PDA

View Full Version : Is the Stihl MS 180 a good beginner saw

Cuttinitclose
06-16-2009, 11:31 PM
As the title states, for storm cleanup and bush removal? Its in my price range, a good size for me to handle, and weight as this will be my first saw. Price range is around $250. But I figure this will be a good beginner so I can buy the protective stuff too.

kaferhaus
06-16-2009, 11:32 PM
find another 100 bucks and buy the 290. It's a MUCH better saw.

mowerknower
06-16-2009, 11:38 PM
180 is kinda a waste, you might as well go with the 170 and save a few bucks or move up to a bigger saw.

Cuttinitclose
06-16-2009, 11:40 PM
This sounds ******ed but I'm not that big of a person and with it being my first saw I want it to be something I can manage. I've heard the 290's are quite heavy.

mowerknower
06-16-2009, 11:45 PM
Im just saying the ms170 and ms180 are very similar saws, I think it is a waste spend the extra money on the 180. Maybe go with a 210 or 250, very light and managable. If its your first saw, do yourself a favor and get chaps. Chaps are a lot cheaper than stiches

Cuttinitclose
06-16-2009, 11:50 PM
Im just saying the ms170 and ms180 are very similar saws, I think it is a waste spend the extra money on the 180. Maybe go with a 210 or 250, very light and managable. If its your first saw, do yourself a favor and get chaps. Chaps are a lot cheaper than stiches

Oh yes I plan on the cut ******ant chaps and forestry helment system as I already have saftey glasses. I'll ask the dealer to see what he says. If I find that I "out grow" the 180 I will look at the Farm Boss down the road.

mowerknower
06-16-2009, 11:52 PM
Hey, chaps are not retarted. I put them on everytime I fire up a saw. You never know when the chain will snap or pop off. I dont know about you but I really dont want to loose a leg, or worse.....

Cuttinitclose
06-16-2009, 11:59 PM
Oh yes I plan on the cut ******ant chaps and forestry helment system as I already have saftey glasses. I'll ask the dealer to see what he says. If I find that I "out grow" the 180 I will look at the Farm Boss down the road.

Hey, chaps are not retarted. I put them on everytime I fire up a saw. You never know when the chain will snap or pop off. I dont know about you but I really dont want to loose a leg, or worse.....

I said ******ant. See, look up. No I did not change the spelling. Although I stink at spelling.

mowerknower
06-17-2009, 12:11 AM
I know, couldnt quite tell if it was sarcastic.

Cuttinitclose
06-17-2009, 12:17 AM
Oh I gottcha now.

mower&more1986
06-17-2009, 12:59 AM
use to 199$ for the 180 then they came out with the 181. and that thing is
260$! what the..... new fancy chainsaw tech is expensive
im sticking with my old homelite tell it dies then i'll have to get a new saw.
give you an idea what an 180 can do check this out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIirv474tvs&feature=channel_page

edit about my homelite videos i dont cut stuff that big offen. actully that pretty much the only time I'll probley see somthing that big. mostly storm debries
carp i unstalled my spell check im sol on this post :)

Cuttinitclose
06-17-2009, 01:01 AM
Does anyone one this saw care to review it hear?

ancjr
06-17-2009, 01:20 AM
MS180 review: Starts on the second pull when cold, first when warm. Cuts great - I'm happy with it even in oak/ash/black walnut. The fuel tank seems small if you're doing a lot of cutting. Anything else? :)

mowerknower
06-17-2009, 02:12 AM
We use the Ms170 to cut open new mower crates. It starts and cuts like a dream everytime. That narrow chain doesnt require much power to cut. I cut down a 2 foot wide tree last year with it. The thing is a champ. You cant beat a stihl chain saw.

Nosmo
06-17-2009, 06:45 AM
Here's a link to my dealer's site. There is a click on info to all the Stihl saws and their levels of usage and recommendation.

http://www.stihldealer.net/categoryinfo-dealer-043131-toplvl-2-catid-2.aspx

Here is another link to a professional aborist site. This site has a section "Chainsaws" and you can ask your question there. You'll get replies from all over the country .

http://www.arboristsite.com/index.php

DaddyRabbit
06-17-2009, 07:29 AM
Don't be fooled, I have the MS180 and a variety of other Husky XP's that will flat get the job done in a hurry. Funny thing is, the little 180 is my go to saw, its light and runs like a raped ape. For what you're doing you can't go wrong w/the MS180.

As the title states, for storm cleanup and bush removal? Its in my price range, a good size for me to handle, and weight as this will be my first saw. Price range is around $250. But I figure this will be a good beginner so I can buy the protective stuff too.

Cuttinitclose
06-17-2009, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the reviews, keep em comin.

topsites
06-17-2009, 12:10 PM
For about that same money, the starter saw I bought my 2nd year was the 021 which is nowadays the 210.
I originally bought the 021 because Hurricane Isabelle had just went through,
I cut many a fallen tree for my customers at the time, big and small and all kinds, yup, with the 021.

It's light and powerful enough, I'm not a big guy and the 290 has so much power...
Folks if you're going full tilt and that chain catches you might want to forget the stupid kick-back mechanism because
by then it could be too late, fact is you need to have enough strength to hold that saw steady when it stops on a dime.
I could probably use a 230-250 with ease, maybe the 290 but I'm telling you it is scary powerful.

I like my 021, so much so that when it crapped out after 2 years I bought another, the numbers
have changed so I have both an 021 and a 210, they are the same saw.
I got the old one running again after it sat for 1-2 years...
They both run today, I have 3-4 chains for them, I use them about a dozen times a year.

Best thing I ever bought, a bit underpowered now that I'm used to it, but I've always ran the 16" (or is it 14") bar
that it comes with standard and I am telling you, there ain't many trees it can't do.
And the trees it won't do because of size, I don't want to do those.

The best thing about the 210 is once I got used to it, I can run mine with one hand,
not my favorite way of doing things but in cases where I have to keep my free hand
on something else (like a ladder), I doubt I can run bigger saws one handed.

Anyhow, the 210's got my vote in case you hadn't guessed.

Cuttinitclose
06-17-2009, 12:16 PM
That would be my next choice topsites.

jkilov
06-17-2009, 04:45 PM
It is a good saw, even used by loggers for thinning. If you can get it without the "ez crap" it's a winner. Vibrates a bit, but 170 less than 180.

Thing is there are'nt many saws in this weight category with decent power, so it's either this one or dishing out a lot of cash for the pro version.

joed
06-17-2009, 05:34 PM
You might want to try the Stihl MS211. It's a new one that came out this year and is one step above the MS180/MS170. It has a 35 cc engine along with Stihl's new stratified 2 stroke engine that produces less emissions and is 20% more fuel efficient. Nice thing is that it only weighs 9.5 lbs. The saw has been getting some good reviews on arboristsite.