PDA

View Full Version : Bad Boy Mower cuts like crap

MMLawnCare
06-17-2009, 12:18 AM
My Dad recently bought a Bad Boy, 30hp with 52" deck, and I am convinced that thing is junk. It tears the turf somethin terrible. And I have never had any trouble with turf tear till I got on this thing. And he also gets grass clumped up under the mower deck and the Bad Boy Co. rep that he talked to told him to clean under the deck and spray it with Pam Cooking Spray. Thats the dumbest thing I ever heard. And then they tried to tell him he was mowin too fast and when the grass was too wet. Well then, why can we mow with every other mower at the same time but not the BAD BOY. And one blade doesn't seem like it is mowing all the grass evenly like the other blades and the rep. said that maybe it had a wrong blade on it. No, wrong answer. What next, this thing doesn't even have 20 hours on it yet. I hope somebody high up in Bad Boy reads this and will help my Dad get some satisfaction. Have you guys ever had any dealings with Bad Boy mowers?

FastMan
06-17-2009, 12:24 AM
MM, are you behind something solid? http://www.epicski.com/img/vbsmilies/smilies/duck.gif
:laugh:

kaferhaus
06-17-2009, 12:27 AM
Do a google search on them. I've never even seen one of them. If other people are having a problem I'm sure someone else is whinning about it too.

topsites
06-17-2009, 12:28 AM
No but I can tell you one thing, and it makes me sick to even think or talk about it...

I have bought two new high dollar mowers, and only because of what another business owner told me did I do what comes next...
Before I even ran either the first time, I took it home and parked it someplace until I had some time.
Then, I took several hours and went over the entire machine piece by piece, and I mean with manual in hand and tools and all.

And we shouldn't have to do this, nor do I know if this problem is worldwide or only in America, but it's definitely in America.
On both mowers I found a slew of discrepancies, results of shoddy workmanship both on the assembly line and at the dealership.
Most things were minor and I fixed them out of principle, perhaps a bolt wasn't as tight as the rest.
A few things were not so minor, I fixed these to be sure I wouldn't have any trouble,
things like a wheel that had not been greased at all, maybe an adjustment a ways too loose or too tight.

One or two things were what I would not consider minor at all, things that had I left them as they
were would have resulted in at least one return trip to the dealership.

Things such as a belt being just tight enough to provide power, but loose enough to where I knew
from experience it wouldn't last 30 days.
Oh and that falls under wear and tear, no warranty coverage on a belt.

So, what can I say?
Keep driving to the dealer...
Or take care of it, start a full visual and manual inspection of the entire machine, fix anything that's out of place and
be prepared to spend some quality time with it.

Might not be the best news of the day, but I hope it helps.

retrodog
06-17-2009, 12:36 AM
First thing, check the blades for nicks and to make sure they are sharp. They might need a fresh set (especially if you hit sticks or rocks, etc). After mowing wet grass, there will be build up on most mower decks that you have to scrape off (some engine/deck combos are better than others). As far as the cooking spray thing goes, I do know of quite a few people (with all kinds of mowers) that lube the underside of their decks one way or another because they don't like the labor of scraping grass with a paint scraper. On the tearing up the turf, you have to master turning the mower around on the grass, if you are not careful, you can actually tear holes in the ground, took me a day or two to get used to turning a torquey zero turn. I am curious as to who from the factory would have given out that kind of information...and sounded so inconsiderate. And as far as the cut quality goes, I have some of the pickiest people I have ever heard of about their turf, and all loves the way their mower mows. Sounds like a simple "slower more thought out" turn, and a fresh set of hi lift fusion blades would solve this issue, but I could be wrong. If there ends up being an issue here, I have every reason to believe the factory would solve it and make it right. Try my suggestion, and then let us know if it helped.

MMLawnCare
06-17-2009, 12:38 AM
Everything looks good on the mower and it is definitely made tough. Just doesn't cut worth a damn. And if they don't cut good then they aren't worth buying.

TheC-Master
06-17-2009, 12:40 AM
No but I can tell you one thing, and it makes me sick to even think or talk about it...

I have bought two new high dollar mowers, and only because of what another business owner told me did I do what comes next...
Before I even ran either the first time, I took it home and parked it someplace until I had some time.
Then, I took several hours and went over the entire machine piece by piece, and I mean with manual in hand and tools and all.

And we shouldn't have to do this, nor do I know if this problem is worldwide or only in America, but it's definitely in America.
On both mowers I found a slew of discrepancies, results of shoddy workmanship both on the assembly line and at the dealership.
Most things were minor and I fixed them out of principle, perhaps a bolt wasn't as tight as the rest.
A few things were not so minor, I fixed these to be sure I wouldn't have any trouble,
things like a wheel that had not been greased at all, maybe an adjustment a ways too loose or too tight.

One or two things were what I would not consider minor at all, things that had I left them as they
were would have resulted in at least one return trip to the dealership.

