PDA

View Full Version : What is the worst thing you have hit while mowing grass??

CowboysLawnCare
06-17-2009, 01:05 AM
The other day I was mowing a new account with very tall grass and I hit a 1/2 inch piece of rebar sticking out of the ground. I must have bent it over enough to shave a little bit off the top. Not 20 min. later, I hit a alluminum baseball bat. It looked like tiger stripes where the blade sliced through the bat.

My mower still ran good and cut good so I was lucky. I just wanted to know what some of yall have hit in the past and how bad of damage it was.

wmslc
06-17-2009, 01:21 AM
I hit a three foot section of re-bar last year. It was laying on the ground of a new lawn (not buried at all, and slightly elevated so the blades actually lifted it). Unfortunately, after about 20hrs on the mower, I had to replace two of the spindle housings (not covered by the warranty anymore...OUCH).

Fortunately, no injuries were involved. And that is why we charge double for the first mow (unless another respectable LCO has been maintaining).:)

CowboysLawnCare
06-17-2009, 01:25 AM
Yea, I live in South Louisiana. I know you have all heard of the Rednecks with cars on blocks in the front yards and crap everywhere. Well I cut their grass. Always something new.

P.Services
06-17-2009, 01:25 AM
i really want to get a chipmunk under my belt this year. seems to be a very high population this year to so my odds are good. i almost had one yesterday, this little dumbshit almost ran right into the discharge himself but at the last second he went righ behind the deck under the mower and out the other side. i was mad!!

06-17-2009, 01:35 AM
i really want to get a chipmunk under my belt this year. seems to be a very high population this year to so my odds are good. i almost had one yesterday, this little dumbshit almost ran right into the discharge himself but at the last second he went righ behind the deck under the mower and out the other side. i was mad!!

On that note... I am hoping to get a lil striped gopher that is bothering a lawn I do.... and I'll even go so far as to mess up the lawn stripes if he gives me the chance!!!

I've got hundreds of voles under my deck... they just make a quick "knock" noise as they hit the deck housing and leave a puff of fur in thier wake.

YardBoss Lawncare
06-17-2009, 01:35 AM
I was mowing Sonic a few years ago, and the guy who owns it asked me to mow the lot next door (he owned the empty lot too). So I did, and someone had cut a flagpole down with a torch and left about 2 or 3 inches of the pipe sticking up out of the ground. I never saw it and hit it going at normal speed. It bent the top of the deck where the spindle assembly bolts on, broke the spindle assembly, and ruined the blade. It ended up being a $500 fix. I always watch and am a pretty observant guy, but sometimes things just slip by and it happens. That's probably the worst thing i've hit though.

kaferhaus
06-17-2009, 01:40 AM
Most damaging was a 6" hidden cast iron pipe.

Worst was cow crap!

CowboysLawnCare
06-17-2009, 02:23 AM
Haha, Cow crap? You can't walk hardly anywhere on my 8 acres without stepping in cow or horse crap. Nothing new to this ole' country boy.

Richard Martin
06-17-2009, 06:45 AM
The worst thing I ever hit was a rusty horseshoe peg sticking up in some brown reeds. It blended right in. I broke a spindle on that one. I hit these last year. The huge 18"+ tent stake was just laying in the grass. I never saw it. The angle iron was on an overgrown lot.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/mower%20stuff/stake.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/mower%20stuff/angleiron.jpg

Tonic
06-17-2009, 08:43 AM
A field hockey ball ... it punched a hole through a brand new aluminium catcher. Only good pat was it also put a hole in the customers garage door. glad it didn't hit anyone.

Allens LawnCare
06-17-2009, 09:01 AM
I hit a mole, peeked up just enough to cut half it's face off......Doing a fall cleanup for a couple that have no kids and the lawn is always spotless I hit a kids baseball glove hidden by leaves. The ultravac sucked it right up and shut my mower down......took forever to take apart the vac and get all the leather out.....What else.....my sons pitching wedge with a brand new set of blades.....Sucks because I check everything first

G. Ramey
06-17-2009, 11:34 AM
I hit a piece of barbed wire lying in a rental yard. It was about 50 ft long and it all got pulled under the deck. I had to remove the blades and cut the wire into small pieces with bolt cutters to get it out.

44DCNF
06-17-2009, 11:43 AM
Softball sized chunk of a train wheel. It flew about 75 feet.

topsites
06-17-2009, 11:49 AM
Do y'all paint a notch on the side of the deck after a confirmed kill?
Kind of like war planes, and war ships have it, maybe tanks too.
Up near the nose.

