PDA

View Full Version : Guys that run more then one truck or one crew besides yourself

SunState Lawn Care inc
06-16-2009, 03:45 PM
What type of insurance do you carry to cover you if an employee wrecks your truck and destroyes all your tools or do you?

My son is leaving the buisness so I will have to let others drive the truck and equipment around but just don't trust everyone with my equipment. I know I have to learn to trust folks more but want to get some kind of insurance that isn't to expensive to cover everything in case.

How many of you guys run a truck with two employess and don't work on the truck yourselves is it profitable?

I use to run 2 trucks (had a good friend run one rig) but didn't find it to be worth it over the one truck with me watching over it after the guys tore up stuff and wouldn't show up sometimes and got us behind and so on......but now I am getting older and want to slack off working as hard some and need to get more work and more workers. Just wondering if it's worth it two have 2 guys working the truck without you there every minute of everyday.

vincent1
06-16-2009, 10:40 PM
I carrry commercial insurance on my vehicles. Call your auto agent and tell him what your doing. He should be able to answer any questions.

Don't expect your guys to get the same amount of work done as if you were there with them. Just accept it. I have been asking myself that same question

kaferhaus
06-16-2009, 10:57 PM
What type of insurance do you carry to cover you if an employee wrecks your truck and destroyes all your tools or do you?

My son is leaving the buisness so I will have to let others drive the truck and equipment around but just don't trust everyone with my equipment. I know I have to learn to trust folks more but want to get some kind of insurance that isn't to expensive to cover everything in case.

How many of you guys run a truck with two employess and don't work on the truck yourselves is it profitable?

I use to run 2 trucks (had a good friend run one rig) but didn't find it to be worth it over the one truck with me watching over it after the guys tore up stuff and wouldn't show up sometimes and got us behind and so on......but now I am getting older and want to slack off working as hard some and need to get more work and more workers. Just wondering if it's worth it two have 2 guys working the truck without you there every minute of everyday.

Call your insurance agent and be preparred for "premium shock". One pitfall that many solo's fall into is they don't read their own policies that say they cannot use their vehicle for comemrcial purposes. I've seen several guys get into wrecks and while the insurance company paid for the damage to the other vehicle they paid not a dime for theirs even though they had full coverage.

Also professional tools and equipment usually have a 200 dollar "limit" on regular auto policies so get in a wreck and tear up a ZTR.... too bad.

When you lie on a insurance application you're committing "fraud by deception" and the insuror has no obligation to pay anything except to refund your premium for that policy period.

In this state it's also a felony though rarely enforced. The insuror just refuses to pay and drops you while reporting you to the casualty database... the next company you try to get insurance from is going to know all about you.

lawnspecialties
06-16-2009, 11:12 PM
Are you really "inc"? If so, doesn't your business own the trucks?

I'm not really sure what your setup is but you need to be incorporated or an LLC with a commercial auto or business auto policy on the trucks. If you own the trucks, being incorporated or an LLC means nothing. If they wreck your trucks and cause great harm, it's your butt that will be in the sling. :nono:

kaferhaus
06-16-2009, 11:16 PM

I'm not really sure what your setup is but you need to be incorporated or an LLC with a commercial auto or business auto policy on the trucks. If you own the trucks, being incorporated or an LLC means nothing. If they wreck your trucks and cause great harm, it's your butt that will be in the sling. :nono:

there ya go. perfect response and absolutely true.

vincent1
06-17-2009, 12:02 AM

Are sure if it matters if an individual owns the truck and not the corporation.
As long as you have a commercial policy and the auto insurance company knows its for commercial use and know all the drivers I would think you would be ok

06-17-2009, 12:05 AM
Commercial policy, with all employees added to the policy. No, its not cheap, but shop around if its truely insane.

kaferhaus
06-17-2009, 12:06 AM
Are sure if it matters if an individual owns the truck and not the corporation.
As long as you have a commercial policy and the auto insurance company knows its for commercial use and know all the drivers I would think you would be ok

You are correct but miss the point he tried to make. The insurance only covers you up to the policy limits... say you have a commercial policy with 1M liability, your employee runs a red light and kills some people. you get sued and end up with a 5M judgement. The insurance co pays out the 1M and the victims attorney then has your home and all of your other assets siezed to pay off the judgement.

A corp or LLC ownership of those vehicles would limit the plantiff's ability to come after your personal assets.

vincent1
06-17-2009, 12:24 AM
You are correct but miss the point he tried to make. The insurance only covers you up to the policy limits... say you have a commercial policy with 1M liability, your employee runs a red light and kills some people. you get sued and end up with a 5M judgement. The insurance co pays out the 1M and the victims attorney then has your home and all of your other assets siezed to pay off the judgement.

A corp or LLC ownership of those vehicles would limit the plantiff's ability to come after your personal assets.

Ok now I see the light. You are exactly correct

dishboy
06-17-2009, 07:22 AM
Make sure your commercial policy spells out that utility trailer and equipment also or it is not covered.

bohiaa
06-17-2009, 08:21 AM
one funny story....

a firend of a friend, " who is kind of stupid " hired a few mexicians. turned them loose with truck and trailer. never to be seen again.

Employee thief. it happens

kaferhaus
06-17-2009, 08:36 AM
one funny story....

a firend of a friend, " who is kind of stupid " hired a few mexicians. turned them loose with truck and trailer. never to be seen again.

Employee thief. it happens

Well he saved a bunch of money on labor didn't he!

The HD down here will not rent equipment to anyone without a Alabama drivers license. They had mexican's coming in with TX, CO and NM driver's licenses, renting equipment and never being seen again. DL's were "legit" but apparently the identities were not. they were people who "did not exist".

And now if you move here and try to swap your out of state license for a Alabama license they will still require other proof of ID like a certified birth certificate or passport if your current license is from a state that will grant licenses to illegals. Of course this is whether you look like a mexican or not.

And while the INS or border patrol will arrest any illegal the sheriff comes with them and takes the employer into custody also! A lot of out of state contractors who bid construction jobs here and brought their mexicans with them have had a rude awakening.

All it takes for people to get "fed up" and start making those phone calls regularly. Like everything else the squeeky wheel gets the grease.

Construction contractors here got tired of losing bids to out of state contractors that were bringing illegals in to do the work.

txgrassguy
06-17-2009, 08:37 AM

Exactly how many times has a situation like this occurred in the turf industry???
Besides, you are discounting specific state's and their respective tort reform laws, of which Florida and Texas are both involved, which specifically disallows the type of behavior you mentioned.

As to the original poster simply acquire commercial vehicle insurance quotes, insure the equipment on your policy for replacement value - not fair market value, and do the same on your inland marine policy.

Regarding the profitability of a second vehicle/crew, well it's all up to you and how well you have trained that crew before offering them the opportunity to work under limited supervision.

kaferhaus
06-17-2009, 08:48 AM
Regarding the profitability of a second vehicle/crew, well it's all up to you and how well you have trained that crew before offering them the opportunity to work under limited supervision.

And that's why you have crew leaders who are responsible for both productivity and customer satisfactioin on that route. And it's why you pay that guy several bucks an hour more than the other two.

All of my crew leaders have been with me for over 3yrs 2 of them for 10. They also get bonuses based upon the amount their crew's gross revenue and the customer satisfaction surveys we do.

The 2 longest term guys I even trust to do "work plans" on new jobs... they can figure the most efficient plan for getting a job done nearly as well as I can and put in on a "cut card" for that account.

When I "retire" in the next few years one of the two of them will end up running the business's day to day operations.