Things such as a belt being just tight enough to provide power, but loose enough to where I knew
from experience it wouldn't last 30 days.
Oh and that falls under wear and tear, no warranty coverage on a belt.

So, what can I say?
Keep driving to the dealer...
Or take care of it, start a full visual and manual inspection of the entire machine, fix anything that's out of place and
be prepared to spend some quality time with it.

Might not be the best news of the day, but I hope it helps.You aren't lying, the bolt came off while I was working and killed two hours of my time driving to get a new one on... I couldn't move the thing so I had to leave it at the yard.

MMLawnCare
06-17-2009, 12:44 AM
Retrodog,this is his home mower and it doesn't even have 15 hrs on it yet. It shouldn't need a new set of blades, he doesn't have any rocks in the yard or anything either. My 13 year old John Deere 455 doesn't even clump grass up as bad as this thing. It should do better than this from the factory, but thanks for the tips.

retrodog
06-17-2009, 12:44 AM
i have read a lot from dwost which also made my decision in buying a bad boy. I have a 60inch Pup with a 30hp kohler. Here are some stripes from up north west NJ. Love the machine! After looking at bob cats and toros i am very happy with my choice.

No strip kit
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/cjbarbour19/0612091135.jpg

With same strip kit dwost made

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/cjbarbour19/0521091922.jpg

I will try to get some more this week

Here is a 30hp bad boy in action, please take the time to swap blades out because from everything I could think of, that has to be the only issue here.

retrodog
06-17-2009, 12:52 AM
Retrodog,this is his home mower and it doesn't even have 15 hrs on it yet. It shouldn't need a new set of blades, he doesn't have any rocks in the yard or anything either. My 13 year old John Deere 455 doesn't even clump grass up as bad as this thing. It should do better than this from the factory, but thanks for the tips.

You never know, I bent a blade the first day mowing on a cat diesel, I looked back and saw a bunch of stragglers. I was pretty upset until I pulled the mower up on the ramp and checked the blades. I never knew I hit anything. I pulled a 4 guage wire out from around a blade the other day off a customer's mower that was complaining his mower wasn't cutting right....lol. If that is the case, hopefully you have a good dealer, and you can take it in to him and show him what its doing. I had a $13000 722d I bought brand new and it left clumps, I tried everyway possible to fix it, and no one understood what in the world I was talking about when I showed it to them. I even bought a br600 stihl blower just to blow my yards off after I mowed them. The dealer and all his mechanics just told me it cut just fine. I honestly tried 6 different blade brands till I found one that cut like I wanted it too.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-17-2009, 01:38 AM
since i dont know what your cutting i cant really tell you anything but maybe try hi lift blades or gator blades, if they dont work you should really contact bad boy and make a big stink! i have heard they are doing so well they hired a bunch of people so they should have no problem helping a customer out with a buy back and a different mower that you tested and liked! it really sounds like you guys are ticked off and i dont blame you so i would get the rep to mow with your mower or get somone that can do somthing like the salesman to mow with it point out whats wrong and if they cant fix whats wrong make them take it back. if you have any friends that are lawyers have them send a letter to the sales man as a last resort! sorry about your troubles i hate to hear about people spending big money and not being satisffied in these tough times.

MS_SURVEYOR
06-17-2009, 01:46 AM
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu216/MS-SURVEYOR/June-12-2009017.jpg?t=1245213843

A Bad Boy Pup 30hp Kohler 52 inch deck bought last Tuesday. I love mine! Sorry you're having such a hard time.

ms

KCfireman
06-17-2009, 02:04 AM
should've got a Wright.

MS_SURVEYOR
06-17-2009, 02:25 AM
I've been thinking about what you posted. One thing I can say is the cut of the mow is better than I would have expected with my Pup. My grass and pasture is rough. The picture I posted is my mother in law's lawn. Nice grass! We've never owned a powerful ztr before. It will burn grass if you try to turn around too fast. My wife has the touch. She has the slight to make that Puppy dance. I'm ok? I got into some stuff today that made me rethink that I needed to get a bush hog in there first, then keep it mowed. I love the way this Bad Boy mows. No need to trash it. I have found the Bad Boy Company is good to do business with. TECHNICAL SUPPORT, Phone: (870) 307-6648, has been very good to talk to. They may not answer, or call back on the spot. But they will get back. I called today about my deck switch not working. A couple of checks, and I was good to go. My dealer was good to buy from. I'm sure he'll step up to the plate. But Bad Boy goes beyond the call. Try

TECHNICAL SUPPORT, Phone: (870) 307-6648

I'm sure they'll get you right!

ms

MS_SURVEYOR
06-17-2009, 02:28 AM
should've got a Wright.

May be my next 1!

:walking:

See Ya!:cool2:

KCfireman
06-17-2009, 02:39 AM
May be my next 1!

:walking:

See Ya!:cool2:I'm just givin ya a hard time.:drinkup:

MS_SURVEYOR
06-17-2009, 02:42 AM
I know Ya were!

