases the only person to blame for that lack of skills is the person bitching. I don't want to hear it, will not "feel" for that person whatever. you are what you make of yourself. Society owes you nothing.

The further this country has gone down this road of trying to make everyone "equal" the further out of control it has become. People have no incentive to do for themselves when the govt is constantly pushing money at them to sit on their asses and make bad decisions. Be lazy and stupid and it's all good, here's your check.

Some stiff shoving burgers out of a window and the fast food joint should be able to support a family of 4?

:hammerhead::eek::eek:

kaferhaus needed to blow off some steam.

lawnjocky
06-16-2009, 07:29 PM
Well said Kaferhaus and all true.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-16-2009, 07:59 PM
middle class makes the world turn! and the sad thing is our own savior obama doesnt even try to help us! lets give trilions of dollars to people who couldnt sell water in the desert! and we gotta pay for it and our whole lives will change because of it!

the workers comp that kaferhause probly pays is insane and the gov't probly will plan on trying to take more when they get a chance or when they hire someone else to file papers for the person the files papers! :dizzy::laugh:

Pietro
06-16-2009, 08:05 PM
We prob got close to 100K of stuff. Its worth a hell of a lot more to me though, because I worked my ass off for "Free" as I re-invested all profits back into the business for 3 years or so.

kaferhaus
06-16-2009, 08:18 PM
the workers comp that kaferhause probly pays is insane and the gov't probly will plan on trying to take more when they get a chance or when they hire someone else to file papers for the person the files papers!

$59,488.00 last year for worker's comp. $36,400 in FICA, $11,284.00 in unemployment "insurance", nevermind the federal, state and local "fees, taxes and licenses or my income taxes or the property/casualty and liability insurance.... or the payroll (over 500K)

Just imagine if I had a debt load too!

And employee's want to "gripe"?

txgrassguy
06-16-2009, 08:29 PM
According to my 2008 tax's - I have over $275K worth of equipment on a seven year depreciation scale.
Sigh - I only wish my divorce cost me this.:hammerhead:

kaferhaus
06-16-2009, 08:34 PM
According to my 2008 tax's - I have over $275K worth of equipment on a seven year depreciation scale.
Sigh - I only wish my divorce cost me this.:hammerhead:

We only depreciate trucks (5yrs) and mowers that cost over 5K (3yrs). I never buy new trucks. The actual lawn equipment makes up the bulk of our equipment "value" Usually spend no more than 5-6K on a truck and 12-1400 on trailers. In fact my personal truck was bought used.

supercuts
06-16-2009, 09:45 PM
new truck $40k, old trucks, still a hell of alot maybe $40K, mowers, a good $35K, 10K in trailers, $3K in back packs/trimmers, kubota used $15k. ive always said when i pull up its $100,000 parked infront.

johnnybravo8802
06-16-2009, 11:10 PM
In the last 10 years, I've easily spent $130,000+ on just equipment including trucks and trailers. I had an industrial Hustler that was $20,000 alone, new Isuzu box truck at $33,000, etc, and cutting grannies yard for $20!!!!!!!!!:laugh::cry::cry:

nosparkplugs
06-16-2009, 11:21 PM
No man can work for two masters. He will hate one and love the other. Or he will obey one and despise the other. You cannot work for both God and money.

kaferhaus
06-16-2009, 11:27 PM
No man can work for two masters. He will hate one and love the other. Or he will obey one and despise the other. You cannot work for both God and money.

I work for money so the pastor can try too talk me into giving it to him. it gives him something to do and me something to chuckle about.

nosparkplugs
06-16-2009, 11:39 PM
Do not let the love of money control your life. Be satisfied with what you have. God himself has said, `I will never be away from you. I will never leave you alone'.

I work for money so the pastor can try too talk me into giving it to him. it gives him something to do and me something to chuckle about.

kaferhaus
06-16-2009, 11:42 PM
God himself has said, `I will never be away from you. I will never leave you alone.

You have issues that no one on this board can help you with. God has never said that people should not strive to be successful.

Take it to another forum please.

Ford4Ever
06-17-2009, 12:03 AM

If you run for president I would DEFINITELY vote for you! :usflag: And amen...your completely right. :weightlifter:

grassman177
06-17-2009, 12:03 AM
to give our input, on the real topic and simple question, trucks, trailers, mowers and spray equipemnt,etc, not the shop would have to say roughly $400K. way too much really and that is some things being used, mostly our older trucks were used when we got them, and great finds too.

hitechlm
06-17-2009, 12:18 AM
A guess i read the original post wrong, i would have to say all together i have around
200k invested in everything and that doesnt include shop rent, taxes or tools. It crazy to think about all the money you have invested just to mow grass.