You know, kind of like, the picture is an example...

93Chevy
06-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Is that your fulltime mower, topsites?

topsites
06-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Is that your fulltime mower, topsites?

What do you mean, that is a big upgrade from my first riding mower!

93Chevy
06-17-2009, 01:17 PM
LOL, I'm still using scissors. That bike looks like a big upgrade. Willing to sell?

On topic with this thread...I busted a shaft on a 21" when I hit a piece of rebar. Oops.

Right Touch
06-17-2009, 01:25 PM
one of my guys just sent me a picture of a frog with the top half of its head and back cleanly shaven off. the rest was completely intact

cphillips0053
06-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Do y'all paint a notch on the side of the deck after a confirmed kill?
Kind of like war planes, and war ships have it, maybe tanks too.
Up near the nose.

You know, kind of like, the picture is an example...

LMAO some of these posts are going to get me in trouble at work for laughing hysterically :laugh:

Hell on Blades
06-17-2009, 02:01 PM
Dog Chains are always a must .....

I hit an eye stake from a telephone pole -- no pole around, right in the middle of 2 acres...

Right Touch
06-17-2009, 02:13 PM
what about the 'ole catch the corner of the tarp trick? anyone ever do that? you think you have enough room but just catch the corner and half the tarp gets wound up under the blades you gotta take them all off to get it out?

greenred
06-17-2009, 02:16 PM
I was zipping along one spring day and got near the base of a tree. Leaves were still on the ground in some places. As I was going through the pile of leaves at the base of the tree I realized at the very last moment one was not a leaf but a baby fox squirrel curled up. I threw it into reverse but my momentum carried me right over it. I felt so bad. I love fox squirrels.

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv150/greenscag/Picture51267aa.jpg

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Worst thing I hit was a valve box that was too high. Brought my mower to a dead stop and sent me flying through the air, over my w/b till I landed flat on my back.

TheC-Master
06-17-2009, 02:53 PM
I'm generally fine, I've heard of someone hitting an anvil and sending the top piece flying, wonder what mower *they* were using. I hit a frog ages ago that looked like clam chowder, but that was back in the day.

Wizz
06-17-2009, 03:27 PM
I was zipping along one spring day and got near the base of a tree. Leaves were still on the ground in some places. As I was going through the pile of leaves at the base of the tree I realized at the very last moment one was not a leaf but a baby fox squirrel curled up. I threw it into reverse but my momentum carried me right over it. I felt so bad. I love fox squirrels.

At least you tried to avoid it which counts. Some people (mainly teenagers) in my area shoot every squirrel they see with their air rifles for no reason at all :hammerhead: ...very manly I tell you :weightlifter:

mysteryman
06-17-2009, 05:48 PM

I''m not sure if the photo is attached, but if you're in charge of pruning this tree, those stubs should be saw-cut flush with the trunk. The slight scraping of the tree bark will trigger the bark to cover over the 'wounds'. Left like these in the photo they will rot and leave holes in the tree for insects and disease to enter. I'm not trying to be critical, just sharing some information.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-17-2009, 05:58 PM
what about the 'ole catch the corner of the tarp trick? anyone ever do that? you think you have enough room but just catch the corner and half the tarp gets wound up under the blades you gotta take them all off to get it out?

Yes done that, only with contractor-grade landscape fabric. You catch one thread of that stuff and suck in the whole sheet - then you spend an hour cutting out all the threads off the spindles.

dlaros
06-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Rope and metal chains are just a pain in the a$$.

FromtheGroundUp
06-17-2009, 06:54 PM
i got to close to a back pack blower(which was laying on the ground). sucked up the tag end of the shoulder strap and riped it off and tangled up pretty good.
during leaf season is when you get in to the good stuff. the worst was some piece of thick wire (like a hanger), it made it through the deck and into my trac-vac. rapped up in the turbine ,had to take it into pieces.

KCfireman
06-17-2009, 06:57 PM
Man, I hate it when i run over a baby rabbits nests. I've done it twice in my life. Makes me cry every time. I didn't run over this but last year I found a $32,000 check written out to one of my accounts laying in his yard.

nosparkplugs
06-17-2009, 07:13 PM
RM I thought you took my stake:laugh: that is identical to the one I hit the first day, and first 3 minutes I had my BB, it shot the stake across the ground like a missle, and bent the Fusion blade into a 90 degree bend going down. Changed the blade out mowing again.