:cool2:

:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

MS_SURVEYOR
06-17-2009, 02:44 AM
The funny thing about that limb in the picture was, my wife said, "where did that limb come from?" For the tree right after you finished, and just before I took the picture!!!

DaddyRabbit
06-17-2009, 07:24 AM
Man, I like that St. Aug grass. I wish I could trade you my wire grass/wild Bermuda weed that is for all intensive purposes "indestructible".

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu216/MS-SURVEYOR/June-12-2009017.jpg?t=1245213843

A Bad Boy Pup 30hp Kohler 52 inch deck bought last Tuesday. I love mine! Sorry you're having such a hard time.

ms

dishboy
06-17-2009, 08:24 AM
should've got a Wright.

So he could have two marginally acceptable cutting machines?

davidcalhoun
06-17-2009, 10:23 AM
As for tearing up turf, it sound like we need to explain what a 3-point turn is.

When you come to the 180 degree turn, first slow down. Then turn forward one direction 90 degrees and then backup the remaining 90 degrees before you continue mowing the other direction. Make sure you do not "jam' the levers or you will most certainly tear the turf.

Also pics of the cut would help to trouble shoot other cutting problems.

dwost
06-17-2009, 11:22 AM
I'd also like to interject a few things to check.

As for your issues with cut check the following:

1) Obviously pull the blades and check for balance, bends, nicks etc... as stated, even with low hours you can still have issues and it may have come like this from the factory.

2) Check deck is level side-to-side and has at least a 1/4" pitch front to back. (this is has been known on many brands to cause issues. be sure to set your tire pressure first (I'm running 10psi all around) and make sure it's on level ground when measuring. Also make the adjustments with the deck raised all the way up. You will gain more pitch as it drops to your cutting height.

3) Verify that you are running 3600 rpms UNLOADED (meaing without blades engaged and not moving) if not, adjust the plate (if kawi) or refer to your manual if you are running the briggs........I'm not familiar with the setup on the other engine.

As for your turf tearing issues do the following:

1) Not trying to be a d#@k but it's usually caused by operator inexperience/error. Quick inputs will yield wheel spin. Learn to finess the controls as all mowers are different. You really need seat time to learn the engagement points of the mower. Also learn the "3 point turn"

2) Adjust both the resistance and smoothness of the hydros by moving the pistons and pump rods on the bottom of the drive arms. You can increase/decrease resistance and engagement of the hydros by simply moving the rods up or down. I've got my pistons in the top hole and rods in the bottom. This makes it extremely touchy with less stick travel. I'd suggest the opposite on yours and put the piston in the lowest setting. This will allow for a much smoother engagement. I personally like the response.

All of these procedures are very well detailed in the service manual which you can download directly off the site. Try these tips first and see where it puts you. If not, I KNOW they customer service dept will help you out (if your dealer won't) as they have been nothing but overly helpful to everyone I know that has used them. Good luck and let us know how you make out. If it's setup correctly there is no reason why you should not have great results like the rest of us. Here are some examples that I've posted up: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=265997

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=272576

nosparkplugs
06-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Is this your dads first ZTR? also how tall is the grass. Does the BB have a mulch kit or chute blocker. Their is a slight learning curve with ZTR's a Zero Turn Rider, can turn within it's own tracks or width for this reason ALL ZTR's have the potential to tear the turf.

This is were good dealer service comes into play your Dad needs to take some pics post them on here, or get the Dealer out to the property to see the crappy cutting first hand.

I have the Bad Boy AOS diesel it lays a manicured cut, zero trouble with the cut quality out of the box. The last thing you need to do is call Bad Boy up, and act like a two year old, you have the right to be pissed off, but cussing out Bad Boy gets you nothing. Bad Boy customer service is second to none, act like an adult talking with them, explain your problem you will get great results. How old are you??? Where is your DAD on this.

My Dad recently bought a Bad Boy, 30hp with 52" deck, and I am convinced that thing is junk. It tears the turf somethin terrible. And I have never had any trouble with turf tear till I got on this thing. And he also gets grass clumped up under the mower deck and the Bad Boy Co. rep that he talked to told him to clean under the deck and spray it with Pam Cooking Spray. Thats the dumbest thing I ever heard. And then they tried to tell him he was mowin too fast and when the grass was too wet. Well then, why can we mow with every other mower at the same time but not the BAD BOY. And one blade doesn't seem like it is mowing all the grass evenly like the other blades and the rep. said that maybe it had a wrong blade on it. No, wrong answer. What next, this thing doesn't even have 20 hours on it yet. I hope somebody high up in Bad Boy reads this and will help my Dad get some satisfaction. Have you guys ever had any dealings with Bad Boy mowers?

