PDA

View Full Version : Making the switch from lawncare to landscaping......

tomoaktree
04-08-2002, 06:25 PM
How many of you have made the switch or wants to add more landscaping work to their business?

How many of you started out cutting grass and now do more landscape design and installs?:)

PAPS
04-08-2002, 09:22 PM
At one point I was all maintenance.... however, most of my business is hardscapes, design/plantings, machine work, grading-excavating, etc. however, we do still have (1) maint. crew that handles about 100 accts. or so. but in terms of gross sales... its about 70-30 construction..

paul
04-08-2002, 10:04 PM
Can't help you here. Our company has never done maintance. 100% install.

LawnLad
04-09-2002, 09:52 AM
We aren't switching from maintenance to installations, just adding the service. Installations are about 25% of landscape revenue. If the percentage grows or changes, I could care less, as long as we're making money with both installation and maintenance.

We started doing more installation work because so many people want it. It's an easy sell to our existing maintenance customers, and those people that we do installations for often become maintenance customers. We try and build long lasting relationships either way.

In recessionary periods maintenance may be more steady since often installations are paid for with discresionary funds. There is still installation work to do in down times, it'll just be tighter and if there are too many guys in the market, it'll be the ones with contacts/relationships that got asked to bid. Price almost always winning out.

kris
04-09-2002, 08:28 PM
We added Maintenance 2 years ago .... gross sales 90% install 10% maintenance.

We have added more maintenance this year ...not really looking for anymore it has just happened.

We are finding it nice to have a couple of maintenance crews around but it will not be our main focus.

A benifit is when you have to supply maintenance on projects you have done ( 1 year ). We are doing a Municipal job and they call for it in the contract. In the past when we were required to do this it was done poorly to say the least.. landscapers were sent out on rainy days and they hated doing it.. now we have dedicated crews, its just another stop for them and they do a excellent job at it.

Paul ... do you have to maintain the city projects you do for a specific amount of time?

paul
04-09-2002, 09:24 PM
Kris, we do have to, and that does make for a few problems. One crew I have is run by an X maintance guy, guess who does the maintance:)

Most of our contracts run 30 to 90 days maintance. Mostly to establish plants and seed.

affprop
04-14-2002, 09:02 PM
I was 90% install but labor was hard to find I was getting behind on jobs, last season did mostly maint. the bottom line went up by 20-30% so Im going to stay maint.:blob4:

rodfather
04-15-2002, 09:33 PM
Maintenance 2/3, everything else 1/3. Hasn't changed 5% either way in the last 8 years.