The worst thing I ever hit was a rusty horseshoe peg sticking up in some brown reeds. It blended right in. I broke a spindle on that one. I hit these last year. The huge 18"+ tent stake was just laying in the grass. I never saw it. The angle iron was on an overgrown lot.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/mower%20stuff/stake.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/mower%20stuff/angleiron.jpg

YardBoss Lawncare
06-17-2009, 08:05 PM
How about hay bale twine? Nothin like mowing a roadway in a small town where farmers road their machinery around on a daily basis and you hit a rats nest of baling twine. At least it doesn't tear anything up though.

Exmarks.The.Spot
06-17-2009, 08:18 PM
I have ran over a family of bunnies. Got a bunch of fur all over the house and blood.

thu cutting edge
06-17-2009, 08:37 PM
the worst thing i have hit a ground hog with the turf tiger. if you dont know but ground hogs skin is like hitting a 5lb spool of string. it was a pain to get out.

From Dust 'til Lawn
06-17-2009, 08:40 PM
I hit a piece of carpet in this guys overgrown yard....I ripped it from under the deck and put the machine right back on the trailer....told the guys son who was there to tell his old man to call me when all the crap is out of the yard....still hasn't called.....lucky me....

TomberLawn
06-17-2009, 09:03 PM
This thread reminds me of a video on the Toro website. They have a mower running and shove a 1" steel rod straight up under the deck. The rod bends over and doesn't look like it damages the mower at all.

kjslawn
06-17-2009, 09:22 PM
Hit a turtle today sliced it in half

93Chevy
06-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Not quite as bad as tarps are the mesh netting thrown over bushes or gardens to keep the birds out. That tangles up pretty good too.

STIHL GUY
06-17-2009, 10:45 PM
i hit some wire that got twisted around my blades pretty good. there was no damage and i took care of it with wire cutters. i have also hit baby bunnies nesting in long grass. the worst part was i was bagging so i had see the guts when i went to empty the bag

Think Green
06-17-2009, 10:51 PM
Do you really want to know????
1. 9 mm pistol...................too bad!..........too rusted to sell!
2. manhole lid...................cost me money!.....to heavy to throw at the house!!
3. bag of cannibus...........cost someone else some money!....defubately couldn't sell!
4. good pair of Oakley sunglasses.........hated that one!
5. Harley pegs........someone was pissed I bet...........sold them!
6. dog chain spring................cost me some major money.........I hope they rot!!
7. kittens................ooops!
8. squirrells.............they were too slow!
9. constatina wire............really cost me some money..........damnit!
10. barded wire.......damn farmer's
11. roll of 55 gallon plastic bags..........what a nightmare for the spindles.
12. good cell phone.....rang all the way up into the ghs hopper..........hated that one!
13. new pack of cigarettes............damn really hated that one!
14. Ken and Barbie..............should've got a room not on the lawn! LOL!!!!
15. Bailing twine..........I am glad the horse's werent around.!!??
16. Skunk...........won't go there!!!!!
17. PSP.............man the stuff people leave lying around in the grass!

Too many other things but my head hurts.......sorry, gotta stop!!!!!

MileHigh
06-17-2009, 10:57 PM
about 14 baby bunnies, and a manhole.

Pietro
06-17-2009, 11:04 PM
I once was mowing a yard and got inches from a sunday newspaper and BAM it got sucked in. Holy crap. Confetti nightmare. Impossible to clean up.

MileHigh
06-17-2009, 11:10 PM
I once was mowing a yard and got inches from a sunday newspaper and BAM it got sucked in. Holy crap. Confetti nightmare. Impossible to clean up.

Happened to me TWICE last season.

Once in front of the clients neighbors.

cphillips0053
06-17-2009, 11:26 PM
Hit a breaker box on the tractor. Broke the PTO arm and busted a hole in the bush hog. Just the normal critters and trash on the mowers.

freshprince94
06-17-2009, 11:56 PM
I've hit a metal dog chain before with a w/b. It got stuck in the blades, and i had to untangle it. No damage, but a huge PITA.

pinto n mwr
06-18-2009, 12:09 AM
lets see... cat and a rabbit, accident though. Barn Swallows on purpose. I consider it an art form because it's all about timing.