IndianSprings
06-17-2009, 12:29 PM
We run two BB's 60" 26 liquid cooled Kawasaki's, and have had no issues, both have over 500 hrs. We have run JD's, Gravely and Kubota. Each brand is a little different in the input needed on the controls. At first we left a few "burn" marks, but grew use to the rapid response. We mow mainly fescue/clover or bermuda lawns and have had no issue with clumping. We run our deflectors up unless is very close proximity to a building. We've been in the business since 78 and don't want to sound like a know it all, but it sounds like it may be a combination of going to fast, moisture and lack of time on a ZTR.
Any brand will "burn" the lawn with too fast of input. I know it's obvious but have you checked to see that the blades were installed correctly and not upside down? Everyone is capable of making a lemon, but in this area BB is rapidly gaining market share, due to outstanding products and dealer support.
Call the company, don't raise hell and I'm sure they will resolve any issues you have to your satisfaction.

ALC-GregH
06-17-2009, 01:26 PM
I'd also like to interject a few things to check.

As for your issues with cut check the following:

1) Obviously pull the blades and check for balance, bends, nicks etc... as stated, even with low hours you can still have issues and it may have come like this from the factory.

2) Check deck is level side-to-side and has at least a 1/4" pitch front to back. (this is has been known on many brands to cause issues. be sure to set your tire pressure first (I'm running 10psi all around) and make sure it's on level ground when measuring. Also make the adjustments with the deck raised all the way up. You will gain more pitch as it drops to your cutting height.

3) Verify that you are running 3600 rpms UNLOADED (meaing without blades engaged and not moving) if not, adjust the plate (if kawi) or refer to your manual if you are running the briggs........I'm not familiar with the setup on the other engine.

As for your turf tearing issues do the following:

1) Not trying to be a d#@k but it's usually caused by operator inexperience/error. Quick inputs will yield wheel spin. Learn to finess the controls as all mowers are different. You really need seat time to learn the engagement points of the mower. Also learn the "3 point turn"

2) Adjust both the resistance and smoothness of the hydros by moving the pistons and pump rods on the bottom of the drive arms. You can increase/decrease resistance and engagement of the hydros by simply moving the rods up or down. I've got my pistons in the top hole and rods in the bottom. This makes it extremely touchy with less stick travel. I'd suggest the opposite on yours and put the piston in the lowest setting. This will allow for a much smoother engagement. I personally like the response.

All of these procedures are very well detailed in the service manual which you can download directly off the site. Try these tips first and see where it puts you. If not, I KNOW they customer service dept will help you out (if your dealer won't) as they have been nothing but overly helpful to everyone I know that has used them. Good luck and let us know how you make out. If it's setup correctly there is no reason why you should not have great results like the rest of us. Here are some examples that I've posted up: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=265997

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=272576

I disagree with this. You should set the pitch with the blade tip height set at your common cutting height. If the ideal pitch setting is 1/4 inch, why would you want it to gain MORE pitch as the height of the deck is lowered? Makes no sense to me.

nosparkplugs
06-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Yep, Also why mess with the deck in the FIRST PLACE the dealer can now say you "f" it up:hammerhead:

OH! add this:::
A good analogy would be if a car or truck has a shatty factory paint job, you would not then go re- paint it yourself, and then take it back to the dealer to complain.

I disagree with this. You should set the pitch with the blade tip height set at your common cutting height. If the ideal pitch setting is 1/4 inch, why would you want it to gain MORE pitch as the height of the deck is lowered? Makes no sense to me.

dwost
06-17-2009, 02:24 PM
ALC: I've found anywhere from 1/4 - 1/2" works quite well. Per the factory recommendation in their service manual this should be adjusted with the deck in raised position. It's not like it will go from 1/4" to 2" when dropped, the amount is minimal.

Plugs: Good point, first consult your dealer. For me, however, I don't have a local BB dealer and with something as simple as this it's hard to dick it up. I agree if this were a blown engine or some major malfunction I'd get BB (or my dealer) involved. Personal preference I guess but I try to find the solution myself before having to pack up, transport and wait to have a dealer do something that is as simple as adjusting a few bolts.

nosparkplugs
06-17-2009, 02:34 PM
I know you had trouble dialing in your BB cut, I have adjusted one deck in ten years it was a JD 7-Iron it was because my business partner took the mower home to "bushogg" and got it stuck, and was too embarrassed to call me, to ask where to hook a tow strap he decided to use the front cast arm, and then pulled the machine from the side. ripped the castor arm off the F-680 front mower, it needed to be rewelded I spend a good hour getting that deck level.

ALC: I've found anywhere from 1/4 - 1/2" works quite well. Per the factory recommendation in their service manual this should be adjusted with the deck in raised position. It's not like it will go from 1/4" to 2" when dropped, the amount is minimal.

