PDA

View Full Version : Handheld prices

unkownfl
06-16-2009, 09:27 PM
Does everyone pay list price on there equipment. I went in to buy a stihl edger and they want exactly list price. I was just curious if everyone pays this.

Heintooga
06-16-2009, 09:39 PM
Most independent dealers in my area will negotiate, some more and some less. Some dealers won't budge, though. Cash does better than plastic or checks.

TomberLawn
06-16-2009, 09:42 PM
I think that's pretty typical, unless you buy several pieces of equipment at the same dealer. Handhelds usually don't have much markup on them--maybe $40-80 depending on what it is. Having said that, I have seen some price differences on the same piece of equipment at different dealers, but usually not much difference, like $20.

hackitdown
06-16-2009, 09:46 PM
I paid list for all my Stihl stuff.

Sucks.

unkownfl
06-16-2009, 09:49 PM
Yeah stihl fc110 or something like that 4 mix straight shaft edger over 400.

STIHL GUY
06-16-2009, 10:42 PM
well im going to buy a BR600 so ill see if the dealer will knock off a few bucks. i got cash too

kaferhaus
06-16-2009, 11:06 PM
It wasn't always this way as I didn't have much "leverage", but I don't pay list for anything. Things my dealer can't really compete on I buy from a distributor or through the factory's fleet programs.

The dealer pretty much comes to attention when I come in the door these days but we've had our "issues" in years past, enough that I spent about 50K with one of his competitors in about a 2 month period 2yrs ago. That got his attention and we're now back on "good buddy" terms.

It also depends heavily on where you are and how much competition the dealer has. this area is covered up in outdoor power equipment dealers which tends to keep prices a bit lower. Obviously these guys have to eat too and I have no problem with them making money, I need them to make money so they can stay in business and continue to compete with each other keeping our prices reasonable.

Mark up on most handhelds is about 20-25% BUT they get "incentive" programs all the time... for example FS90Rs and BR600s have had a factory backed incentive program going on for several months. something like $50 off on a BR600 and $30 off on a FS90, some dealers price the equipment with the "incentive" prices to move more product but some.... just keep on charging you the list price and pocket the extra money (they're supposed to mark the equipment down but some don't)

I get 10% off the lsit price + any "program discounts". I always buy when there's a program discount unless it's some emergency which is rare as we have backups for everything.

W.L.M.
06-16-2009, 11:30 PM
My dealer knocks usually 10-20 % off depending on what it is but he does not sell stihl ( not that I want anything else stihl) but when I bought my fs130 the dealer would not budge at all even if I would have bought all of my other equipment from him. I think it is just a stihl thing with the fixed pricing, you need to have a real good relationship with your dealer for them to deal on stihl products.

mowerknower
06-16-2009, 11:37 PM
Dealers that give you a brake on wholegoods are gonna get you somewhere else. They need to make a certain amount to survice so you can either pay them now or pay them later. Usually dealers that discount have a 6 week back log (because they dont have the money to pay for good techs), they only order parts once a week (cause they want to make money on shipping). I have said it before, stick with the dealer that takes care of you the best. Ok ok, I know someone is gonna come on here and say "thats why I buy all my parts from JThomas and do all my own repairs" My answer is, you have to buy all your parts their and do your own repairs because you have burned every bridge with every dealer.

Scagguy
06-17-2009, 12:34 AM
Retail is for people that don't know how to negotiate.

marcuslawnguy
06-17-2009, 12:37 AM
a good dealer will always make you a offer you can't refuse. I don't like haggling somebody to get something cheaper as I don't like to get done like that. When I show up I say I like it and want it if the offer is good and they know you have the money a good dealer will get that piece of equipment in your hands.

kaferhaus
06-17-2009, 12:46 AM
Retail is for people that don't know how to negotiate.

yes, and good dealers know how to keep your business and who will "lay down" and who won't.

I don't buy many things from the dealer, no blades, no oil, no filters, no trimmer line etc. I buy all of that in bulk either from distributors or on-line dealers. The only repair work the dealer sees is warranty work and we've had very, very little of that ever. I buy some parts from him if I cannot locate them cheaper somewhere else. Most ZTR parts are "off the shelf" parts and are not unique to that mower. If you know how to find them you can buy things such as spindles, pulleys etc for sometimes half the price.

Every penny I spend that I didn't need too is a penny taken out of my pocket, retriement account or money that could be used for other things.

With an operation the size of mine, just saving 5% here and there ends up being a good chunk of change at the end of the year.

I also NEVER buy logo merchandise, like hat's t-shirts etc. I'm not going to spend my money advertizing for someone else. My dealer offered to sell me a case of Stihl hats at his cost. I turned him down saying "I don't provide hats to my employee's. If you want to give them to me I'll be glad to pass them around". I do provide company T-shirts but that's to advertise MY business and so the customer(s) know who's on their property.

unkownfl
06-17-2009, 01:19 AM
yes, and good dealers know how to keep your business and who will "lay down" and who won't.

I don't buy many things from the dealer, no blades, no oil, no filters, no trimmer line etc. I buy all of that in bulk either from distributors or on-line dealers. The only repair work the dealer sees is warranty work and we've had very, very little of that ever. I buy some parts from him if I cannot locate them cheaper somewhere else. Most ZTR parts are "off the shelf" parts and are not unique to that mower. If you know how to find them you can buy things such as spindles, pulleys etc for sometimes half the price.

Every penny I spend that I didn't need too is a penny taken out of my pocket, retriement account or money that could be used for other things.

With an operation the size of mine, just saving 5% here and there ends up being a good chunk of change at the end of the year.

I also NEVER buy logo merchandise, like hat's t-shirts etc. I'm not going to spend my money advertizing for someone else. My dealer offered to sell me a case of Stihl hats at his cost. I turned him down saying "I don't provide hats to my employee's. If you want to give them to me I'll be glad to pass them around". I do provide company T-shirts but that's to advertise MY business and so the customer(s) know who's on their property.

I know you have a big operation and all, but I think you are required to provide hats, gloves, safety googles, and hearing protection.

kaferhaus
06-17-2009, 01:30 AM
I know you have a big operation and all, but I think you are required to provide hats, gloves, safety googles, and hearing protection.

no "hats" unless they're running a chainsaw, polesaw or overhead hedge trimming. then it's a hard hat. Hard hats are kept on the trucks.

They're issued a pair of gloves and safety glasses when they're hired and disposable earplugs are kept on the trucks.

I've been through at least half a dozen OSHA "audits" and we've never had a single citation and only 2 "recommendations" and those concerned the shop's maintenance area.

Richard Martin
06-17-2009, 06:50 AM
Most of time I paid whatever the dealer wants. Usually list unless it's a mower. I do try to keep an eye out for dealer field or Spring clearance sales. I picked up a Shindy T-231 for $219 a couple of years ago.