Blood Bought
06-18-2009, 12:14 AM
Hit a golf ball, ricocheted off a wall, hit my hand broke my finger. Golfers suck.:nono:

TomberLawn
06-18-2009, 12:25 AM
Hit a golf ball, ricocheted off a wall, hit my hand broke my finger. Golfers suck.:nono:

I always had to look out for golf balls at one yard. The man's grandsons (about 5 or 6 years old) hit them all over the yard and never picked them up. I started adding them to my collection for driving practice behind the house.

chuacro
06-18-2009, 12:29 AM
What do you mean, that is a big upgrade from my first riding mower!

you owe me a cold bud. It went a flying after I saw your post.:cool2:

just4funthen
06-18-2009, 01:06 AM
Well over the past few years I and others that work for me manage to hit a great deal of things. We take care of a large cluster of huge commerial buildings. One of which is a paper company, the employees could careless whats on the lawn. I must bag a couple pounds of paper there and nylon/steel banding, twine, etc. I have seen workers clip the sides of the water pipe caps, man hole covers, fist size rocks, dead raccoon carcass, that was bad. Made him scrap the deck bout 10 mins later!! Ran over a $10 bill, cell phone, wire, stuffed animal (which are fun) old tree stumps. Never ran over a bunny yet but trimmed the back legs off of 2 bunnies before.

VelociRaptor
06-18-2009, 01:08 AM
There was a telephone pole that was taken down and the cable removed but I found the anchor!

Hawg City Lawns
06-18-2009, 01:14 AM
manhole cover

yuandrew
06-18-2009, 05:22 AM
One of these

http://www.taiwantrade.com.tw/EP/resources/member/18935/productcatalog/HJ01011.jpg

Tom'sLandscapeDesign
06-18-2009, 10:54 AM
Knock on wood Ive never hit anything major while mowing.

Yesterday I did catch the corner of a tarp and sent shreds all over the place, though. Took me a good 5 minutes to pick all of them up..

Thomas_e102
06-18-2009, 12:33 PM
Dog chain. I chased a sank in a back yard just last week. The yard looked like a F1 race track after I got him. I bet the people across the street thought I had a 12 pack for lunch. Took me about 1/2 hour to get the stripes looking good. I hate sanks

TheUfan
06-18-2009, 02:37 PM
i hit a 4 foot long copperhead. it was about as thick as a baseball bat. actually bogged the engine down, a 25 kohler. i wasnt getting off the mower if the engine died. other things, bricks, cinder blocks, newspapers buried under years of growth (laughed until i realized who had to clean it up).

Richard Martin
06-18-2009, 03:15 PM
I chased a sank in a back yard just last week. I hate sanks

Pray tell. What is a sank?

Thomas_e102
06-18-2009, 07:04 PM
Sank is a inside joke for a guy I mow with. To long of a story. Really it was a snake about 3 feet long. If I was walking it I would have left the mower but, the surfer ran it down.

Escapeslawncare
06-18-2009, 07:09 PM
A tire iron, cut the part wear the lug nut goes in half didnt to any damage to anything

Ryall Landscaping
06-18-2009, 07:49 PM
I was mowing our townhouses' lawn once and one of the tenants had a huge inflatable halloween decoration set up and it had these tiny fringes. Well, the fringes were just long enough to catch into the blades and a half a second later nearly the whole thing (electrical cord and all ;)) was caught up in the blades..That one was fun.

Meanwhile, they were watching the whole time. They were newly weds and were quite understanding, however their little girl was not. She screamed about how I killed it and stuff..I felt bad.

cableguy2
07-13-2009, 02:38 PM
I launched a straight 6 engine exhaust manifold out from under the deck. On the first time I used my new tractor on a new yard. that sucked. I hit a 6" cast iron water pipe buried in a ant hill about 14 years ago. that caused damage. An of course the usual bricks, concrete block pieces, kids toys and hand tools. etc...

johnnybravo8802
07-13-2009, 07:06 PM
I have a funny and smelly one. Last summer at my industrial plant, I had the Lesco rep bring out a 100" demo. It ran out of fuel and he was refueling it while I ran to the store for drinks. As I was rolling back into the drive, a skunk shot across the property directly towards the mower. It was instant-the rep engaged the blade the exact same minute the skunk ran up under the mower. I could actually hear the skunk pop and saw pieces come out in three different directions from under the mower. Believe it or not, there were still pieces there a month later and you could still smell the skunk!!!! That was really weird-the timing was perfect.:drinkup:

Wizz
07-13-2009, 07:20 PM
[QUOTE=TheUfan;3049884]i hit a 4 foot long copperhead. it was about as thick as a baseball bat. QUOTE]

I've seen a bunch of Copperheads and that is massive...most I've seen are a foot or two long, I'd hate to find one of those around our property with the kids and all.