Plugs: Good point, first consult your dealer. For me, however, I don't have a local BB dealer and with something as simple as this it's hard to dick it up. I agree if this were a blown engine or some major malfunction I'd get BB (or my dealer) involved. Personal preference I guess but I try to find the solution myself before having to pack up, transport and wait to have a dealer do something that is as simple as adjusting a few bolts.

retrodog
06-17-2009, 08:00 PM
deck calibrating is a huge pain in the butt and very time consuming to get it right. I doubt very seriously it wasn't calibrated from BB from the start. So far being a dealer I had to calibrate 1 deck, mine, and it was because during a demo he ran it straight up a tree full speed. He was mowing fine in the open part, and had it down.....I got a call and started walking to the truck. I heard this awful screaming noise (unlike I have ever heard before), turned around, and it looked like my 31hp kawasaki 60" was "humping" the tree....lol. I ran as fast as I could and gently pulled the levers back to ease him off the tree. The deck had managed to cut into the tree, and was waaay off after this experience. I gave the man a nice old Dixon to get used to all day Saturday, but needless to say, I lost a sale to a steering wheel mower that weekend....:(. What I am trying to say is please don't touch the deck unless there is a problem....it might make it harder to get right again. Let someone with a little experience look at it first to determine the issue before jumping in like that. Diagnosing is there for a reason.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-18-2009, 12:17 AM
i regularly check my deck and adjust it! i bouce arround alot and it does change every 2-3 weeks not much but things get banged arround enough and i make a quick turn of a nut here and there and i am back to perfect.

tacoma200
06-18-2009, 12:24 AM
i regularly check my deck and adjust it! i bouce arround alot .

I have a feeling your customers grab their kids and run inside when you pull up. I can see their little faces pressed up against the front window glass as your doing wheelies and rounding corners on two wheels.:laugh: Oh man, your a lot of fun. Love to meet you in person.

tacoma200
06-18-2009, 12:27 AM
I am sure what ever the problem is is very fixable since there have been few such complaints with this model. The fact that it is a first ZTR or new to your father may lead to higher expectations in these conditions. I'm sure it can be worked out.

12thKY
06-18-2009, 12:59 AM

I have adjusted two Bad Boy decks, and BOTH had to be pitched in the above manner. I don't care what the factory or who ever says if you set the pitch with the deck all the way up, it will not be right! I fought both decks trying that it and it doesn't work, period. Set the deck to the height you normally will cut, and adjust the pitch from there.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-18-2009, 01:01 AM
thanks tacoma ! we will meet one day on the mowing battle field lol scag vs exmark:waving:

you know what i find funny you have the best all around deck and i still hear that it isnt as good as some of these cheaper brand mowers, just like how mine isnt as good in certain ways, i think it is all hogwash! i know your scag 35 will pretty much beast its way through tall grass how the heck does it get any better ???:dizzy:

tacoma200
06-18-2009, 01:12 AM
thanks tacoma ! we will meet one day on the mowing battle field lol scag vs exmark:waving:

you know what i find funny you have the best all around deck and i still hear that it isnt as good as some of these cheaper brand mowers, just like how mine isnt as good in certain ways, i think it is all hogwash! i know your scag 35 will pretty much beast its way through tall grass how the heck does it get any better ???:dizzy:

You forget I'm a big Exmark fan too! I'm using a Scag because everything here has went from weekly to 10-14 days. It's always overgrown and wet (in the spring). I'm really not brand loyal but Exmark has pretty much been my favorite. The big old Scag (Mac truck of the ZTR's) just doubles as a bush hog and that's what I need with the heavy growth, extended mowing periods, wet Springs, etc. All the cutting I do seems to be extreme so I settle with a less smooth cut for a more efficient cut. The fact that the Ultra Cut cuts the grass two or three times more than the Scag just makes it harder on it in the really heavy stuff here. I'm in the transition zone, too hot for Northern grass and too cool for Southern grass but perfect for weeds and native vegetation. Exmark is still #1 in my book for more urban area's. I've owned a half dozen brands and run many more. Each company has strong points.

I just get a kick out of you, your so full of energy and idea's.:drinkup:

It's easy to tell you like engines, speed, and are wide open. I was just like you when I was younger. Now I drive slow, turn slow, super careful and probably over cautious about everything. I baby my equipment now. When I was younger I went through a lot of tires though burning rubber, flipped a few vehicles and finally figured out it wasn't worth it. I'm always wondering what's around the next corner when driving now(I've seen a lot of bad wrecks). Probably driving a tractor trailer a few years makes you more cautious because you can do a lot of damage with and 80,000 lb vehicle.

just4funthen
06-18-2009, 01:41 AM
I agree with RETRODOG, Blades are really important. Its like trimmer line, everyone has their own preference. Try a new set of blades. I looked on the bad boys web page and the first thing I would do is rip of that rubber discharge shield! Is there a baffle adjustment on the deck? Are you trying to cut too much grass at once? Any machine will leave clumps if the grass is soaked and your chopping 6 inches of thick grass. Looking at the web pages pictures, I am not to keen on thier deck and how they support it, looks flimsy.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-18-2009, 01:44 AM
yeah my buddy i used to drink with, a great firend of my dead uncle drives truk he was in a few accidents a few years back on the highway it was some bad stuff said he got thrown arround pretty good, he doesnt wware a belt! but anyway i can totally see how driving truck enhances your awareness!

zman2307
06-18-2009, 01:45 AM
Looking at the web pages pictures, I am not to keen on thier deck and how they support it, looks flimsy.

You've obviously never seen one in person. The ADS Pro deck is supported at 6 points vs 4 on 99% of other mowers. It has 2 category 0 tractor top links up front for levelling and support, two 3/8" thick forks at the middle running up to the frame, and 2 turnbuckle chains at the back for levelling and further support.

just4funthen
06-18-2009, 01:49 AM
OK OK Let me be the one to ask the stupid question...Are both tires teh same and proper psi? I know what all you experianced folks are thinking but I had a new guy 2 years ago that cut a entire lawn with a half flat tire and we all know what kind of results leave. you know what he said to me? He said "it gives the lawn texture" I wanted to put a rubber band around the trimmer throttle and throw it at him!

just4funthen
06-18-2009, 01:53 AM
Zman2307, your right I never seen one. Knowing what you said I would have kept my mouth shut. My bad!

MS_SURVEYOR
06-18-2009, 02:33 AM
Here a copy of the Bad Boy Service Manual.

http://www.badboymowers.com/files.php?id=IdgsKG3KAYXwYwwrDFFQmsoDvmb7UC_Iy3G2HZ8Hk_AF2csusxnsIwW2s77ksanm0M99VKF1e8TzGOKEdXx9hyq vWkprbtMl7pn5mNgZjupfXJkX9R9K1JYZP7E.

MS_SURVEYOR
06-18-2009, 03:10 AM
I'm no pro, but tire pressures mean a lot. Than sometimes the circumference of a tire makes a big difference. So at times different tires can have different pressures to have the same circumference. But I've got to say my Pup came from the dealer set up pretty darn good. I changed the tire pressures from 20 psi on the rear to 10 psi. My wife and I already knew about what it was going to take to turn a ztr through our research. So it didn't take long. Engine wide open, come to a stop, ease the control levers backward and forward easy at the same time. My wife is a natural. She has the slight to be able to do something making the caster wheels point in the direction she wants to go. Blows me away how she can make it come to a stop and walk the deck closer to a tree or bush. She a jockey for sure. Then she does have a little more time in the saddle than I. I don't know what's going on with the rig this post is about. But I'll tell every body, I've talked to Bad Boy. Bad Boy does care. One can not fix the problem if they don't know about it. Even before I bough mine, I was sending emails, making prone calls to Bad Boy, asking questions. Going to dealerships. Read post on forums like this. Going to youtube. Finding owners to talk to. But Hey! I'm a touchy feely type of guy. I want to know. Just yesterday I fired up the Pup just to check her out. The deck switch didn't want to work. I've got a good dealer. I could have called him. But I called tech support. Told the tech what was going on. Look here, check this, unplug that. It turned out it was a pig tail connector that wasn't making good contact. Hey! It happens! I now know I need to unplug that connection and use some Dielectric Grease. The tech wanted to go through more checks. I didn't have time. My wife's car was doa at the church from Sunday night. That was another problem. But Bad Boy tech support was there to get such a simple thing corrected. I'll save my dealer for the big things.

Just a phone call or email away. I like that.

ms

Sammy
06-18-2009, 08:20 AM
Most of the time, the smaller the tire, the more the psi should be.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
06-18-2009, 09:27 AM
As for tearing up turf, it sound like we need to explain what a 3-point turn is.

When you come to the 180 degree turn, first slow down. Then turn forward one direction 90 degrees and then backup the remaining 90 degrees before you continue mowing the other direction. Make sure you do not "jam' the levers or you will most certainly tear the turf.

Also pics of the cut would help to trouble shoot other cutting problems.

It isn't how he turns, it is the type or brand tires on that machine that rip the turf. I demoed a BB last summer and had the same issue and I have thousands of hours of seat time on ZTR's and know how to turn without leaving ripped up turf. I demo'ed a Everride mower on two different times of the year back in 2007 and it too ripped the turf just like the BB, and it had the same brand and type tires. Change the tires on the BB to the type used on Scag or Exmark and you should have less ripping of the grass

Rons Rightway Lawncare
06-18-2009, 09:32 AM
Also whoever keeps posting pictures of a lawn with stripes in it..... How well a mower leaves stripes is no indicator of how well it cuts. A good cut means no straglers, all the grass is cut and not just layed over, no clumps flying out of the discharge and the clippings that do come out of the discharge are reduced in size as they come out. I used the BB mower ( with 60 inch deck ) for half a day and used it on several different types of turf and although I wouldn't say it had a bad cut, I also wouldn't say I was overly impressed either.

Razorblades
06-18-2009, 10:18 AM
It isn't how he turns, it is the type or brand tires on that machine that rip the turf. I demoed a BB last summer and had the same issue and I have thousands of hours of seat time on ZTR's and know how to turn without leaving ripped up turf. I demo'ed a Everride mower on two different times of the year back in 2007 and it too ripped the turf just like the BB, and it had the same brand and type tires. Change the tires on the BB to the type used on Scag or Exmark and you should have less ripping of the grass

Do you know what brand and model tires are on the Scags or Exmarks, the ones that you're refering to? I think that my mower(Lastec) has the turfmasters, as does the Bad Boy Lightning and AOS models. They are pretty agressive but will still fill up with mud and be no better than slicks. I also think that it depends on the type, thickness and hardiness of the grass that is being cut. I've noticed that it is easy to rip up the turf when turning on the thinner, more native grass/weeds type properties than when on some of the zoysia, st augustine and bermuda areas that I cut.

johnnybravo8802
06-18-2009, 05:08 PM
Is this your dads first ZTR? also how tall is the grass. Does the BB have a mulch kit or chute blocker. Their is a slight learning curve with ZTR's a Zero Turn Rider, can turn within it's own tracks or width for this reason ALL ZTR's have the potential to tear the turf.

This is were good dealer service comes into play your Dad needs to take some pics post them on here, or get the Dealer out to the property to see the crappy cutting first hand.

I have the Bad Boy AOS diesel it lays a manicured cut, zero trouble with the cut quality out of the box. The last thing you need to do is call Bad Boy up, and act like a two year old, you have the right to be pissed off, but cussing out Bad Boy gets you nothing. Bad Boy customer service is second to none, act like an adult talking with them, explain your problem you will get great results. How old are you??? Where is your DAD on this.
How old are you kid.........I'm 33!!!!!!!!:laugh:

dwost
06-18-2009, 09:54 PM
Also whoever keeps posting pictures of a lawn with stripes in it..... How well a mower leaves stripes is no indicator of how well it cuts. A good cut means no straglers, all the grass is cut and not just layed over, no clumps flying out of the discharge and the clippings that do come out of the discharge are reduced in size as they come out. I used the BB mower ( with 60 inch deck ) for half a day and used it on several different types of turf and although I wouldn't say it had a bad cut, I also wouldn't say I was overly impressed either.

I totally agree which is why I also provided some up-close and personal shots showing the evenness of cut. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=272576 ...........any questions?

Rons Rightway Lawncare
06-18-2009, 11:52 PM
Do you know what brand and model tires are on the Scags or Exmarks, the ones that you're refering to? I think that my mower(Lastec) has the turfmasters, as does the Bad Boy Lightning and AOS models. They are pretty agressive but will still fill up with mud and be no better than slicks. I also think that it depends on the type, thickness and hardiness of the grass that is being cut. I've noticed that it is easy to rip up the turf when turning on the thinner, more native grass/weeds type properties than when on some of the zoysia, st augustine and bermuda areas that I cut.

I don't know for sure. I think the Badboy came with Kenda tires and the Scags use Carlise tires. The tires on the scag have the tread blocks spaced much closer together than the tires on the BB....

Like I said, I don't think it is the mower that tears the turf, I think it is the brand tire, since I had the same issue with two different Everride Warriors that I demoed.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
06-18-2009, 11:57 PM
I totally agree which is why I also provided some up-close and personal shots showing the evenness of cut. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=272576 ...........any questions?

No offense, but pictures don't mean a whole lot to me. How much did you cut off.... How moist was the grass..... What kind of grass was it...... Etc.... All things that could make a difference.

I can take pictures of a lawn before and after and show a crisp even cut, but how moist the grass is and how much I cut off, how dry was the outside of the grass, did I scrape the deck clean before the cut or was it " Dirty " from a weeks worth of cutting, Did I double or triple cut to make the excess clippings disappear, all things that have to be factored into how my before and after pictures would look.

I mowed several properties with the badboy and it had a decent cut. Nothing spectacular, but decent none the less.

dwost
06-19-2009, 12:27 AM
No offense, but pictures don't mean a whole lot to me. How much did you cut off.... How moist was the grass..... What kind of grass was it...... Etc.... All things that could make a difference.

I can take pictures of a lawn before and after and show a crisp even cut, but how moist the grass is and how much I cut off, how dry was the outside of the grass, did I scrape the deck clean before the cut or was it " Dirty " from a weeks worth of cutting, Did I double or triple cut to make the excess clippings disappear, all things that have tbo be factored into how my before and after pictures would look.

I mowed several properties with the badboy and it had a decent cut. Nothing spectacular, but decent none the less.

No offense taken, but you really should have read the post instead of just looking at the pictures, several of your questions would have been answered. I'll give you the Cliff Notes version. It was late April so high moisture content, KB lawn, full irrigation, cut between 8-10mph, mower had three (I think) cuts under it's belt so it was clean, single pass and I took off about 2" of fresh growth. As you would have read there are still some questions as to it's ability in "less than ideal" situations as posted by a couple naysayers. I do need to post up some pics of a more weed infested yard so you can "see" that as well. The cut is near perfect in this situation as well. I'm wondering if the decks were not setup correctly on the model you demo'd. Not sure but I will say mine cuts extremely well in varied conditions.

As with any mower as the deck gets filled with grass the quality goes down. I've found that with the stock fusions there is some clumping on very heavy, wet, high grass. I've been experimenting with different blade setups and currently run the dixie solid foil high lifts. These seem to work much better in high wet grass (cutting 12" down to 4") as the disbursement is much better. Same goes for doubles. However, the cut quality suffers with both setups. The dixies and fusions are about even when you are only topping 1" or so. I'm still experimenting and will continue to post my findings.

12thKY
06-19-2009, 01:06 AM
The best blades I've found for my conditions, are the exmark notched high lifts. They have almost twice the lift sail of the fusion, and they don't leave near as many stragglers as the fusions do for me. They are a little longer than the fusions though, so you might have to bend the baffles a little. Not much, just a little tweak with a crescent wrench. With the exmark blades it cuts everything smooth, and clean, except clover blooms :cry: I hate'em!!

No offense taken, but you really should have read the post instead of just looking at the pictures, several of your questions would have been answered. I'll give you the Cliff Notes version. It was late April so high moisture content, KB lawn, full irrigation, cut between 8-10mph, mower had three (I think) cuts under it's belt so it was clean, single pass and I took off about 2" of fresh growth. As you would have read there are still some questions as to it's ability in "less than ideal" situations as posted by a couple naysayers. I do need to post up some pics of a more weed infested yard so you can "see" that as well. The cut is near perfect in this situation as well. I'm wondering if the decks were not setup correctly on the model you demo'd. Not sure but I will say mine cuts extremely well in varied conditions.

As with any mower as the deck gets filled with grass the quality goes down. I've found that with the stock fusions there is some clumping on very heavy, wet, high grass. I've been experimenting with different blade setups and currently run the dixie solid foil high lifts. These seem to work much better in high wet grass (cutting 12" down to 4") as the disbursement is much better. Same goes for doubles. However, the cut quality suffers with both setups. The dixies and fusions are about even when you are only topping 1" or so. I'm still experimenting and will continue to post my findings.

dwost
06-19-2009, 01:21 AM
The best blades I've found for my conditions, are the exmark notched high lifts. They have almost twice the lift sail of the fusion, and they don't leave near as many stragglers as the fusions do for me. They are a little longer than the fusions though, so you might have to bend the baffles a little. Not much, just a little tweak with a crescent wrench. With the exmark blades it cuts everything smooth, and clean, except clover blooms :cry: I hate'em!!

Good to know, do you have a link to the ones you are running? I may grab a set for kicks.

12thKY
06-20-2009, 02:37 AM
Good to know, do you have a link to the ones you are running? I may grab a set for kicks.

On this thread I have a pic comparing the Exmark and the Fusion blades:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=189452&highlight=12thky

The blades are for a Exmark 60" deck. They are the blades with the 20 1/2" with the 5/8" hole NOT the new 15/16" hole that is also cupped

bradsd
04-13-2010, 01:07 PM
Im a recent buyer of a Bad Boy ZT with a 60" deck 27hp kohler and its the best cut that I have ever seen. No complaints at all from me, I am 100% satisfied customer so far. To me it was the most mower for the money and it does an amazing job of cutting. Im not sure what went wrong with the OPs mower but it should be checked out by the dealer. Im thinking the blades are upside down or something simple like that. As far as tearing up the turf, any and all zero turn mowers will do this if you do hard turns.

MOHUSTLER
04-13-2010, 04:55 PM
Please dont drag up posts this old. Start a new one please.

dbear
04-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Please dont drag up posts this old. Start a new one please.
Amen. I was trying to think up a way to say that diplomatically. Most of my responses started with "WTF".:laugh:

Mickhippy
04-13-2010, 06:49 PM
I would like to know if the problem was resolved!

MS_SURVEYOR
04-13-2010, 09:07 PM
I would like to know if the problem was resolved!

I don't know? MMLawnCare, who started the thread last logged on this site today, but has never posted since he started this thread last year.

I do own that very same mower, and couldn't be happier. The Pup cuts my nasty Bahia Grass, and mows my mother in law's fine St Augustine lawn beautifully.

Sure do hope he got things figured out.

Mickhippy
04-14-2010, 06:19 AM
I don't know? MMLawnCare, who started the thread last logged on this site today, but has never posted since he started this thread last year.

I do own that very same mower, and couldn't be happier. The Pup cuts my nasty Bahia Grass, and mows my mother in law's fine St Augustine lawn beautifully.

Sure do hope he got things figured out.

Hopefully the subscription email might wake him up! :sleeping: